Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8 (codename Apollo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

gman2k wrote: »
    While Microsoft was keen to announce that 7.x apps will run on Windows Phone 8, ZDNet has just confirmed, via a statement from Redmond, that apps built for the new platform won't be backwards compatible:

"New applications compiled specifically for Windows Phone 8 will not be made available for Windows Phone 7.x devices."

From here

If an app is compiled specifically for Windows Phone 8 it won't work on Windows Phone 7.8 but a developer can select to compile it for Windows Phone 7.8. They can also compile a Windows Phone 8 version and a Windows Phone 7.9 version.

It's very unlikely that you will have to worry for the moment as most developers will still be building there apps to support Windows Phone 7.8. Windows Phone 7.8 has around 15 million user and Windows Phone 8 has 0 users.

They just better include the skype and voip in Windows Phone 7.8!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

AntiVirus wrote: »
    If an app is compiled specifically for Windows Phone 8 it won't work on Windows Phone 7.8 but a developer can select to compile it for Windows Phone 7.8. They can also compile a Windows Phone 8 version and a Windows Phone 7.9 version.

It's very unlikely that you will have to worry for the moment as most developers will still be building there apps to support Windows Phone 7.8. Windows Phone 7.8 has around 15 million user and Windows Phone 8 has 0 users.

WP7 and WP7.5 apps will still work on WP8 so you don't even need to compile for again for WP8. So normal apps will work fine I'd guess. The only thing WP7.8 users will miss out on will be games made using C/C++.
    AntiVirus wrote: »
    They just better include the skype and voip in Windows Phone 7.8!!!

They'd bloody well want to. I'd be pretty pissed if I had a WP7 device and it didn't support this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

So I presume we don't have an app list anymore? Just a screen with all your apps like in W8?

Looks a lot more practical and I can see all my live tiles fitting into one screen rather than having to go up and down, but it ruins the clean look though, as above I liked the negative space.

Mixed bag of emotions so far after reading through the Live Blog, still going through my tweets and reading the rest of small bits and bobs.

So the way I get it existing user will get WP7.8, which is pretty much the same thing, makes the phone look and feel like WP8.

Where new phones will run on better hardware which allows a couple of new features.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 micko2009

After this announcement I am done with the windows platform and more so Nokia. Have had so many issues with my Lumia 800 spanning back 6 months at this stage..

Grand so, back to IOS for me. Gave it a shot but I don't want a half arsed apollo upgrade. Btw the new layout is horrible.

micko2009 wrote: »
    Grand so, back to IOS for me. Gave it a shot but I don't want a half arsed apollo upgrade. Btw the new layout is horrible.

Lol wait your going back because Microsoft puts it out like it is?

Every time there a new iOS upgrade Apple goes oh its available for old hardware, oh wait your old phone wont get this, this and that feature, so its not really a full update. Basic functions are carried over while most important ones stay with the new hardware. So by going back to iOS, wait till apple does the same and sprays some nice deodorant on the same thing MS just did.

The only difference is that Microsoft rather than imprinting that its a full update gave it a distinction between two. Its not a complete update but we will bring WP8 features. Obvious reason why, hardware cant support it.

I wouldn't blame you with Nokia, they did have way to many problems at launch, even though the 800 I gave to my mum had no issues what so ever, even the camera performance is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I hope the new update doesn't result in screen-size inflation for the platform. I can't be dealing with Android-sized handsets when iPhone/Lumia 800 size is perfectly adequate for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

I don't get all of the complaints regarding the new Start Screen, at the end of the day its customizable, so you can have it the same way as you do now!

I do like the ability to expand the messages tile to the full width and it shows partial messages.

All I can hope now is HTC have a Titan 3 in the wings as I don't think I can go back to a smaller screen phone.

Edit: one thing I did miss was lack of actual phones, like for WP7 announcement they had a line up of phones, now it was just the names of the partners, would have liked to see whats planned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There's plenty of positives in there.

- I like the customisable start screen, from a graphic design point of view, it's not as nice looking, but the flexibility and practicality is great. I can see myself having my main apps at the top as full size tiles or possibly double width for one or two, so my initial view will be very similar. And then when I scroll down a few rows of the quarter size tiles for less commonly used app, or toggles for wifi/bluetooth etc. I can see it being very functional.

- The business/enterprise stuff sounds fantastic. This was the biggest omission imho in WP7. And if they can get this message out quickly it could be a huge boost to the platform. With RIM on the way out, many organisations have an eye out to see what to replace their blackberrys with. WP8 sounds like it has exactly what they will be looking for.

One extra interesting thing about it is the ability to load corporate apps to devices, I wonder if this could become a way for consumers to sideload homebrew apps as well.

- It seems like the shared core, new APIs and native code will bring a lot of functionality that devs have been waiting for. There were some glaring omissions in WP7, a bluetooth API being one of the big ones, and a few game developers have bemoaned the lack of native code. They haven't gone into huge detail yet, but the hints are strong that it will have everything needed.

- Removable SD Cards at last! I know they're slow and crap, but for music, movies, documents and mass storage they're perfectly fine, delighted with this.

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    Edit: one thing I did miss was lack of actual phones, like for WP7 announcement they had a line up of phones, now it was just the names of the partners, would have liked to see whats planned.
    I presume they didn't want to completely kill the sales of current phones, although they've come pretty close already by not allowing WP8 on them. It'll be interesting to watch the Lumia 900 sales figures over the next few weeks as news gets out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

stevenmu wrote: »
    - Removable SD Cards at last! I know they're slow and crap, but for music, movies, documents and mass storage they're perfectly fine, delighted with this.

Joe Belfiore said that they were going to make it easy to use SD cards on Windows Phone 8, I wonder what they've got up their sleeves...

• Advertisement

Joe Belfiore said that they were going to make it easy to use SD cards on Windows Phone 8, I wonder what they've got up their sleeves...
    I'm hoping it'll show up as a USB mass storage device if you connect the phone to a PC, and it'll use a standard file system if you use a card reader.

And on the phone it'll just show up as something you can browse to to play music/movies etc.

That'd be easiest for power users anyway. I'm hoping they won't try too hard to make it transparent and automatic, but I won't mind too much if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Would be nice if you could use these for user data and make backup/restore of app settings/save games/general settings possible between phones/resets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I presume you good folks have seen this re Surface launch....

I presume you good folks have seen this re Surface launch....

and??

and??

And it is rather embarrassing for the presenter, he handled it rather well however!

And??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I liked his little run to the desk...teehee...:pac:

and??

Angry much?

AngryLips wrote: »
    Angry much?

LOL like I care :) a few trolls come on trying to stir a fire, forgetting that every tech company in the world had a screw up in some presentation.

Who cares :)

Angry much?

LOL like I care :) a few trolls come on trying to stir a fire, forgetting that every tech company in the world had a screw up in some presentation.

Who cares :)
    Don't call me a troll, I'm a Windows Phone owner, but slightly annoyed by MS and all their talk about Apollo, which will not be available to any existing owner.
    An equally disparaging term is fanboy.

• Advertisement

Don't call me a troll, I'm a Windows Phone owner, but slightly annoyed by MS and all their talk about Apollo, which will not be available to any existing owner.
    An equally disparaging term is fanboy.

Look its the exact same thing Apple, HTC and Samsung do to their phones, Motorola even goes as far as making a statement that they wont issue updates due to performance issues.

What does Apple do for iPhone, it says you will get the update, but doesn't tell you which part of it you will get, remember iPhone 4 and no Siri and other small stuff that got people going.

HTC and their Sense 3.6 to their latest Sensation rather than the full baked 4.0 Sense update.

Samsung and their half baked TouchWiz update for the S2.

Nothing ever gets updated fully.

Yeah I know its a bummer, but when you have switched enough phones and platforms you'll see that every one is doing it.

After all the only thing we know now that 7.8 will feel and look like WP8. The only thing that existing user wont be able to get is apps that are designed for Windows Phone 8 only, due to the fact that it runs of a different core, but that doesn't mean developers wont make these apps compatible, either way all the apps that are available now, still will be and will continue to grow.

7.8 is better than just being left with nothing at all, at least were going to get it, and not be left out like some Android phones.

Screen capture support is rumoured to be coming to Windows Phone 8.

Can't say I'd use this much myself. Still though, it would be a nice addition. :)

Can't say I'd use this much myself. Still though, it would be a nice addition. :)

Meh its only ever good for posting weather forecasts on Facebook of "good" coming weather :)

I want a HD display. Hope Samsung is going to bring the good windows phones here this year. Id still trade my Titan to Focus S any day. I just hope it doesn't remotely look like the SGS3. I just cant stand the ugly shape of that or the ugly color choices

This is the one feature I miss the most from iPhone. Any word on whether it will be hardware dependant like with Android?

This is the one feature I miss the most from iPhone. Any word on whether it will be hardware dependant like with Android?

I can't imagine it being hardware-dependant.

I can't imagine it either. Still could be disabled for lower end handsets. There's still so much we don't know about WP8 and what's gonna happen with lower end phones, especially tango handsets or what's going to be the wp8 low end handsets?

I know this secrecy thing is keeping competition out of the loop, but its making everyone anxious. After all it was a bit of a shock when last year mango beta features ended up in competing platforms.

On Andriod it is hardware dependant; that's the reason why some phones running the same version of Android as others are not able to perform screen grabs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

On Andriod it is hardware dependant; that's the reason why some phones running the same version of Android as others are not able to perform screen grabs

I'm a bit lost. How can it be hardware dependent to write the GPU buffer to memory/file?

The CPU can read/write GPU memory and the CPU can read/write flash. I'm pretty sure you can install a screenshot app on any rooted android phone.

As they say on wikipedia [CITATION NEEDED]!

TBi wrote: »
    I'm a bit lost. How can it be hardware dependent to write the GPU buffer to memory/file?

The CPU can read/write GPU memory and the CPU can read/write flash. I'm pretty sure you can install a screenshot app on any rooted android phone.

As they say on wikipedia [CITATION NEEDED]!

I find it hard to believe too but it doesn't change the fact that the functionality to take screenshots that is native to the Android OS works on some hardware and not on others. I'm not talking about the same functionality that is not native to the OS such as what's available via Marketplace apps.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's not a physical hardware limitation, but a limitation of how the vendor has implemented Android on their device...?

Advertisement