Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8 (codename Apollo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

They better

or-else.jpg

Come on MS.......give us something with a bit of the wow factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Bye bye Zune

t.co/CfSAwLDY

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

http://live.cnet.com/Event/Windows_Phone_8_launch

in 4 hours windows 8 mobile release. we will finally get some info so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

And what a day for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I hope they pull some really cool stuff out of the bag for this. I've been using android for nearly 3 years and I'm looking to move (not to IOS). I love the Windows phone UI and I've got my eye on the new HTC 8X.

Not 100% sure if I want to jump though, I remember how crappy the android store was when I first used it. Gotta wait and see what Google offer with the new nexus phone too.

• Advertisement

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/presskits/windowsphone/liveevent.aspx

this is what we need. 10am PT. so what time it will be in ireland?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

5pm (just a few minutes now)

The verge is doing a liveblog for anyone who can't watch the video feed, they're usually pretty good.

http://live.theverge.com/live-windows-phone-8-event-microsoft/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

This feed is working better (sound wise) for me - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/presskits/windowsphone/liveevent2.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Live apps for lock screen is pretty cool

i hate when they put kids in to these things.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kinda underwhelming so far. Hoping they'll show some slick integration with desktop Win8.

Edit: Jessica Alba.... bit more impressed now.

EGriff wrote: »
    Kinda underwhelming so far. Hoping they'll show some slick integration with desktop Win8.

Edit: Jessica Alba.... bit more impressed now.

i like it so far. i love interface. though i will still want to see independant reviews first.

i need price, release date...

Skydrive looks good, but I can already do all that with google docs.

in europe this weekend? so ireland in december so? :pac:

Still nothing on any operators that we get here. This is ridiculous. Why the hell haven't Vodafone got any announcement on it?

they really really pushing windows 8 on pc with this. no game lads for me. Win 8 will be on my Pc only if i will be dead.

That 920 looks great in the hand. (I'm a few mins behind, had to pause it)

8X looks great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Any release dates mentioned?

testicle wrote: »
    Any release dates mentioned?

This weekend in "Europe".

I wonder what they gave out to the people attending, the audio cut out as he was about to say it but you could hear a huge cheer. Probably free 8xs, they seem to be pushing that as the flagship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

I much prefer SkyDrive to Google Docs. Skydrive is far more integrated.

Actually, does anyone know if I'll be able to use my phone instead of any other NFC-enable card. Like a DublinBus, DublinBikes or college card? Can the phone read a card and then replicate it?

• Advertisement

what really is annoying that MS was pushing it back up untill now, just to show these few things like this? :rolleyes:

anyway, no proper dates on releases or prices. just "November, deal with it". Nothing on O2 website so far.

And no mention of when we are getting 7.8 either... very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Very anti climactic. No features announced that we didn't already know about and no secret 'killer' feature that some people seemed to think was coming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You have to look at Apple 3GS getting IOS6 and compare that with MS approach. Dropping all the current phones for the next OS.

The new Google nexus phone is more impressive than anything MS showed today if you ask me. Very cheap too for an unlocked version (€299 8GB / €349 16GB). I'll be getting that I think instead of the 8X I was considering.

That was a little underwhelming I think. I still think WP8 looks great, but there wasn't anything new and amazing today. And they didn't even go into much detail on some of the cooler stuff like NFC, wallet hub, SD card support and so on.

I still want either a Lumia 920 or HTC 8x, but I think they missed out on a chance to really wow people today.

A good post to read on what happened yesterday :)

http://www.1800pocketpc.com/all-new-windows-phone-8-features/35589/
    Finally Windows Phone 8 has been officially announced and here are all the juicy bits of info you guys have been waiting for. If you did not catch the live stream you can still watch some of the video here. This is the first major version change to Windows Phone since Windows Phone 7 and Microsoft has guarded most of the features close to their chest.

Here are a few that you might not have heard about. ( via feature request forum ). These ones are marked as completed.
    1. You can use Paypal to buy apps in WP marketplace
    2. Allow ability to assign multiple mobile numbers to a contact
    3. Screen Shot support
    4. Automatic upload to Skydrive from gallery in FULL resolution ( when on Wi-Fi )
    5. local device encryption
    6. USB mass storage + micro SD support
    More features after the break.

NFC Support - works even between Windows Phone and Android
    NFC which stands for near-field communication allows tap + send features that enables users to share data by holding two supporting devices back to back. You are able to share URLs, contact info and other data using this technology. But sending files like mp3 , video , etc does not work for now. You are also able to send Pics between Windows Phone devices but not between Android and Windows Phone via WPC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Also read (on the Verge, I think) that there is search for text in IE10 so if you're on a webpage you can look for instances of a particular text appearing on that page.

AngryLips wrote: »
    Also read (on the Verge, I think) that there is search for text in IE10 so if you're on a webpage you can look for instances of a particular text appearing on that page.

Well that was there before and for whatever reason it got removed with Mango.

8X benchmarks on IE10 have outdone iPhone 5 too which is quite impressive.

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see benchmarks from the other phones as well, I know they're all using the same chipset, but I wonder have any of them tweaked it a little either for more performance or better battery life etc.

Advertisement