Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Debs/Grad related :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I have 2 dresses, going to 2 debs. One was €55 and the other was €46 I think. I got them in tk maxx, the cheaper one was reduced from about 80 or 90 euro, I think that's because it was sized weirdly, it says it's an American size 0 but in reality it seemed about 2 sizes too big for me so I had to have it taken in a lot. My shoes cost more than either dress haha. I think I did very well with the dresses, if I'd gone somewhere else I'd probably have paid more for one dress than I did for the two.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Friend of mine (female) swears by Asos for dresses.

(Yes, Patchy, a friend ... no, I do not buy or wear dresses ... go stick your head up your Asos! :p)
    imelle wrote: »
    looked at the tracking postage for my dress. it took 1 day to get from china to germany to france to dublin, and it's been stuck in kilkenny since last tuesday -_-
    0_o

I'm not really believing the speed of the first part, or the slowness of the second. And why Kilkenny? ... not even a main sorting office there any more as far as I know, for about the last 6-7 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

My dress was only 75, reduced from about 140 in Debenhams! Shoes cost a lot more - about 100, but they're something I'll wear again so I'd rather spend more on them. Bought a clutch for 20 in River Island and jewellery for 20 in Topshop. Make-up is costing me 40 in Mac, but I get 40euro worth of products back so not too shabby! Not sure how much hair and tan will cost me but overall my entire night will end up a lot cheaper than other girls in my year who are forking out over 300 for a dress they'll only wear once!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I can't find a dress cheap and suitable.. aaah, second hand one would do!! Besides done deal any other cheap sites guys??
    Missguided.co.uk have cheaper maxi dresses which would be ok. They're all around £50. http://www.missguided.co.uk/dresses/maxi-dresses

Adverts.ie has debs dresses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

My dress was 165, including customs and cost 30 to be altered. I hope to wear it to college balls and then get it shortened. Shoes cost 45 and will definately wear them again!! :) Haven't got a clutch yet.. Hair will be about 30 I imagine, tan and make up and nails will collectively be 60 so I don't think thats too bad?
    PS, are you all wearing heels or flats?

• Advertisement

ConTheCat wrote: »
    My dress was 165, including customs and cost 30 to be altered. I hope to wear it to college balls and then get it shortened. Shoes cost 45 and will definately wear them again!! :) Haven't got a clutch yet.. Hair will be about 30 I imagine, tan and make up and nails will collectively be 60 so I don't think thats too bad?

heels, I don't want to be like a foot shorter than everyone else :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

my heels are 5 inches. last year i switched to flats. i had a white dress and it got absolutely destroyed at the bottom cos it was too long. the cleaners tried cleaning it 4 times and couldn't get it clean so i'm not going to destroy another dress this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nowhere94

Heels for my debs cause my dress was so long, had to get it taken up quite a bit, was about 40 euro to get it take up and in and a few other small adjustments :) They're only about 3inches though :P
    I've gladiator flats for the grads though.. they fit in my clutch so i'll prob be bringing them along to my debs aswell :o

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I wore heels. They weren't that high, but my feet were still killing me by the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SKerins

My debs are coming up and I fell in love with this dress but I dont thrust the site. Anyone know where I can find it or one similar???? http://www.ramiu.com/special-occasion-dresses/prom-dresses/elegant-a-line-chiffon-evening-gown.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I'm wearing flats..slightly raised but they're flat. Black to go with the suit and all :L okay joker time over.

Hey guys this may sound stupid but what actually happens on the night. Like pictures, drink, meal, chats, drink, dancing, drink, little more at time ;), drink, drink, vomit, crying. That basically it or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

TheComeUp wrote: »
    I'm wearing flats..slightly raised but they're flat. Black to go with the suit and all :L okay joker time over.

Hey guys this may sound stupid but what actually happens on the night. Like pictures, drink, meal, chats, drink, dancing, drink, little more at time ;), drink, drink, vomit, crying. That basically it or what?

Basically, I know in my school people like going to McDonalds (classy right?) or bowling and some other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Luno wrote: »
    Basically, I know in my school people like going to McDonalds (classy right?) or bowling and some other stuff.

Yeah think you're right. Usually continues in some way if people are up for it, obviously in smaller groups. Bowling sounds like a good option haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Looking back at my debs, all i can say is, what a load of balls! worse than a gyppo wedding imho, cringe factor 11

Stuck Cone wrote: »
    Looking back at my debs, all i can say is, what a load of balls! worse than a gyppo wedding imho, cringe factor 11

I don't doubt it.
    Well I hoping to say it was a good night at the end of it, but if it wasn't such a once off occasion, there's no way in hell I'd spent such a gross amount of money on one single night which promises to be hazy, cringe-filled and spent with people some of whom I greatly dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

I'm going to 2 debs and went to 1 last year.. god they are so stressful for girls!

I have a black dress for the other debs i'm going to and that was 85 reduced from 160 so I did well!

I have a white dress for mine which was 325, so extremely pricey!

I have yet to get anything else.. and i'm pretty tall so i'm wearing flats to the other debs i'm going to because otherwise i'll be taller.. and heels to my own bc i'm bringing a tall date!!

these two debs are two days apart so i'll be WRECKED

TheComeUp wrote: »

em well you get ready, then go over to your dates house or they come over to yours and the mammies rot on and take a few photos.
    then what i'm doing is hitting the local pub with a small group so we show up at the hotel hammered :P classy as ever.
    em then there's the newspaper people taking photos and the professional photographer.
    at a debs i was at last year there was a champagne reception so if you have one drink as much free champagne and strawberries as possible, then you kinda wait around talking to people.
    if there's set seats then ya can probably head in whenever but if there isn't you'll probably be rushing in to get a table with your friends :L
    em then food, nom nom nom, and if your school give shot glasses, you have to do shots of vegetable soup.
    just drinking and eating, then the head girl/boy will probably have some cringeworthy speech and then the band will usually start and it's all drinking, dancing, shifting, vomitting, rotting, abusing, falling over, laughing, girls crying, people passing out in the corners from there :D
    then around 2 o clock we're getting breakfast rolls and being kicked out of the hotel so then we're either going to tesco (make use of the whole 24 hour thing) or if someone has sound parents AFTER PARTY :D which will mean sneaky naggins and will result in our eventual hospitalization...
    some people just go home straight after too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lauz94

Anybody have any good suggestions for fake tans? :/ my debs is next week and want to have a natural looking tan which will not wash right off if it rains etc..anybody know any good instant tans that would fit the description..have really really pale skin and only want something light ..was thinking of getting a spray tan but a little aprehensive after seeing pictures of people last year looking like extras from jersey shore :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

lauz94 wrote: »
    Anybody have any good suggestions for fake tans? :/ my debs is next week and want to have a natural looking tan which will not wash right off if it rains etc..anybody know any good instant tans that would fit the description..have really really pale skin and only want something light ..was thinking of getting a spray tan but a little aprehensive after seeing pictures of people last year looking like extras from jersey shore :/

Less is more. :cool:

Step one. Pick a sunny day.
    Step two. Go outside and get yourself a natural tan.

Fake tans sometimes look too fake if you get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

If you want something very light I'd probably go for one of the Dove gradual tanning things. They're pretty light and in fairness if you're not lobbing it on it'll give you a bit of colour that looks natural. Sally Hansen's lightest shade is pretty good too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

imelle wrote: »
    em well you get ready, then go over to your dates house or they come over to yours and the mammies rot on and take a few photos.
    then what i'm doing is hitting the local pub with a small group so we show up at the hotel hammered :P classy as ever.
    em then there's the newspaper people taking photos and the professional photographer.
    at a debs i was at last year there was a champagne reception so if you have one drink as much free champagne and strawberries as possible, then you kinda wait around talking to people.
    if there's set seats then ya can probably head in whenever but if there isn't you'll probably be rushing in to get a table with your friends :L
    em then food, nom nom nom, and if your school give shot glasses, you have to do shots of vegetable soup.
    just drinking and eating, then the head girl/boy will probably have some cringeworthy speech and then the band will usually start and it's all drinking, dancing, shifting, vomitting, rotting, abusing, falling over, laughing, girls crying, people passing out in the corners from there :D
    then around 2 o clock we're getting breakfast rolls and being kicked out of the hotel so then we're either going to tesco (make use of the whole 24 hour thing) or if someone has sound parents AFTER PARTY :D which will mean sneaky naggins and will result in our eventual hospitalization...
    some people just go home straight after too :)
    Pretty good description, But breakfast at 2? ours is at like 5.30 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

I got Sally Hansen today, the light one because I'm really pale too, it's one of the more natural looking tans I've seen by far. The Dove gradual tan is useless imo, it just came out all patchy for me

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Instant tan washes off in the rain and looks bad anyway. Self tan is the one that stays on for a week.

This one is really good for pale skin http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/EndecaSearchListerView?storeId=10052&searchTerm=10138195.P&ta=1&typeAhead=true&langId=-1&catalogId=11051#container the colour is nice.

If you want it to be light do one layer the night before. Use a mitt though.
    Eathrin wrote: »
    Step one. Pick a sunny day.
    Step two. Go outside and get yourself a natural tan.

Fake tans sometimes look too fake if you get me.

Not really a good idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nowhere94

Remember to exfoliate ad moisturise for a few days before you apply! i'm really pale to but am getting a spray tan, i got a trial at the start of summer :P it was nice after 2 washes so i'm getting it a couple days before (:
    I really like dove but you have to apply it well, i found sally hanson great for legs but alot of transfer on my body- make sure you use the waterproof version!

My mom was trying to convince me to use fake tan but nope, I like being deathly pale. :) Soooo my debs was pretty good, except it ended at like half 1 and that was ridiculously early.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Tan is disgusting, good choice. :P Haha so did you and thecomeup end up at the same debs then?

one of my friends uses the Pennys fake tan. it almost has a green tinge off it so word of advice don't get the pennys tan!
    tanorganic is probably one of the best but it's like €30 a bottle and it prob will come out fairly dark. if you want something like and natural i'd just get the dove moisturiser ones but they do have a strong smell, everyone will know you're wearing it...

Life is better with a tan though :L

just having na lolanna here though. . it suits some people, doesn't suit others, some people feel they need it if they have a white or pale dress, some people just like the orange glow, personally when i wear fake tan i feel Spanish...

• Advertisement

pajero12 wrote: »
    Pretty good description, But breakfast at 2? ours is at like 5.30 :D

half 5 :O feck sake ours end so much earlier :/ haa the hotels must know we'd get to rowdy, you could say we would be rí-rá-ing agus ruaile-buaile-ing too much so they kick us out. sad but true.

Advertisement