Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Yeah apparently if you can bring proof that there was supposed to be money lodged the bank will give it to you, thats what I was told on the phone yesterday.

what if you are not ultser bank but your employer is :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

From the rest of the tread it seems that other banks are washing their hands and saying it's a UB fault, yes it is but IMHO it's not very helpful.

In short your stuck. Unless your bank will give you overdraft etc.

Any charges occurred will, via the UB statement be refunded. You will have to wait to see what the process is for that.

Its actually an RBS issue affecting UB. Service I am told used to be managed by HP but RBS took it back in house and not too long ago outsourced it to some one else.
    UB probably are not getting enough information about the problem from RBS hence the sh1te communication to customers.
    It better get fixed next week as I get paid monthly and all my bills, mortgage etc come out of my UB account at the end of next week!
    I have total sympathy with everyone who are up the creek. Make sure you print copies of your account balances as proof to make claims for refunds etc.
    From an IT perspective it really is poor management to have an incident going on this long and not have appropriate disaster recovery in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Then you're frigged :(

Seems that they will only help UB account holders and the other banks won't help their customers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The other banks, AIB, BoI etc should be comming out and supporting their own customers by offering free overdrafts etc for 7 days or something. Just a little goodwill to be offered to their customers.

Im an UB customer, but luckily, unaffected for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Cgoodie

I've just been to the UB branch in Trim thought there would be queues out the door but no one in the bank. I had my payslip which has a pay date of next monday on it and brought my ID and was able to get cash no problem. Was in and out in about 5 mins.

The cashier said that nothing has been updated since Tuesday, she didn't know when it would be fixed but said nothing was being paid in or out until it's fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭keystone

kceire wrote: »
    The other banks, AIB, BoI etc should be comming out and supporting their own customers by offering free overdrafts etc for 7 days or something. Just a little goodwill to be offered to their customers.
    QUOTE]

Exactly, that sort of public goodwill would go a long way to securing the highly probably exodus from UB.

We really have a f***ked up banking system on our fair island.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Surprised the ATMs are doling out cash from UB accounts still given that the available balances against which they must be checking must be 3 days out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It just shows how old fashioned printed statements are still very necessary.

Keep paper trails of everything and make sure your balances are correct when is is resolved!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I'm a UB customer, I noticed yesterday that since early this week I've had €7.50 or there abouts taken from my account everyday and twice yesterday even though I haven't purchased anything or gone to an atm.

Anybody else notice anything like this?
    It seems a little suspect and probably not in any way related to this mess but it'd be good to know as the Bank can't do anything until all the systems are back up and running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Ulster Bank have updated the FAQ on their website:
    My salary/benefit payment was due into my bank account. What should I do?
    If you are trying to access a salary or benefit payment and you cannot access your funds via an ATM, you may wish to visit a branch. To help you with this, 80 of our branches will be open until the extended time of 7pm today and 60 Saturday opening branches will open as usual this weekend. If visiting a branch, please bring your ID and payments details.

Why is my balance on my account not up to date?

The Bank encountered a problem with its technology system in RBS which affected systems in NatWest, RBS and Ulster Bank.

Have the transactions for Wednesday 20 June or Thursday 21 June been processed?

Many credits and debits to your accounts from Wednesday 20 June and Thursday 21 June are still being processed as a result of the technical issue. We are working our way through this backlog of payments as quickly as possible.

Can I see my balance on Anytime, Mobile Banking or on an ATM screen?

The balance on Anytime Internet and Mobile Banking and ATM screen will not be up to date as it may not reflect transactions due to be applied to your account from Wednesday 20 June onwards.

Will I be charged if my account is out of order?

If you've experienced any charges or loss of interest please contact us and we will refund you fully.

Where can I get more information?

We will be posting regular updates to our website throughout today to update you on our progress in resolving this issue.

The home page says this was updated at 9am this morning, but when I last checked at 10.30, it definitely wasn't there. EDIT: Though that might just be my browser...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Ulster Bank have updated the FAQ on their website:
    My salary/benefit payment was due into my bank account. What should I do?
    If you are trying to access a salary or benefit payment and you cannot access your funds via an ATM, you may wish to visit a branch. To help you with this, 80 of our branches will be open until the extended time of 7pm today and 60 Saturday opening branches will open as usual this weekend. If visiting a branch, please bring your ID and payments details.

Why is my balance on my account not up to date?

The Bank encountered a problem with its technology system in RBS which affected systems in NatWest, RBS and Ulster Bank.

Have the transactions for Wednesday 20 June or Thursday 21 June been processed?

Many credits and debits to your accounts from Wednesday 20 June and Thursday 21 June are still being processed as a result of the technical issue. We are working our way through this backlog of payments as quickly as possible.

Can I see my balance on Anytime, Mobile Banking or on an ATM screen?

The balance on Anytime Internet and Mobile Banking and ATM screen will not be up to date as it may not reflect transactions due to be applied to your account from Wednesday 20 June onwards.

Will I be charged if my account is out of order?

If you've experienced any charges or loss of interest please contact us and we will refund you fully.

Where can I get more information?

We will be posting regular updates to our website throughout today to update you on our progress in resolving this issue.

The home page says this was updated at 9am this morning, but when I last checked at 10.30, it definitely wasn't there.

It has, it's been there since just after 9. I've been checking like a demented woman. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Cgoodie wrote: »
    I've just been to the UB branch in Trim thought there would be queues out the door but no one in the bank. I had my payslip which has a pay date of next monday on it and brought my ID and was able to get cash no problem. Was in and out in about 5 mins.

The cashier said that nothing has been updated since Tuesday, she didn't know when it would be fixed but said nothing was being paid in or out until it's fixed.
    Similar experience to myself a few minutes ago in the Raheny branch. They couldn't swipe my card at all though, so asked for my a/c number. They didn't ask me for proof of pay going into my account today, which I thought odd, and there is obviously a withdrawal limit, although the girls behind the counter couldn't agree on how much it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭SSFG

I rang the local branch this morning, girl I spoke to was very apologetic (even though I wasn't giving out I just wanted to know if they could see my balance as when I log on it's the same since Weds). She said they can't see anything in the branch either, said they were hoping it would be sorted in the next few hours (but that could just be a line from UB).
    I just wanted to know if I could get my money out via ATM or debit cards and she said there shouldn't be a problem. Don't want to chance using the debit card and having it refused so I just went to the ATM and took money out to cover us for the next few days. Thought there would be alot of people around but not a sinner. I didn't go into the branch for my money I just used the ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

I Just Saw that this prob wont be fixed till next wk
    'Ulster Bank has now admitted that the problem, which is the biggest banking IT failure the country has ever seen, won't be fixed before the weekend'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

misslt wrote: »
    It has, it's been there since just after 9. I've been checking like a demented woman. :D

Really? My browser must be fubarred so, because it was definitely the old update when I checked at half ten.

Clearly this is something else to blame on Ulster Bank!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

My girlfriend reckons its a computer worm which would have started off in their systems a few weeks back, first showing up, like previously mentioned, as displaying account balances that were incorrect, the customer then uses the balance on their account and then a few days later there's a minus in your account, then gradually progressing on to this

Surely this is the banks mIstake, displaying incorrect balances unbeknownst to the customer?

Sounds a lot more like a simple database collapse to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Richard Epos

I Just Saw that this prob wont be fixed till next wk
    'Ulster Bank has now admitted that the problem, which is the biggest banking IT failure the country has ever seen, won't be fixed before the weekend'

I take it that going into a shop, purchasing something with my debit visa ulster bank card and asking for CASH BACK is out of the question???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I take it that going into a shop, purchasing something with my debit visa ulster bank card and asking for CASH BACK is out of the question???

Its hard to know. If you came into my place now and asked for cashback, I would give it if it was approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

heres the article

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ulster-bank-thousands-without-cash-as-bank-fails-to-fix-it-crash-3146374.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

"Ulsterbank IT Systems" is an anagram for "Rutty Assemble Stinks"

Its hard to know. If you came into my place now and asked for cashback, I would give it if it was approved.

I know theres Euros in the Account, So lets say, I purchase €15 worth of Beer, and ask for €50 cash back, will that work??, Only reason I ask is because I cant get any money from ATM machines...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I know theres Euros in the Account, So lets say, I purchase €15 worth of Beer, and ask for €50 cash back, will that work??, Only reason I ask is because I cant get any money from ATM machines...

If you can't get money from the machines then I'd assume your account balance on their system does not have funds in it. (Balance being wrong obviously) Therefore cashback won't work - and most likely the €15 of beer would not be approved either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Im not a UB customer im an AIB customer that has not got paid this morning, Does anyone habe an email address for UB CS dept? The sly rats seem to have taken this info from their website..

If you can't get money from the machines then I'd assume your account balance on their system does not have funds in it. (Balance being wrong obviously) Therefore cashback won't work - and most likely the €15 of beer would not be approved either.

Think I'll just stay away from ATM.s Banks, Atm Card etc etc untill this is all fixed. At least then I can say I havent used any method to make a payment from my account since last Sunday " 17th" incase they try and charge me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Just been told if you bring in your payslip into UB, the maximum you can take out is 500E. Fine for most people but still not good enough :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I'm afraid what happened was inevitable. Royal Bank Of Scotland closed down their IT in Parkgate Street three years ago, made all their Irish staff redundant, and moved all the work to Chennai in India. Management make these decisions to save money, but it never does. The staff in India are inexperienced and maverick

Just been told if you bring in your payslip into UB, the maximum you can take out is 500E. Fine for most people but still not good enough :mad:

SACK THAT !!!

As i said above
    Think I'll just stay away from ATM.s Banks, Atm Card etc etc untill this is all fixed. At least then I can say I havent used any method to make a payment from my account since last Sunday " 17th" incase they try and charge me (Edit) or i end up getting shafted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭Tow

There is an update on The Register:

Natwest, RBS: When will bank glitch be fixed? Probably not today
    Wish we hadn't fired all those techies now ...

On the fourth day of a IT systems choke-up that has left customers unable to access money and in some cases unable to buy food or travel, Natwest and RBS – which both belong to the RBS group – still have no idea when the issues will be fixed.

A spokesperson said the banking group had been working overnight to fix the problems but that there was no precise timeline available: "We're going for as fast as possible," the spokesbod quipped.

A statement released mid-morning seemed to rule out the possibility that it would be fixed by the end of today:

We are continuing to experience technical issues with our systems, which is impacting a large number of our customers. As a result, money credited to accounts overnight may not be appearing on balances today.

RBS Group - which also runs Ulsterbank - stressed that the glitch was a purely technical issue. The screw-up has been pinned down to a flaw with payment-processing software, and primarily means that bank balances don't register inbound payments.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

My understanding is that you can spend up to what you were allowed to spend as of Tuesday past as no transactions have been processed since then.
    In other words, if you had €1000 available between funds and overdraft facilty on Tuesday, then you still have that much available (can anyone clarify if cash withdrawals/lodgements are reflected in current balances (i'm loathe to write updated).

Also, someone else mentioned that this may have been a problem getting progressively worse over the past few weeks and imo balances have been looking a bit strange and eft's have been taking longer to process than they normally would. For example, i have had payments showing up on my account, but not available for several days after they normally would have been over the past 2-3 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement