Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭wannabe2010

I think he said that this was about 2 weeks ago though... surely they wouldn't be setting up just yet?? cuz by time they open and close applications, that's normally a month... :S weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

I think he said that this was about 2 weeks ago though... surely they wouldn't be setting up just yet?? cuz by time they open and close applications, that's normally a month... :S weird
    It is a bit weird. The papers on Friday might be interesting.

Thing is if exams were close I would expect to have heard from my very good source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

It could be for transferees though, a lot of those transferring over are at this moment of time coming over here for whatever needs to be done within the transferring process, a close family friends son is transferring over from the Met, and is heading to Garnerville for something this week or next, from what I was told. It is possible it is for new blooded recruits and it would be awesome that this month they announced recruitment, I just have a feeling that they have their plates full at this moment in time, with the world police and fire games happening, g8, the parades season and the fact that there seems to be bombs found everywhere now, really hope they announce recruitment sooner than later, they're gonna have to, due to low numbers and with everything else that's happening, its a pretty mental time within the psni, i know that the psni are currently reviewing the recruitment process and I'm pretty sure they are also looking at the salaries i.e. following England and Wales steps, whether or not that will happen I don't know, but if it means saving money I would not be at all surprised.

I did think it could be for transfers, but then I thought they would have done all that in hotel G.

That's where it is being done, at Garnerville. I thought that's where Wannabe was talking about? is it not? if not then bring on recruitment for the new bloods haha!

• Advertisement

That's where it is being done, at Garnerville. I thought that's where Wannabe was talking about? is it not? if not then bring on recruitment for the new bloods haha!
    No he will be talking about a hotel I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Ive just got butterflies and started feeling nervous. Fingers crossed this is it all beginning!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Ive just got butterflies and started feeling nervous. Fingers crossed this is it all beginning!!!!!

Feeling the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

It would seem odd to prepare so early. This year's campaign hasn't even been formally announced, so to begin setting up now would seem pretty premature.

Don't want to get my hopes up.

Several family sources always said keep an ear open from March onward, and they would keep me up to date of progress. The only thing I could think of is that preparation is being done now as we speak, which could mean an announcement soon, like a few weeks soon, maybe its wishful thinking on my part, but for definite definite! One of my family members was a previous trainer and has recently went back to Garnerville and Steeple for retraining for recruit training, and I was told Garnerville is to undergo minor renovations to bring it up to standard for residential training.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,757 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

UPDATE - someone I know who works at a certain location said that desks were being set up etc.. he asked what they were for.. and the people replied "for Police recruitment exams"!!??

You won't like this:

PSNI Constables have to sit exams at various stages of their Probation. As you can see from the Freedom of Information response, you can see that Garnerville is used for those still in their Probation, for those who have transferred in from GB, and for other training which I cannot mention here.

There would be no reason to set the desks up for an intake because you only spend your academic learning time in either the classroom or the lecture theatre.

Let the hating begin... NOW!

I think we need clarification on whether the desks were set up in a hotel or garnerville

Shield wrote: »
    You won't like this:

PSNI Constables have to sit exams at various stages of their Probation. As you can see from the Freedom of Information response, you can see that Garnerville is used for those still in their Probation, for those who have transferred in from GB, and for other training which I cannot mention here.

There would be no reason to set the desks up for an intake because you only spend your academic learning time in either the classroom or the lecture theatre.

Let the hating begin... NOW!

Good point, I never even thought of that lol, damn!!! thats my bubble well and truly burst haha!

* she :P

No, a university.

But yes.. it could very well be for transferees I suppose :( damn

It will happen soon folks just a matter of time (wishing really hard! lol) when it does this place will be a buzz!

A decent source told me next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kitchensink

Goonerdee wrote: »

I was told it would be going live March/ April time. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,757 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Ya know, I'd like to think of myself as a decent source, but I've come to the conclusion that nobody knows what's going to happen, and that includes the people who sign off on these things.

I mean, did anybody catch yesterday's article in the Belfast Telegraph letting us know that all bids to build the place all came in over budget, and this will now delay the building of the new facility even further.

The knock-on effect is, and this is just my personal guess, that Matt Baggott will have to approve a new Recruitment Campaign and the Student Officers will be taught in Garnerville because as people resign for another job, or retire, etc., those places will have to be back-filled somehow.

This will go against what was set in stone, and that was that there would not be a new batch of Student Officers in Garnerville, and that the next S/Os would be taught in the new Desertcreat facility. By the looks of things, what was an absolute certainty that I was happy to lend my name to on this forum, now looks like the powers that be will be forced to do a 180 on what was the intention, and will be forced to recruit new Student Officers who will suffer the dated, inadequate and cramped enjoy the historic, challenging and cosy surroundings of the Garnerville teaching and accommodation facilities.

I'm not saying that your decent source isn't reliable, but when the main man himself may have to revise what he initially said a year or so ago, that trickles down eventually to your decent source, and either makes a liar out of them or you, whereas the truth is that things change week by week in this job, and I'm growing ever more reluctant to put my name to what is or isn't the case regarding a new intake.

I can only imagine that you guys who have everything done and were waiting on the 'the call' are outraged at the current state of affairs, and who'd blame you? I can only hope that one day you guys and girls who have waited so long, and who have proved that you have what it takes will get to fulfil your goal of becoming my colleague some day.

Ya know, I'd like to think of myself as a decent source, but I've come to the conclusion that nobody knows what's going to happen, and that includes the people who sign off on these things.

I mean, did anybody catch yesterday's article in the Belfast Telegraph letting us know that all bids to build the place all came in over budget, and this will now delay the building of the new facility even further.

The knock-on effect is, and this is just my personal guess, that Matt Baggott will have to approve a new Recruitment Campaign and the Student Officers will be taught in Garnerville because as people resign for another job, or retire, etc., those places will have to be back-filled somehow.

This will go against what was set in stone, and that was that there would not be a new batch of Student Officers in Garnerville, and that the next S/Os would be taught in the new Desertcreat facility. By the looks of things, what was an absolute certainty that I was happy to lend my name to on this forum, now looks like the powers that be will be forced to do a 180 on what was the intention, and will be forced to recruit new Student Officers who will suffer the dated, inadequate and cramped enjoy the historic, challenging and cosy surroundings of the Garnerville teaching and accommodation facilities.

I'm not saying that your decent source isn't reliable, but when the main man himself may have to revise what he initially said a year or so ago, that trickles down eventually to your decent source, and either makes a liar out of them or you, whereas the truth is that things change week by week in this job, and I'm growing ever more reluctant to put my name to what is or isn't the case regarding a new intake.

I can only imagine that you guys who have everything done and were waiting on the 'the call' are outraged at the current state of affairs, and who'd blame you? I can only hope that one day you guys and girls who have waited so long, and who have proved that you have what it takes will get to fulfil your goal of becoming my colleague some day.

I regard you as a decent source shield. :)

There is part of me hoping that the one who told me next month is true, the waiting is killing me and I want the ball to start rolling for all us hopefuls.

Then there is the 'but'. But the little devil at the back of my head keeps reminding me that the PSNI's emergency budget runs out next April and that they will have to look at how their regular budget is spent after that.

• Advertisement

Yeah agreed.. I guess we're all just desperate for a little bit of hope lol.. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say, I'm sick to death of my sh***y job and am desperate for my dream vocation to start... just fishin in the dark really.. this board is like a little piece of solace lol, makes you feel that there is some degree of chance and hope in recruitment starting.. I'm hoping it'll be April, start of financial year... but usually they would start to recruit in either Feb/March or September.. so I dunno.. just have to wait and seeeeeeeee

I can only imagine that you guys who have everything done and were waiting on the 'the call' are outraged at the current state of affairs, and who'd blame you?

Devastated and heartbroken. Just about sums it up. So close but yet so far.

I'm gonna try and be discrete about this but at the same time informative lol, I was at a recent boxing event the other night at new forge, one very senior officer was in attendance and they weren't speaking directly with me about this but to my father, and they said latter 2013, preferably September, and a substantial amount will be recruited, Garnerville is getting done up a bit too for that reason, and recruits will start training in 2014 being trained and ready by the latest summer 2014, also what is wanted is people who will stay for the long haul apparently too many are leaving within the first four years of service, they want working class folk which they will get the max number of years out of each recruit. This is what I heard with my own ears so this isn't a "source" so whether or not this happens in that time frame or not i do not know, but again this is what i heard with my own ears...

That sounds like good bit of info.

The bit about wanting working class folk is interesting. How can they target that group? What do they class as working class? I would guess the bar in terms of qualifications won't be set too high.

I think that's what was meant yeah, qualifications wont be high, i think many had a mentality of i have a degree i want in, and those were the ones who would leave after most of their debt is paid off, there is a lot more jobs out there that will pay the same or more for a fraction of the stress and crap that comes with being a cop here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

I forgot that you have to pay big £'s to study in the UK, that's crap! I hope the current educational requirement wont be lowered as i can't see that bringing anything positive to the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I would imagine that the only way to determine if someone was actually interested in the long haul would be through some intensive interviews. As with any normal company the question of why an applicant is applying for a job is considered to be an important question to ask, as it usually gives the employer an idea of how committed he or she is likely to be.

I don't believe that this question is ever asked in person during the entire application process, which is kind of surprising.

Also, in regards to actual qualifications, have there ever been any specific requirements asked for by the PSNI either overtly or covertly, or are all applicants just judged solely on their performances in the aptitude tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rasmac1

This may be a completely unrelated issue and perhaps I am totally wrong, but do you think that the recent protests and riots and dissident republican threats have distracted the PSNI from recruitment? Especially with the huge amount of money its costing to police the protests (don't have the exact figures to hand but last I heard it was well into the millions) I'm just suggesting that it could be an issue, but I may be narrowminded in thinking like that.

Also, with regards to qualifications and wanting to recruit working class folk... I'm studying law at university in england, basically I've been wanting into the police since I left school but obviously they weren't recruiting and I choose to go to university instead (of course my parents pushed for me to choose the uni option!) If I were to pass all the fitness and aptitude tests would I be less favourable than someone with no degree and barely any gcses who also passes the same fitness and aptitude tests? Also considering I'm female and protestant. I am from a working class area though.

Just a few thoughts, maybe someone has an answer since the psni are being pretty vague about the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

There is no way the PSNI are going to turn someone away for being over qualified so dont quit the law degree just yet!- I suspect that the officer simply meant there wouldn't be any criteria such as a degree.

• Advertisement

There won't be any recruitment as of this moment because of what is going on, they currently have 7000 officers, which has to deal with the police and fire world games, the parades season as well as the G8 summit, and with all that is going in with the continued threat the main focus Isn't going to be recruitment yet but like I said after the summer apparently the main focus is going to be that, and don't over think the qualification requirement nobody is going to be turned away because of a degree, I finished mine there in the summer due to there was nothing else to do with no recruitment and to please parents as such, policing is all about representing the community they serve I think that's what was meant by working class, more your background as such.

I can tell you this I think we're gonna see one of the biggest campaigns since the PSNI was formed, due to natural wastage you could see the service decreasing in size by potentially over 1000 officers, Patton states that now there would be 7500 officers and a peaceful Northern Ireland, obviously that is not the case, this is the worse threat level since 1998, and a critical threat level in NI is different from other parts of the UK, truth is at 7000 that is not enough officers to deal with the threat, and deal with everyday policing and with a good whack retiring within the year you could easily see a big recruitment happening.

Advertisement