Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options
1515253545557»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Brewed a Saison with the Mangrove Jacks French Saison yeast 4 weeks ago, added some Mosaic dry hop, about 50g in a 21 litre batch.

Opened one over the weekend, lovely Saison flavours (I took the ferm temp up to 28 for a couple of days, but mostly in the 24-26 bracket), and the hops set it off.

I did about 2.8 co2 too, and it's carbing up nicely. Finished at 1.004, but doesn't come across as dry.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

feylya wrote: »
    Hopefully going to be doing 2 brews this weekend. One is a 0.5% Nanny State clone, the other is a 6.5% black IPA, which could be interesting...

Just kegged the black IPA. I am very, very happy with this.

This weekend, I did a grapefruit IPA, a citra raspberry milkshake IPA, and a citra IPA. I am tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

A good mate of mine asked me to introduce him to brewing, so 6 weeks ago I took my Bulldog up to his apartment and we brewed a Stout with 15% Choc, 15% Roast. Perle hops at 60 and 15, 66g all in.

It was a bit of a disaster, just after the mash was finished, before we started Sparging there was a mishap with the equipment which saw about 6 litres of hot wort splash all over my friend and out onto the apartment floor, first thing we had to do was get him into a cold shower to make sure he wasn't scalded, then clean up the floor, took about an hour, during which time the grain just sat in the reduced water volume.

We eventually sparged then boiled then transferred to the FV - when we discovered we'd no lid so we StarSan'd up a load of tinfoil and made a lid.

There was no real way to use a copper chiller either, so I left him with instructions to leave the FV on the balcony overnight, then take it in before the sun hit the balcony and pitch the yeast (US05!).

Three weeks later we bottled it, ended up with only 10 litres as the trub was massive.

Opened a bottle Sunday night, and the beer is a lovely intense chocolate stout, not a million miles from Leann Follain, so that's a good outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Sounds like you gave him a proper introduction to homebrewing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

You do know that Smithwicks are going to copy that in there next TV add.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

feylya wrote: »
    a citra raspberry milkshake IPA.

I'm loving Rascals Strawberry Vanilla Milkshake.
    Any chance of your recipe

stecleary wrote: »
    I'm loving Rascals Strawberry Vanilla Milkshake.
    Any chance of your recipe

I kinda hated that stuff the first time I tried it. This is supposed to be more like Brewdog/Omnipollo's Fruit Bat, and it completely stolen from a YouTuber (his link is in the recipe) https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/476159/citra-raspberry-ipa-smoothie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Finally going to start brewing beer. I have been messing with cider which turned out decent.
    Going to use the approach below. One gallon boil for 15 minutes using one pound of light DME and one ounce of simcoe. I'll use centenial in the next batch.
    After a few extract brews I'll move on to brew in a bag.

http://beerandwinejournal.com/speedy-homebrewing/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

First brew in months. Got a bit paranoid as I thought my plug had blown a fuse so switched over for another kettle lead.

After 60mins I return to a smoking plug from the socket and a melted one too. At least the beer made it...

• Advertisement

two brew weekends in a row :)

SN Clone and Mint Choc Stout fermenting away at the mo, the stout took off like lightening after only a few hours, started at 1.071

Loving my new bulldog brewer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So been brewing on and off for a few months now. My first couple of batches were extract only short boil Pale Ales (a pound of light malt and ounce of hops, one with simcoe and another with centennial). Both tasted nice but that was down to it being pure hops, I think if you don't infect your beer and have enough hops in your recipe it's hard to make a bad beer (if you're into hoppy beers obviously).
    Next couple of batches were a mixture of malt and extract, a rye pale ale and red ale (both had Marris Otter as base and differing quantities of both C 120 and rye), they were nice but I should have let them age for longer.
    The I made my entry into all grain brewing, my planned recipes were a stout (one called Terminator Stout by a brew bar in Oregon) and an English style pale ale with some cascade (although the abv would have been on the higher side).
    As I'm only doing one gallon batches I try not to buy tiny amounts of malt so for the specialty malts in both of these I had a mix of C60 and Munich with roast barley for the stout.
    The yeast I used was Windsor, for the stout I started with a gravity of around 1.06 and within 10 days it went to 1.035 and stalled for a week, after a week I gave the carboy a swirl an it picked up again going to 1.010 in another week. Shortly after I bottled and left for about 10 days at room temperature and 10 days in the fridge.
    When I opened the stout I had a gusher, foam rushed out from the bottle and the beer tasted awful. It was a very harsh metallic taste with no underlying malt or hop taste. The exact same thing happened with the pale ale, the only common factor was the yeast (which also stalled in the pale ale) and the specialty malts. I also brewed these in the middle of a hot spell here in California and I don't have great temperature control so something must have happened the yeast.
    Funnily enough I also made a cider with the Windsor yeast and it fermented really quickly, almost to 1.00 in two weeks. Obviously it's a dry one and tastes good (I'll let the remaining bottles sit until Christmas).
    After that I made a saison (1.33 pounds of Belgian Pilsner with 0.67 of Vienna and 0.4 ounce of Saaz), this turned out very nice and I'll definitely brew a lot more for the warmer months.
    I also made a wheat beer (a mix of wheat and munich), I put too much cascade in it and decided to soften it a bit with a small amount of citra dry hopping. This also turned out nice and isn't just pure hops.
    Currently I have a Marris Otter Centennial SMASH in bottles which should be ready in a week or so.
    Next I think I will try a Porter and an English Mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Doing a clone of Schneider Tap1 this weekend, using Nelson Sauvin aroma hops for a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

24lt of cider, made with my own apples.. fingers crossed it'll be ready by xmas

hope to do a Canadian blonde as well..will it be ready by xmas?? too? anyone do it before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Trillum Fort Point Ale from byo magazine. I had a bit of a messup with the yeast as don't think I smacked hard enough. First time using that stuff. Might need some us-05 for backup

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

just brewed a Rye Mild today, got an American pale done last Saturday.

Mint Chocolate Stout, Imperial Red Ale and SMASH bottled and conditioned
    Mango Milkshake and Chilli Wit cold crashing as of this afternoon, will be bottled Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Razorback IPA in bottle which I opened at the weekend, and it's very nice. Got a triple in the primary FV, to be moved to the secondary mid week and I'll bottling that around the 29th.

Advertisement