Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Who's the copper that Ryan said had a huge positive influence on him? Simon Banjeree? He hasn't been seen in the last few series. Will he come back into it? DCC Andrea Wise is a bit suspicious. As is Police Commissioner Rohan.

At this stage though, I think they should've revealed H (or all those who are H), and move on to another story line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The policeman whom Ryan said inspired him was actually a completely straight cop - really decent guy as I recall (although he's probably H :pac:). He just felt very bad for Ryan - a neglected, vulnerable kid living in chaos (his mother was vile). And told him to contact him any time he needed help. I think Ryan, despite exploiting that now, genuinely appreciated this at the time, and respected Banerjee. He was a little brat but there was a good reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

That's the last series of LoD for me

I can't even watch it for laughs anymore.

Do you think Dots dying twitches spelled out 'get a new hairdo, Kate' in Morse code?

Season three is on BBC4 now - it's a good deal better. It's running out of steam imo but I still love it.

Do you know what? I noticed that she was more glammed up this season but didn't pay any heed to it - don't think I'll be joining Ryan in Police School anytime soon....
    I dunno. On season three she's as glam - moreso I think.

That was when she tried to seduce Ted, and he nearly went there but then changed his mind out of guilt towards his wife (even though they were separated).

A woman scorned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I enjoyed it, bit of stretching done at the end but overall it's still a great show.
    Is Carmichael the remaining member? She still wanted to bury Hastings even after everything was revealed.

She is ruthless! An absolute weapon. Nasty nasty way about her. What a super actress! I'd say we haven't seen the last of her - or the overly eager officer she so brutally sent on her way following her error.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The interrogation of Ted was too long. There have been shorter ones in previous episodes much, much better. Dot's twitching fingers cold have been spasms. Disappointing really. Didn't see much of Arnott. Still don't know what's going on I have to say. Way short of the quality of previous episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah a lot of things don't add up...

How did Ted recognise Lisa?
    Is Lisa an undercover?
    What did he actually tell Lee Banks?
    Are those my feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

trashcan wrote: »
    That was put to him, and he said it was deliberate, as he'd noticed the misspelling by H. Charmicheal wasn't buying it.

So he did (so he did). I didn't buy it either, which is why I think I forgot it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Quality of previous series missing but it's still very good

Season three is on BBC4 now - it's a good deal better. It's running out of steam imo but I still love it.
    There's no comparison. Season 1 was excellent. Last night's show was like a parody of LoD. Twitching fingers on a dying man = 'H' is a code for 4 corrupt officers. As Ted would say ' Jesus Wept'. Steve and Kate aka Julian and George from the Famous Five.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I was a bit underwhelmed with this too. Season 3 still stands out as head and shoulders the best season for me, this one was greatly inferior. I remember the sheer tension of that series, being glued to the Dot Cotton interrogation scenes but the interrogation scenes here were lame and contrived in comparison. I didn’t enjoy Ted being painted as a bad guy for much of the season. I felt he lost his spark and we had a real lack of Ted-ism’s too (fella, now we’re suckin diesel, etc).

Stephen Graham was a standout but he was killed off 2 episodes ago.

I still enjoyed it though overall, but new fresher ideas are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I was a bit underwhelmed with this too. Season 3 still stands out as head and shoulders the best season for me, this one was greatly inferior. I remember the sheer tension of that series, being glued to the Dot Cotton interrogation scenes but the interrogation scenes here were lame and contrived in comparison. I didn’t enjoy Ted being painted as a bad guy for much of the season. I felt he lost his spark and we had a real lack of Ted-ism’s too (fella, now we’re suckin diesel, etc).

I still enjoyed it though overall, but new fresher ideas are needed.

I agree that new ideas are needed. I'd love to see a different direction for season 6. New bad guys. Then maybe a season 6 & 7 could be pulled off. But at this rate, if they continue with the H storyline, I think they'd have to finish the show next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭bobbyss

JoeA3 wrote:

He's an excellent actor. Why was he killed off so early. When he was gone lots of the energy and excitement went with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Talisman

My new theory is H works in the Policing College. It's the perfect way to identify potential recruits and get individuals from the wrong side of the tracks into the police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

How did Steve notice the twitching while looking at a still image?

8-10 wrote: »
    How did Steve notice the twitching while looking at a still image?
    My thoughts exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Gonna finish watching the shield.

When you finish that you should check out an old HBO show called The Wire, it's really, really good. You'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Disappointing for sure.. but it was always going to be.

Too much evidence and fingers pointed at Ted that if it wasn't him, it would be a near impossible task to credibly show it wasn't.

Still a great show.. lots of suspension of disbelief required.. but the first hour of tense interrogation was excellent with Anna Maxwell-Martin brilliant throughout (real change from her often goofy 'Motherland' character).

Long wait for season 6 now, especially with a second season of Bodyguard likely to come between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A let down IMO but at least I could see the let down coming. It suffers from other BBC series in that it takes itself too seriously and tries to be clever, Luther and Sherlock were the same.
    The reveal of who was behind the initial framing was pretty obvious, if only because the person behind the role is almost always a perennial villain.

Also how did Dot know about 4? Is the 4th, the new recruit or does he become the 5th and there's two remaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

razorblunt wrote: »
    if only because the person behind the role is almost always a perennial villain.

Almost always perennial?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    As Jill was setting him up, why did she save him revthe grounds for the search? Was it because she knew he had gotten away with 50k and didn’t want that to come up or was it she wanted to prevent it collapsing the case down the line.
    Biggeloe knew a judge would throw the case out and Hastings would be free. Due to the planted DNA evidence there was nothing to lose by pointing out that the money could not be used in evidence. By doing her job as a lawyer she was protecting her cover and cementing the case against Hastings though it wasn't apparent at the time.

Her ultimate goal was to remove/destroy Hastings and AC-12 - she had repeatedly given him the option to resign which he declined. Jimmy Lakewell explained in series 4 that if you don’t do what the OCG ask they produce a dead body with your DNA all over it.

The DNA evidence recovered by the forensic team was damning and could only be disputed if her role was uncovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Jed Mercurio has confirmed that Ted did in fact tip off Lee Banks about John being a rat, thus leading to John's death.

I have to say I loved Carmichael's character and hope that she's in the future series. Also it would be nice to see DI Michelle Brandyce join AC-12 just to add a bit of an edge to the relationships between the personnel in the team - enough of the 'mate' shiite.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Very, very minor thing but a part of a wider thing that tv shows still seem to do is rely on old methods (that would have been used as plot devices in shows decades ago) for simple things. Who leaves notes anymore ? "we're gone to the cinema" . Just txt her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Two biggest grievances.

Steve's otherworldly ability to interpret the morse code from a freeze frame.

The whole, oh there is no H. But there is a fourth person. Smacks of 'we never had an exit strategy on the H storyline but need to keep the story moving'.

Ill watch the hopefully last series as the story really needs to be in the endgame and although this series was likely the poorest, they're able to pull it out of the bag.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    How did Ted recognise Lisa?
    Is Lisa an undercover?
    AC12 identified her earlier on. I doubt she is undercover. She got immunity and witness protection, and now gives talks to kids vulnerable to being drawn into crime.

sirmanga wrote: »
    Jed Mercurio has confirmed that Ted did in fact tip off Lee Banks about John being a rat, thus leading to John's death.
    Weird. Lisa McQueen said she figured out John was a rat by herself. Why would she protect Hastings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

Effects wrote: »
    When you finish that you should check out an old HBO show called The Wire, it's really, really good. You'll love it.

Ah, now you're talking about the daddy of them all. It's almost unfair to compare other shows to it. It's so far ahead of the field. Mind you, even the Wire had a weaker last series, by its own magnificent standards.

This was without doubt the weakest LoD, but I'll still watch the next series.

Advertisement