Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Clermont played Toulouse the week before they played Leinster And both teams had the reserves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Once all the facts and rumors of leaving senior players are settled, do we have academy lads that are ready? If so who and what position?

I'm a newby follower really and therefore dont know the slightest thing about the academy guys but have heard that its working well.

Seems the proof of that is about to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Mech1 wrote: »
    Once all the facts and rumors of leaving senior players are settled, do we have academy lads that are ready? If so who and what position?

I'm a newby follower really and therefore dont know the slightest thing about the academy guys but have heard that its working well.

Have a look here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Merging Mech1's thread with the the overall Leinster thread

Mech1 wrote: »

rrpc wrote: »

IMO - From the names that others might not be overly very familiar with.

These might be the players that get gametime in the 13/14 season

Ready to be a solid HEC Option
    David Kearney (back 3 player)
    Eoin O'Malley (Second centre - returning from injury, this based on pre-injury form regained)
    Dominic Ryan (6/7 - again, dependent on his return from injury not knocking him off development course)

Ready for HEC Exposure

Aaron Dundon (hooker) {note: not a long term option}
    Jack McGrath (prop - LH that has played TH before)

Ready to be a solid Pro12 option

Jordi Murphy (back row)
    Ben Marshall (2nd / Back Row)
    Darren Hudson (Back 3 player)
    John Cooney (Scrum Half)
    Mark Flanagan (2nd Row)

Ready for Pro12 exposure
    Noel Reid (10/12)
    Martin Moore (TightHead)
    Sam Coghlan-Murray ( Back 3 player)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think you could add Macken to the solid Pro12 list and Ruddock to solid HEC list.

We only have 4 back three options in the squad that will be there next season (not including McFadden, as hopeful he'll be a 12) and 3 the season after that, so expecting to bring at least 2 players through next season and a big signing the season after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I think jordi is capable of Heineken cup. Impressed me every time I've seen him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I think you could add Macken to the solid Pro12 list and Ruddock to solid HEC list.

We only have 4 back three options in the squad that will be there next season (not including McFadden, as hopeful he'll be a 12) and 3 the season after that, so expecting to bring at least 2 players through next season and a big signing the season after that.

How about the lads in England? Monahan, Keating?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Martin Moore is the big one I'm looking forward to seeing more in the Rabo, hopefully he gets some reasonable gametime

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I agree with that.

I'd like to see some guys like Cooney and Marshall kick on and start pushing older guys in their positions. Very hard to call this far ahead of time though.

And guys like Byrne and Coghlan could show up next season or could just keep slowly developing, very hard to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,945 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think we'll be seeing a lot more of Jack Mc Grath next season. Don't know if we'll bring in another loose head to replace VdM but we'll probably see a lot more game time for Mc Grath anyway.

And is anyone else now a bit concerned that Rob Kearney and Luke Fitz are both in the last year of their contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

rrpc wrote: »

Edward Byrne and Bryan Byrne look like they're the same person!

Edit: twins seemingly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Hahaha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Could we add Collie O'Shea to the 'ready for Pro12' list?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Could we add Collie O'Shea to the 'ready for Pro12' list?

Don't know. Where has he been actually? Since Coughlan's switch he's been given feck all time. He's looked good anytime I've seen him but I don't think he's pro12 ready, no.

Tracey and O'Connell are a couple of fellas I could see being involved in the senior squad next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Watching Bent on Friday and seeing the lack of progress Hagan has made, I just wish that Martin Moore is given his shot next season. God knows Ireland could do with a quality TH back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

I just can't understand how Declan kidney continues to leave Ian Madigan out of the Irish squads and keeps paddy Jackson. I don't think there is any question who has played better this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

Why the note beside Aaron Dundon not being a long term option?

Why the note beside Aaron Dundon not being a long term option?

He's 31 AFAIK

Woody1997 wrote: »
    I just can't understand how Declan kidney continues to leave Ian Madigan out of the Irish squads and keeps paddy Jackson. I don't think there is any question who has played better this year?

Madigan has looked good at times, bad at others. Jackson the same but probably hasn't hit either extreme as conclusively. Jackson though has been the starter in one of the best teams in the Heineken Cup. Not the case for Madigan.

I'd have both, but if I had to choose right now, it'd be Jackson.

• Advertisement

If someone is looking for a back 3 player, what about Zac Guilford?

The guy is a nutter and needs to sort his life out, but maybe a complete change of scenery is what is needed to accomplish that?

Bring him over here and insert him into a mature squad of seasoned professionals, give him an average salary (which is probably more than he's ever made) and pay Enda McNulty to help him get his life back on track. Then see what happens. If he relapses then terminate his contract (with a clause of some sort preferably) and send him home, if he sorts himself out then we can keep him until he wants to leave. It allows him time to fix things because we wouldn't be relying on him to start.

I think we have enough depth as things are, though, to be honest. Just was thinking about what's going to happen to the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Madigan has looked good at times, bad at others. Jackson the same but probably hasn't hit either extreme as conclusively. Jackson though has been the starter in one of the best teams in the Heineken Cup. Not the case for Madigan.

I'd have both, but if I had to choose right now, it'd be Jackson.
    I think you could sum it up as Jackson being solid if unspectacular and Madigan being spectacular if not always solid. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Woody1997 wrote: »

If it's both madigian and sexton from leinster in the squad, who's going to be avail then for the pro12 games during the 6 nations? I don't think Reid is up to it yet.

If it's both madigian and sexton from leinster in the squad, who's going to be avail then for the pro12 games during the 6 nations? I don't think Reid is up to it yet.

Yeah it works out for Leinster, but I doubt they were thinking about that when selecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Had they both been called up, I imagine Goodman would have covered 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

So what are our options at 10 next year?we have madigan obviously,after that there is Reid who has looked decent at "A" level but struggling at Rabo level and Cathal marsh who looks very good potentially but a couple of seasons off Rabo yet. We will definitely be signing someone who can play Heineken cup level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Clegg wrote: »
    I think we'll be seeing a lot more of Jack Mc Grath next season. Don't know if we'll bring in another loose head to replace VdM but we'll probably see a lot more game time for Mc Grath anyway.

And is anyone else now a bit concerned that Rob Kearney and Luke Fitz are both in the last year of their contracts?

After this week, I'm concerned about every Leinster player in the last year of their contract, or even the last 18 months of a 24 month contract...

Hope you're right regarding McGrath, I really hope he's given a shot as #2 to Healy, at least for the season to see how he gets on. Personally, I think he would surprise a few people if given game time against some top opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

IMO - From the names that others might not be overly very familiar with.

These might be the players that get gametime in the 13/14 season

Ready to be a solid HEC Option
    David Kearney (back 3 player)
    Eoin O'Malley (Second centre - returning from injury, this based on pre-injury form regained)
    Dominic Ryan (6/7 - again, dependent on his return from injury not knocking him off development course)

Ready for HEC Exposure

Aaron Dundon (hooker) {note: not a long term option}
    Jack McGrath (prop - LH that has played TH before)

Ready to be a solid Pro12 option

Jordi Murphy (back row)
    Ben Marshall (2nd / Back Row)
    Darren Hudson (Back 3 player)
    John Cooney (Scrum Half)
    Mark Flanagan (2nd Row)

Ready for Pro12 exposure
    Noel Reid (10/12)
    Martin Moore (TightHead)
    Sam Coghlan-Murray ( Back 3 player)

Macken?

I'd have him in the second braket maybe....bit optimistic? He has improved this season though.

Next season if we have BOD and O'Malley I'm not sure where Macken will get a chance to play Heineken Cup rugby. I'd be worried enough about O'Malley getting enough time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

EOM needs a full season of uninterrupted rugby before Leinster can count on him. He has one of the worst injury records of a professional player in Ireland. Macken has steadily improved this season and is still 21. If Macken grabs his opportunity during the 6N, EOM could find himself level pegging and fighting it out to get the 13 jersey next season.

I think Macken is ready to be used as HEC back up next season. He has shown an aptitude for learning and developing as a player. His defence is improving and hopefully it will be better again next season. Interesting times ahead given BOD will either retire this summer or probably phased out over the next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement