Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

ssaye wrote: »
    5:56 to 6:03 is shocking on Cullen at the post

There was other incident off the ball with him and others but that was bad.

I remember watching that on the telly, knowing that if the ref saw it that we'd win. Screaming at the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

molloyjh wrote: »
    Am I the only one who can still feel the nerves when watching that?

Yep was a horrible watch for the last few minutes. First time I watched a match in Kielys, I was an emotional wreck after it! My mate had to go outside the door when CA got the last peno and just heard the roar from inside when O'Brien robbed the ball to end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I was physically shaking for a good 10 minutes after Barnes blew the whistle, amazing finish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Higher wrote: »
    Apparently Kidney was critical of Ross after the South Africa game. To break that down for you, a journalist has claimed that Kidney criticized Ross after the South Africa game when speaking with him. It is completely unacceptable. No doubt Kidney said the same to Thornley considering he also questioned Ross.

http://whiffofcordite.com/2012/11/20/playing-favourites/
    http://www.andymcgeady.com/kidney-sending-a-signal-to-mike-ross/
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1116/1224326665633.html
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1117/1224326704277.html

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭DeDoc

Higher wrote: »
    there you go

well regarded Journalist............David Kelly..............DOES NOT COMPUTE (unless you're Conor George) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I remember when Fofana knocked it on, we were so far away from that corner in the Leinster section, but I remember being convinced someone had kicked it out of his hand cuz it rocketed up so quickly. I remember the entire feeling of dread taking over though, and then the entire Leinster section going quiet.

When it went up on the big screen beside us and we saw he didn't ground it it was like we won the world cup. Everyone was jumping up and down on the chairs, hugging random strangers. It was '99 all over again, and Prince was on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

tolosenc wrote: »

So, it all goes back to Whiff of Cordite who took these two 'quotes' from Thornley and came to the conclusion that Kidney publicly criticised Ross.
    The selection is also notable for retaining Mike Ross ahead of Michael Bent, which suggests that management want more from their established tighthead than was shown last week.

The selection of Mike Ross to start again at tighthead rather than have a longer look at Michael Bent suggests the management were less than thrilled with the performance of Ross last week, when he was called ashore after conceding a costly couple of scrum penalties.

Then Kidney explains that Mike Ross needed gametime before the Argentinian game:[/QUOTE]
    “ But Declan Kidney made it abundantly clear Ross needed game time in the aftermath of the Fijian game.”

If Conor George wants to keep his job with the Indo, he'd be better off not quoting a suitor (Whiff of Cordite) for the style of hack that the Indo like to recruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

OK this is the Leinster thread. If you have issues with what Kidney did/didn't do to Ross please go debate it in the Ireland thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Somewhat more relevant to how Mike Ross's week might pan out is the news that Thomas Domingo went down in training this morning in Clermont. The swelling is too much right now for them to make a full assessment but it's quite likely he won't be involved in Sunday's game leaving Vincent Debaty to step into the breach. Debaty is someone that Ross was very comfortable against last season and, hopefully, will be able to put a squeeze on if Domingo's absence is confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

GerM wrote: »
    Somewhat more relevant to how Mike Ross's week might pan out is the news that Thomas Domingo went down in training this morning in Clermont. The swelling is too much right now for them to make a full assessment but it's quite likely he won't be involved in Sunday's game leaving Vincent Debaty to step into the breach. Debaty is someone that Ross was very comfortable against last season and, hopefully, will be able to put a squeeze on if Domingo's absence is confirmed.

Oooh that's interesting.
    Another few (two week long very minor) injuries for Clermont might even things up a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

That would be awesome, Debaty is decent but not in the same league as Domingo.

So now that Goodman is in the squad and Dave Kearney is struggling for fitness, I wonder will we see Goodman at 12, D'Arcy at 13 and McFadden on the wing? Might be the best combination...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

That would be awesome, Debaty is decent but not in the same league as Domingo.

So now that Goodman is in the squad and Dave Kearney is struggling for fitness, I wonder will we see Goodman at 12, D'Arcy at 13 and McFadden on the wing? Might be the best combination...

That would mean Conway on the other wing, which would be a big drop from D. Kearney imo.

Not impressed with Conway at all, particularly defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

That would mean Conway on the other wing, which would be a big drop from D. Kearney imo.

Or Madigan 15 and Nacewa on the wing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

GerM wrote: »

That could really help us get the upper hand in the scrums, which will be crucial if we want to win the game.

I thought Conway was solid enough in defence in most of his games earlier this season, although he was disappointing against Zebre the other night

He does have a spark, and it wouldn't be the first time a young back was given his chance through injury at the SMM.. The last one was replacing BOD and delivered a very good performance, so you never know how they will respond until they were given the chance.

Clermont have some pretty damn good wingers though..

Tox56 wrote: »
    I thought Conway was solid enough in defence in most of his games earlier this season, although he was disappointing against Zebre the other night

He does have a spark, and it wouldn't be the first time a young back was given his chance through injury at the SMM.. The last one was replacing BOD and delivered a very good performance, so you never know how they will respond until they were given the chance.

Clermont have some pretty damn good wingers though..

I would be a little uncomfortable if Conway was up against that giant Fijian winger of theirs whose name I can't spell, so I'm really hoping Kearney will be fit.

I would be a little uncomfortable if Conway was up against that giant Fijian winger of theirs whose name I can't spell, so I'm really hoping Kearney will be fit.

Yep that's the problem. Given Schmidt's tendency to be more conservative away from home I would be very surprised to see Conway start (or even be involved), but injuries may leave him with no choice. If the alternative is Madigan at 15 we would be taking a huge risk anyway.

Then again, people were saying the same about O'Malley before the last game. OK he didn't give a defensive masterclass, but it didn't really hurt the team in the way some were suggesting it would, and it's harder to defend at 13 than wing.

I'd give a limb to have EOM (match fit tho) for this game actually...

Funny how things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Used google translate for this:

At rest the last weekend, like Wesley Fofana and Julien Bonnaire Naipolioni Nalaga, Thomas Domingo might not be able to return on Sunday for the receipt of Leinster in the Heineken Cup third round . The left pillar of Clermont, in November asked the XV of France, left training early Wednesday morning, touched his right knee. Questioned on the subject, Vern Cotter, the manager of the ASM did not want to comment on this topic. "It will pass exams tomorrow (Thursday) morning and we'll know more. Then be given accurate information," he said. So in response the day Thursday on the state of health Domingo, which in case of withdrawal, join Julien Malzieu, Gerhard Vosloo and Clément Ric on the absentee list.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yep that's the problem. Given Schmidt's tendency to be more conservative away from home I would be very surprised to see Conway start (or even be involved), but injuries may leave him with no choice. If the alternative is Madigan at 15 we would be taking a huge risk anyway.

Then again, people were saying the same about O'Malley before the last game. OK he didn't give a defensive masterclass, but it didn't really hurt the team in the way some were suggesting it would, and it's harder to defend at 13 than wing.
    In fairness anyone who had seen O'Malley properly before that game knew he was a solid defender. It was just some people scared that his inexperience would be costly despite his defensive abilities (which were one of the most important features behind him breaking into the team ahead of McFadden (who was a 13 when he arrived).

On the other hand Conway is dodgy in comparison, unless I'm mistaken. I would be very scared by the prospect of him starting unless he's sure of himself in defense on a normal day. It has to be McFadden and Nacewa on the wings with Madigan at 15 for me. A dodgy 15 isn't going to cause as many problems as a dodgy winger.

• Advertisement

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Used google translate for this:

Jeez I totally misread that and thought it said Fofana, Nalaga, Bonnaire and Domingo were all out! That would just about even up things. ;)

In fairness anyone who had seen O'Malley properly before that game knew he was a solid defender. It was just some people scared that his inexperience would be costly despite his defensive abilities (which were one of the most important features behind him breaking into the team ahead of McFadden (who was a 13 when he arrived).

On the other hand Conway is dodgy in comparison, unless I'm mistaken. I would be very scared by the prospect of him starting unless he's sure of himself in defense on a normal day. It has to be McFadden and Nacewa on the wings with Madigan at 15 for me. A dodgy 15 isn't going to cause as many problems as a dodgy winger.

And Madigan is actually a fantastic defender, hes just prone to silly errors. It would be disappointing not to be able to play Nacewa at FB though.

.ak wrote: »
    Jeez I totally misread that and thought it said Fofana, Nalaga, Bonnaire and Domingo were all out! That would just about even up things. ;)

Damn me too and I got excited and went off and told my family :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd be happy to see Conway on the wing. Huge ask for him, and I don't know if he's ready for it, but I'd be happy to see it.

By and large yes, but the big thing against him has always been his physicality. Up against the likes of Rougerie, Nalaga and Malzieu that was always going to be a concern, and if I remember correctly he was brushed off once or twice during the game.

Obviously I'd rather have a full strength team and have Conway nowhere near France, but I think people (not just here) are underestimating him. I wouldn't mind taking a punt on him, and although I can't see Joe going for it, he will know if Conway is up to it defensively better than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭phog

tolosenc wrote: »
    Kidney should be fired on the spot, regardless of the fact that he is totally incompetent as a coach, if he is publicly criticising players in an attempt to get them moved to Munster.

It would also go a long way to proving that at the core, he is a Munster fan, who cares little for the national team of the the 3 other provinces.

However, if the IRFU are involved in any such plot, then we are in big trouble.

Jackass's rants about Kidney and the IRFU "saving Munster" might be more true than we think.

Please tell me that you wrote this knowing that there isn't a grain of truth in it, bar the bit about Jackass's rants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I would be a little uncomfortable if Conway was up against that giant Fijian winger of theirs whose name I can't spell

Sivivatu? Nakataici? Nalaga? They really do have a ridiculously big squad.

phog wrote: »
    Please tell me that you wrote this knowing that there isn't a grain of truth in it, bar the bit about Jackass's rants.

Please don't answer it. Atleast not here. If you want to talk about Munster move it to the munster thread, if you want to talk about Ireland then move it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

By and large yes, but the big thing against him has always been his physicality. Up against the likes of Rougerie, Nalaga and Malzieu that was always going to be a concern, and if I remember correctly he was brushed off once or twice during the game.

Obviously I'd rather have a full strength team and have Conway nowhere near France, but I think people (not just here) are underestimating him. I wouldn't mind taking a punt on him, and although I can't see Joe going for it, he will know if Conway is up to it defensively better than I do.

To be fair I don't think people questioned his physicality, they questioned his size. I believe that's what you meant, but the two are quite different and I always felt that people were being very disrespectful assuming that he couldn't defend the bigger guys based purely on looking at him and going - geez, he's small.

He's actually an excellent defender and always was.
    Being brushed off once or twice in one of your first high profile games is to be expected, regardless of size as I assume the pace and intensity would take some getting used to.

• Advertisement

dub_skav wrote: »
    To be fair I don't think people questioned his physicality, they questioned his size. I believe that's what you meant, but the two are quite different and I always felt that people were being very disrespectful assuming that he couldn't defend the bigger guys based purely on looking at him and going - geez, he's small.

He's actually an excellent defender and always was.
    Being brushed off once or twice in one of your first high profile games is to be expected, regardless of size as I assume the pace and intensity would take some getting used to.

I think I'm right in saying physicality rather than size. According to the Leinster profiles he is the same height and only a few pounds lighter than Brian O'Driscoll, but I don't think he has the same power and physicality as BOD (not many do). If it was purely on size you would think BOD has trouble against bigger opposition, and that's obviously not the case.

I don't think he's a bad defender (far from it), but I do think he does suffer from a lack of physicality or power, or whatever you want to call it (relatively speaking). I don't think it's a major issue, but it doesn't help someone his size.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement