Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

brew went well, I forgot to weigh the zest, but there was 1.6lt of juice , and the OG of the juice was 1.050

8 Grapefruit and 6 Oranges, the juice was very, very orangey, but once it went into the boil (last 5, with the zest) the aroma of the grapefruit was most prominent, although some Citra, Amarillo and Mosaic went in at the same time.

Fermenting on WLP001 at 18 for 4 days, up to 19 then 20 over about 12 days, then rack and add more grapefruit juice and zest, finally dry hopping with more of the above 3 hops, and maybe something else and bottle in 3 weeks.

Initially anyway, it all seems positive.

I threw some Baking Soda into the mash just to counter the acidity of the citrus juice, hopefully I balanced that right.

Rye IPA tomorrow

5kg Pale
    1kg Rye

Going to bitter this with 50g Huell Melon, then put 45g Belma in for the last 10 mins

Dry hop for 4 days
    80g Hallertauer Blanc
    50g Styrian Goldings
    40g Pacific Gem
    15g Mosaic

That's a collection of left over hops from various brews over the last few months.
    ...also threw in 200g Citra for a couple of days before bottling.

Bottled last weekend, and I opened one tonight. It's not fully carbed, but the flavour is lovely, mostly Citra, but the Hallertauer Blanc comes through just underneath giving a slight white wine thing or something.

Another week conditioning and it will be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

Did my first BIAB on friday, Aiming for an Irish Red but im thinking of dry hoping and turning it more American Pale Ale, got on fine with Ace Boiler and tucked up nicely with the Inkbird in the brew fridge and holding temp nicely

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

200g! No expense spared! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Currently supping a Kit apa that I hacked with a hop steep, loads of dry hopping and throwing the kit yeast in the bin and using some US05.

Tasting lovely if I do say so myself after 3 weeks in the bottle. I reckon it will be even better in two weeks.

Used a standard coopers apa kit and 1.5kg coopers amber LME as the base, filled to 25L.
    Steeped with Simcoe and then dry hopped with simcoe, columbus and cascade.

Might try the same recipe with different hope again as it think it worked really well.

Anyone have any kit apa/ipa recomendations? What are the mangrove jacks kits like?

Will be moving to AG in the next few months when myself and the boss move house, but putting it on the back burner as everything is up in a hape while getting the new place sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Bottled last weekend, and I opened one tonight. It's not fully carbed, but the flavour is lovely, mostly Citra, but the Hallertauer Blanc comes through just underneath giving a slight white wine thing or something.

Another week conditioning and it will be good to go.

Bittering with Huell Melon seems like a waste to me? Pretty low AA profile. It's a lovely hop but I'd maximise it's properties by using it at flame out for the last 5 day in primary before bottling.

Bittering with Huell Melon seems like a waste to me? Pretty low AA profile. It's a lovely hop but I'd maximise it's properties by using it at flame out for the last 5 day in primary before bottling.

I had a few different hops lying around from various previous brews, it was either use them or feck them out.

I'm of the opinion, from tasting a load of homebrews over the last 3 years (at homebrewer meets) that you are pretty much wasting your time with 50g additions of aroma hops at any stage, hence me using 385g all-in for the dry hop in this beer. I think the homebrew shops are receiving sub-par hops, and that's understandable when the commercials with the big contracts are getting the same hops from the same sources, and the delay between the commercials releasing fresh-hop beers and then the most recent harvest appearing in the shops (the 2016 NH harvest only appeared in the UK/Ire hombrew shops at the end of Feb or the start of March, they were harvested in September & October! and god knows how they'd been stored or treated at the various points between West Coast USA and arrival to me).

Also, I'd brewed a RIS for a barrel collaboration and the recipe for that, which was provided to the group, used some pretty eye-opening hops in the early stages and that kind of inspired me - Pacific Gem, Mosaic and Belma all at 60m, total 80g. So you can get bittering from high amounts of low AA hops, but I also think you can get some character too. This particular beer was stuck into an Italian red wine barrel for six months. It tasted amazing at the start, and I have some non-barrel bottles left for comparison, I'll be getting my share from the barrel in 2 weeks, bottle it up and leave it until Xmas.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Another round of my strawberry beer. Nightmare brew - figured out a bunch of things I was doing wrong, and ended up with nearly double my preboil og. Had enough water to sort it though. There's gonna be a lot of this beer around...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

feylya wrote: »
    There's gonna be a lot of this beer around...

That's not a bad problem to have!

Going to attempt a NEIPA this weekend. Pale Malt, Wheat Malt and Oats

Columbus, Amarillo, Simcoe, Mosaic and Citra all pretty much whirlpool and dry hop additions, using 500g of hops all in for this one. If you're not going big, go home.

Vermont yeast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Trying similar myself, pale, wheat, oats w/mosaic, citra and el dorado maybe some cascade also vermont yeast.

Was thinking I may need some caramalt to give it a more orangy colour?

ha! I was just thinking that too, gonna add some of that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

ha! I was just thinking that too, gonna add some of that alright.

I added melanoidin to my first effort. Wasn't overpowering and gave it a just tint of orange. I'll be keeping my grain bill as is going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

I added melanoidin to my first effort. Wasn't overpowering and gave it a just tint of orange. I'll be keeping my grain bill as is going forward.

Great thread here if you're looking for some advice on brewing one of these

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046

I recently brewed the updated recipe from the original post

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7701386&postcount=1418

It's just carbed up in the keg and is tasting brilliant, I'd strongly recommend it to anyone looking to brew this style.

What kind of water profile are you using Liam?

He seems to be suggesting a Chloride forward, which would be more in line with Stouts or malty beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

What kind of water profile are you using Liam?

He seems to be suggesting a Chloride forward, which would be more in line with Stouts or malty beers.

About 140 ppm of both sulfate and chloride, the idea with the higher chloride profile is that it's supposedly gives the beer a smoother profile with some more body. The sulfates are still pretty high so in theory you'd still get strong hop profile from that. The result is that I'm getting great hop flavour and the beer is very smooth with good body, if you look at the second link there the guy has tried it with multiple profiles and he reckons all produce a good beer just down to personal preference which you go for. I've seen high chlorides mentioned a lot in this style.

very interesting thanks.

I did 75:150 sulfate:chloride. Definitely gives it a smooth, almost chalky mouthfeel, for lack of a better word. Next iteration, I'm bumping up to 100:200

Does it affect the hop flavour?

My mains supply is quite Chloride heavy and for years my hop flavours were abysmal, and it wasn't until I started correcting it with treatments, or even building a profile using Tesco Ashbeck water than my IPAs have had the hop profile to even warrant the label IPA.

It's making me nervous, but maybe the Sulfates weren't where they needed to be either.

My head is going to be wrecked with this until Saturday morning when I bite the bullet and decide what to do.

Not that I could tell anyway. Flavour was great, but faded after a few weeks as you'd expect. The aroma was the same. If someone pulled a pint of this, you could smell it across the kitchen. Fantastic tropical aroma. A non craft beer drinking friend said it reminded him of a Solero ice cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Making Elvis Juice tonight, though with different malt as the colour didn't work out right with their recipe... That and I've got a bag of Hook Head that needs using! ;)

I did 75:150 sulfate:chloride. Definitely gives it a smooth, almost chalky mouthfeel, for lack of a better word. Next iteration, I'm bumping up to 100:200

Chlorides above Sulfates?

Hmm, I'm not ready to go there yet, I usually do about 300:85 ish, so I'm bumping the Chlorides to 150 for this one

6.5kg Pale
    1kg White Wheat
    500g Melanoiden
    200g Oats

Yep Chlorides above Sulfates :) I'll update here when I do my next one at 200ppm. I'm chasing that pillowy mouth feel that the BrewDog/Cloudwater collab had.

On a different note, I brewed a saison today inspired by Hope's Grunt. One of my favourite beers at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Have a hoppy session brown ale on at the minute that I hope to serve at BrewCon.

58% Pils malt
    14% Crystal 40
    9% Crystal 80
    9% Carapils
    7% Wheat Malt
    3% Chocolate Malt
    32 IBU Northern Brewer at 60 minutes
    12 IBU Northern Brewer at 15 minutes
    8 IBU Cascade at 10 minutes
    13 IBU Cascade at 0 minutes (whirlpool)

Have a corny dryhopper so will be throwing in 60g of Centennial a few days before serving. High IBUs but have offset this with a higher mash temp (68c) to give it a bit more body.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Brewed a Best Bitter yesterday based on Timothy Taylor.

Golden Promise
    Naked golden oats
    black malt, added last few mins of mash

Ekg @ 60, styrian goldings @ 10 + 0

1469 yeast

Grapefruit IPA

This has been bottled 2 weeks now, I opened one last weekend when the sun was warm and the BBQ was firing, it was disappointing, too much bitter grapefruit, low carb.

Of course, opening beers early is a fools errand, but this week it's great. YUGE aroma of Grapefruit, nice on the palate too.

Lovely clean IPA with a really good grapefruit character.

Just finished making an Imperial Stout. It's come out at 1.100, which is a first for me. Not a terrible brewday, just really long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Doing a Red Rye IPA this weekend, based loosely on the recently published Ruthless recipe

80% Pale
    12.5% Rye
    6% Crystal 40
    1.5% Choc

30g Equinox bittering

Citra/Summit/Magnum 120g Whirlpool

Equinox/Citra/Summit/Magnum/Simcoe 350g Dry Hop

Just in time for the real summer bbq season, I do like a nice Rye IPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Going to attempt a NEIPA this weekend. Pale Malt, Wheat Malt and Oats

Columbus, Amarillo, Simcoe, Mosaic and Citra all pretty much whirlpool and dry hop additions, using 500g of hops all in for this one. If you're not going big, go home.

Vermont yeast.
    Chlorides above Sulfates?

Hmm, I'm not ready to go there yet, I usually do about 300:85 ish, so I'm bumping the Chlorides to 150 for this one

6.5kg Pale
    1kg White Wheat
    500g Melanoiden
    200g Oats

Opened this tonight, having been in the bottle for 2.5 weeks.

Amazing beer.

• Advertisement

Hopefully going to be doing 2 brews this weekend. One is a 0.5% Nanny State clone, the other is a 6.5% black IPA, which could be interesting...

Advertisement