Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys attacking cyclists in Dublin!!

Options
  • 30-06-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Got knocked off this morning on the N81 outbound near the Embankment at 0730.

4 guys in a silver punto <snip> came by, one of whom leaned out the window and pushed me causing me to crash. they sped off.

Called the gardai who came up straight away and when I gave the reg number they said guys in the same car had done they same thing a week or so ago in Clondalkin.

To others cycling in the area beware of these c**nts. Or if it's happened to you give tallaght gardai a ring. They were very pleasant etc but said they likely wouldn't catch them. Car registered to a fake name.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Thats terrible, hope they run that car over a cliff with themselfs in it, b**tards. I'd push this harder with the Gardai, they need to nab these cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Sorry to hear that OP, were you injured ?

It says grey colour on history car check

<snip>

Surely Guards can do better than this,they have to follow through the complaint you made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

<snip>
    I'm looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Outrageous that the Gardai are not doing more to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Gotta watch out for it too on Stocking Lane in the evenings. Attempted push from the passenger seat three nights ago, hooned off too fast to get the reg. If you feel a car hovering on your back wheel a bit too close for a bit too long, it's a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Speedmerchant

Cut knee & bruised hip. Nothing serious except major dent in my pride.

Not sure what more the gards can do, they seemed genuinely concerned & said they'd ring me over the next few days with any developments. Would love if these f**king cowards got caught.

Thanks for nice messages above.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

As usual the Guards don't sound in the slightest bit interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

There was a guy stuck on my wheel for longer than usual on the straight section before Hellfire club on stocking lane on Thursday night around 7.30pm.

I looked around and waved him through. He eventually moved on. As the car passed the rear window began to close.
    I thought it was suspicious. Three people. Two in front and one in rear. Small car, I thought it was a White car.

At the top there were two cars doing donuts.

I won't be heading up there after work on my own in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

jayteecork wrote: »
    As usual the Guards don't sound in the slightest bit interested.
    Did you read the post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Put in a claim against their insurance for your injuries and damage to your bike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

There was a crazy poster on politics.ie. Another poster pointed below out....

That claim was made by TommyP who appears to be a dangerous, anti-cycling nutter. In the same thread he repeatedly admitted to buzzing cyclists who he feels are too far from the verge ("I dont keep any distance from them") and "viciously" beeping cyclists "in the hope of scaring them off the roads permanently". He claimed to do this to 2-3 cyclists every month. A few examples of his attitude:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/transport/146381-crackdown-dangerous-cyclists-40.html#post3578448
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/transport/146381-crackdown-dangerous-cyclists-42.html#post3580530
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/transport/146381-crackdown-dangerous-cyclists-43.html#post3580551
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/transport/146381-crackdown-dangerous-cyclists-45.html#post3584393
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/transport/146381-crackdown-dangerous-cyclists-45.html#post3586060
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/transport/146381-crackdown-dangerous-cyclists-46.html#post3611798

He was asked numerous times in that thread to substantiate his claim that cyclists must remain within 12 inches of the verge and didn't/couldn't because it's simply not true. In fact others cited legislation clearly showing the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This isn't just a Dublin thing. A few weeks ago at about 10am on a Sunday morning a white Peugeot 405 with 4 brain dead retards passed me. I was on the hard shoulder and the road is very wide. They started blowing the horn as they approached from behind and the prick in the rear passenger side opened his door wide as they passed. I'd say there was 6 inches between me and the door. Frightened the life out of me but thankfully I didn't fall. I can't say for sure but if I had to bet on it I'd say he was trying to knock me off. I didn't get the reg other than it was an N.Ireland reg. this happened on the ballybofey to Letterkenny road.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

4 guys in a silver punto <snip> came by, one of whom leaned out the window and pushed me causing me to crash. they sped off.

Called the gardai who came up straight away and when I gave the reg number they said guys in the same car had done they same thing a week or so ago in Clondalkin.

To others cycling in the area beware of these c**nts. Or if it's happened to you give tallaght gardai a ring. They were very pleasant etc but said they likely wouldn't catch them. Car registered to a fake name.

FFS what is the world coming to... hope you're allright OP.
    How easy is it to register a fake name... I recall having to take in my passport for proof if ID and a utility bill as proof of address when registering our car so how come these scumbags got away with this. :mad:

I might keep an eye on YouTube or equivilant for videos of this behaviour. We might see ourselves.

(if they do pop up it's important to remember the camera makes screams sound much more girlish than they actually were!)

Will post what (if anything) the gards say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

mp31 wrote: »

FFS what is the world coming to... hope you're allright OP.
    How easy is it to register a fake name... I recall having to take in my passport for proof if ID and a utility bill as proof of address when registering our car so how come these scumbags got away with this. :mad:

Just steal the plates off a similar car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I have the pleasure of cycling past a halting site every evening on the way home from work. I've had rocks, pieces of wood and on 1 occasion a piece of dog Sh!t thrown at me.

The joys of living in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Happened to me in Galway.
    I was off road between Moycullen and Spiddal.
    Car pulls up and a guy hits me on the back with a plank of wood.
    Then they went 200 hundred yards down the road and turned back.
    They just sped past.
    Hasn't stopped me cycling though!
    But it is advisable to go out with others if you can at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

hardCopy wrote: »
    Just steal the plates off a similar car

but surely in this day an age..... the gardai have traffic cameras with licence plate readers so a car can be located asap ....its not rocket science !!

Licence plate readers like the toll people have is all thats needed or a simple computer program running which would scan live images from the camera feeds, link up a database of car registrations of reported cars and hey presto Garda traffic control room has a track on offenders.

as for the OP ...I'm not a cyclist and not really a fan of some of the idiots that are ruining the reputation of the rest of you with the red-light jumping and excessive speeding/dangerous weaving in Dublin ...but this kind of behaviour deserves a serious punishment in the courts.

its all fun and games till someone gets knocked off and suffers a fatal injury - this idiots should have their licences revoked and be banned from driving for a minimum of 5 years and if caught during that time....straight to jail for a minimum of 3yrs (keep the roads a bit safer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

weiland79 wrote: »
    I have the pleasure of cycling past a halting site every evening on the way home from work. I've had rocks, pieces of wood and on 1 occasion a piece of dog Sh!t thrown at me.

The joys of living in Ireland!

Beautiful. God help ya, just because them tramps never worked a day. You shouldn't have to put up with that.

• Advertisement

An Garda Síochána uses Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) systems in its Garda Traffic Corps vehicles. ANPR uses optical character recognition technology to automatically read vehicle registration plates and is used in patrol cars by many police forces worldwide. The technology can read number plates at a rate of six per second on vehicles travelling up to 180km/h.

ANPR systems also include a speed detection capability. This allows for the measuring of the speed of a vehicle travelling in front of a patrol vehicle. The video camera records on-the-scene evidence of speeding, and offences such as dangerous driving, crossing continuous white lines and breaking red lights.

One of the main benefits of the system is that the plate recognition can run in the background while Gardaí are measuring speed or attending to other issues as demands dictate.

All vehicles fitted with ANPR camera systems will be able to identify vehicles as being stolen, untaxed, suspect, cited as connected with terrorist suspects, crime groups, drug trafficking, people trafficking and/or persistent offending.
    The systems therefore make a significant contribution to the fight against serious and organised criminal activity.

The planned nationwide roll out of ANPR in An Garda Síochána was completed in 2010 and 114 vehicles, mainly from the Traffic Corps, are now fitted with the technology. ANPR vehicles are now deployed in every Garda Division, with the number of vehicles allocated in each division based on various criteria including the type of roads, the amount of motorways and geographic profile.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=106&Lang=1

Let's hope APNR delivers then.

Or maybe a bunch of heroin children kept in a warm bath somewhere who predict traffic offences à la Minority Report.

Unfortunately I'd say they are both about as likely as each other in the hope of catching these guys.

I was cycling with a friend at the time. Don't think that made any difference to them.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

endacl wrote: »
    Did you read the post?

I did.

Considering the OP has the reg it sounds like they should be dead to rights.

"Blah blah we'll ring you back with any news blah blah"

Me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

endacl wrote: »
    Did you read the post?

I did.
    All of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 concernman

A quick test on mywheels says that car has not been taxed or have NCT for over 60 days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Jarren wrote: »
    An Garda Síochána uses Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) systems in its Garda Traffic Corps vehicles. ANPR uses optical character recognition technology to automatically read vehicle registration plates and is used in patrol cars by many police forces worldwide. The technology can read number plates at a rate of six per second on vehicles travelling up to 180km/h.

ANPR systems also include a speed detection capability. This allows for the measuring of the speed of a vehicle travelling in front of a patrol vehicle. The video camera records on-the-scene evidence of speeding, and offences such as dangerous driving, crossing continuous white lines and breaking red lights.

One of the main benefits of the system is that the plate recognition can run in the background while Gardaí are measuring speed or attending to other issues as demands dictate.

All vehicles fitted with ANPR camera systems will be able to identify vehicles as being stolen, untaxed, suspect, cited as connected with terrorist suspects, crime groups, drug trafficking, people trafficking and/or persistent offending.
    The systems therefore make a significant contribution to the fight against serious and organised criminal activity.

The planned nationwide roll out of ANPR in An Garda Síochána was completed in 2010 and 114 vehicles, mainly from the Traffic Corps, are now fitted with the technology. ANPR vehicles are now deployed in every Garda Division, with the number of vehicles allocated in each division based on various criteria including the type of roads, the amount of motorways and geographic profile.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=106&Lang=1

ever been in a car with one of those ANPR things on ? .... very annoying !! ... thing goes off every couple of mins.

the Gardai would be more sucessful using both the ANPR things and the toll plate readers ....simple enough to create the system I described earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Years ago I had a firework thrown under my wheel near portrane. Luckily, no damage was caused but my heart skipped a beat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I did.

Considering the OP has the reg it sounds like they should be dead to rights.

"Blah blah we'll ring you back with any news blah blah"

Me hole.

It sounds like a company car, in which case it's probably being used by a whole group of imbeciles. The reg doesn't tell anybody where the car is now or who was driving it at a particular time, so it's a long way off from "dead to rights".
    I'm not sure what reaction you expect from the garda taking the report?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,357 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've removed all identifying references to the motor vehicle. If the guards decide to publicise it, then it's OK to to post details (please provide a link though). However for all we know there could be someone perfectly innocently driving round in a vehicle with that particular number plate who could be wrongly accused because someone else has fake plates with the same number

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

That make, model, colour, and number plate would be miracle coincidence.
    Anyway I've remembered the details.

Advertisement