Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8 (codename Apollo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

It looks like an OK phone. Nothing to oooh and ahhhh about and yes they are making the screens way too big. As far as I remember Nokia said they were a firm believer that 4.3 is max that should be on a phone. Hope they stick to it. Would love to see a feature packed HD phone with a great camera and a 4" HD clear black non pen tile matrix screen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It looks like an OK phone. Nothing to oooh and ahhhh about and yes they are making the screens way too big. As far as I remember Nokia said they were a firm believer that 4.3 is max that should be on a phone. Hope they stick to it. Would love to see a feature packed HD phone with a great camera and a 4" HD clear black non pen tile matrix screen.

That pretty much sums up what I want. Camera, 4.3"ish great screen, and WP8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I think you'll find what you're looking for on the 5th of September. Its looking very likely there'll be a new Nokia Lumia Pureview then :)

AntiVirus wrote: »

I think you'll find what you're looking for on the 5th of September. Its looking very likely there'll be a new Nokia Lumia Pureview then :)

Let's hope so. Lumia 800 was a great and still is a great phone in design. Probably the nicest phone out there. It just lack behind so far in specs. Let's hope they bring out the same great design with all the features one would wantand I'm sold.

Great design, good hardware and good battery life + reception and they would have a killer product.

If Nokia don't pack stuff in one good phone, then Atis S probably will be the phone that will replace my S3.

I'm staying away from HTC after my Titan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

My Christmas resolution : get Samsung Note 2...and... Ativ !

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    My Christmas resolution : get Samsung Note 2...and... Ativ !

Not the Note 2... 4.7" is pushing it already. I just can't understand peoples desire for it.

I wouldn't set your mind for camp Samsung either. I would wait to see what Nokia is bringing out. I don't expect anything special from camp HTC anyway.

I'm mostly excited to see what low end handsets are going to be like. Android got popular due to its price point. Lately I've been seen more and more Lumia's. Mainly 610's and a lot of 800's. I think Vodafone Lumia 610 is also €129.99 now so that should penetrate the lower end market even better.

What's the story for you Titan experience !??

rolion wrote: »

What's the story for you Titan experience !??

Problems with screen, rebooting. Got it replaced eventually.

I like HTC but ever since I had HD2 the quality or how good the phones are seems to be going down. HD7 was a horrible horrible phone. Titan was great in the start but failed to work without faults for less than half a year since I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Sammy Win8 phone is largely just a slightly ****ter version of the SGS3 in the same form factor and 6 months late to market.

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Sammy Win8 phone is largely just a slightly ****ter version of the SGS3 in the same form factor and 6 months late to market.

Sammy !?? Win8 !?? ...late to market !?? 6 months !??
    ...but...
    Windows 8 hasn't been launched yet !! :)

PS
    do you own a prototype !? Or, just personal "iFeeling" !?

PPS
    love it,from the photos and description...

rgds

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Lumia 820 has leaked, not much details on it yet.

Also, the Lumia 920 has leaked, not much more details wise, except that it apprantly has Pureview!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭g0g

Have been dying to upgrade from Nokia N8 for ages and am praying one of these new W8 phones can match it. Would actually like to move to a new operating system for a change if I could stick with a Nokia. Here's hoping this 920 has Pureview/Xenon Flash/GPS/FM Transmitter (last one not essential) and isn't too big a brick! Also hoping Vodafone carry it and we see them soon enough - will they be out pre-Christmas do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Wonder what pricre range these new nokia phones will come in at they seem high spec phones so id say 400+ sim free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

g0g wrote: »
    will they be out pre-Christmas do people think?

Should be available at the end of October so hopefully some networks should have them here for December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

4.3" and 4.5"? Where is the standard 3.x" screen? These are way too big for me.

Am i the only person left on the planet who doesn't need a big screen to compensate for something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

TBi wrote: »

Am i the only person left on the planet who doesn't need a big screen to compensate for something else?

You're not alone. My 3.7" Lumia 800 is perfect, I've had an Omnia 7 which was meh and a Titan which was far too big.

It worries me that if i want the best WP8 phone I'll have to get a mini tablet, yet if i want to stick to a more sensible size I'll be punished with a lesser specced phone.

Not fair if that's the case.

Undead wrote: »
    TBi wrote: »

You're not alone. My 3.7" Lumia 800 is perfect, I've had an Omnia 7 which was meh and a Titan which was far too big.

It worries me that if i want the best WP8 phone I'll have to get a mini tablet, yet if i want to stick to a more sensible size I'll be punished with a lesser specced phone.

Not fair if that's the case.

Actually the SGS3 is a lot more comfy to hold than the Titan. It's thin and light hence doesn't put as much stress on the hand over time . Titan was too heavy and thick for the size .

If the Ativ S is close to SGS3 I wouldn't have a problem going for it again. Though I wouldn't mind sacrificing both of those for a huge battery. .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Some more on the Nokia Lumnia 920.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/135412-nokia-lumia-920-the-windows-phone-8-flagship-with-built-in-wireless-charging

Currently an iphone user but would happily jump ship to WP8 if it works out seeing that I use Windows and xbox as well.
    Will hold off and see how it compares to the IP5 when it comes out.
    Looking forward to today's unveiling conference with Nokia and MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I think the changes to the UI on WP8 in terms of being able to more easily customise tile sizes means that a bigger screen is more appropriate. How many tiles across should the screen be able to accomodate when all tiles are set to small?

To be honest, I am beginning to feel that maybe my iPhone/Lumia screen could do with being a bit bigger.

AngryLips wrote: »
    I think the changes to the UI on WP8 in terms of being able to more easily customise tile sizes means that a bigger screen is more appropriate. How many tiles across should the screen be able to accomodate when all tiles are set to small?

To be honest, I am beginning to feel that maybe my iPhone/Lumia screen could do with being a bit bigger.

yeah..definitely a 4" screen at least..I find browsing on the internet painful on my iphone4..

• Advertisement

Unveiled today...no pricing or release date though..other companies should really take a leaf out of Apple's book.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/135500-nokia-unveils-lumia-920-superphone-claims-to-have-the-best-screen-and-camera-in-the-world

I've about 8 weeks now to decide between upgrading to Iphone 5 or switching over to this....will be very interesting to see how WM8 gets on..

What I can't understand is why Microsoft hasn't pushed Skype access across it's platforms as a key selling point.
    Imagine between able to skype someone regardless if they're on PC, Mobile or Xbox.
    I know you can do it a small bit already but video conferencing across the 3 platforms? Will be a huge plus in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Nokia has apologised after it emerged that an advert featuring video footage which appeared to have been filmed with its new flagship smartphone had in fact been created using different equipment.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19499879

gman2k wrote: »
    Nokia has apologised after it emerged that an advert featuring video footage which appeared to have been filmed with its new flagship smartphone had in fact been created using different equipment.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19499879

I wouldnt bother too much

This video under shows very well how good the camera is.

Edit: If it actually performs as well when I get my hands on a demo ill be sold. Im tired of using the S3 and constantly getting FC's on it.

I wouldnt bother too much

This video under shows very well how good the camera is.

Edit: If it actually performs as well when I get my hands on a demo ill be sold. Im tired of using the S3 and constantly getting FC's on it.

Do you enjoy your hobby of photographing flowers in a cave? I didn't realise one could sell millions of phones to such a niche market......

also in that vid the nokia uses light and the iphone doesn't how's that fair?

Do you enjoy your hobby of photographing flowers in a cave? I didn't realise one could sell millions of phones to such a niche market......

Well one problem that we have in this country is that its always dark and cloudy. Better low light performance is going to allow better pictures during the average cloudy day here...

The Nokia phone only used the flash for a second to autofocus and not to take the picture. Look through the video carefully. They also had a video at the end where they showed OIS in real life, I also seen Nokia reposted a real video demo on youtube taken outdoors on 920 with OIS on and off.

Go bash it all you want :) You can clearly see the camera performance in that demo was clearly hands down better on the 920 compared to the S3 and 4S in the demo without the need of flash...

Well one problem that we have in this country is that its always dark and cloudy. Better low light performance is going to allow better pictures during the average cloudy day here...

The Nokia phone only used the flash for a second to autofocus and not to take the picture. Look through the video carefully. They also had a video at the end where they showed OIS in real life, I also seen Nokia reposted a real video demo on youtube taken outdoors on 920 with OIS on and off.

Go bash it all you want :) You can clearly see the camera performance in that demo was clearly hands down better on the 920 compared to the S3 and 4S in the demo without the need of flash...

I would argue it's using the light to enhance the pic. We shall see when the Rom gets taken apart. Given all the shenanigans they have pulled so far its likely they are also cheating here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

God I got tired of bull****ing conferences. Everyone bragging about biggest gentleman sausage and then in the end we have to wait months to see that it's not a jumbo size, but just a cocktail sausage made out of mechanised meat...

So it's out in October? Let's play the waiting game so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

<snip> Im tired of using the S3 and constantly getting FC's on it.

BUT OMGWTFBBQ ANDROIDZ IS TEH BEST EVARS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well i looked in to more stuff about lumia 920.

i am afraid to say this, but i start really liking it.

i need in my phone:

good camera.
    good browser.
    good touch screen for typing.

i could not care less about all the apps. there are few basics that i need and the rest of the sea of shiet can go away.

so release is around october? i will keep an eye on it.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately Nokia are not releasing it till November.

This is a disaster for them...Apple's Tim Cook will host a conference on Wed where he'll stand up on stage introducing the iP5 and saying "being released next Friday etc etc and costs this much".

And Nokia won't launch until 2 months after this? They're screwed.
    Surely Samsung will be launching their version at the same time?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/07/us-nokia-operators-idUSBRE8860HB20120907

Advertisement