Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

durkadurka wrote: »
    The Luke Fitzgerald updates over the last year or so have been a bit of a joke tbh. He was one week away for about two months.

We're used to it down here with POC. Annoying alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think there must be uncertainty in the Leinster head offices over the status of players. Leinster may need to look at the channels of communication between the coaches and whoevers doing the updates, because it looks bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

On my phone, will post a link later but the Irish times is reporting mclaughlin trained with Leinster yesterday and the Backrow will be made from 3 of McLoughlin, Jennings, Jordi Murphy, SOB.

Strong back row. Our front row is a worry though they report but just missing the 4 props and 2 hookers on international duty as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Fireball07 wrote: »

Like I said, he'd really have to sort his darts. I'm not sure there's much between him and Sherry atm. But, for his own career, if he came to Munster and managed to become first-choice, I think that would improve his Ireland chances.

The darts thing really p1sses me off about Cronin. It's 100% a practice thing. It's a skill that you can choose to spend hours perfecting (a la Flannery) or not (a la Jackson).

I have trouble respecting an otherwise excellent player with international ambitions who chooses to allow this weakness in his game to persist.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kinger83

danthefan wrote: »
    Ehh, not really. He got injured, it happens. Sykes just didn't settle and didn't want to be here.

Roux was at the A game last Thursday, sitting in the stand with some other players. I think he's settled in a bit better than Sykes.. though people are probably a bit paranoid after the Sykes saga..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

padser wrote: »
    The darts thing really p1sses me off about Cronin. It's 100% a practice thing. It's a skill that you can choose to spend hours perfecting (a la Flannery) or not (a la Jackson).

I have trouble respecting an otherwise excellent player with international ambitions who chooses to allow this weakness in his game to persist.

Yeah I'd agree there alright, I remember reading Jackman's book and he said himself that he didn't practise nearly enough to become as good as Flannery at throwing, yet still complained about not getting enough gametime iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Jackman also whinged about being barely able to walk and then wonders why he isn't picked. 'twas a bizarre book.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

On my phone, will post a link later but the Irish times is reporting mclaughlin trained with Leinster yesterday and the Backrow will be made from 3 of McLoughlin, Jennings, Jordi Murphy, SOB.

Strong back row. Our front row is a worry though they report but just missing the 4 props and 2 hookers on international duty as expected.

6. Locky
    7. Jennings
    8. SOB

That could work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

durkadurka wrote: »
    Jackman also whinged about being barely able to walk and then wonders why he isn't picked. 'twas a bizarre book.

Two pages on the Heineken Cup final, seven chapters on his falling out with Cheika. Not the worst rugby book ever but just needed a decent ghost writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Two pages on the Heineken Cup final, seven chapters on his falling out with Cheika. Not the worst rugby book ever but just needed a decent ghost writer.

and more bizarrly another few pages towards the end wondering if Cheika might have a coaching role for him at Stade..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He was already apologising for it at his book launch.

A team mate of his told me that the whole book should be disregarded.

Thanks to phog for this. Pity it doesn't show Adam Byrne in it though, one player I would've liked to have seen. Reid looked good while he was on the pitch.
    phog wrote: »
    Highlights from the Munster A game v Leinster in Donnybrook.

Afaik, there was some highlights on Against The Head last night, not sure if they're the same footage, should be availbale on RTE Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It was only A level but Reid was up against a 9-10-12 axis of Stringer-Hanrahan-Dineen, which is pretty experienced/talented, so it's good to see he played so well. Maybe he can make it after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Has Kidney promoted Ruddock over McLaughlin then?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I've no idea whats going on with McLaughlin to be honest. Hes completely disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Has Kidney promoted Ruddock over McLaughlin then?

Kidney never had any intention of playing McLaughlin, nor did he ever intend having Ruddock do anything other than hold tackle bags. So I suppose they're level in Kidney's disdain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

.ak wrote: »
    Thanks to phog for this. Pity it doesn't show Adam Byrne in it though, one player I would've liked to have seen. Reid looked good while he was on the pitch.

Doesn't show any of Archer's scrummaging masterclass either. Would be interested to see if McGrath was that good, or Archer was that bad. Or both.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

tolosenc wrote: »
    Doesn't show any of Archer's scrummaging masterclass either. Would be interested to see if McGrath was that good, or Archer was that bad. Or both.

Archer was that bad.

McGrath was that good (as he also killed the other tighthead)

I was at the game and was genuinely shocked how poor Archer was though.

Higher wrote: »
    I've no idea whats going on with McLaughlin to be honest. Hes completely disappeared.

How do you mean? He's been carrying a knock for the best part of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Higher wrote: »
    Archer was that bad.

McGrath was that good (as he also killed the other tighthead)

I was at the game and was genuinely shocked how poor Archer was though.

Have you been sailing solo around the world for 4 years? :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

.ak wrote: »
    How do you mean? He's been carrying a knock for the best part of the season.

Im not sure why he was brought into the Irish squad in the first place if his knock meant he couldnt play. I hope it is a knock as he outshone POM down in NZ and deserved another shot in the AI's.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Im not sure why he was brought into the Irish squad in the first place if his knock meant he couldnt play. I hope it is a knock as he outshone POM down in NZ and deserved another shot in the AI's.

Well he played for Leinster before the AIs (after he came back from injury) but didn't look 100% to me. I reckon they'd pick someone that was 100% over someone carrying a niggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Yeah I don't think McLaughlin has played particularly well so far this season.

Yeh, but I'd put that down to injury. That's what I'm getting at. I wouldn't worry about him... He always turns up for the big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

True, and I'm confident enough about his future performances for Leinster. Despite that, I'd imagine that come the 6 Nations he may well be rated below Henderson, who will in turn probably be below POM and Ferris (and probably SOB) for the 6 jersey, so there's not much hope for McLaughlin to pick up another cap bar another pile of injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

ray jay wrote: »
    True, and I'm confident enough about his future performances for Leinster. Despite that, I'd imagine that come the 6 Nations he may well be rated below Henderson, who will in turn probably be below POM and Ferris (and probably SOB) for the 6 jersey, so there's not much hope for McLaughlin to pick up another cap bar another pile of injuries.
    Soon he'l struggle to even make the Leinster team.I can see O'Brien at 6 and Ryan at 7 when both are fully fit and Ruddock and Murphy are not that far away either

funtime93 wrote: »
    Soon he'l struggle to even make the Leinster team.I can see O'Brien at 6 and Ryan at 7 when both are fully fit and Ruddock and Murphy are not that far away either

Locky is streets ahead of Ruddock at the moment, even when injured. Ryan or Murphy are no where near usurping SOB at 7. SOB's grown into the openside role and even coming back from a serious rehab will have no problem getting into the starting lineup. Ryan hasn't shown anything this season, prior to his injury. Murphy on the other hand has plenty of potential and will probably fill Jennings boots as a niggily enforcer once Shane retires.

I wouldn't worry about Locky not getting selected for Ireland. He doesn't fit the mold. The Irish setup always like their pacey blindsides, target running and heavy hitters ala Fez and now Henderson. Locky is a get-under-your-skin 5.5 kinda player that suits Leinster perfectly. He's as hard as nails also and never gets riled up. The YC he picked up in H-cup this year was his first for Leinster IIRC and that's an impressive stat for a flanker who's virtually involved in every ruck in a game he plays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Locky, when fully fit, which he hasn't been this year, is vital to Leinster.
    Makes a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

whats the story with quinn roux is he still injured???seems either unlucky with injuries or injury prone???

• Advertisement

whats the story with quinn roux is he still injured???seems either unlucky with injuries or injury prone???

He picked up the one injury early in the season and has been rehabing ever since. He's hopeful to be in contention in early december (zebre) iirc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement