Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8 (codename Apollo)

Options
  • 19-06-2012 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭

I think this deserves a thread of its own, instead of posting about it in our beloved 2981-post Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread. So it looks like we're going to find out all about it tomorrow at 9am Pacific Time (that's 6pm here).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57456171-94/microsoft-expected-to-announce-windows-phone-8-tomorrow/

And it's going to be broadcast on Channel 9 via http://aka.ms/wpsummit

So does anyone have any predictions for Windows Phone 8? It's rumoured to use bits of the Windows 8 kernel and support different resolutions, so I don't think our current phones will get Apollo, but we'll still be able to run all the current Windows Phone 7 apps on it. I doubt there'll be many new development APIs either, but we'll just have to wait and see. I'm looking forward to finding out though! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks.

I love my HTC Windows Mobile phone,but as with all the Microsoft OSes...i'll wait for Windows Phone 8.1 ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well I hope we will see some beta release :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Skype integration and skydrive music streaming and I'll be happy. :D

Oh and I'm pretty confindent we'll get our upgrades. :)

Oh and also we might get to see whats going to replace our Zune music in the update with its built in Skydrive streaming. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Oh and also we might get to see whats going to replace our Zune music in the update with its built in Skydrive streaming. :D

Apparently it's being replaced with something codenamed Daphne, that's meant to be similar to ActiveSync. Apparently. Allegedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

This is a minor detail but apparently you will be able to customise the size of the live tiles for each app, so instead of being stuck with only the pictures tile and the calendar tile taking up two squares you will be able to choose the size for each tile.

Also, you will be able to customise which live tile info you want displayed on the lock screen instead of just the calendar at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

One rumour I saw was that existing phones wouldn't get WP8, but would get an update that would bring some of the features and possibly include WP8 app compatibility.

The Verge are doing a Live Blog for anyone who can't stream. They were pretty good for the Surface announcement, plenty of updates and pictures, so I'm hoping they'll be as good again.

(btw, the above link is working pretty well on WP7, it updates smoothly and quickly, even if you put the phone into standby and then go back)

Bugger, I got the times wrong. Instead of starting at 6 here, it's starting at 5. As in, one minute from now.

Still, no one noticed, eh? :o

I've seen a load of different times, I saw 5:30 somewhere else, at least you can claim DST through you off :)

• Advertisement

To quote the great Homer Simpson: "Lousy farmers".

Seriously cool looking mixing board, what are the chances that'll be a built in WP8 app ? :)

It would be really nice! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Multi-core support, micro sd support, 720p resolution support and a quicker web browser. Very nice, I may be moving from android.

Offline maps. Very nice. :)

I like the new start screen tile size options :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I like the new start screen tile size options :)

It definitely makes sense, but to my eye it's just ruined the look of the OS. I liked that WP7 had that negative space.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    My current win phone is far quicker than any Android phone I have used. Unless the win 8 phones do something really awesome I`ll be sticking with my Win 7.5 phone.

I've no doubt a 7.5 device would be quicker than my android is now but I was considering an upgrade to an S2 which whenever I've played with one (which is quite a bit) was smooth as butter. I do prefer the look and feel of WP to android but there were a few things I was waiting on before making the leap. Do we have any idea of a release date for this?

It definitely makes sense, but to my eye it's just ruined the look of the OS. I liked that WP7 had that negative space.

In all fairness their Start screens also look a bit disorganised and messy to me. I don't think it'll look so bad if the Start screen it a bit more organised. :)
    I've no doubt a 7.5 device would be quicker than my android is now but I was considering an upgrade to an S2 which whenever I've played with one (which is quite a bit) was smooth as butter. I do prefer the look and feel of WP to android but there were a few things I was waiting on before making the leap. Do we have any idea of a release date for this?

Sometime between Autumn and the end of the year. I don't think we'll get anything more concrete before the end of the summit.

I'm wondering if i'm reading this correctly. With the ability for native development and ease of porting etc. does this leave current WP7 7.8 owners potentially ****ered with access to new apps?

• Advertisement

It's up to you how you set it up. You can keep it exactly your current phone's home screen is. It's the choice that I like :)

It's up to you how you set it up. You can keep it exactly your current phone's home screen is. It's the choice that I like :)

I think the asymmetrical nature of it is gone - the black bar on the right - it really was a bold choice first day i.e. **** you we're not using this space in a conventional manner. It's weird to me how much an impact it makes in those pics.

I hope this news about upgradability drives the price of the Lumia 800 into the ground. I really want a cyan one.

Integrated VoIP and video chat.

(Replace "VoIP and video chat" with "Skype" or "Tango" or your own custom-made VoIP software.) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Launcher 7 (donate version also available as well as a replacement taskbar app)

Same look at WP7 but with the benefit of having a much more mature marketplace and apps behind it that don't cost a fortune either.

Works for me :) - and I have a WP7 for work as well that yes I like the front-end on but ultimately it's the apps and functionality that make or break an OS and WP7 still isn't there yet IMO.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Launcher 7 (donate version also available as well as a replacement taskbar app)

Same look at WP7 but with the benefit of having a much more mature marketplace and apps behind it that don't cost a fortune either.

Works for me :) - and I have a WP7 for work as well that yes I like the front-end on but ultimately it's the apps and functionality that make or break an OS and WP7 still isn't there yet IMO.

Used it before but it's a poor substitute. Sure the launcher looks metro but that's it. I don't really use many apps. Internet, email, music and videos, cabbage (or something similar) for webtexts and that is me more or less sorted.

winphone_3.png

Horrible. Again, it makes it more practical, but it just ruins what was an elegant UI with tons of clutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

I hope this news about upgradability drives the price of the Lumia 800 into the ground. I really want a cyan one.

I like this idea, i'd bite for a cyan one if the price was right :)

shuyin1 wrote: »
    I like this idea, i'd bite for a cyan one if the price was right :)

They're already cheap enough, but for 250 unlocked I'd buy one immediately and never upgrade past Tango.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

While Microsoft was keen to announce that 7.x apps will run on Windows Phone 8, ZDNet has just confirmed, via a statement from Redmond, that apps built for the new platform won't be backwards compatible:

"New applications compiled specifically for Windows Phone 8 will not be made available for Windows Phone 7.x devices."

From here

Advertisement