Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's great to be unemployed...

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Kinski wrote: »
    if there is some good social or economic reason for this work to be done, then someone would be being paid to do it already.
    Paid for with what?
    The only paid community work getting done is the absolute rock bottom basics, and even then its getting done 3 years after its absolutely needed.

Every school, playground, community hall, retirement home etc etc could do with some TLC.
    As for a way of getting the hardcore unemployed doing something productive, I know someone who works in a dole office in Dublin. Many of the long-term unemployed he deals with (not those made redundant as a result of the recent downturn) refer to the dole as their "wages." I see some of these guys drinking their "wages" in the park near my house almost every day. Tbh, I don't hold out much hope that making them do anything in the community is going to have much benefit.
    There are people who are just unwilling and / or incapable of doing anything for anyone (even for themselves) ever.
    Have them push a turbine and pay them by the kilowatt?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Gurgle wrote: »
    if there is some good social or economic reason for this work to be done, then someone would be being paid to do it already.
    Paid for with what?
    The only paid community work getting done is the absolute rock bottom basics, and even then its getting done 3 years after its absolutely needed.

Every school, playground, community hall, retirement home etc etc could do with some TLC.
    As for a way of getting the hardcore unemployed doing something productive, I know someone who works in a dole office in Dublin. Many of the long-term unemployed he deals with (not those made redundant as a result of the recent downturn) refer to the dole as their "wages." I see some of these guys drinking their "wages" in the park near my house almost every day. Tbh, I don't hold out much hope that making them do anything in the community is going to have much benefit.
    There are people who are just unwilling and / or incapable of doing anything for anyone (even for themselves) ever.
    Have them push a turbine and pay them by the kilowatt?

Wouldn't have thought of a turbine and they'd probably have to do way more than 40 hours to make anysort of drinking money...... How bout rock breaking in special camps... I can think of a few candidates...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Comparing apples and bowling balls tbh.

What a well explained rebuttal of my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

What a well explained rebuttal of my point.

I wouldn't say it was well explained, but it certainly was apt.

sarumite wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it was well explained, but it certainly was apt.

So you won't have a bash at explaining it either then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

So you won't have a bash at explaining it either then?

Briefly, since I thought it was self explanatory. There are very few similarities between an apple and a bowling ball. Comparing the two seems somewhat strange. The same could be said of your comparison, where there was a tenuous link at best.

sarumite wrote: »
    Briefly, since I thought it was self explanatory. There are very few similarities between an apple and a bowling ball. Comparing the two seems somewhat strange. The same could be said of your comparison, where there was a tenuous link at best.

Taking precautions against people cheating the dole system does not imply that everyone does it.

Taking precautions against people drinking and driving does not imply that everyone does it.

I've found a clear similarlity.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thread seems to be descending to sniping and one liners. Seems to have run its course and there's another thread active about Welfare.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement