Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Shred

Well I mostly don't bother with 3D unless someone recommends it. Avatar, Dredd and Pacific Rim being 3 flicks I can think of where it did add to the experience. But then there was the first Hobbit which combined with HFR made it pretty distracting, the recent Apes flick for which 3D was completely pointless and several others where it was useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy/32253/guardians-of-the-galaxy-dvd-blu-ray-release-date-confirmed
    ames Gunn has confirmed on his Twitter page that Guardians Of The Galaxy will arrive on Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, Steelbook and DVD from December 9th in the US. We'd imagine that's going to equate to a December 8th release in the UK, although that hasn't as yet been confirmed.

I feel like thats sooner than Captain America 2 came out, but whatever, I was wary it wouldn't make it for christmas at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

If anything could make me go out and buy a PS4 and a copy of Destiny, this is it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ya know this thing could STILL be in the cinema when the DVD comes out.

hell of a run on the big screen so far.

:D

• Advertisement

Also comes with a 'sneak' look at Avengers AOU :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Can't wait to see this again on Blu Ray release

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I enjoyed this but X-Men Days of Future Past was way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Whoa, Ok I'm gonna let you finish but Guardians of the Galaxy was way better. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

have seen this 6times so far, really hoping tis still out another week or so though as really wanting to see it again :o:D

Cat wait for the dvd release though, if i havent got it/cant afford it when it comes out its going on my xmas list! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭colmufc

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    have seen this 6times so far, really hoping tis still out another week or so though as really wanting to see it again :o:D

Cat wait for the dvd release though, if i havent got it/cant afford it when it comes out its going on my xmas list! :)
    it's out on dvd and bluray December 9th in the USA so proably December 5th here its the movie of the year , xmen days of future past was only alright even compared to the xmen origins movie

November 21st for us (since stuff comes earlier in Ireland) :D
    I've seen it 15 times now so, had my fill at last, least till the blu ray comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

theres always something "not right" about the X-Men films to me.

i dont know what it is. i think it may be something to do with the score as while i loved Days of future past, first class came off as the more "Complete" film to me. that magneto theme just pissed all over the stuff that came before in X1 -3, and they left that out of DOFP.

its really difficult to explain. might be a tonal thing too as undoubtedly guardians is a hell of a lot more FUN of a film than xmen is meant to be what with the different themes.

if i ever do figure it out ill post it up :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think with it’s liberal use of time travel as a plot device, giant cast of fan favourite characters from different timelines, said characters’ deaths or developmental changes, and a few other elements, X-Men felt more like the kind of story you’d see in an actual comicbook than Guardians of the Galaxy did.

It revelled in the kind of world-shattering events that seem to define major points in comics, whereas the Marvel movie played it safe and just kept things to the standard bombastic third act that contains very little in the way of personal peril. The X-Men were often in immediate danger, the stakes were pretty well defined - Guardians kept to the standard Marvel playbook of a magical Mcguffin that must be stopped/captured/destroyed.

Guardians of the Galaxy was definitely more fun for me, I came out of the cinema having had a good time, and while X-Men was possibly a better constructed, more character driven film (it was, after all, a film about the character conflicts of 3 major people: Xavier, Magneto and Mystique), Guardians felt a little more memorable, and certainly more quotable. Apples and oranges though really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I think the important point is that they were both better than Spidey 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I think the important point is that they were both better than Spidey 2.

I took a piss that was better than Spidey 2.

To be fair, its not much of an effort to be better than amazing spider man 2 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

pixelburp wrote: »
    (it was, after all, a film about the character conflicts of 3 major people: Xavier, Magneto and Mystique)

I found this rather irritating, since the Sentinels did not in fact have Mystique's superpower. If anything, they had Rogue's.

But Jennifer Lawrence is box-office right now, so it had to be Mystique who was somehow important, even if it didn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There was a scene cut from the film where Magneto in the future goes to save Rogue. It's her power that the sentinels use to steal mutant powers, and Mystique's that they use to adapt to situations/enemies. Granted, that's still just an excuse so that Mystique would have a more central role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I found this rather irritating, since the Sentinels did not in fact have Mystique's superpower. If anything, they had Rogue's.

But Jennifer Lawrence is box-office right now, so it had to be Mystique who was somehow important, even if it didn't make any sense.

Would they not be more like Darwins than Rogues?
    He adapted to survive, which is essentially what the sentinels were doing, Rogue just absorbed the power of whoever she touched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I always thought that Darwin fitted the most with their powers but in some cases they were like Rogue, e.g. mimicking Colossus's power. Mystiques power doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, unless Trask felt the her cool morphing visual was a critical component of the Sentinels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Movie of the year for me, along with Edge of tomorrow. Such a feel good movie, still smile when I think about it or listen to the soundtrack

Blu ray is out next week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

cloud493 wrote: »

Out here before the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,780 ✭✭✭✭Basq

cloud493 wrote: »
    Yep, re-watched it there on Wednesday night and enjoyed it as much, if not more, this time around!

Definitely picking up the Blu-ray.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That feels like a remarkably quick turnaround for a home release, even if it's for a massively successful / popular summer film. I'm going to go ahead and guess that a 'special edition' with more extras & features will turn up in 2015 though...

4/5 months is roughly average isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,780 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, a Summer blockbuster being released for Christmas is about right..

.. if it wasn't a Marvel production, I wouldn't be so sure though.

I myself am gonna pick up one of these too.. released end of December.

126528.jpg.square-true_maxheight-285_size-285.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah, a Summer blockbuster being released for Christmas is about right..

.. if it wasn't a Marvel production, I wouldn't be so sure though.

I myself am gonna pick up one of these too.. released end of December.

126528.jpg.square-true_maxheight-285_size-285.jpg

I'm buying 10 of these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I have this on my dashboard. Nods approvingly when i drive fast

517Lo5E2uGL._SX300_.jpg

Advertisement