Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

jm08 wrote: »
    I'd say his ship has sailed with Munster (& probably Connacht). When Munster didn't put much/any effort into getting him back when they could have done with him, they are not going to do it now. Scannell & Rael (both u20s, look to be very good as well).

Personally, i don't see it in Varley or Sherry, Henry might be the answer, but I think Munster need a higher quality of hooker than Cronin. They haven't had that since Flannery imo, and it has cost them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So Leinster are a fair bit down the league right now, and this weekend (Friday night) we travel to Glasgow. A big game because there must be a certain point at which we start to worry about our league position.

With the players we're missing I think we could see a team of something like:

McGrath, Sexton, Hagan, Browne, Toner, Ruddock, Murphy, Auva'a;
    Boss, Madigan, Carr, Goodman, Macken, Conway, Kearney;

Tracy, McGrath, Moore, Roux, Marshall, Cooney, Reid, O'Malley/Coghlan-Murray

And again the big worry about that team is whether Madigan can play this sort of game. These games are absolutely invaluable for his development as a player. I think they'll target our scrum, so another big day from Hagan is needed. Could be a very tough game for us to win, at least they'll be missing a lot of players as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

So Leinster are a fair bit down the league right now, and this weekend (Friday night) we travel to Glasgow. A big game because there must be a certain point at which we start to worry about our league position.

And again the big worry about that team is whether Madigan can play this sort of game. These games are absolutely invaluable for his development as a player. I think they'll target our scrum, so another big day from Hagan is needed. Could be a very tough game for us to win, at least they'll be missing a lot of players as well.

Talk of SOB being available.

Huge game, something similar to the win in the lashing rain in Glasgow last year would be very welcome.

I have major concerns about Madigan's management of our field position after his starts this year, really hope we use Goodman more next weekend.

No way would I start Auva'a btw, he's done for me. Stick Ruddock/Jenno at 8.

Would you not start Jennings or Leo? Think we'll need both for this tbh.

My team would be:
    McGrath, Sexton, Hagan, Leo, Browne, Murphy, Ruddock, Jenno, Boss, Madigan, Isa, Goodman, Macken/Luke (that'd be a huge boost!), Conway, Baby Kearns,

Is this on T.V. btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I forgot Leo and Jennings actually!

Edit: Is Isa fit?

I know there's talk about SOB and Luke being back for this game but I don't want to get my hopes up until I see their names on the team sheet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Huge game, something similar to the win in the lashing rain in Glasgow last year would be very welcome.

I have major concerns about Madigan's management of our field position after his starts this year, really hope we use Goodman more next weekend.

No way would I start Auva'a btw, he's done for me. Stick Ruddock/Jenno at 8.

Would you not start Jennings or Leo? Think we'll need both for this tbh.

My team would be:
    McGrath, Sexton, Hagan, Leo, Browne, Murphy, Ruddock, Jenno, Boss, Madigan, Isa, Goodman, Macken/Luke (that'd be a huge boost!), Conway, Baby Kearns,

Is this on T.V. btw?

Rte advertised it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

it would be nice if ruddock/conway started showing some form some time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

conway and ruddock seem so rusty every tme they play. conway in particular just looks like a headless chicken so hopefully they can get a solid string of games together

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

I'd imagine Locky will be available for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Isa has a broken hand. Won't be back until Clermont (if we're lucky).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Isa has a broken hand. Won't be back until Clermont (if we're lucky).

Is that confirmed? There's been very little word in his injury at all. I seem to recall hearing it wasn't as bad as first feared and he'd be back mid-November...

This weekend is huge. Glasgow are on a decent run in the league and felt hard done by in this game last season with us eeking out 2 points. We may have EOM back too don't forget. They've been talking about his return for a few weeks now.Would love if we got Locky back. I'd have himself, Jenno and Ruddock in the back row.

As for Cronin, he may get a better opportunity over the next year to displace Strauss at Leinster. Up until now he was part of the Irish squad while Strauss wasn't meaning his gametime at Leinster was limited but Strauss didn't have to worry about that. We could see a reverse of that, to some extent at least, now which could benefit Cronin from a development point of view at least. That's not to say he will displace Strauss of course but he'll have a better shot at it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Never been to the RDS for a rugby match and was planning to go to the Connaught game on Dec 29th, but am genuinely shocked by the ticket prices.

Why are the tickets so expensive for this, or is this common practice? I got H Cup semi tickets in the Aviva for this price last season.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Is that confirmed? There's been very little word in his injury at all. I seem to recall hearing it wasn't as bad as first feared and he'd be back mid-November...

This weekend is huge. Glasgow are on a decent run in the league and felt hard done by in this game last season with us eeking out 2 points. We may have EOM back too don't forget. They've been talking about his return for a few weeks now.Would love if we got Locky back. I'd have himself, Jenno and Ruddock in the back row.

As for Cronin, he may get a better opportunity over the next year to displace Strauss at Leinster. Up until now he was part of the Irish squad while Strauss wasn't meaning his gametime at Leinster was limited but Strauss didn't have to worry about that. We could see a reverse of that, to some extent at least, now which could benefit Cronin from a development point of view at least. That's not to say he will displace Strauss of course but he'll have a better shot at it anyway.

Isa's prognosis was 4-5 weeks, and that was the Scarlets game.

I don't see why we wouldn't have Locky, wasn't he called up for the Ireland squad? I don't think he's carrying an injury and he should be released as I can't see him being involved in the argie match.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's two price bands for Leinster games in the RDS.

Band 1 would include the home HEC games and the interpros where the prices for the North and South Stand are 30e.

Band 2 is all the other games in the Rabo and are 20e for the North and South Stand.

There hasn't been any movement on these prices for quite a while now.

I don't know what price the tickets were for Ulsters SF in the HEC last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Never been to the RDS for a rugby match and was planning to go to the Connaught game on Dec 29th, but am genuinely shocked by the ticket prices.

Why are the tickets so expensive for this, or is this common practice? I got H Cup semi tickets in the Aviva for this price last season.

If you want value go to the clermont game if you can. Buckets of internationals on show at full pelt for a great price.

The conn game is likely to have a second string lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Leinster squad update.

Sean O'Brien and Eoin O'Malley may play against Glasgow, but it's too soon for Fitz and Dom Ryan.

Edit: Ruddock has been called up to the Ireland squad to replace Muldoon, who tore his medial knee ligament and will be out for 10-12 weeks.

ray jay wrote: »
    Leinster squad update.

Sean O'Brien and Eoin O'Malley may play against Glasgow, but it's too soon for Fitz and Dom Ryan.

Edit: Ruddock has been called up to the Ireland squad to replace Muldoon, who tore his medial knee ligament and will be out for 10-12 weeks.

There's such an air of 'tell them nothing' about a lot of these team updates.

Leinster have got very bad for it in recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Think that's a tad unfair. They have to err on the side of caution-especially with longer term injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

agreed, there have been zero mentions on the long term injuries to Dundon & Flanagan.

The Luke Fitzgerald updates over the last year or so have been a bit of a joke tbh. He was one week away for about two months.

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    Talk of SOB being available.

OMG!!!!

2607897-150x150.jpg

Good news on Isa too in that update. He probably won't be available this week but the Zebre game of the 01st looks like we might see the return of a few. We could possibly see:

Healy Strauss Ross
    Cullen Toner
    Locky Heaslip SOB
    Reddan Sexton
    Darce EOM
    McFadden Kearney Nacewa

That wouldn't be a bad side to take over to Clermont all things considered.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Think that's a tad unfair. They have to err on the side of caution-especially with longer term injuries.

By all means err on the side of caution, but that's not really what they have been donig with the likes of EOM and Fitz, who, as an above poster put it, seem to be 'in contention for a return' for ages now.

The said Quinn Roux was in line for a return before the Ospreys game iirc, and before the Munster game, and it seems he's not ready yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

durkadurka wrote: »
    The Luke Fitzgerald updates over the last year or so have been a bit of a joke tbh. He was one week away for about two months.

Well they targeted the Glasgow game about six weeks ago so not really

The said Quinn Roux was in line for a return before the Ospreys game iirc, and before the Munster game, and it seems he's not ready yet.

Yeh, this is becoming more and more Sykes like every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Ehh, not really. He got injured, it happens. Sykes just didn't settle and didn't want to be here.

Yeah the talk for the past 2 months on Fitz was end of November. EOM has been in line for a comeback for a few weeks all right.

That would really worry me. Sykes at least had a bit of game time at this stage of the season though. Roux has played all of 73 minutes so far this season in 2 games. Also, anyone know why there's still no picture of him up on the Leinster site? Denton arrived at the same time and his pic has been up for ages. He could just have been unlucky though so fingers crossed.

I'm talking about last January February time for Luke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Aaron Dundon took part in training so he may well be available.

EDIT: Also worth noting that Adam Byrne who impressed people with his cameo off the bench in the inter-provincial 'A' game was involved in training. I think he's a name that can be safely added to the list of incomers to the Leinster Academy.

danthefan wrote: »
    Ehh, not really. He got injured, it happens. Sykes just didn't settle and didn't want to be here.

Yeah which also coincided with an injury that put him out of contention for a while.

• Advertisement

durkadurka wrote: »

I'm talking about last January February time for Luke.

Wasn't he only out for 6-8 weeks then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement