Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8 (codename Apollo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

exactly..it seems to be Microsoft holding it back..
    Can they not just release WM8 now and worry about Windows 8 desktop etc later on...from what I can see it's practically ready to go.
    I have the Windows 8 RTM at the moment and while I dislike Metro on a non-touch interface it's still a slick and speedy OS..
    Unless they're having issues with the mobile version it doesn't make sense to hold it back and lose further to Apple + Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Blazer wrote: »
    exactly..it seems to be Microsoft holding it back..
    Can they not just release WM8 now and worry about Windows 8 desktop etc later on...from what I can see it's practically ready to go.
    I have the Windows 8 RTM at the moment and while I dislike Metro on a non-touch interface it's still a slick and speedy OS..
    Unless they're having issues with the mobile version it doesn't make sense to hold it back and lose further to Apple + Android.

As far as I've read it's not just Microsoft that has work left to do. Nokia's not finished with their software either

Though I do agree I'd wish I'd come out sooner, but we don't want to have the same problems at launch like we did with Lumia 800

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

And all this means as well is that 7.8 won't be released until probably early new year...

Year ago I made a decision to pick Windows Phone over iPhone.

After todays announcement of the fruit phone 5 im happy i made the right choice. Especially knowing what the Lumia 920 is going to bring :) can't wait to get one now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

After todays announcement of the fruit phone 5 im happy i made the right choice. Especially knowing what the Lumia 920 is going to bring :) can't wait to get one now :)

Same here. I was impressed with the 920 and was waiting for the iphone 5 got the 'wow' feature that would turn me.

It didn't come. Easy decision now thank god. Lumia 920 all d way.
    Any idea of release date in Ireland?

obriea3 wrote: »

Same here. I was impressed with the 920 and was waiting for the iphone 5 got the 'wow' feature that would turn me.

It didn't come. Easy decision now thank god. Lumia 920 all d way.
    Any idea of release date in Ireland?

End of November probably :( Hope Nokia and MS do take note. Pricing, Features, Availability all at the launch.

Hope the not announced Windows Phone 8 features are worth the secrecy and the waiting time.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/Press/2012/Oct12/10-14XboxMusicPR.aspx

Xbox Music Launching in 22 markets tomorrow up from 8 whee Zune was aavailable. Seems there will be also a free ad supported music streaming available too. Hopefully Xbox Music will launch here. Been waiting a long time to get rid of iTunes. It will also do music match and other various functions, so it's not just a rebranding it also had more features.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

guys, what are the alternatives for win 8 phones for this year?

misses android really pissed me and her off today, while it completely shutdown during the night and she almost got late to work (again). i am not even talking about being generally slow as ****, and she does not even fiddle around with thing.

so getting new phone is back on the hands this year. I would like to get lumia 920, but with prices of 650eu i wont be able to hack that. If i wount be able to get win 8 phone ill have to get here some iphone 4 or 4s second hand and i will stick to my 3gs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

guys, what are the alternatives for win 8 phones for this year?

misses android really pissed me and her off today, while it completely shutdown during the night and she almost got late to work (again). i am not even talking about being generally slow as ****, and she does not even fiddle around with thing.

so getting new phone is back on the hands this year. I would like to get lumia 920, but with prices of 650eu i wont be able to hack that. If i wount be able to get win 8 phone ill have to get here some iphone 4 or 4s second hand and i will stick to my 3gs.

Maybe go with one of the cheaper windows 8 phones like the lumia 820 or HTC 8S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I would like to get lumia 920, but with prices of 650eu i wont be able to hack that.

Doubtful it will be that high once it comes out on the local networks...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

hoping to get lumia 920, missing lots of things in wp7 :(

To be honest i love nokia chunky design, though i am not fond on colours.

I dont really like the s£, due to it being so thin,light,plasticy,flat. wheres something like lumia 920 would feel nice and chunky in hand.
    I would love a fecking proper date of release in ireland on it though... no sign in O2 of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

That Titanium concept looks amazing, pretty much exacly how I wasnted the 920 to look. I love the metal case of my N8. Plastic ALWAYS feels cheap, no matter how good it is. Metal or Glass always wins out on quality.

That Titanium concept looks amazing, pretty much exacly how I wasnted the 920 to look. I love the metal case of my N8. Plastic ALWAYS feels cheap, no matter how good it is. Metal or Glass always wins out on quality.

Ah I wouldn't say that. The Lumia 800 does not feel cheap by a long mile. Its an extremely solid phone. The only part I hated that the matt surface collects so many finger prints, it seems like the only way to keep it clean is to polish it every 30 mins...I think that's the main reason they went with a glossy finish this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

AntiVirus wrote: »

Pretty cool.
    Looking forward to getting the lumia 920

so, all the details and release dates on W8 phones will be out on 26th of this month? i am really sick of not knowing any details on damn thing... I want to watch some reviews of damn thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

so, all the details and release dates on W8 phones will be out on 26th of this month? i am really sick of not knowing any details on damn thing... I want to watch some reviews of damn thing!

29th for WP8, 26th for W8. Hang in there... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

But the Nokia Lumia 920 has a better screen(RGB) than the Lumia FX800(Pentile)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ChoralClam

It is chunkier and heavier than any phone I've used and I think that may go against it for most people but it's worth it when you see how good it is

The thickness of the 920 has nothing to do with screen. The reason why it's so tick is because of the camera sensor. Specifically the sensor suspension tech.

Also the polycarbonate construction adds thickness too because it's rounded rather than a plain flat sandwich.

Some review sites got the sensor on its own and put it beside the 920 and can easily see why it's thicker than the rest of the smartphones.

Now weather its worth the thickness or not will be determined by how good the camera is going to be when it launches

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The wireless charging tech is supposed to be bulky and heavy too.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ChoralClam

stevenmu wrote: »
    The wireless charging tech is supposed to be bulky and heavy too.

Link

both true but still doesnt justify the size to me. im sure they could have made it closer in size to the 900, if the 820 had the same features i'd be all over it. although since i've just won a 920 i wont complain :)

Hard to complain about that alright :) Where did you win it if you don't mind me asking?

level_3_announce.jpg
    As many of you know, we are landing in San Francisco on Monday October 29th to showcase some new things from Windows Phone. For those that can’t join us in person, no need to worry! You can tune into a live webcast here, all from the comfort of your couch, cubicle or coffee table. We hope you can join us, see you on the 29th!

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2012/10/24/big-cool-stuff-coming-from-windows-phone-on-october-29.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm too excited over this. I hope they have a few surprises up their sleeves..

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    I'm too excited over this. I hope they have a few surprises up their sleeves..

They better

or-else.jpg

Advertisement