Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's great to be unemployed...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Go jump in a lake. This is the type of ignorant twattle we get from our out of touch FG ministers.

A) Do you think doing menial labour for a slave wage* would restore the pride into a skilled professional with a young family who lost his job through no fault of his own?

So Pat, you used to be a IT Manager / Lawyer / Mechanical Engineer and now you scoop up my dogs ****. How the mighty have fallen, eh neighbour :p

I wouldnt ****ing do it.

B) Go look for work. It takes a lot of time and energy. Yet you want to facilitate this by taking up half someones week with manual labour :rolleyes:

*You propose say halving someone's dole unless they do 25hours work.
    Thats 94euro for 25hours work, which is 3.75per hour. The minimum wage is €8.65.

Now come here I'm not saying to send people out picking up dog ****e for 12 hours a day when they have a qualification.
    I myself have an honours degree and if I was unlucky enough to loose my job tomorrow, I would prefer to give something back to my community since I would have time on my hands.
    No shame in improving your locality whether it's tidying up the grounds of a church, volunteering for training underage teams, volunteering to read to elderly in a nursing home, bringing people to hospital appointments etc even if is one day a week.
    Are you saying you would rather sit at home all day every day instead of helping your locality because you would be ashamed of what your neighbours would think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

The scenario was someone working full time minimum wage, you are going off on a tangent. The rules I have quoted are relevant to the post I was replying to.

I do not know the BTEA rules very well, but they are not relevant to the suggestion that was made; that a regular student can sign on for the summer.

This is the quote I replied to which had no mention of working in any capacity

If you are in a third level course, and returning to that course in September, you are not entitled to the dole for the summer.

(I have since read the preceeding post which did mention working so my apologies for that, obviously you cant claim the dole and work full time in the summer)

Rasheed wrote: »
    Now come here I'm not saying to send people out picking up dog ****e for 12 hours a day when they have a qualification.
    I myself have an honours degree and if I was unlucky enough to loose my job tomorrow, I would prefer to give something back to my community since I would have time on my hands.
    No shame in improving your locality whether it's tidying up the grounds of a church, volunteering for training underage teams, volunteering to read to elderly in a nursing home, bringing people to hospital appointments etc even if is one day a week.
    Are you saying you would rather sit at home all day every day instead of helping your locality because you would be ashamed of what your neighbours would think?

All those will require garda background checks which at the moment are backlogged to 16 to 20 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

No. If the work needs to be done, then providing free labour simply takes away a paid job from the community.

The jobsbridge is an abhorrent scheme for this very reason. I know university graduates in business, engineering, and health care who would normally be able to secure a job were it not for the idea that encouraging firms to offer unpaid internships would be good for the unemployed.
    edit: Here's an eloquently put argument:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2012/0605/1224317295223.html?fb_ref=.T88-fjkU84o.like&fb_source=timeline

All this is about is punishing those perceived to be lazy because they dont have a job.

There are lazy people, but this is not the way to go about catching them.

Jobs bridge is abhorrent because it farms out people into the private sector and undermines the labour market. This is voluntary sector work, the type you wouldn't get paid for anyway but after a number of years searching for work it would be a corequisite to claiming welfare.

There is work to be done on the community that if it were a job, the government cant afford to staff it. They also can't afford to pay €20 billion in welfare so complaining about having to give something back directly to the state - your time to charitable causes (not vagazziling or answering phones).

It is 'donating' your time. You are still unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Oh, you didnt say that we would give the middle class people their choice of the jobs :rolleyes:

But we are all agreed though that the people from bad neighbourhoods should be publicly shamed, right? Make them dance for your dollar, right?

• Advertisement

Would the employed donate 6 months salary for to help the government pay back their debts? go on they cant afford it. Think of the pride youd feel helping out your country in its time if need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

were not all scammers you know..a lot of people have fallen on hard times,job creation is zilch,and there is no other source of income,dont tar us all with the same brush..

Sorry but that post makes my blood boil. I spend 4 hard year puttin myself through college often going without basics for a degree that I can't possibly get a paying job in. When I finished I was down and broke and I mean broke. I reskilled and will be joinin the public sector ranks in the next two weeks.

Life will throw you lemons you just gotta know how to make lemonade

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Sin City wrote: »
    Would the employed donate 6 months salary for to help the government pay back their debts? go on they can afford it. Think of the pride youd feel helping out your country in its time if need

fyp

Considering about 75% of the workforce earn 36k or less do you really think all those in employment can afford to give away up to €13/14 k (approx half the take home).

I suggest you think about that one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Would the employed donate 6 months salary for to help the government pay back their debts? go on they cant afford it. Think of the pride youd feel helping out your country in its time if need

The employed pay tax. Tax goes to pay for things like state debt and social welfare. I'm not complaining. I'm happy to pay tax, and I'm lucky to be working. If be happy paying more tax because I believe in strongly supporting the state but I don't want that tax to be wasted. Where I see it wasted (amongst other areas) is paying high welfare indefinitely with no requirement of civic duty or real effort. Unemployed people can't all be lumped together, most are hard working and want to contribute. Giving people 2 years to right their ship and try and find new work is enough. And expecting one day a week volunteered to the community after this period if they are unfortunate enough or lazy enough to still be unemployed is not asking much.

antoobrien wrote: »
    fyp

Considering about 75% of the workforce earn 36k or less do you really think all those in employment can afford to give away up to €13/14 k (approx half the take home).

I suggest you think about that one again.

Sure all ye need to live on is 180 euro a week isnt it, and still maintain a lavish lifestyle as some here would have ye believe

• Advertisement

The employed pay tax. Tax goes to pay for things like state debt and social welfare. I'm not complaining. I'm happy to pay tax, and I'm lucky to be working. If be happy paying more tax because I believe in strongly supporting the state but I don't want that tax to be wasted. Where I see it wasted (amongst other areas) is paying high welfare indefinitely with no requirement of civic duty or real effort. Unemployed people can't all be lumped together, most are hard working and want to contribute. Giving people 2 years to right their ship and try and find new work is enough. And expecting one day a week volunteered to the community after this period if they are unfortunate enough or lazy enough to still be unemployed is not asking much.

Try living on 180 euro a week and get back to me
    High my arse, you barely survive

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BFDCH.

cristoir wrote: »
    Personal anecdotes don't really advance your argument that there is a sea of people boasting about how great life is on social welfare. For most people it is struggle and those who do rip the system would have to be stupid to boast about it within people earshot. We have a whole system set up to deal with those defrauding the system but most people aren't.
    is his point not that the system is defrauding the rest of us who are working?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BFDCH.

what do you have to pay out from that?

do you get rent allowance?

is there anything provided for bills from the government?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

180e is more than enough for a single person to live on if they manage that 180e correctly and don't "mis-spend"

why would an unemployed person require 800eish a month?

BFDCH. wrote: »

what do you have to pay out from that?

do you get rent allowance?

is there anything provided for bills from the government?
    money for bills ? I wish . I pay out bills , mortgage foods , fuel and everything else

puffishoes wrote: »
    Try living on 180 euro a week and get back to me as surely the

180e is more than enough for a single person to live on if they manage that 180e correctly and don't "mis-spend"

why would an unemployed person require 800eish a month?
    surely the employed would need less as they would have less free.time.to spend

money for bills ? I wish . I pay out bills , mortgage foods , fuel and everything else

I wasn't aware SW payment's were given to service debt.

the SW is not set up in a way to may mortgages or any other type of debt be it credit card's or personal loan.

As I stated if not "mis-used" it's more than enough for a single unemployed person to get by.

why would an unemployed person have more free time?

y they're active looking for work up skilling etc etc, or I would hope.

I wasn't aware SW payment's were given to service debt.

the SW is not set up in a way to may mortgages or any other type of debt be it credit card's or personal loan.

As I stated if not "mis-used" it's more than enough for a single unemployed person to get by.
    I was asked what I had to pay out for and did the sw pay my.bills , I answred

do you think we dont.pay our mortgages and other bills out of the only income we have ? get real

All those will require garda background checks which at the moment are backlogged to 16 to 20 weeks.

What's your point about Garda vetting? You don't need Garda vetting to cut a hedge, mow a lawn, paint a wall outside a football pitch or community centre. There are loads of things to e done if people ad the inclination and stopped using excuses to sit at home.

• Advertisement

why would an unemployed person have more free time?

y they're active looking for work up skilling etc etc, or I would hope.
    they cost money etc

What's your point about Garda vetting? You don't need Garda vetting to cut a hedge, mow a lawn, paint a wall outside a football pitch or community centre. There are loads of things to e done if people ad the inclination and stopped using excuses to sit at home.

garda vetting was for working with the.vulnerable which you.mentioned.in your.previous.post .

paint av wall ?

take.jobs off painters ?

do you think we dont.pay our mortgages and other bills out of the only income we have ? get real

you seem to be missing the point here.

you can't mis-spend the SW and claim it's not enough. The 180e is not came up with as a figure with a mortgage or other debt's in mind.

You should not be servicing debt with SW you need to go to mabs or discuss with your creditors you can't pay out money you don't have and on SW you don't or cannot afford mortgage re-payments _and_ live at the same time. or at least most people cannot.

basic heat/clothes and food is pretty much what the 180e should get you and if used correctly it will.

Oh, you didnt say that we would give the middle class people their choice of the jobs :rolleyes:

But we are all agreed though that the people from bad neighbourhoods should be publicly shamed, right? Make them dance for your dollar, right?

Sorry I don't really understand your point. I don't really believe in the class system but whatever 'class' you are, you can be of use to your community.

they cost money etc

It doesn't cost money to read a book.

and you can get the book for free.

Come on lets not roll out all the excuses in the big book.

You know yourself it's possible.

you seem to be missing the point here.

you can't mis-spend the SW and claim it's not enough. The 180e is not came up with as a figure with a mortgage or other debt's in mind.

You should not be servicing debt with SW you need to go to mabs or discuss with your creditors you can't pay out money you don't have and on SW you don't or cannot afford mortgage re-payments _and_ live at the same time. or at least most people cannot.

basic heat/clothes and food is pretty much what the 180e should get you and if used correctly it will.
    you forgot shelter as a basic need/right and.if.I dont pay my mortgage ill loose it

they cost money etc

It doesn't cost money to read a book.

and you can get the book for free.

Come on lets not roll out all the excuses in the big book.

You know yourself it's possible.
    your clutching now

garda vetting was for working with the.vulnerable which you.mentioned.in your.previous.post .

paint av wall ?

take.jobs off painters ?

I'm not saying take jobs off painters, that's ridiculous. I'm saying to improve your local community by doing jobs that community groups can't sfford to pay someone to do eg. Painting a community centre, planting flowers outside a church that kind of thing. Making your locality look inviting to outsiders, developing a sense of community and people working together for a common goal. There is also evidence that people can become withdrawn and depressed when out of work, makes sense, I'd be the same myself. So getting out, especially in the summer would give people a sense of usefulness and pride at helping themselves and others. I think it's win win, maybe I'm wrong.

you forgot shelter as a basic need/right and.if.I dont pay my mortgage ill loose it

The SW payment is not deisgned for that. but there is rent allowances.

mortgage interest relief etc, as i said it's between your lender and you to come up with something while you're out of work.

you can't sue the SW for something it wasn't meant for and then complain it's too low.

• Advertisement

your clutching now

How do you think people generally educate themselves?

You think reading a book is beneath you? your reply is not very clear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement