Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made Arcade Machine???

Options

Comments

Steve SI wrote: »
    I think you might be out of luck with the P4 and integrated graphics for the DC emulation.

What about the generation 5 stuff? I already have the N64 up and running but it's the only 5G system on the cab so far. Do you reckon i could run a Sega Saturn or a PS1 emulator with my specs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I hope somebody comes back to you on this. I've only got a P4 2.8 single core in mine, and 4GB ram, and integrated gfx. Would be interested to see which emulators i could push it to run under XP.

Anyone?

Is that a desktop or a laptop? You'd get a cheap as chips gfx card be it AGP or PCI whatever format the mobo takes that could take all the work od the likes of ps1/dc emulation. A P4 though, they're not gonna be up to much when it comes to emulating 3d gfx

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is that a desktop or a laptop? You'd get a cheap as chips gfx card be it AGP or PCI whatever format the mobo takes that could take all the work od the likes of ps1/dc emulation. A P4 though, they're not gonna be up to much when it comes to emulating 3d gfx

It's a desktop mobo, and from memory i think it has one PCI express slot on it, but the physical dimensions of the cab only leaves me a tiny amount of room to actually fit it in, it's really tight in there. theres barely enough room for the height of the heatsync, and no room outside the footprints of the motherboard and PSU. I could make a low profile PCI express card work if i could find one i suppose, maybe with a jumper ribbon cable, but ideally i'd rather not pull the cab apart to get one in there, it would need a complete stripdown of everything, hence i wanted to see how far i could get on the integrated gfx.

I might get away with emulating PS1. ePSXe system requirements seem pretty low apart from the graphics card (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPSXe#System_requirements) but sega saturn seems like it could be tougher. SSF seems to want a higher spec, but again i've no clue on this stuff. I'm not too hot with hardware specs post the P4 era, i haven't been involved in the PC hardware game in a good few years, since the profit margins collapsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Lads any idea why I'm getting the below problem when trying to play mortal kombat??? all my other games play perfect
    7CAE77BE-D4DA-4A5B-9C91-A901EA16AED2-2159-000000E19064ADDE.jpg
    7C2A30A1-7ED1-44E6-B751-65F3C3CC56A8-2159-000000E186B4D93A.jpg

Anyone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Corrupt rom maybe ? Have you tried a different rom version on it ?

Id lean towards a corrupt rom too, but then why would Mame load it, surely it'd fail the checks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd say the system is saving you from playing an awful game!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd say the system is saving you from playing an awful game!

Woah woah woah!!! Mortal kombat was a staple of my teenage diet ill have not a bad word said against it haha.. I haven't tried a different rom set or mame version but since every other game I tried works I don't see it being that but I'm just a noob what do I know... The sound and all plays perfect and I can assign buttons and press them and so forth just a bad picture

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Perhaps the game can tell its on a wide-screen TV and is refusing to work out of principle :)

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Perhaps the game can tell its on a wide-screen TV and is refusing to work out of principle :)
    Haha nice!!!
    Ill have to ask it nicely... Maybe mortal kombat has more principles than street fighter and the likes :)

Maybe mortal kombat has more principles than street fighter and the likes :)

Not regarding human rights anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Are you using s-Video or RGB/15KHZ?
    Does MK2 play OK?

Are you using s-Video or RGB/15KHZ?
    Does MK2 play OK?
    I'm using svideo to one of them scart adapters until I solder the rest of my VGA .. No none of the mortal kombats work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'd imagine the sVideo is not capable of running its resolution 400x256(i think)

Oh right so I'm snookered till I get a VGA to scart.. Is there anywhere to buy one I tried soldering the VGA end yesterday and again it went horribly wrong !!!! eBay seem to only have scart out to VGA if that makes sense

Got my control panel CPO and marquee today and buttons and joysticks arrived last week ... Plexi for CPO and marquee on the way, glass for screen ordered and t molding on its way so hopefully not long till its done

(Pic of artwork)

Might be clutching at straws here but would the bad image i am getting when play MK be from running romset 146 on mame version 147?? it has just dawned on me that i will have a MK themed cab that isnt able to play MK... That's not good me thinks:mad::mad:

Might be clutching at straws here but would the bad image i am getting when play MK be from running romset 146 on mame version 147?? it has just dawned on me that i will have a MK themed cab that isnt able to play MK... That's not good me thinks:mad::mad:

If the rom version/checksum isn't the version Mame expects when loading it, it won't run it & will come up with an error

If the rom version/checksum isn't the version Mame expects when loading it, it won't run it & will come up with an error

it wont run it at all??
    so its nothing to do with the difference in versions?

• Advertisement

it wont run it at all??
    so its nothing to do with the difference in versions?

Not in my experience anyway, it'll tell you as much too. Run the roms through clrmamepro with your mame executable & see what it says

Not in my experience anyway, it'll tell you as much too. Run the roms through clrmamepro with your mame executable & see what it says

OK will give that a go when i get home and post how i get on thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Following this thread with great interest... Well done so far Andrew... excellent knowledge base for when i get around to this myself... Eventually! :D

Access wrote: »
    Following this thread with great interest... Well done so far Andrew... excellent knowledge base for when i get around to this myself... Eventually! :D

No problem mate hopefully it can help other people starting off.. Ill be painting and putting the artwork on hopefully the weekend so will post up pics.. Any questions feel free to ask ill answer the best I can with what I've learned.. Just take the plunge and start it and do bits when you can its more enjoyable that way and ends up better quality.. If ou set a time limit on it you will start rushing and won't enjoy it as much

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭steviebg

Hey Andrew nice art work, can i ask where you got them printed? Been looking for a place local to print something for me but some of the quote's i'm getting back are a bit silly!

steviebg wrote: »
    Hey Andrew nice art work, can i ask where you got them printed? Been looking for a place local to print something for me but some of the quote's i'm getting back are a bit silly!

Ye I know I was the same!! My marquee and CPO only cost 30 euro which I taught was a great price... Do you know what artwork you want?? I can give you the chaps email or if you want I could sort it for you.. He does be busy with work but will def do it for you!!

Either would be great, i'm going to use the one i found on here think it was put up by keithgeo. Going to use it as a temporary cpo and marquee till i learn how to use photoshop and design something original.

Jesus 30 euro is fantastic just got a quote in there for 216 euro for the two:eek:

steviebg wrote: »
    Either would be great, i'm going to use the one i found on here think it was put up by keithgeo. Going to use it as a temporary cpo and marquee till i learn how to use photoshop and design something original.

Jesus 30 euro is fantastic just got a quote in there for 216 euro for the two:eek:

216 euro was that for sideart aswell.. Of you build your own cab?? Any pics??

No just for the marquee and cpo art.

• Advertisement

216 euro was that for sideart aswell.. Of you build your own cab?? Any pics??

What??? Thanks crazy was it on gold leaf paper?

Advertisement