Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys attacking cyclists in Dublin!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

kincsem wrote: »
    That make, model, colour, and number plate would be miracle coincidence.
    Anyway I've remembered the details.

If you were cloning a plate then you'd deliberately match the make, colour, model and year, although the false name suggests that might not apply here.

I'm glad you're okay, OP. That sort of thing is frightening and frustrating as well as dangerous. I've never experienced it myself (touch wood, etc.) - the nearest I've got is having stones thrown at me from Labre Park on the Kylemore Road in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Years ago I had a firework thrown under my wheel near portrane. Luckily, no damage was caused but my heart skipped a beat!

It went off under my wheel :P

A mate of mine was shoved off his bike somewhere along the N81 a couple of years ago. Thread on this forum somewhere about it. I've had my arse slapped coming back from a race near Balbriggan once. Gave me a fright. Whoever it was drove real close and from the passenger side someone whacked the back of me and then went up and clocked the helmet also. I reckon it hurt his arm more.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Spokes of Glory

To others cycling in the area beware of these c**nts. Or if it's happened to you give tallaght gardai a ring. They were very pleasant etc but said they likely wouldn't catch them. Car registered to a fake name.

Don't want to turn this into an anti-gardai thread, but really.....would this not peak their interest straight away ?? Surely that's some kind of red flag.

Spokes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

THis is probably the same shower of scroats who whipped my back with a belt buckle a while ago on the Featherbeds Road. Shortly after it happened I saw what I thought was the same car coming back towards me and I really did fear for my safety. The only weapon I had was my drink bottle which I was just about to throw at the windscreen when I realised it wasnt the same car !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Don't want to turn this into an anti-gardai thread, but really.....would this not peak their interest straight away ?? Surely that's some kind of red flag.

Spokes

Of course it's interesting, but how does that change anything at the time of it being reported? Are they supposed to run to the fake address looking for the fake owner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

oflahero wrote: »
    Gotta watch out for it too on Stocking Lane in the evenings. Attempted push from the passenger seat three nights ago, hooned off too fast to get the reg. If you feel a car hovering on your back wheel a bit too close for a bit too long, it's a warning.

I'm on that road some evenings. Haven't seen this happen myself but I'm slowly turning green reading your post and the OP's.

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Beasty wrote: »
    I've removed all identifying references to the motor vehicle. If the guards decide to publicise it, then it's OK to to post details (please provide a link though). However for all we know there could be someone perfectly innocently driving round in a vehicle with that particular number plate who could be wrongly accused because someone else has fake plates with the same number

Thanks

Beasty
    There is no one driving around with that same Plate No as the vehicle involved in this serious incident, as when checked on Pulse system by the Gardai it came back as a fake plate as outlined by OP, well thats how I read it. These scrotes are driving around with fake plates and I think it needs to be made available here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

greenmat wrote: »
    Thats terrible, hope they run that car over a cliff with themselfs in it, b**tards. I'd push this harder with the Gardai, they need to nab these cnuts.

Id agree with that. Buried 6 foot under is the only place for them and the likes of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

They were very pleasant etc but said they likely wouldn't catch them. Car registered to a fake name.

There should be gards on every street corner in ireland on the beat just simply walking and observing,or in their patrol cars,in order to catch the crime they should do the time on the streets and be there if it happens..

No point coming after the event has occured and perpetrators have long gone..

They need to increase garda numbers also,which hasnt been happening lately.

The recruitment freeze on the gardai has done nothing to help the situation..

Also there are plenty of able bodied gards filing papers and such spending all day in the office when they should be out in their patrol cars,they should hire clerks for that job freeing up more garda numbers..

The whole system is shambolic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Beasty wrote: »
    I've removed all identifying references to the motor vehicle.

Thanks

Beasty

....apart from post no. 17 and no. 19. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

route66 wrote: »
    I'm on that road some evenings. Haven't seen this happen myself but I'm slowly turning green reading your post and the OP's.

FFS

me too, has me fairly worried about my twice weekly midweek spins up there

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

sorry to hear about this, unfortunately its not the first time i've heard of this happening. i wouldn't let the scum put you off stocking lane tho...

slightly of topic but i misread this thread title and thought for a moment that pride parade today had taken an unusual turn!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Time to get one of those cheap helmet cameras.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,357 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

greenmat wrote: »
    There is no one driving around with that same Plate No as the vehicle involved in this serious incident, as when checked on Pulse system by the Gardai it came back as a fake plate as outlined by OP, well thats how I read it. These scrotes are driving around with fake plates and I think it needs to be made available here.
    Boards rules do not permit this. As I stated previously, if the Gardai release this information (or indeed it comes into the public domain from another source), then a link can be provided. This is no different from the "photos of bike thieves" issue we had previously.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,357 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    ....apart from post no. 17 and no. 19. ;)
    Thanks

Now removed

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Weirdview

Was heading out towards Enniskerry the other evening, on the longish drag up to the hotel/ski club on the right.
    A big silver jeep came along side me, I didn't pay it any heed at first but suddenly a guy leaned out the back window and roared really loudly right behind my head!

Scared the sh1te out of me, the front wheel wobbled quite a bit but luckily I didn't fall. They just speeded off laughing and blowing the horn.

I didn't get the reg, but I cycled as fast as I could to Enniskerry thinking I might see the car parked somewhere but I never saw it again. (probably just as well!! No idea what I would have done against 3 lads on my own)

Obviously not as serious as the OP but be careful folks there's some right nut jobs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I find the best release for the pent-up frustration that follows being intimidated by car-borne hooligans is to smack a few pedestrians upside the head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

slightly different but a friend of mine was out on his horse and a Range Rover - Mitsubishi Evo and a Honda Civic went past him at approx 70 - 80mph beeping the horn. Luckily his Horse was not too phased but could have been nasty with a fatality. He only got the number of the Evo and found out where it was and sorted it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

I find the best release for the pent-up frustration that follows being intimidated by car-borne hooligans is to smack a few pedestrians upside the head.

Or getting really close to a mountain biker going up a hill and roaring in their ear and then pegging it off up the hill laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

THis is probably the same shower of scroats who whipped my back with a belt buckle a while ago on the Featherbeds Road. Shortly after it happened I saw what I thought was the same car coming back towards me and I really did fear for my safety. The only weapon I had was my drink bottle which I was just about to throw at the windscreen when I realised it wasnt the same car !
    <snip>

Mod note : dont promote violence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

teednab-el wrote: »
    <snip>
    And when 4 of them jump out of the car, you're standing there in your cleats.

With no d lock...

endacl wrote: »
    teednab-el wrote: »
    <snip>
    And when 4 of them jump out of the car, you're standing there in your cleats.

With no d lock...

Then detach your front wheel and .......yeah give it a spin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

route66 wrote: »
    oflahero wrote: »
    Gotta watch out for it too on Stocking Lane in the evenings. Attempted push from the passenger seat three nights ago, hooned off too fast to get the reg. If you feel a car hovering on your back wheel a bit too close for a bit too long, it's a warning.

FFS

I should clarify that that was probably only the second or third time in over six years of tootling around the area. No need to desert the Dublin mountains just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Slam on the anchors if you feel at risk. Better then getting pushed off the bike at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 2wheelsgood

Struggling up Slieve Mann today..small grey car went passed and passenger threw a full apple at me!....f*ckers!

Luckily they missed but that's the last thing you need on that climb!

Struggling up Slieve Mann today..small grey car went passed and passenger threw a full apple at me!....f*ckers!

This is unbelievable. How people can do such things is beyond me. It would be the last thing one would be expecting an apple hitting a cyclist. I've hit the road a lot over the past few weeks with the bike and im very green to all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Serves you right for cycling up there at midnight!:rolleyes:

Seriously though, some dodgy stuff happening in the hills some evenings by the sound of things. I've been lucky in that over the past couple of years the worst I can remember is a couple of cars passing me too close and people shouting at me. Sounds like the best advice is just to brake and let them past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

It seems to be catching on .. A 04 UK reg dark blue Avensis with a few scumbags is doing the rounds here in Galway. Ive got pushed as well... ! Close enough to give me a fright but not enough to put me off

The car was then stopped at the new lights at Tuam road ! When they seen me barrelling down the road at 30mph + they broke the red light to get away.....

Flamin cowards ! I mean theres no way I was going to confront them anyway

Lets be careful out there fellas - whatever you do dont tackle these toerags as you never know they could be drunk or high and things could escalate

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

I got a belt of something out the window of a car on Annesley Bridge in Fairview last year, bout 10PM. Dark grey hatchback I think, they swerved a couple of times in front of me and then sped off through the lights. I grabbed two handfuls of brake and pulled in, tears in my eyes with the fright of it.

Gards couldn't do much, considering my info was pretty sketchy.

I wish these f*cktards would cop on and realise how dangerous this is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Well, this conversation has lead me to definitely put my camera back on my bike. I can't help but think that it would make this sort of this much easier to report.

Advertisement