Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭xlogo

Cheers - any shops I could get a kit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

xlogo wrote: »

Both the links supplied are shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

xlogo wrote: »

If you're looking for a shop you walk into and you live in Dublin then check out the Mottly Brew based out in Glasnevin Industrial estate.

http://themottlybrew.ie/contact2/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

fobster wrote: »
    If you're looking for a shop you walk into and you live in Dublin then check out the Mottly Brew based out in Glasnevin Industrial estate.

http://themottlybrew.ie/contact2/

Motley brew is a great facility to have and the owner is dead on.

I'd highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Nice looking IPA brewed earlier in the year

2016-05-21%2019.42.30_zpskrogimfa.jpg

• Advertisement

stuck on a "Kölsch" yesterday; pilsner malt, vienna malt, hallertau hops. Using the MJ Cal Common yeast so interested to see how it ends up.

This was my first time using hop pellets as opposed to leaf hops. Normally I just throw the hops into my stock pot during the boil and then when transferring to the fermenter I line the bucket with my mashing bag to remove the hop debris. This works fine with leaf, not so much with pellets as they completed clogged the bag and I ended up with a giant balloon full of wort when I lifted it out! After much squeezing and shaking of the bag I managed to get the wort into the bucket, but I'll have to rethink things before the next brew.

I went with pellets this time because I was ordering from Geterbrewed custom recipe service. I don't brew often enough to justify having large stocks of grain and hops lying around going stale - the last beer I did was a pale ale that was absolutely loaded with hops, but turned out disappointing because the hops were all quite old from the freezer. The GEB service is great, but only does pellets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Extremley hungover and doing a brewday was a very bad idea

1072 OG

loyatemu wrote: »
    This was my first time using hop pellets as opposed to leaf hops. Normally I just throw the hops into my stock pot during the boil and then when transferring to the fermenter I line the bucket with my mashing bag to remove the hop debris. This works fine with leaf, not so much with pellets as they completed clogged the bag and I ended up with a giant balloon full of wort when I lifted it out! After much squeezing and shaking of the bag I managed to get the wort into the bucket, but I'll have to rethink things before the next brew...

Ha, tell me about it! Pellets are a killer, I've started whirlpooling now after I cool the wort to pitching temp I stir it up in the kettle and get a proper vortex going then cover it and leave it for 30 minutes to let the hop trub settle to the bottom then I pour my wort through a fine mesh strainer which also helps to aerate the wort...

Problem is when it comes to bottling after dry-hopping with 5oz of pellets, I wrapped a small mesh bag around the siphon mouth but the flow got clogged so had to keep pumping the wort through the auto-siphon. I was pretty worried the brew was going to oxidised to hell but I think I did pretty well. I guess dry-hopping in a large mesh bag would be a solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Hop spider and leaf hops are far less hassle . So many shops to choose from, so never bother with pellets.

Hop spider and leaf hops are far less hassle . So many shops to choose from, so never bother with pellets.

I only make half-size (12L) brews, so the hop quantities are small; leaf only seems to be available in 100g bags so I end up with a lot of hops in the freezer and they don't really keep that well.

• Advertisement

I only really started using pellets the last while to be fair but I've been told to put the pellets when dry-hopping in a big nylon mesh bag so to allow plenty circulation but keep the crud from blocking my syphon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Tonight I bottled up my HBC Telicherry saison kit which I dry hopped with amarillo. Tasting pretty good.

I also had to dump my gose, which I somehow made a balls of in the final stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

c - 13 wrote: »
    I also had to dump my gose, which I somehow made a balls of in the final stages.

Salty Balls ?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

oblivious wrote: »
    Salty Balls ?? :p

My salty balls got an infection :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Just bottled my Irish-American red ale. Made 10L with 28g fuggles @ 60mins and 18g Chinook @ 0mins. Had to use Edinburgh ale yeast rather than the Irish ale as it was all that was available.

Tastes great, rather unusual - I suppose the acid test will be in a couple of weeks when I start cracking them open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

c - 13 wrote: »
    My salty balls got an infection :(

:(

Did an Enigma IPA 3 weeks ago, was racked last weekend then dry hopped for 3 days, bottled today. It tastes exceptional and the aroma is pretty good too. Have to see what happens to it, because my recent IPAs have been a let down.

Did the same recipe today, but instead of using plain tap water we used Tesco Ashbeck as recommended at Brew Con by Dr Dudley. It's only €1.29 for 5 litres so not bad.

Did an Enigma IPA 3 weeks ago, was racked last weekend then dry hopped for 3 days, bottled today. It tastes exceptional and the aroma is pretty good too. Have to see what happens to it, because my recent IPAs have been a let down.

Did the same recipe today, but instead of using plain tap water we used Tesco Ashbeck as recommended at Brew Con by Dr Dudley. It's only €1.29 for 5 litres so not bad.

What advantage did he say the TEsco water gave? Does it suit IPAs?

It has the least ppm of all the minerals, of all the supermarket waters.

I just got a water profile done and the sulphate/chloride ratio is way off, here's the profile

Leixlip supply results are 20ppm chloride, 110ppm sulphate, 10.5 dKH or 188ppm as calcium carbonate hardness.

Attempting a double IPA (extract)

100 cars pills
    100 crystal 60
    100 chocolate

3 cans of LME

500g Belgian candy sugar.

2 oz nugget - 60mins
    2oz Citra - 1oz at 15mins
    and other 1oz at 5mins
    2oz fugals - 5 mins

Double IPA yeast can't remember the make.

Dry hop with 100g anthanum, maybe/probably more.
    Why anthanum?
    I have some in my shed I was going to use on a previous beer and well why not basically.

Not a planned brew really. Kinda just decided the other day is like to put on a double or strong IPA went to Motley, grabbed some stuff and went with it.

The owner there is a really nice guy. Always very helpful I must say.

Anyway a few pics attached. Kinda just took them as I remember if I'm honest.

Edit... Less than 24 hours later I have lots of bubbles. Yay.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't put chocolate in a double IPA, same for candi sugar.

RasTa wrote: »
    I wouldn't put chocolate in a double IPA, same for candi sugar.

Being honest it was a last minute thought with the candi sugar. It was sitting in the shed and yeah I just went with it. What's the worst that can happen.

As for the chocolate the grain bill was built by the guy from motley.

Ah look it'll be grand. Once it's drinkable I'm happy then I can make adjustments for the next one. Learning experience and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Two brews planned in the coming month.

1. Saison
    OG 1.048 FG 1.002
    Malt: Pilsner, Wheat
    Hops: Saaz
    Yeast: Wyeat 3711 French Saison

Goals: Bone dry, refreshingly funky and hoppy saison

2. Bohemian Pils
    OG 1.050 FG 1.002
    Malt: Minch Pilsner
    Hops: Hallertauer Mittelfrueh
    Yeast: White Labs WLP833 Bock Lager

Goals: My first lager brew. Looking for a delicious malty German style Pils. I want to try out Minch's Pilsner offering and this is the perfect way to do it.

Will provide more details if anyone is interested.

Two brews planned in the coming month.

2. Bohemian Pils
    OG 1.050 FG 1.002
    Malt: Minch Pilsner
    Hops: Hallertauer Mittelfrueh
    Yeast: White Labs WLP833 Bock Lager

Goals: My first lager brew. Looking for a delicious malty German style Pils. I want to try out Minch's Pilsner offering and this is the perfect way to do it.

Will provide more details if anyone is interested.

How are you planning to get the malty taste.. Decoction?

How are you planning to get the malty taste.. Decoction?

The yeast should hopefully do a lot of the work there. I can't do a proper decoction on my BIAB system. I toyed with adding some melanoidin as I've read that can do a job simulating a decoction, but I'm just going to try with 100% pilsner malt first (also a bit of acidulated to control mash pH).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Picked up everything I need for a batch of brewdog #120 Electric India saison today - saisons are about all I can reliably keep at temperature in this weather. Brewday tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dioni

brews planned in the coming week:
    - bochet (burnt honey mead) with cherry juice,
    - dog rose (rosa canina) wine.

1077 Pliney the Elder 4.0

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2015/10/pliny-elder-40.html

I cannot wait to get this into a keg.

bog standard ipa tomorrow, small amount of Bravo for bittering, then Cascade and Chinook late additions.

5kg pale, 250g each of Crystal 40 and Caramalt

• Advertisement

Finished & currently drinking - French Saison with Saaz, Dry Irish Stout (33% Rye)
    Fermenting - IPA featuring Mosaic, Azacca & Columbus
    Bottle Conditioning - German Pilsner
    Planned - Red IPL - A red Indian Pale Lager to make use of my Pilsner yeast cake and my leftover Mosaic and Azacca.

Advertisement