Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Killser

Whatever way he goes, the thought of Joe taking the top job and getting a chance to work with the talent that's emerging from all 4 provinces gets me all sorts of fired up!
    And, one of his first matches against a major international team, the BNZs ! (No offence to Samoa, who will give us a hell of a game by-the-by). :eek:

My vote goes for Jono for Leinster coach - any chance of a poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Killser wrote: »
    Whatever way he goes, the thought of Joe taking the top job and getting a chance to work with the talent that's emerging from all 4 provinces gets me all sorts of fired up!
    And, one of his first matches against a major international team, the BNZs ! (No offence to Samoa, who will give us a hell of a game by-the-by). :eek:

My vote goes for Jono for Leinster coach - any chance of a poll?

I'll start a new thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Quint2010 wrote: »
    No way Kiss will get the job. He been around Kidney far too long. Expect another Schmidt style appointment. Is Wayne Smith available?

Sick parents won't leave NZ

.ak wrote: »
    I'll start a new thread.

Poll/thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

"Munster have already succeeded in enticing Felix Jones and Andrew Conway (soon to arrive) south, but were they to enlist Kearney they would have the most complete of three full-backs struggling to get opportunities in their preferred position with their home province" Tony Ward, yesterday

So are Munster after DK

The plot thickens...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Maybe DK said no to them and so on Saturday they decided to send him a subtle message that this was not the correct answer?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ah ffs, can we stop taking Leinster castoffs and develop our own homegrown backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

I don't think that Ward is implying Munster are interested in DK, rather he is making the point, in an unusual manner, that DK is better than the other Leinstermen (Jones, Conway) that they have signed to play the full back role. At least I hope not.

Would there be even space for him down there, it's very crowded in the back 3... Or maybe after the Fitzy deal fell through they decided to go for his backup? :P

Hype710 wrote: »
    I don't think that Ward is implying Munster are interested in DK, rather he is making the point, in an unusual manner, that DK is better than the other Leinstermen (Jones, Conway) that they have signed to play the full back role. At least I hope not.

"Kearney the younger is a hugely under-rated talent and one stifled in his development through lack of regular game-time for his province."

Sounds to me he thinks he should be somewhere else to get more game time.

Yet he has played loads this season already and with Carr/Conway/Isa gone will play more as he is versatile

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/results/squad_leinster_first_team.php?player=72808&includeref=dynamic#.UW6FVEpvCFg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

ssaye wrote: »
    "Munster have already succeeded in enticing Felix Jones and Andrew Conway (soon to arrive) south, but were they to enlist Kearney they would have the most complete of three full-backs struggling to get opportunities in their preferred position with their home province" Tony Ward, yesterday

So are Munster after DK

The plot thickens...

No, they're not. That is utter nonsense from Ward, a half-hearted attempt to show that he's concerned not just with POC getting off but also for poor Dave, sure isn't he a great lad all the same.

It's like saying if Connacht were to enlist Dan Carter, they'd have a decent out-half. There's about the same amount of substance in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Quint2010 wrote: »
    No way Kiss will get the job. He been around Kidney far too long. Expect another Schmidt style appointment. Is Wayne Smith available?

Perhaps Kiss was holding back the flood of Kidneymerde.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

John Plumtree is out of contract with the Sharks at the end of the season I think.

55 seconds

- Does he know something - haha

HSBC Ambassador a good while but still, He is going to the Lions I am sure of it.

" Uploaded on Apr 16, 2013

Can HSBC Ambassador Brian O'Driscoll take the heat in the kitchen? Ahead of The British & Irish Lions playing a historic match in Hong Kong, find out how the Lions legend got on when he swapped rucks for woks to prepare his very own spring roll dish.
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

"Kearney the younger is a hugely under-rated talent and one stifled in his development through lack of regular game-time for his province."

Sounds to me he thinks he should be somewhere else to get more game time.

Yet he has played loads this season already and with Carr/Conway/Isa gone will play more as he is versatile

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/results/squad_leinster_first_team.php?player=72808&includeref=dynamic#.UW6FVEpvCFg

I remember being impressed by Kearney before Zebo and Gilroy shot to fame, he was by far the most rounded young back out of all the contenders at that time. Then he took a back seat while the other two started getting lots of game time. Not sure if injury forced him out or selection or maybe a combination but he definitely missed out on a lot of game time compared to other young Irish backs.

Nice little insight into pro eating habits before a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

he doesn't have zebo's speed nor Gilroy's feet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I remember being impressed by Kearney before Zebo and Gilroy shot to fame, he was by far the most rounded young back out of all the contenders at that time. Then he took a back seat while the other two started getting lots of game time. Not sure if injury forced him out or selection or maybe a combination but he definitely missed out on a lot of game time compared to other young Irish backs.

It's interesting/annoying. Conway was in U20 teams with Zebo and Gilroy and looked the best of them at the time. Again D Kearney was in the Wolfhounds with both and looked a class above everyone, yet while the careers of Zebo/Gilroy have exploded since, Conway/Kearney haven't really gone anywhere. Are Leinster doing something wrong, is there too much competition or were they just unlucky?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

unlucky in my book.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Luck to a certain degree possibly.

D Kearney and Conway too have had more injuries than Gilroy or Zebo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

I think one thing to keep in mind aswell is that Leinster do tend to use wingers quite differently to most other teams.

Zebo and Gilroy would both be used in a different manner than they currently are if they were Leinster players I'd wager.

Part of the reason too why Carr didn't fit the puzzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah ffs, can we stop taking Leinster castoffs and develop our own homegrown backs.

Reminds me of what the English sing to the Welsh; You're only a principality.

You're only a Leinster A side... :D
    RuggieBear wrote: »
    he doesn't have zebo's speed nor Gilroy's feet

He is very strong in the contact though. He's been cursed with injury this season. We'd have seen a lot more of him if not for that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

BRIAN COOKING VIDEO

55 seconds

- Does he know something - haha

HSBC Ambassador a good while but still, He is going to the Lions I am sure of it.

" Uploaded on Apr 16, 2013

Can HSBC Ambassador Brian O'Driscoll take the heat in the kitchen? Ahead of The British & Irish Lions playing a historic match in Hong Kong, find out how the Lions legend got on when he swapped rucks for woks to prepare his very own spring roll dish.
    "

haha, the big dirty smile on him when he says it! Yeah he's going!

Before the 2012 6N he was being heralded for game time. I think this season has skewed our vision of him, but last season he was seriously impressive, superb under high ball, was immense in breaking tackles and was safe as bricks. He has defo regressed a bit, but I wouldn't put it past him if he get an injury free run he'll have a massive season ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I think one thing to keep in mind aswell is that Leinster do tend to use wingers quite differently to most other teams.

Zebo and Gilroy would both be used in a different manner than they currently are if they were Leinster players I'd wager.

Part of the reason too why Carr didn't fit the puzzle.

Would that be down to the freedom they have to play their own game ? Carr at Connacht was kinda of the go to guy, they fed him ball and let him do his thing and he was outstanding for them. At Leinster he struggled big time to fit into what the team was doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

I think he is a far better Fullback than winger.

I think he is a far better Fullback than winger.

That's our issue at the moment though. 3 FBs in the back 3. We need wingers. All the more reason ZK is a bad buy (assuming it's true).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Tox56 wrote: »
    It's interesting/annoying. Conway was in U20 teams with Zebo and Gilroy and looked the best of them at the time. Again D Kearney was in the Wolfhounds with both and looked a class above everyone, yet while the careers of Zebo/Gilroy have exploded since, Conway/Kearney haven't really gone anywhere. Are Leinster doing something wrong, is there too much competition or were they just unlucky?

No, Leinster are doing too many things right.

Gilroy got his break at Ulster primarily because he and Trimble were the only wingers of any standard that Ulster had. Let's not forget that since Bowe arrived and all three have been fit, Gilroy has been the one losing out. He is not a first-choice player at Ulster.

Zebo only got his break due to a season-ending injury to Howlett in 2011. Fair play to him, he grabbed his opportunity with both hands, but while Howlett was out his competition for the jersey was Denis Hurley and Johne Murphy, i.e. not much competition at all, so he got a prolonged run of action.

Then there's Dave Kearney; fighting with Isa Nacewa, Luke Fitzgerald and Fergus McFadden for the wing jerseys. When Luke got injured ahead of the 2012 HC final, Leinster had an international winger raring to go in the shape of McFadden, while Isa has been undroppable for four years.

The guys ahead of him in the queue are too good, that's Dave Kearney's problem.

No, Leinster are doing too many things right.

Gilroy got his break at Ulster primarily because he and Trimble were the only wingers of any standard that Ulster had. Let's not forget that since Bowe arrived and all three have been fit, Gilroy has been the one losing out. He is not a first-choice player at Ulster.

Zebo only got his break due to a season-ending injury to Howlett in 2011. Fair play to him, he grabbed his opportunity with both hands, but while Howlett was out his competition for the jersey was Denis Hurley and Johne Murphy, i.e. not much competition at all, so he got a prolonged run of action.

Then there's Dave Kearney; fighting with Isa Nacewa, Luke Fitzgerald and Fergus McFadden for the wing jerseys. When Luke got injured ahead of the 2012 HC final, Leinster had an international winger raring to go in the shape of McFadden, while Isa has been undroppable for four years.

The guys ahead of him in the queue are too good, that's Dave Kearney's problem.

That and the injuries this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ulster will not have Ravenhill ready in time to host Pro12 final, and as such, have nominated the RDS as their "home" venue if they make it, meaning that 1st place is irrelivant for Leinster now, as long as Ulster get it, we just need to finish second and we will be in line for two home finals in the RDS this season as long as we can hold on to 2nd in league and win our two home semi finals in RDS. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22180778

It's all falling into place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement