Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

.ak wrote: »
    Wait, are you saying it's only opinion that this Leinster team is the best in European history?

Depends on the criteria you are using.

Its Toulouse if you base it on no. of games won/lost in the history of the competition.

Its Toulouse if you base it on no. of cups won in the history of the competition.

If its the no. of cup wins in a 4 year period, its Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

jm08 wrote: »

Its Toulouse if you base it on no. of games won/lost in the history of the competition.

Its Toulouse if you base it on no. of cups won in the history of the competiiton.

Its its the no. of cup wins in a 4 year period, its Leinster.

No, I said this team. That's not pertinent here - we're talking about a group of players.

It's fact that this Leinster team is the best team in European history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

F**k's sake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Its Toulouse if you base it on no. of cups won in the history of the competition.

I think he used the term this Leinster team are the best in European history rather than Leinster are the best team in European history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Especially since his family (wife and kid/kids?) are settled in dublin.

Plus his wife is American. Munster is hardly any nearer her family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Think he said "team" as opposed to "club". Leinster have the best "team" in the history of the HC, Toulouse have been the best "club. Munster are neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Think he said "team" as opposed to "club". Leinster have the best "team" in the history of the HC, Toulouse have been the best "club. Munster are neither.

No, but we have probably provided the most drama :pac:. Seriously, though, why are ye even bothering anymore? This always goes the same way, i.e. nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Ross doesn't want to leave. He wants to finish his career at Leinster. He has said in the past he sees Leinster as his home. The arrival of Bent and the impact he made in his brief Irish career to date, however, have made Ross's position less valuable and the IRFU are negotiating accordingly. I would be very surprised if Ross left Leinster though for what is very likely to be his last ever contract. There isn't a huge amount of love for Munster with Ross. They didn't want him first time around and didn't want him second time around. They made an inquiry the third time in 2011 which wasn't entertained; Ross told the IRFU he wanted to stay put.

I'm not even too sure that Munster would be interested in getting a guy who will be 34 next season at this point.

Quint2010 wrote: »

But its wasn't the same group of players for the 3 wins. Leinster even had two different coaching teams.

Players to have won 3 H Cups are:
    BOD, D'Arcy, Nacewa, Sexton, Healy, Cullen, Jennings & Heaslip.

I never claimed that Munster were the best of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ssaye wrote: »
    YOUTUBE Talking heads - road to no where /YOUTUBE

I was going to go with the magic roundabout theme myself but I see where you are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

But its wasn't the same group of players for the 3 wins. Leinster even had two different coaching teams.

Over half the team, and the spine of the team. if you take only the last two the numbers jump up. there was a large enough clear out between 2009 and 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I could have sworn Fitzgerald, Toner, Kearney and SOB have won the HEC three times. I must be mistaken.

GerM wrote: »
    Ross doesn't want to leave. He wants to finish his career at Leinster. He has said in the past he sees Leinster as his home. The arrival of Bent and the impact he made in his brief Irish career to date, however, have made Ross's position less valuable and the IRFU are negotiating accordingly. I would be very surprised if Ross left Leinster though for what is very likely to be his last ever contract. There isn't a huge amount of love for Munster with Ross. They didn't want him first time around and didn't want him second time around. They made an inquiry the third time in 2011 which wasn't entertained; Ross told the IRFU he wanted to stay put.

I'm not even too sure that Munster would be interested in getting a guy who will be 34 next season at this point.

Sensible post. I can't see Munster wanting Ross either because of his age. Keeping BJ would be a much better plan because it would allow Munster to give the younger props. another year or so to develop - as it is, they are getting plenty of gametime with BJ there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

That's half the team for god sake!

In any case, O'Brien and Toner have 3 H Cup winners medals too. And that's not including Rob Kearney, Luke Fitzgerald and a few more who were part of the team for those 3 years but injured for one of the wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

eoferrall wrote: »
    Over half the team, and the spine of the team. if you take only the last two the numbers jump up. there was a large enough clear out between 2009 and 2011.

No, it's all bollocks.

Luke Fitzgerald was a key figure in all three wins, Rob Kearney the same, Sean O'Brien was on the bench for the 09 final and played in other two, Toner was there in 09 as well.

Lads, please don't indulge this sh*te any longer.

I could have sworn Fitzgerald, Toner, Kearney and SOB have won the HEC three times. I must be mistaken.

Kearney didn't feature in 2011 due to injury. O'Brien and Toner were unused subs in 09 so they doesn't count. Fitz doesn't count because he was injured for the final in 2012

At least that's JMs point of view

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Toner has three HEC medals. Thereby making him a better lock than POC.

As long as we're having idiotic conversations I thought I'd play along.

Kearney didn't feature in 2011 due to injury. O'Brien and Toner were unused subs in 09 so they doesn't count. Fitz doesn't count because he was injured for the final in 2012

At least that's JMs point of view

This shows who got the medals:

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/matchcentre/players_statistics_archive.php?player=20299&includeref=dynamic

Apparently Fitz and Kearney have 2, and SOB and Toner have 3. I don't know how accurate it is but that's the official ERC site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

You are correct they all have won three aswell, so the list of players who have won three is Healy, Toner, Cullen, Jennings, Heaslip, O'Brien, Sexton, D'Arcy, BOD, Fitzgerald, Nacewa, Kearney, McFadden. Thats enough players to be classified as a team.

Tox56 wrote: »
    This shows who got the medals:

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/matchcentre/players_statistics_archive.php?player=20299&includeref=dynamic

Apparently Fitz and Kearney have 2, and SOB and Toner have 3. I don't know how accurate it is but that's the official ERC site.

Everyone who features at any stage of the campaign gets medals (Clint Newland has one) taht just shows who makes the match day 23 for the final

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

tolosenc wrote: »
    If Ross does go to Munster, can we get Radge as part of the deal. For the lulz.

That's be great - bring him in, and instantly retire him.

Toner, O'Brien, S Keogh & Dempsey unused subs against Leicester.
    Kearney missed the Northampton came through injury.
    Luke Fitz - injured for last year against Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Fwiw, I'd much rather have Botha than Ross.

But if we're not allowed have a NIQ, we are in deep shít. It looks like Leinster have 4-5 good THs (some of them are a lot younger, Ross won't be around forever). I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them leave...however, I would say Hagan would be the most likely to move tbqh. He'd be almost guaranteed a starting spot with Munster while he is at best 3rd choice at Leinster, with both Moore and Furlong looking to overtake him.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Fwiw, I'd much rather have Botha than Ross.

But if we're not allowed have a NIQ, we are in deep shít. It looks like Leinster have 4-5 good THs (some of them are a lot younger, Ross won't be around forever). I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them leave...however, I would say Hagan would be the most likely to move tbqh. He'd be almost guaranteed a starting spot with Munster while he is at best 3rd choice at Leinster, with both Moore and Furlong looking to overtake him.

Be funny if both Hagan and Carr gone from Leinster next year. Possible.

Hagan has improved under good coaching. Carr has regressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

ssaye wrote: »
    Be funny if both Hagan and Carr gone from Leinster next year. Possible.

Hagan has improved under good coaching. Carr has regressed.

But Hagan's improvement is not as much as people would have hoped when he first joined, I think.

As for Carr, I think it's just his flaws are more exposed when surrounded by better players. And I think he might be lacking a bit of confidence too.

But Hagan's improvement is not as much as people would have hoped when he first joined, I think.

As for Carr, I think it's just his flaws are more exposed when surrounded by better players. And I think he might be lacking a bit of confidence too.

Absolutely, he was frustrating in many games but I think he is better than years ago, carr is not

I had the first season written off when you realise how much conditioning he needed, he wouldn't be the first tighthead to arrive at Leinster needing to improve his fitness.

I see this as his first full season and I think he has been decent enough. I don't know if he's good enough to improve to the level of Ross, but I haven't been overly disappointed in his progress. From what I've seen not all Leinster fans think the same though.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    That's half the team for god sake!

OK then - Leinster had the best half of a team in the history of the Heineken Cup!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement