Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Premier League: Pre-Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Everyone will be having kagawa for that price, siggy is too expensive for me but may look better value if vdv leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Why does everyone think Kagawa is such magnificent value? Valencia started at 8 million last year, even cheaper and see how he did. Ok, he was a fantastic for whenever he played but the fact is that SAF barely gave him any gametime for the first half of the season and only ended up on the team full-time thanks to injuries, therefore he pretty much merited his 8.0 price tag. Same goes for Kagawa imo, he'll be rotated heavily for a lot of the season. Remember that he's a centre mid, mostly attacking. United already have Anderson, Scholes and Carrick and plenty of strikers. Carrick's an old faithful, same with Scholes, while Anderson is just an awesome player. Kagawa will have a hard time getting on that team unless they start changing their formations.

However, I could be wrong. I'm just speculating. I'm very excited about it starting up again :) The start is the best part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

FatRat wrote: »
    Why does everyone think Kagawa is such magnificent value? Valencia started at 8 million last year, even cheaper and see how he did. Ok, he was a fantastic for whenever he played but the fact is that SAF barely gave him any gametime for the first half of the season and only ended up on the team full-time thanks to injuries, therefore he pretty much merited his 8.0 price tag. Same goes for Kagawa imo, he'll be rotated heavily for a lot of the season. Remember that he's a centre mid, mostly attacking. United already have Anderson, Scholes and Carrick and plenty of strikers. Carrick's an old faithful, same with Scholes, while Anderson is just an awesome player. Kagawa will have a hard time getting on that team unless they start changing their formations.

However, I could be wrong. I'm just speculating. I'm very excited about it starting up again :) The start is the best part.
    if you did some research you know Valencia picked up an ankle injury on international duty with Ecuador at the Copa América during the summer of 2011. He missed United's entire pre-season tour of the United States because of the injury. He also missed the first month of the season because of a lack of match fitness. once fit he replaced smalling at right back and kept it for 3 matches untill he was moved into midfield he was pretty much nailed on from there. SAF will play 4-1-3-2 this season with Kagawa in the hole behind the striker freeing rooney of the role he was made do last season.
    rumour has it kagawa was offered the no7 shirt but declined it, so valencia will now wear the famous 7 jersey dispelling rumours that he was gunna be used as a right back/wing back this season imo. both are nailed on starters for me, its nani and young i wouldnt play......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

United's starting XI when everyone is fully fit is Young on the left and Nani on the right the vast majority of the time.

We had a huge discussion about it last season, so I put the research in. Can't find it now, but up until roughly April of last season, Young, Valencia, and Nani were all fit together for only about a dozen PL games, and in something like 8-9 of those games, Valencia didn't start.

The weeks I counted were only included if all 3 were at least subs or played in a league cup match mid-week.

Valencia is the fan favourite, and the FF favourite to boot, but the stats were phenomenally against him when you counted the weeks when all 3 were fit. He was very often relegated to bench or cup games against weaker teams.

And all this took his early injury into account. Like I said, I only counted weeks all 3 were fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

carlcon wrote: »
    United's starting XI when everyone is fully fit is Young on the left and Nani on the right the vast majority of the time.

We had a huge discussion about it last season, so I put the research in. Can't find it now, but up until roughly April of last season, Young, Valencia, and Nani were all fit together for only about a dozen PL games, and in something like 8-9 of those games, Valencia didn't start.

The weeks I counted were only included if all 3 were at least subs or played in a league cup match mid-week.

Valencia is the fan favourite, and the FF favourite to boot, but the stats were phenomenally against him when you counted the weeks when all 3 were fit. He was very often relegated to bench or cup games against weaker teams.

And all this took his early injury into account. Like I said, I only counted weeks all 3 were fit.

Nani, valencia and young were all fit friom april and valencia started most then. Young is third choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nani, valencia and young were all fit friom april and valencia started most then. Young is third choice

It's a fluid situation based on form/fitness/rotation etc. It's hard to trust any of the three until one is out injured for a month or two.

If Kagawa can nail down a regular starting place in "the hole" then he will be good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

MU have fairly tough opening fixtures?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

kagawa is not a centre midfielder and will not be competeing with anderson, scholes and carrick but he will be playing off the front man so will be competeing with welbeck, harnadez and rooney. I still think he will be 1st choice with him playing off rooney! If he is 1st choice 8.0 will be a steal imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

while Anderson is just an awesome player.

You lost my interest about there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

swoody wrote: »
    if you did some research you know Valencia picked up an ankle injury on international duty with Ecuador at the Copa América during the summer of 2011. He missed United's entire pre-season tour of the United States because of the injury. He also missed the first month of the season because of a lack of match fitness. once fit he replaced smalling at right back and kept it for 3 matches untill he was moved into midfield he was pretty much nailed on from there. SAF will play 4-1-3-2 this season with Kagawa in the hole behind the striker freeing rooney of the role he was made do last season.
    rumour has it kagawa was offered the no7 shirt but declined it, so valencia will now wear the famous 7 jersey dispelling rumours that he was gunna be used as a right back/wing back this season imo. both are nailed on starters for me, its nani and young i wouldnt play......

I doubt United will play that formation leaves them too exposed . 4-2-3-1 Is more likely .

Carrick Scholes
    Valencia Kagawa Nani/Young
    Rooney .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Today's three Fantasy player values are Nikica Jelavic (EVE) £8.5m, Olivier Giroud (ARS) £9m & Carlos Tevez (MCI) £9m.

Tevez could be good value if he is not sold and actually starts games. I think Jelavic is a bit on the high side but should be evertons main man so could be worth it. Just have to see if they start the season well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

kennyb3 wrote: »
    You lost my interest about there

Agreed, I thought he was referring to Kagawa when I saw awesome player but Anderson:eek: If Kagawa is 8m he is no 1 bargain in the fpl so far. United have an excellent player their unfortunately:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I doubt United will play that formation leaves them too exposed . 4-2-3-1 Is more likely .

Carrick Scholes
    Valencia Kagawa Nani/Young
    Rooney .

No Welbeck?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Will be keeping an eye on pre-season friendlies to see how teams/players line up etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Nobody is certain about what formation SAF will play this season so you can't be certain Kagawa will start. If you go by his regular formation than there is no place for Kagawa in that team unless he plays an attacking CM role with 2 strikers in front of him. Therefore, if he does end up in centre mid, he's challenging Carrick/Scholes/Anderson. If he ends up up-front, he's challenging Welbeck/Hernandez. But if the formation of the team changes than, yeah, fair enough he will probably start..... but you can't bank on that. As for Anderson, people's opinions differ on him but I think he's fantastic. Himself and Rooney are very similar players (that's why Rooney played in his role when he was injured). Don't go off scoring/assisting abilities to define a player. He's the best man United have for holding up the ball and by far their strongest man on the ball (bar Rooney and Vidic maybe). Anyway, I would defend Anderson all day long but I won't bother because I won't be changing people's minds on him anytime soon. :pac:

As for the wingers situation, I barely mentioned Valencia and didn't want to start this debate over who starts again, so forget it! :cool:

The point is that we just don't know what's going to happen, especially with Kagawa joining. Saying one is third choice isn't fair, or based in reality.

Nani was injured or benched in about half the games from April until the end of the season (4 out of 8, I believe), so that goes against your suggestion that they were all fit and also that Young is 3rd choice.

Then Ferguson opted to drop Valencia against City, which hardly screams out in his favour.

Ferguson also played a different formation with only one of the 3 a few times, utilising either Welbeck or Rooney on the wing. Add Kagawa into that mix, and we really don't know who's going to be a "regular", if any.

But if we're going to put our favourites aside and just go based on stats, when all 3 were fit, Young was definitely not the most-dropped of the 3. Young was injured the most, so did indeed miss more games, but we're talking about when all 3 were fit here.

Personally, I'd play Valencia on the right every time. But my opinion really is worth shít when it comes to anticipating what Fergie is going to do...

Nobody is certain about what formation SAF will play this season so you can't be certain Kagawa will start. If you go by his regular formation than there is no place for Kagawa in that team unless he plays an attacking CM role with 2 strikers in front of him. Therefore, if he does end up in centre mid, he's challenging Carrick/Scholes/Anderson. If he ends up up-front, he's challenging Welbeck/Hernandez. But if the formation of the team changes than, yeah, fair enough he will probably start..... but you can't bank on that. As for Anderson, people's opinions differ on him but I think he's fantastic. Himself and Rooney are very similar players (that's why Rooney played in his role when he was injured). Don't go off scoring/assisting abilities to define a player. He's the best man United have for holding up the ball and by far their strongest man on the ball (bar Rooney and Vidic maybe). Anyway, I would defend Anderson all day long but I won't bother because I won't be changing people's minds on him anytime soon. :pac:

As for the wingers situation, I barely mentioned Valencia and didn't want to start this debate over who starts again, so forget it! :cool:

If you go by the regular formation Kagawa fits in where Rooney has been playing .
    Fergie won't drop Rooney so he'll just stick him up top on his like he did in 09/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Maxi has left Liverpool. Pity. Good player in reality and an excellent Fantasy player when he got the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

****. I liked maxi and thought he would fit in with rodgers style.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

manual_man wrote: »
    Will be keeping an eye on pre-season friendlies to see how teams/players line up etc. etc.

City are playing at 10:15 tonight on ESPN in Saudi Arabia

• Advertisement

RB100 wrote: »
    City are playing at 10:15 tonight on ESPN in Saudi Arabia

Not live it was on earlier on . I won't give you the score just incase .

Not live it was on earlier on . I won't give you the score just incase .

Oh right! thanks yea i will watch it now..city b*stards:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Formation wrote: »
    ****. I liked maxi and thought he would fit in with rodgers style.

So did Brendan Rodgers. He said he was a big fan and really wanted to keep him but Maxi chose to go back to Argentina for family reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Now now, I know its silly season, but lets not lose the run of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

First stab at a squad:

GK1 _ 4.5
    GK2 _ 4.0

DEF1 _ 7.5
    DEF2 _ 6.0
    DEF3 _ 5.5
    DEF4 _ 4.0
    DEF5 _ 4.0

Hazard _ 9.5
    Dempsey _ 9.5
    Sigurdsson _ 9.0
    Kagawa _ 8.5
    MID5 _ 4.5

Cisse _ 9.5
    Tevez _ 9.0
    Pogrebnyak _ 5.0

Will probably make some minor changes between now and GW1 deadline :pac:

Good midfield. I think Tevez is a rotation risk though

Newcastle are trying to get Carroll back on loan: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18850955

Not sure what this says about Cisse and Ba (especially Ba, with his contract stuff), because I would have imagined they certainly don't need Carroll back with those two in the team.

They need cover for the African cup of nations think it is on again after Christmas and they just sold Best and let Lovenkrands go on a free to Birmingham.

I'd understand them trying to get him in the Jan window for that reason, but now it just looks like he's going to warm the bench for a new team instead of going somewhere where he'll play regularly. Seems strange to me. It's not like Newcastle have a bigger wage budget than Liverpool.

I can only assume a bigger club is on the verge of getting Ba and Newcastle are trying to replace him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

carlcon wrote: »
    I can only assume a bigger club is on the verge of getting Ba and Newcastle are trying to replace him.

But Newcastle play a 4-3-3 and Ba plays on the left.

I have no idea why they would try and get Carroll back. They have changed their playing style drastically since he left and would have to change back if he was in the team as he does not suit their current style.

Advertisement