Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Those who are not UB customers but have been seriously affected will not get repaid in days. They'll have to submit claims with clear proof of costs and UB will have to investigate. A lot of people will be seriously affected while these investigations take place.

do you work for UB? this is hearsay. we don't know how long it will take.

due course does not mean years/months/weeks/days.

we don't know..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

puffishoes wrote: »
    Well you can add back up plan to you strict budgeting for to futrure proof it.

Think of it as a cheap financial advisory

Back up plans can only occur is there is spare cash from month to month. Many people have no spare cash as while they may have no debts they are unable to save due to monthly costs.

do you work for UB? this is hearsay. we don't know how long it will take.

due course does not mean years/months/weeks/days.

we don't know..

No I dont work for UB. But considering UB said it would be sorted today (and it isn't) I'll go ahead and make a "wild" leap and say that I'm probably correct in my thinking on this. Time will tell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Back up plans can only occur is there is spare cash from month to month. Many people have no spare cash as while they may have no debts they are unable to save due to monthly costs.

splitting your money up into two accounts than one doesn't require more money. it's 50% of the same money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Well you can add back up plan to you strict budgeting for to futrure proof it.

Think of it as a cheap financial advisory

Wow, never thought of that!! And to think I've been spending all my money on stupid things like rent, childcare, food, pension, health insurance etc etc....how foolish of me. You genius. I'll live on the street so I can have a back up plan!

Try living in the real world and not be so patronising to those who are not as fortunate as you seem to be. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

splitting your money up into two accounts than one doesn't require more money. it's 50% of the same money.

I'll repeat what others have said. My wife works for the HSE who pay their wages though UB. We both have BOI accounts. Please explain how we can "split" money?

Two accounts = two lots of bank charges. Hardly sound financial advice Also, my wages didn't go in. One wage. I'd still have the same problem except two accounts that were empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

That sounds a bit far fetched tbh.

Its not at all, you will see

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭keystone

A Corporate UB rep has told my company that the issue is resolved and that our wages will come through on Tuesday.

We get paid on a Thursday.

I will say, this is the same rep that said that the wages would be in everyones account today so make of it what you will.

In relation to people not being paid but with other banks, I've contacted Permananet TSB to arrange something and the call center and the local branch are not in a position to assist. I've also heard similar stores from customers of AIB.

I queried whether they will waive any referral fees and so on, they would not answer that directly. This leads me to believe that we will be charged these fees by other banks and be expected to pay.

Poor Henry Hippo must be turning in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

keystone wrote: »
    A Corporate UB rep has told my company that the issue is resolved and that our wages will come through on Tuesday.

There's a clear contradiction there. If the issue was resolved, the money could be in there tomorrow, or Monday at the latest. I think they're bluffing from day to day.

(not blaming you, keystone, and thanks for the info).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

Me think that Aib and Boi will be rubbing their hands waiting for the new customers next week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

Have heard from several people now that it won't be sorted until Tuesday at the earliest, don't know were their sources are from though!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I wonder will RBS use this failure as a reason to pull out of Ireland? I hope not they are the only bank offering free banking at the moment and the Irish banks need foreign competition. Hope they get the mess sorted.

They will be told to sell UB off, the UK taxpayer wants their money back for bailing them out.

Scruff101 wrote: »
    Have heard from several people now that it won't be sorted until Tuesday at the earliest, don't know were their sources are from though!

Logical enough I guess. They are 2 days behind so even if they work all weekend, they will only get up to date by Monday. Other banks will have to process the transactions on Monday so they should hit accounts by Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ulster-bank-thousands-without-cash-as-bank-fails-to-fix-it-crash-3146374.html

"IT will be next week before Ulster Bank manages to fix its collapsed computer systems, resulting in further chaos for tens of thousands of customers."

"Ulster Bank has now admitted that the problem, which is the biggest banking IT failure the country has ever seen, won't be fixed before the weekend."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They really need to start explaining themselves in the media.
    It's mind-boggling that they don't have someone on pretty much every talk show this morning explaining what's going on.

All this will do is ensure that thousands of people switch to other banks on Monday/Tuesday.

Regardless of what the nature of the problem is, Ulster Bank are preventing people from accessing their own money. This will generally cause people to become extremely angry and lose trust in the bank entirely.

It's not like people have all that much respect for or trust in banks anyway, given the mess they've landed themselves in over the last few years.

The poor communications is just going to compound this lack of trust even further.

They could put a verified representative on Boards.ie, Twitter and open a Facebook help page for a start!
    They should have been on Newstalk, Radio 1, 2FM, 4FM, all the local stations + the news too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

My girlfriend reckons its a computer worm which would have started off in their systems a few weeks back, first showing up, like previously mentioned, as displaying account balances that were incorrect, the customer then uses the balance on their account and then a few days later there's a minus in your account, then gradually progressing on to this

Surely this is the banks mIstake, displaying incorrect balances unbeknownst to the customer?

Was it 80 branches accross Ireland incl. NI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Was it 80 branches accross Ireland incl. NI?
    It must be, because the actual list of branches open in the Republic numbers about 50 only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

My understanding of this is that they have not traced the fault yet. SO, its impossible to say when it will be fixed. They can only be guessing when they will be back to normal.

I bank commercially with UB, and cash flow is always tight. I cannot log on to check my balance online as its down, so I rang the branch. They cannot see my balance either !

I am trying to ring my "home" branch, but the phones are going to a call centre.

I am not one bit worried if I bounce something nor should anyone else. We cannot be held responsible for something we are in the dark about.

There is NO WAY, any of the other banks can hold us responsible either, they are only to aware of the money getting held up in cyberspace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

My girlfriend reckons its a computer worm which would have started off in their systems a few weeks back, first showing up, like previously mentioned, as displaying account balances that were incorrect, the customer then uses the balance on their account and then a few days later there's a minus in your account, then gradually progressing on to this

Surely this is the banks mIstake, displaying incorrect balances unbeknownst to the customer?

The idea of a worm is quite interesting. Is she in a bank or is she guessing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 CurlieSue

Ulster Bank are a complete joke! I went into town Wednesday to meet a friend, i had about €3 in my pocket and had planned to take money out of my account in the Ulster Bank but was told i couldnt! Couldnt get my own money! Surely they have some sort of back of system in this day and age

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Richard Epos

JOE DUFFY is gonna be worth a listen today on RTE RADIO 1..

So In a summary,
    Im a Ulster bank Customer.
    The Company I work "There a TSB Customer, will send my wages to my bank this evening "Ulster bank". Ulster bank wont be able to lodge the money into my account so I can withdraw from an ATM until there Software / Computer Glitches are fixed and going by the way things are, this could be Next week Sometime .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

CurlieSue wrote: »
    Ulster Bank are a complete joke! I went into town Wednesday to meet a friend, i had about €3 in my pocket and had planned to take money out of my account in the Ulster Bank but was told i couldnt! Couldnt get my own money! Surely they have some sort of back of system in this day and age

You can get money out..... Read back through the tread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

The idea of a worm is quite interesting. Is she in a bank or is she guessing ?

I doubt very much that is true. More than likely whatever caused it affected their database which they had to restore, verify, roll forward the transactions and then repeat this for each days processing they missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Aquila wrote: »
    Im an UB customer,do all my banking with them,can i physically take the money out in branch due to me today?

Yes you can. Bring ID to any branch.

If you waiting on wages bring in a payslip.

If you have no payslip go to your account holding branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Natwest customer here, which is UB essentially. Waiting on my wages to come through (due today). Very annoying timing, gonna be borrowing my way through the weekend if its not sorted by this evening. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Im an UB customer,do all my banking with them,can i physically take the money out in branch due to me today?

Is this due in the form of wages, if so if you take a payslip to your local branch they should sort you out..this may be open to abuse.

Newstalk seem to think that they will have a statement from Ulsterbank shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

Yeah apparently if you can bring proof that there was supposed to be money lodged the bank will give it to you, thats what I was told on the phone yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement