Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

When does BOD's current deal run till?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

shuffol wrote: »
    When does BOD's current deal run till?

Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Could we add Collie O'Shea to the 'ready for Pro12' list?

he had an op back in oct, not due back till march. Good dependable ball playing 12, not the biggest though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

GerM wrote: »
    EOM needs a full season of uninterrupted rugby before Leinster can count on him. He has one of the worst injury records of a professional player in Ireland. Macken has steadily improved this season and is still 21. If Macken grabs his opportunity during the 6N, EOM could find himself level pegging and fighting it out to get the 13 jersey next season.

I think Macken is ready to be used as HEC back up next season. He has shown an aptitude for learning and developing as a player. His defence is improving and hopefully it will be better again next season. Interesting times ahead given BOD will either retire this summer or probably phased out over the next season.
    I've heard of Macken being spectacular at A level. At Rabo level I've seen a mixed bag. If he is at 13 outside of Darcy BOD or McFadden he has done well. If he is outside someone else he disappoints.

My judgement is that he is an inexperienced young player that needs an experienced hand inside him to offer advice and almost talk him through the game. I hope that he gets over it in the next year because with Darcy and BOD coming to the end of their careers Macken (if he gets ahead of EOM) will have to be a leader in the backline at 13 when the internationals are away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd like to see combinations of McFadden, O'Malley and Macken been given a lot more game time in the P12, simply as a bedding in process. Between those 3, they are the current future in centre. Some other decent options coming through too, like O'Shea, possibly Reid, but it would be nice to look at new combinations over the remainder of the season.

Options such as Fitz, I think he's good in the centre, but doesn't have the passing ability imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭eire4

GerM wrote: »
    Currently, Leinster have 4 NIQ players on their books. This is going to go down to 3 with the departure of VDM and possibly 1 if Roux and Goodman hit the road. Those vacant spots need to be filled by a couple of genuinely top class players if Leinster want to be back in contention. Nacewa is currently the only NIQ player who makes the starting side.

Compare that with Ulster who are performing to a high level this season. They've recruited wonderfully and these guys have formed the core of their side. Afoa, Williams, Pienaar, Payne and Muller are all massive players for them. Take them out and they're half the side. Leinster will now need to take a leaf out of their book and identify a top class lock, a top class centre and possibly a top class scrum half to fit into the side. If we had a pack of Healy, Strauss, Ross, McCarthy, Bekker, McLaughlin, SOB and Heaslip we could be contenders again.

We need to lock down Healy and Kearney though. Healy's contract is up this summer. At only 25, I think he might hold fire on moving yet if he ever is going to. I'd be more worried about Kearney whose contract is also expiring. He turns 27 shortly and is in a very, very similar position to Sexton. If he wants that big contract abroad, now is the time. He'll want to make his money and get a strong contract in Ireland again to bring him through to his later years.

I would agree with that. It is vital we keep Healy and Kearney for starters. But with Sexton gone now if we want to be contenders next season we need to bring in a couple of big international signings. Roux and Goodman leaving would open up 3 spots but if we had at least 2 spots open that might be enough with the right signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

If possible I think Roux should be kept on, potentially just the type of player we need.

No idea what the whole contract situation is though, or if he even wants to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Options such as Fitz, I think he's good in the centre, but doesn't have the passing ability imo.
    +1

Another thing about Fitz is he is briliant at stopping his stride and than taking massive step all in a split second. This works really well on the wing where someone is drifting over to cover the winger and the winger cuts back in.

However, I don't think it works as well in the center as the center's should never stop the stride but more sort of swerve without ever losing forward pace.

Fitz is no more a center than Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah dunno about that, look at Darcy, especially in the 08/09 season. He does exactly what you described and used it to devastating effect - for me the inside centre should have nothing to do with pace. It's all about getting over that gain line, either by bashing through it or stepping around it. The key is to get the defensive line turning, and link up with the outside channel. That's why a 13 needs pace, or rather acceleration. Fitz makes a fine 12 IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It's not something often commented on, but D'Arcys distribution from 12 is superb. I don't think Fitz has those skills for midfield.

I think it's similar in Earls' game too, great runner but can't pass (and doesn't seem to even try any more). I'm not talking about offloading btw, I'm talking about spraying the ball around in the back line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I think it's similar in Earls' game too, great runner but can't pass (and doesn't seem to even try any more). I'm not talking about offloading btw, I'm talking about spraying the ball around in the back line.

He does. They wind up in touch a few times a game, but he does pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

It's not something often commented on, but D'Arcys distribution from 12 is superb. I don't think Fitz has those skills for midfield.

Absolutely. He has a brilliant Rugby brain and understands the tiny space there is in that 12 channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

So has leinstergeddon stopped yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

So the next 5 Leinsters games we should get to see a load of Madigan at 10 during 6N and all those games are pretty winnable even with missing the Internationals so I am hoping for a big push to hopefully get a home semi in the playoffs.

Blues Away
    Treviso Home
    Scarlets Home
    Dragons Away
    Glasgow Home

A big 8 pointer is Ulster the following week and the full team will probably play this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

All seems quiet, but I'm still anxious about Healy, Kearney and Fitz...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

"The exodus will get under way now, however. From front of house we have Sexton leaving, followed, you'd suspect, at the end of the season by Isa Nacewa and Heinke van der Merwe."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/deal-is-a-double-edged-sword-for-club-and-country-3367848.html

Isn't Nacewa signed on until the end of next season?

"Isa Nacewa is renewing his contract to extend his stay with the province by a further year until the end of the 2013-14 season."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0426/1224315192700.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Nope Isa's contract is up this season AFAIK

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hagz wrote: »
    Nope Isa's contract is up this season AFAIK

end of 13/14
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0426/1224315192700.html

Ah right you are. I have him down as 2013 in my contract list for some reason. Fanning must have been using my list as a reference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

CatFromHue wrote: »
    "The exodus will get under way now, however. From front of house we have Sexton leaving, followed, you'd suspect, at the end of the season by Isa Nacewa and Heinke van der Merwe."

VDM is hardly part of an exodus. He was almost certainly always going to be leaving regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

I have to say the breaking bad reference in that article is really bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Podge_irl wrote: »
    VDM is hardly part of an exodus. He was almost certainly always going to be leaving regardless.

He was probably going to go, and then with it looking like he may be back in the Springbok fold, it was a certainty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

I see a Tom Sexton has decided to return home to play for the Melbourne Rebels - this fact, and that I don't recognise his name makes me think he isn't up to much. Any comment Leinster fans?

edit: here's the link

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/rebels/irishman-inks-super-rugby-deal-with-rebels-20130123-2d7c9.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Swiwi wrote: »
    I see a Tom Sexton has decided to return home to play for the Melbourne Rebels - this fact, and that I don't recognise his name makes me think he isn't up to much. Any comment Leinster fans?

4th choice hooker, senior cup winning captain while in school but that's pretty much all I know about him, hasn't got much of a look in with the senior team

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He's played for Leinster a few times. I'd put him down as a Rabo player but you never know I suppose.

Good luck to him in Oz.

Although he's been In Ireland since he was four, I wouldn't really call it a home coming. But fair play to him I presume he'll have no difficulty with visas and the like.

He's looked good this season. It was always difficult for him when Leinster had not only two of the best hookers in the country, but an experienced and reliable back up in Aaron Dundon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Has played well any times I've seen him for Senior or As. Great thrower. Little bit light, but shouldn't make a huge difference.

Has played well any times I've seen him for Senior or As. Great thrower. Little bit light, but shouldn't make a huge difference.

Well, I will keep a wee eye on the Rebels, so. There should be a bit of Irish interest - the Aussie franchises given the upcoming Lions series, Gareth Anscombe playing for the Chiefs etc. There are also a few players who might take up overseas options if they can't crack the ABs this year - Andy Ellis at halfback, Robbie Freuan in the midfield, Rene Ranger on the wing for example. Looking quite forward to it actually.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

His underage record is unbeatable anyway!

Leinster 'A' Caps: 7 (v Munster x3, Connacht x3, Ulster)
    British & Irish Cup Caps: 17 (v Gael Force, Newport, Cornish Pirates, Worcester Warriors, Currie, Bedford Blues, Esher, Llanelli, London Welsh, Pontypridd x3, Munster, Leeds Carnegie x2, Jersey x2)

Ireland Under-20 Caps: 9 (v Wales x2, France, Italy, England, Scotland, Argentina, New Zealand, Samoa)
    Leinster Under-20 Caps: 4 (v Ulster, Munster, Connacht, English Counties)
    Ireland Under-19 Caps: 2 (v Italy, France)
    Ireland Schools Caps: 3 (v Japan, Italy, England)
    Leinster Schools (Under-19) Caps: 3 (v Munster, Connacht, Ulster)
    Leinster Schools (Under-18) Caps: 9 (v RFU Academy, Connacht, Ulster, Munster, all 5 appearances on 2006/07 South African tour)

*Leinster Schools Junior Cup winner (2005) and Senior Cup winning captain (2008)

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    His underage record is unbeatable anyway!

Leinster 'A' Caps: 7 (v Munster x3, Connacht x3, Ulster)
    British & Irish Cup Caps: 17 (v Gael Force, Newport, Cornish Pirates, Worcester Warriors, Currie, Bedford Blues, Esher, Llanelli, London Welsh, Pontypridd x3, Munster, Leeds Carnegie x2, Jersey x2)

Ireland Under-20 Caps: 9 (v Wales x2, France, Italy, England, Scotland, Argentina, New Zealand, Samoa)
    Leinster Under-20 Caps: 4 (v Ulster, Munster, Connacht, English Counties)
    Ireland Under-19 Caps: 2 (v Italy, France)
    Ireland Schools Caps: 3 (v Japan, Italy, England)
    Leinster Schools (Under-19) Caps: 3 (v Munster, Connacht, Ulster)
    Leinster Schools (Under-18) Caps: 9 (v RFU Academy, Connacht, Ulster, Munster, all 5 appearances on 2006/07 South African tour)

*Leinster Schools Junior Cup winner (2005) and Senior Cup winning captain (2008)

So was mine when I was a wee lad...sadly it never came to much...I just stayed a skinny white fulla.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement