Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He's gotten alot of Leinster A and B&I games so he must have something going on for him.

In relation to the Senior team though he's got Strauss and Cronin ahead of him so leaving to Oz could be a good career move for him I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Anyone got any info on the players from this age group? They look like a skilful group of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Hagz wrote: »

Anyone got any info on the players from this age group? They look like a skilful group of lads.

Good players in the U18s this year, the schools team were very impressive too by all accounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

the centres moran and nolan are very good with the hooker mckenna and the 2nd row joyce ahearne the other stand out players from what ive heard.
    all 4 named are in irish squad
    thats a 2nd youths interpro title in a row for leinster

I'm starting to get more and more interested in Youths rugby when you see some of the quality it produces. Do the Leinster schools play the clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtujDo54Y0E

not sure if this has been posted previously, great 30 min documentary made by some dcu students on the belvedere SCT run in 2008, they'd a quality team with Michael Keating, Collie O'Shea,Tom Sexton and also the likes of Peter Synott (now with Esher) and others currently playing AIL like Ben Woods, Hugo Nolan,Niall Myron...they came up against Marys in the final who had Jack McGrath & Hudson in their team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

I'm starting to get more and more interested in Youths rugby when you see some of the quality it produces. Do the Leinster schools play the clubs?
    dont know but assume they do. In Munster the youths and schools play each other at least 2/3 times every summer in prep for the september interpros
    bamboozle wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtujDo54Y0E

not sure if this has been posted previously, great 30 min documentary made by some dcu students on the belvedere SCT run in 2008, they'd a quality team with Michael Keating, Collie O'Shea,Tom Sexton and also the likes of Peter Synott (now with Esher) and others currently playing AIL like Ben Woods, Hugo Nolan,Niall Myron...they came up against Marys in the final who had Jack McGrath & Hudson in their team.
    think that was posted in the schools thread a few weeks back. is very good doc espec for somebody who never went to a rugby school and got to see some more behind everything in the schools rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Swiwi wrote: »
    Well, I will keep a wee eye on the Rebels, so. There should be a bit of Irish interest - the Aussie franchises given the upcoming Lions series, Gareth Anscombe playing for the Chiefs etc. There are also a few players who might take up overseas options if they can't crack the ABs this year - Andy Ellis at halfback, Robbie Freuan in the midfield, Rene Ranger on the wing for example. Looking quite forward to it actually.

Oh, and Brad Thorn for the Highlanders. D'oh how did I forget Brad on a Leinster thread?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Swiwi wrote: »
    Well, I will keep a wee eye on the Rebels, so. There should be a bit of Irish interest - the Aussie franchises given the upcoming Lions series, Gareth Anscombe playing for the Chiefs etc. There are also a few players who might take up overseas options if they can't crack the ABs this year - Andy Ellis at halfback, Robbie Freuan in the midfield, Rene Ranger on the wing for example. Looking quite forward to it actually.

Rene Ranger looked very average in the NPC whether he was injured or just not bothered. Played mostly at 13 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Morf wrote: »
    Rene Ranger looked very average in the NPC whether he was injured or just not bothered. Played mostly at 13 though.

Didn't see much NPC this year, so that's interesting. Seems best suited to wing. He can be dazzling one moment, and dreadful the next, so he will need a very consistent run of form to have any chance of getting back into the ABs. Can definitely create a try out of nothing, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

As far as I'm aware the plan is to play Ranger at 13 this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ranger is apparently going to Montpellier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Quinn Roux apparently off to France (was only here 1 year in anyway prob no renewal) with Heinke not sure which team so another Lock required

McCarthy
    Toner
    Denton - Poor imo
    Cullen - some games help with experience
    Browne - Prob going west
    Promote Flanagan or another

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Need a lock ASAP then. Pity about Quinn Roux as he looks like he has plenty of talent and has a long career ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

We need Bekker. Break open the piggy bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If we have McCarthy, Toner, Denton and Browne I'd be somewhat happy. Add Marshall and Flanagan to that group with Cullen possibly still around and it would be an improvement on what we've had this season. If Browne can't stay healthy then we need an addition to that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Can't see Browne staying fit tbh. How many times have we seen him this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

ongarite wrote: »
    Need a lock ASAP then. Pity about Quinn Roux as he looks like he has plenty of talent and has a long career ahead of him.

Highly rated, very unfortunate with injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ssaye wrote: »
    Quinn Roux apparently off to France (was only here 1 year in anyway prob no renewal) with Heinke not sure which team so another Lock required

McCarthy
    Toner
    Denton - Poor imo
    Cullen - some games help with experience
    Browne - Prob going west
    Promote Flanagan or another

Really? Where'd you hear that? I'd heard a rumour that he'd signed a new 1 year deal with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Who's the 7?

• Advertisement

Who's the 7?

Conor Oliver of Skerries, looked him up after watching the vid. Looks like he's got some skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Walthari

Any of them play in the SCT?

Walthari wrote: »
    Any of them play in the SCT?

No. Otherwise they'd be playing for the schools team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What way does it work at the youth level at Leinster. The conversation here leads me to believe there's a separate team for club players and for school players, would this be right? Would club and school players ever play together at this level? Which team tends to be of the higher standard?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    What way does it work at the youth level at Leinster. The conversation here leads me to believe there's a separate team for club players and for school players, would this be right? Would club and school players ever play together at this level? Which team tends to be of the higher standard?

There's a school side and a youths side. They come together at u19 level ASFAIA. The Schools team is of a higher standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Out half with the Yellow boots in Donnybrook looks a tidy player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

The youths team played against the schools team a few weeks back. Saw highlights somewhere can't find them. Two skerries lads in opposition O'Connor of Blackrock against Oliver on youths. The schools team won well in the end.
    Vid added was Irish schools vs Irish Youths http://www.irishrugby.ie/matchdaytv?play=media&id=13908

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

A number of lovely breaks from the 10 in that Leinster video... Probably why Sexton left. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Anyone heard this Fitzgerald to Munster rumour?

I'm 99% sure its rubbish but ever since the Sexton and Conway transfers I've began to be a bit more mindful of these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »
    Anyone heard this Fitzgerald to Munster rumour?

I'm 99% sure its rubbish but ever since the Sexton and Conway transfers I've began to be a bit more mindful of these things.

I'd be stunned to see that happen. The Conway move at least makes some sense, he's going to get gametime.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement