Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Due to be paid on Monday, it has been a long 5 week month. :(

also my Mortgage is due out on Monday which is not with Ulster Bank. :mad:

and on top of all that all my wheelie bins got robbed yesterday :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Say they open till 7 naitionwide but no mention of when it will be resolved.
    If people goin on holiday over weekend and waiting for there holiday pay to go in it wouldnt be a nice situation, im goin on holiday in two weeks and would be goin mad if it this was happening.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0622/ulster-bank-branches-to-remain-open-late-to-deal-w.html

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭whats_happenin

Didn't get paid don't know when I will

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Expect serious **** to start this afternoon, if people don't get their money in time for the weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

I have a debit account which makes it impossible to get over drawn but then last week my account showed -€65 and a day later -€77.

Is this likely to be a mistake on the banks behalf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

This is causing a lot of stress in my house :(

I'm just hoping BOI will let me have a temporary overdraft. We have bills to pay and 4 kids to feed!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Who looks after their IT anyway? I assume they have contracted an IBM or a Dell to support their infrastructure?

A bank is one of a handful of things that just can't afford to fall over (Hospitals, Airports too!).

Absolute disaster for them and their brand.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I have a visa bill to pay.
    Our mortgage is due to be paid early next week.
    I just got paid via bank transfer and I'm flying to London in the morning for the weekend.
    I'm royally fuked if this isn't sorted asap. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭szjon

I have a debit account which makes it impossible to get over drawn but then last week my account showed -€65 and a day later -€77.

Yes, this problem started weeks ago, I told my branch manager about it, they are refusing to waive the charges I accrued. The more of us that point this out to them, the more likely we will get our money back.

I used a debit card, no overdraft and it allowed me to pay. This was due to my internet banking balance not updating so I thought I had funds. I first noticed this weeks ago. I have made a complaint through their helpdesk, perhaps if the two people I spoke to about this over a week ago had acted on it we wouldn't be in this epic kerfuffle now!

They just thought I was trying it on for the 4.40 charge. Idiots! I hope they get fired, they were warned, I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

szjon wrote: »

Yes, this problem started weeks ago, I told my branch manager about it, they are refusing to waive the charges I accrued. The more of us that point this out to them, the more likely we will get our money back.

I used a debit card, no overdraft and it allowed me to pay. This was due to my internet banking balance not updating so I thought I had funds. I first noticed this weeks ago. I have made a complaint through their helpdesk, perhaps if the two people I spoke to about this over a week ago had acted on it we wouldn't be in this epic kerfuffle now!

They just thought I was trying it on for the 4.40 charge. Idiots! I hope they get fired, they were warned, I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

That is such a relief to know it wasn't just me! I will get onto them straight away and report back with what they have to say.

Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

They should be open till midnight not 7 so people can access their cash

I expected their branches to be open early this morning so went by their O' Connell St branch at 08.50 - surprise surprise - all doors locked.

I rang them when I got in to work - can't take calls on this issue until 9.30am.

The message put out on Morning Ireland this morning was that everything was just 24 hours behind so those to be paid yesterday, would have it today. Alas, as the balances in online accounts show, it's not the case.

Their communications on this has been pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

I was due to be paid yesterday and the two payment are still not showing today, so much for just a days delay :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm not sure why keeping the branches open until 7 is a good idea.

If the processing of payments haven't been done, is there anything the staff in the branch can do? I did see on this thread if you bring ID with you and a payslip they will advance you the money but not everyone reads boards and UB are being tight lipped!

I am directly affected by this...*expletive*

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

touts wrote: »
    I'm not an Ulster Bank customer and thankfully neither is my employer so I got paid this week but this is shocking. You can be sure of a few things:
    The Financial Regulator will do **** all beyond issuing a strongly worded message of sympathy.
    The Government will do **** all unless it involves giving them taxpayers money for a multi-billion backup system.
    The board member responsible for IT will still get his/her bonus.
    The only people who will get sacked will be some bottom level tech admins.
    Ulster bank will see little reduction in number of customers in Ireland because where are you going to move to if the other banks won't allow you bring your credit card balance, car loans etc with you.

They will be picking up hourly fines from all the other banks, also since the IT problems originated with their parent RBS they will pick up fines from the UK regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

I work with the HSE and didn't get paid yesterday or today, presume it will be next week by the time anything happens now.

So my question is, UB have said that if you come in with ID and proof of wages they will give you the money but I assume this is only if you are an UB customer?? I am with AIB. Anyone help me with this?!??!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

GrumPy wrote: »
    Who looks after their IT anyway? I assume they have contracted an IBM or a Dell to support their infrastructure?

A bank is one of a handful of things that just can't afford to fall over (Hospitals, Airports too!).

Absolute disaster for them and their brand.

My understanding is its HP after they took over EDS.

Their is morale issues in the bank over this salary leak:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/anger-over-pay-for-rbs-contractors-2342929.html

I would say its the CIO making a low cost decision on outsourcing that has backfired really badly.

My guessing is it could be just one server effected however their was no image backup and they are all scratching around rebuilding it from scratch. I have seen this many times a server or switch has updates and settings loaded on it by journey men IT contractors throughout the years that are not documented until the system becomes a "black box" that no one understands and are afraid of, then it all goes tits up.

That what you get from outsourcing key systems.

My understanding is its HP after they took over EDS.

Their is morale issues in the bank over this salary leak:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/anger-over-pay-for-rbs-contractors-2342929.html

I would say its the CIO making a low cost decision on outsourcing that has backfired really badly.

My guessing is it could be just one server effected however their was no image backup and they are all scratching around rebuilding it from scratch. I have seen this many times a server or switch has updates and settings loaded on it by journey men IT contractors throughout the years that are not documented until the system becomes a "black box" that no one understands and are afraid of, then it all goes tits up.

That what you get from outsourcing key systems.

I suspect you're not far off the mark there. If they had appropriate backup, redundancy and failover, then nobody externally would even have noticed. All the tapes/discs with all the payments are there and ready to be updated, just seems that there's nowhere 'stable' for them to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

eigrod wrote: »
    The message put out on Morning Ireland this morning was that everything was just 24 hours behind so those to be paid yesterday, would have it today. Alas, as the balances in online accounts show, it's not the case.

There was an update on Morning Ireland just before 9 from IPSO who said they were told by UB this morning that payments are now two days behind.

Why UB couldn't issue this statement directly, or update their website is beyond me. Their lack of direct communication is what bugs me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

And they are bleating about having their branches open late and that you can go in with ID etc etc while ignoring the thousands who are not UB account holders but who have not gotten paid as a result of this "glitch".

I'm BOI and no wages for me this week :( BOI don't want to know and neither do UB. Limbo for those of us who are caught between two stools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

NuMarvel wrote: »
    There was an update on Morning Ireland just before 9 from IPSO who said they were told by UB this morning that payments are now two days behind.

Why UB couldn't issue this statement directly, or update their website is beyond me. Their lack of direct communication is what bugs me.

So does this mean payments which were due yesterday will not hit the account until Monday or will it go through tomorrow? :confused:

Their website updates are ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Insurgent wrote: »
    I'm not sure why keeping the branches open until 7 is a good idea?

I am directly affected by this...*expletive*

Because people like me wo work 9-5 will only be able to get to the bank after hours. My employer banks with ulster even though i don't so i haven't been paid.mhowever i have a savings account with ulster bank so will have to go and raid it to get me through until my pay finally arrives.

So does this mean payments which were due yesterday will not hit the account until Monday or will it go through tomorrow? :confused:

Their website updates are ridiculous

They are just buying time and fobbing off the customer. Tomorrow morning they'll say that it still isn't fixed and will be Monday before payments are through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

imagine if we left the euro and there was no cash in the banks..what would happen then, if one or 2 days chaos is causing a lot of problems for us now...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

Im up in a heap with this ****e, cant get into accounts to conduct normal transactions and nothing updated today. So thats it for the weekend :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭szjon

I noticed the petrol station was chaos this morning and turned back, I wonder how many people have full tanks they can't pay for. This could get nasty rather quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

ash23 wrote: »
    And they are bleating about having their branches open late and that you can go in with ID etc etc while ignoring the thousands who are not UB account holders but who have not gotten paid as a result of this "glitch".

I'm BOI and no wages for me this week :( BOI don't want to know and neither do UB. Limbo for those of us who are caught between two stools.

Do you mean that your employer is with UB?

If that's the case, then surely you should go to your employer (and get sorted out)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

My husbands salary is paid through UB, mortgage is due on Monday along with direct debits going elsewhere, just had to raid my credit union acc and waiting for A.I.B. to open to lodge. Over 600 staff where he works and a lot of people very worried. I know errors can occur but UB have been very poor in their public relations. Hope its sorted out asap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

eigrod wrote: »
    I expected their branches to be open early this morning so went by their O' Connell St branch at 08.50 - surprise surprise - all doors locked.

I rang them when I got in to work - can't take calls on this issue until 9.30am.

The bank opens at 9.30, it's hardly any surprise that all the doors are locked at 8.50.

I agree though that general communication regarding this issue is fairly shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

mel.b wrote: »
    Because people like me wo work 9-5 will only be able to get to the bank after hours. My employer banks with ulster even though i don't so i haven't been paid.mhowever i have a savings account with ulster bank so will have to go and raid it to get me through until my pay finally arrives.

That's fair enough, was talking to a couple of mates this morning whose employers also use UB who are in the same boat.

I'm a UB customer so I suppose I'll go in this evening with ID and payslip! Fooked otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement