Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist killed in hit and run incident in Kerry - Condolences only - see post #7

Options
  • 01-07-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

PCPhoto wrote: »
    its all fun and games till someone gets knocked off and suffers a fatal injury - this idiots should have their licences revoked and be banned from driving for a minimum of 5 years and if caught during that time....straight to jail for a minimum of 3yrs (keep the roads a bit safer)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0701/man-dies-in-kerry-hit-and-run-incident.html
    Cyclist killed today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Ryaner wrote: »

Very sad, heard it earlier, 42 year old with 4 young kids training for the Ring of Kerry next Sat most likely, may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

RIP

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

AltAccount wrote: »
    As tragic as that is, it it connected to the assaults discussed here or just a tragic accident?

Probably impossible to say at this stage, as the identity of the motorist isn't known. Probably means there were no witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Probably impossible to say at this stage, as the identity of the motorist isn't known. Probably means there were no witnesses.

Rural kerry? Might have not been another car passing him for a half an hour or more...

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

BX 19 wrote: »
    Rural kerry? Might have not been another car passing him for a half an hour or more...

Pretty rural alright, depends on the time which is not known but Sunday mornings are very quiet on the roads generally and especially off the main routes as this was.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts moved from the Guys attacking cyclists in Dublin thread

This is a very unfortunate incident, but at this time we have no further information other than that included in the link posted above. Please do not speculate over cause/intent/fault - this thread should simply be used to express condolances

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Very sad, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

RIP. that is tragic

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

For what it is worth here's the detail from the garda press release:
    Garda - Fatal Hit & Run RTC, Kanturk
    Gardai in Kanturk are investigating all the circumstances of a fatal hit and run road traffic collision that occured between the hours of 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. this Sunday morning 1st July, 2012 in the townland of Scrahanfadda, Gneeveguilla, Co. Kerry.

The male pedal cyclist (early 40's) was fatally injured when he was out for a cycle.

The road has been closed pending completion of an examination by Garda Forensic Collision Investigators. Local diversions are in place.

Gardai wish to appeal for witnesses to this collision or to any one who may have travelled the road from/to Killarney via Gneeveguilla or who can assist them with their investigation to contact Kanturk Garda Station on 028 - 20680, The Garda Confidential Telephone Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

rip. very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Desperate news altogether. R.I.P.

I cannot understand how the driver did a runner. How could someone not have a heart and leave a person there to die? Unforgivable. People say that some people panic but at least the driver should have had the decency to call an ambulance, and I don't take the excuse that it is easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Sad to here this at anytime, condolences to his family, hope the gutless driver is caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

RIP.

I was out this morning training for the ROK like a lot of others, it does make you stop and think that it could happen to any of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭wonga77

very sad to hear, can never understand how somebody can drive away, the guilt must surely eat away at them forever
    RIP

rash wrote: »
    RIP.

I was out this morning training for the ROK like a lot of others, it does make you stop and think that it could happen to any of us.

I was training too. It could have been any one of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

What a terribly sad story. Going out for a bike spin shouldn't end like this. RIP.
    I really hope the cowardly driver is caught very quickly and dealt with accordingly.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

teednab-el wrote: »
    I cannot understand how the driver did a runner. How could someone not have a heart and leave a person there to die? Unforgivable. People say that some people panic but at least the driver should have had the decency to call an ambulance, and I don't take the excuse that it is easier said than done.
    We do not know the circumstances of this incident. "Hit and run" does not automatically mean "knowingly hit and run". There have been reported incidents involving cyclists and large vehicles where the driver was unaware of a collision. That is part of the reason I issued instructions not to speculate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Very sad news.
    2nd hit & run in Kerry in the past 12 months.

Beasty wrote: »
    We do not know the circumstances of this incident. "Hit and run" does not automatically mean "knowingly hit and run". There have been reported incidents involving cyclists and large vehicles where the driver was unaware of a collision. That is part of the reason I issued instructions not to speculate

Not coming against your post but in all fairness I think you'd know if you hit a cyclist, you would have a major dint on your car, that should be another give away.

teednab-el wrote: »
    Not coming against your post but in all fairness I think you'd know if you hit a cyclist, you would have a major dint on your car, that should be another give away.
    I was referring to large vehicles such as busses and lorries.

Regardles, this is not a topic to be discussed in this thread - please keep it to condolances

• Advertisement

I was referring to large vehicles such as busses and lorries.

Regardles, this is not a topic to be discussed in this thread - please keep it to condolances

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Zippe

RIP,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Condolences to his family and friends.

(Makes you appreciate how vulnerable we are out there, take care folks).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

There is no way a driver cannot be aware of whats going on on his inside line, all trucks that go through very stringent HGV testing MUST be fitted with wide view mirrors and the blind spot on these are covered by a downfacing mirror plus the fact when your over taking you must give a minimum of 1.5m space to other road users and I drive a large HGV so i know what its like, most of these unaware accidents you mention are city related, this was a very minor back road on the Cork Kerry border early on a Sunday morning.
    Again condolences to the family.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No point in having 2 running threads on this

Please see here

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement