Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys attacking cyclists in Dublin!!

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've moved posts relating to this morning's tragic incident in Kerry when a cyclist was killed as a result of a "hit and run" incident to a separate thread. We have no information concerning intent/fault at this stage and it is not appropriate to speculate on such matters here

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

PCPhoto wrote: »
    its all fun and games till someone gets knocked off and suffers a fatal injury - this idiots should have their licences revoked and be banned from driving for a minimum of 5 years and if caught during that time....straight to jail for a minimum of 3yrs (keep the roads a bit safer)

What licenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eyesquirm

tying them to a tree in a field, stripping them off, covering them in salt and letting in a few sucky calves is too good for them. f**kin pikeys

Jeez, I'd go for that myself.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Fcking disgraceful.

I've had a cup thrown at me, because I failed to appease a driver's passenger. I was stopped at traffic lights, and was turning right, so I was, naturally, at the left side of the right lane (close to the centre of the road, essentially).

Your one rolled down the window, and asked me to move over to the left lane. I said, no I'm turning right. The same was demanded of me two more times. I just said no and ignored her. 5 sec later, I had a cup thrown off me :/ Didn't catch the reg number, unfortunately. I was very pissed. :(

I've also had motorists beep at me for "being in the way" (as if they owned the road). Situations whereby I'm in the right lane, and there are two cars behind me in both lanes. Because one, or both, can't safely overtake me at that time, they get annoyed and start beeping :/ Very annoying indeed, considering.

Another time, someone to whom I was parallel suddenly turned left without any indicators (not that it would have mattered, we were parallel to each other at that point), and I slammed into the side of that car. luckily I was not injured - my brakes had fortunately been tightened earlier that day and were in top shape.

I realise that these things happen, and I'm sure, in fact, I know, cyclists break the rules of the road too, but I feel as if motorists feel a sense of entitlement to the road over cyclists, and are generally disrespectful towards them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

eyesquirm wrote: »
    Jeez, I'd go for that myself.

:pac::pac::pac:

Ive heard its an old West Limerick vigilante 'cure' for kiddy fiddlers.
    Ever let a calf lick your hand? the tongue is rough as sandpaper, but sure what ever your into, some people pay good money for that sort of thing.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Gumbi wrote: »

....I was very pissed. :(

is that euphemism in an American or Irish context?
    ;)

;)
    :D "....off" Does that clarify it? :)

;)
    :D "....off" Does that clarify it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Columbia wrote: »
    Outrageous that the Gardai are not doing more to help.

Last week in Blackrock Village an Italian reg swerved to hit/intimidate me. Caught up with him at the next lights and asked him if he done it on purpose, he said yes, that I shouldn't be on the road. I told him he should learn the rules of the road and went on, he was revving his car and nudging towards me while telling me to step aside.

Garda told me that they could only do something if I was killed... What... the... fcuk... (so basically you can get away with a lot of crimes abroad...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

This is why i don't like SPD-SL, can't plant the feet properly when you're throwing that right hook... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Garda told me that they could only do something if I was killed... What... the... fcuk... (so basically you can get away with a lot of crimes abroad...)
    one time when i had a minor issue with the way gardai handled a (non-cycling related) issue, i emailed the press office to enquire as to whether the way it was handled was policy. i got an apologetic email, explaining how the call should have been handled, and a promise that they would contact the super in the relevant station to follow up the issue. granted, that could have been an empty promise, but it may be an avenue to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Last week in Blackrock Village an Italian reg swerved to hit/intimidate me. Caught up with him at the next lights and asked him if he done it on purpose, he said yes, that I shouldn't be on the road. I told him he should learn the rules of the road and went on, he was revving his car and nudging towards me while telling me to step aside.

Silver family wagon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

one time when i had a minor issue with the way gardai handled a (non-cycling related) issue, i emailed the press office to enquire as to whether the way it was handled was policy. i got an apologetic email, explaining how the call should have been handled, and a promise that they would contact the super in the relevant station to follow up the issue. granted, that could have been an empty promise, but it may be an avenue to try?

Isn't That what GSOC is for.

OP, surely that is attempted assualt.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

OldBean wrote: »
    Silver family wagon?

It was a silver car but small enough. The incident happened at the turn off to the dart station at the lights. Did you happen to witness it? I didn't take his reg as I was in a wee bit of shock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bazermc wrote: »
    Isn't That what GSOC is for.
    i think you would need to make an official complaint to GSOC who would then have to investigate; if you try to handle it within the gardai, you *may* get a superintendent who is willing to give a subordinate a kick up the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I live in a place plagued by tourists, and it's the Italian reg cars are most likely to be doing something scary on the roads, though to be fair they're campers and those things are probably impossible to build up speed fast enough to overtake a cyclist properly. Some bloke got really offended that I overtook him in my car and started beeping and flashing, and this is only in the past fortnight :D

Isn't cycling fairly popular in Italy? You'd swear he'd have known better than to be at that like. I've also heard that the Gards don't touch foreign drivers, seems a bit of a shambles, but thats the first i've heard of a tourist being deliberately aggressive, most of the time it is probably them being a bit confused to the way we do it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If you have the reg number(s) of these Italian reg cars, you could try to report them to Revenue. If they're resident here, they're supposed to transfer the car to an Irish Reg within 7 days of it entering the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

OldBean wrote: »
    No, I'm afraid not, but there's an Italian reg'd car that goes from the Dart station to Deansgrange regularly that gets up to similar antics. Not friendly people.

My neck of the woods.

There's no point in escalating the situation. Stay calm, get the number and a pic of the car/reg if you can. Report it to the Guards in Blackrock straight away.

If this kind of behaviour is happening on a regular basis someone will be getting a knock on the door sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    If you have the reg number(s) of these Italian reg cars, you could try to report them to Revenue. If they're resident here, they're supposed to transfer the car to an Irish Reg within 7 days of it entering the state.

Beasty is all over it. His pet hate is people not paying the state what they are supposed to!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I was cycling home along the luas track between Goldenbridge and blackhorse, and suddenly something quite heavy hit me on the frame of the bike splashing some kind of liquid (beer, water, pi$$?)over my trousers. I was quite shaken when I realized that it was a can filled up with the above liquid thrown by a bunch of knackers sitting on the other side of the canal and cheering about the fact that they just hit the target. I shouted some abuse at them but they just laughed at me, I then decided to move on, only to notice that they were throwing cans at most of the cyclist. I stopped at blackhorse trying to spot a garda: I waited a good 10 minutes until I decided to head home when I finally encountered a police car. I explained what happened and explained that I could easily be dead if I was hit in the head, they ensured me that they were aware of the matter and that they would be looking into it as soon as possible :rolleyes:
    They didn't bother to ask me WHERE it happened, WHEN it happened or how they looked like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Here's part of the solution;

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=24051

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

jon1981 wrote: »
    This is why i don't like SPD-SL, can't plant the feet properly when you're throwing that right hook... :pac:
    Take your shoe off & swing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

daragh_ wrote: »
    My neck of the woods.

There's no point in escalating the situation. Stay calm, get the number and a pic of the car/reg if you can. Report it to the Guards in Blackrock straight away.

If this kind of behaviour is happening on a regular basis someone will be getting a knock on the door sooner or later.
    My neck of the woods as well, hope you arent put off the bike by the italian numpties or la numptio as they are known as back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Ask the gardai to get the drivers insurance details as you plan to take an action through the PIAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Can't believe this..it confirms what I've been thinking lately about society and that's that average Joe these days is a sociopath. I cycle but only to Inchicore village and back, maybe to imma, even these leisure cycles have me coming home with near death experience stories.
    I think anyone who commutes has balls of steel to be honest.

On a more positive note I'm a very courteous driver and always make sure to give lots of space to cyclists so they can do what they need to do. I quite enjoy it actually. Oneness and all that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Best I heard was from a very experienced cyclist who encountered problems with a driver who nearly killed him and ran him off the road. He casually bent over into the drivers window, pulled out his car keys, informed the driver were he was going, and cycled to nearest Garda Station to present the keys. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

lolo62 wrote: »
    Can't believe this..it confirms what I've been thinking lately about society and that's that average Joe these days is a sociopath. I cycle but only to Inchicore village and back, maybe to imma, even these leisure cycles have me coming home with near death experience stories.
    I think anyone who commutes has balls of steel to be honest.

On a more positive note I'm a very courteous driver and always make sure to give lots of space to cyclists so they can do what they need to do. I quite enjoy it actually. Oneness and all that!!

These incidents are still rare, i've covered thousands of kms through Dublin city centre and can only think of one where someone revving an engine and lurching forward as a way of intimidation. I'd reckon that's one incident out of 8 years of mostly daily cycling.
    greenmat wrote: »
    Best I heard was from a very experienced cyclist who encountered problems with a driver who nearly killed him and ran him off the road. He casually bent over into the drivers window, pulled out his car keys, informed the driver were he was going, and cycled to nearest Garda Station to present the keys. :)

That's how you end up with your head kicked in tbh. Or caught under the wheels of a car as they attempt to speed away. Dangerous stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

These incidents are still rare, i've covered thousands of kms through Dublin city centre and can only think of one where someone revving an engine and lurching forward as a way of intimidation. I'd reckon that's one incident out of 8 years of mostly daily cycling.

Thanks for the reassurance. I hope I'm not becoming cynical :/ I definitely think there's a low empathy level for the ridiculous positions cyclists can find themselves in though. Like when a cycle lane just disappears or there's road works in the middle of it. Maybe when you're a more confident cyclist it's easier to hold your ground but if you just cycle as a sunny day alternative to the car or bus it can be an ordeal. Not always but if you've ever cycled in Germany it's hard not to compare the experiences :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Happens to me quite a lot, but outside town heading south. I'd say it happens every week or so. No idea why.

I was coming back from racing Tuesday night and a grey 131 corolla with 3 lads in it felt compelled to cross the n11, pull up beside me, shout at me, comment on my anatomy, then pull off again. :rolleyes::mad: It does happen, but no enough to put you off. A lot more so in Spring/summer/autumn (the shouting). Almost never in winter for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

On the flip side, a couple of times in the last three months drivers that have shouted abuse at me have then driven straight through red lights. In one instance a guy with three kids in the back had stopped at the red light and saw me coming up and drove through the junction narrowly missing cars coming across.
    I had no intention of confronting him.

Advertisement