Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Quint2010 wrote: »
    They beat Clongowes in the quarter finals but then lost to Terenure in the final 5-3. But the fact they had beaten Clongowes in 2009 gave them a mental edge in the final last year IMO

Oh yeah apologies, I read your post wrong. I definitely agree though, Junior Cup has a bearing on the Senior Cup, it isn't just a bunch of 14 and 15 year olds running around to quote Leinster5, the nucleus of the two teams is the same and at the moment it's psychological advantage Terenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Terenure 10 castleknock 10

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

fox_1973 wrote: »
    Terenure 10 castleknock 10

That a surprise? Was it Terenure's full team?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

That a surprise? Was it Terenure's full team?
    It was a horrible scrappy game to watch. Scoreline didn't really reflect the game as terenure were the better team, was the full team barring stephan o neill, on a brighter note, the seconds won 68 0

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RugbyMan10

Terenure score a try in the corner in the last play to get a draw.
    10-10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Clongowes drew with Michaels today. Think it finished 24-24. Got to watch most of the game with a few past pupils. Clongowes look like they've a solid backline this year, but the pack is awful compared to last years. Michaels dominated the game for most of the game, especially at set-piece, and really should of won the game if it wasn't for some silly mistakes in the last 5 minutes. Great game though! Doubt my former school will be winning it this year sadly unless they improve hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slackers88

Loads of people here are saying michaels have a very strong pack. I thought the nucleus of heir pack last year were 6th years, so what stand out players do they have in the pack this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

slackers88 wrote: »
    Loads of people here are saying michaels have a very strong pack. I thought the nucleus of heir pack last year were 6th years, so what stand out players do they have in the pack this year?

Ross Moloney,Josh Murphy,Alex Penny,James Ryan,Steve Harold,Denis Coulson,Conor Duffy will most likely make up the bulk of their forwards. Moloney and Murphy started the final last year and most of the others were on the bench i think

funtime93 wrote: »
    Ross Moloney,Josh Murphy,Alex Penny,James Ryan,Steve Harold,Denis Coulson,Conor Duffy will most likely make up the bulk of their forwards. Moloney and Murphy started the final last year and most of the others were on the bench i think

Thanks iv heard of Moloney, thought he was 6th year last year

• Registered Users Posts: 12 redsoxallday

I was at the game, they looked pretty good but should have closed it out. Worrying that they couldn't. Also I thought team selection looked very odd. Kelleher was a sub, Steve Harold was watching wearing jeans, James Ryan who I'm told is 4th year was recording the games & Denis Coulson & Adam Leavy were actually watching the game sitting on chairs. Conor Duffy wasn't playing or to be seen anywhere. Just seemed very odd not to pick some of their best players, including Ireland players. Clongowes were steely and showed great character to come back. Fromm will be a handful for all. New outhalf was just ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

I was at the game, they looked pretty good but should have closed it out. Worrying that they couldn't. Also I thought team selection looked very odd. Kelleher was a sub, Steve Harold was watching wearing jeans, James Ryan who I'm told is 4th year was recording the games & Denis Coulson & Adam Leavy were actually watching the game sitting on chairs. Conor Duffy wasn't playing or to be seen anywhere. Just seemed very odd not to pick some of their best players, including Ireland players. Clongowes were steely and showed great character to come back. Fromm will be a handful for all. New outhalf was just ok.
    the game was a friendly so the result doesnt matter that much. maybe the coach wanted to look at other players against quality opposition?
    Players who are in irish squads may have been rested ahead of the camp with the youths, schools and u19s irish squads in cork/limerick and clongowes

Well surely the players watching must of been injured ? When I asked one of the Michaels parents on the sidelines, what players were missing from the pack, he said a prop and a 2nd row. I also think we(Clongowes) were missing a couple of players yesterday.

Fromm will be a handful for all.

wow didnt know fromm had another year, him and cleary in the centre will be a serious handful for any team.They definitely lack the pack they had over the last few years to seriously challenge terenure and michaels though

• Registered Users Posts: 7 podo

RugbyMan10 wrote: »
    Terenure score a try in the corner in the last play to get a draw.
    10-10

So are knock any good this year, has the ghost awoken

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

podo wrote: »
    So are knock any good this year, has the ghost awoken

It's looking like a straight up dogfight between Michael's and the Gick, with Clongowes and 'Rock looking the best prospects to cause an upset. Beyond them I don't think anyone else is getting a look in, short of a very lopsided draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oldboy 92

It's looking like a straight up dogfight between Michael's and the Gick, with Clongowes and 'Rock looking the best prospects to cause an upset. Beyond them I don't think anyone else is getting a look in, short of a very lopsided draw.
    How is it a two horse race already? Michaels drew with Clongowes and beat Terenure well! All the talk is about the big two missing players, word coming out of Kildare is they were missing up to 5 last week v Michaels including 2 Leinster u18 panalists who played last year as 4th years. It's the Senior Cup gents, anything can happen! Could be one of the best SCT campaigns in years. Some unbelievable talent coming out of the schools at present!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Oldboy 92 wrote: »
    How is it a two horse race already? Michaels drew with Clongowes and beat Terenure well! All the talk is about the big two missing players, word coming out of Kildare is they were missing up to 5 last week v Michaels including 2 Leinster u18 panalists who played last year as 4th years. It's the Senior Cup gents, anything can happen! Could be one of the best SCT campaigns in years. Some unbelievable talent coming out of the schools at present!

Agree with the fact it depends on the draw. Last year 'Michaels got a very favourable draw (despite being very lucky in the opening round). Think their name was on the cup from an early stage. This year Terenure-despite being favourites at the start-have been very inconsistent with hammerings of Blackrock and Belvedere being punctuated with a ten points loss to 'Michaels and a last gasp draw at Castleknock. To me-'Michaels look to have the edge up front with a monster pack. Terenure's forwards while very mobile look a little lightweight particularly in the backrow. Looking forward to their game with Clongowes on November 10th. Have seen 'Rock once and they were made to look average.

I thought Terenure were meant to walk the cup this year.How have Michaels become favourites all of a sudden?Friendlies mean nothing,when the serious business starts my money would still be very much on Terenure.I dont know much about Rock or Clongowes but from what I've heard they're both more likely to win it next year(2014)

I thought Terenure were meant to walk the cup this year.How have Michaels become favourites all of a sudden?Friendlies mean nothing,when the serious business starts my money would still be very much on Terenure.I dont know much about Rock or Clongowes but from what I've heard they're both more likely to win it next year(2014)

Well a 20-10 defeat and a lucky draw against Castleknock doesn't exactly inspire confidence. 'Michaels just seem to have greater strength in depth and have six players in the Ireland U18 squad and a superb out half who kicks everything. Right now Terenure's OH Stephen O'Neill is injured but even so is a converted centre. They look like the two stand out teams. Just hope they are kept apart in the draw.

Oldboy 92 wrote: »
    Clongowes were missing 4 players last weekend, but having said that, Michaels were missing 5 starters, 4 being Leinster reps. It's clear Terenure have a very solid team, with some quality players. But as Quint says, Michaels have the best pack in the cup, and this gives them the advantage.

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    Maybe you're confusing Rory with Ross (the Michael's second row). Rory Moloney is from Roscrea and is 6'4 I think. He could develop into a blindside though, in the McLaughlin mould.

Saw Roscrea play yesterday and Moloney is much shorter than 6'4. He wasnt brilliant but he was still roscreas best player by a stretch, was expecting more to be honest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭6dsp9

Saw Roscrea play yesterday and Moloney is much shorter than 6'4. He wasnt brilliant but he was still roscreas best player by a stretch, was expecting more to be honest

ah he wouldn't be much shorter than 6'4 he's certainly 6'3 like,he looks much smaller on the pitch but if you stand beside him you realise he's much taller than he looks

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭gfitz95

Rock mus be a lot better than i hought if they can beat clongowes convincingly in clongowes..

gfitz95 wrote: »
    Rock mus be a lot better than i hought if they can beat clongowes convincingly in clongowes..

Did they? What was the score? I only saw 'Rock getting hammered by Terenure and they weren't very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

gfitz95 wrote: »

To echo Quint's sentiments, when did this happen? I'd have rated 'Rock the stronger of the two this year in fairness but from what I gather they're quite evenly matched.

To echo Quint's sentiments, when did this happen? I'd have rated 'Rock the stronger of the two this year in fairness but from what I gather they're quite evenly matched.

Still cant see either lifting the cup this year. Its a two-horse race and neither of these teams are one of them.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Did they? What was the score? I only saw 'Rock getting hammered by Terenure and they weren't very impressive.
    'Rock beat Clongowes on Wednesday. But I'm told that Clongowes were missing Fromm and a few other key players. Also very unusual to play a match on a Saturday, then have one 4 days later. Especially against 2 big schools like Michaels and Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

is that seb fromm chap still playing for clongows this year or has he gone back home to germany??looked like a hand player from seeing him on the tv last year

is that seb fromm chap still playing for clongows this year or has he gone back home to germany??looked like a hand player from seeing him on the tv last year

still playing this year apparently

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭6dsp9

in fact no you could be right there actually

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement