Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Quint2010 wrote: »
    'Rock won the Junior Cup in 2011?

They did but they were very lucky to beat a relatively poor Michaels team in the final. They had a very poor team last year and the current 6th years are fairly average too. Just think they've had a slump in quality. Nowhere near the slump that Mary's have had but a slump nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

They did but they were very lucky to beat a relatively poor Michaels team in the final. They had a very poor team last year and the current 6th years are fairly average too. Just think they've had a slump in quality. Nowhere near the slump that Mary's have had but a slump nonetheless.

A bit unfair on the 'Rock there I thought they were a solid enough outfit that year and wasn't surprised to see them win. Their Senior form has been dreadful admittedly, especially given that the '10 crop had walked the Junior Cup, but think they have plenty of quality coming up through the ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dev5976

They did but they were very lucky to beat a relatively poor Michaels team in the final. They had a very poor team last year and the current 6th years are fairly average too. Just think they've had a slump in quality.

I'm not sure if that was a poor St Michaels side they beat; Pretty certain that there's a lot of very good players in that side!

Also you have to credit Clongowes and St Michaels, and now Terenure somewhat also, on having not only excellent sides, but also the outstanding individuals in the competition over the past three or four years. 'Rock have certainly lacked individual players of the highest level in the last three years who can change the game like Leavy, the Byrnes, Quirke and Coughlan, Dardis and Brewer. I know it's a team game but its no different than Conway, Macken and Murphy making the difference in '09 with some other very good players around them also. A lot of times these things go in cycles and when a school have an excellent crop of players they are under pressure to win cup(s) as they can't necessarily see where the next one is coming from after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

A bit unfair on the 'Rock there I thought they were a solid enough outfit that year and wasn't surprised to see them win. Their Senior form has been dreadful admittedly, especially given that the '10 crop had walked the Junior Cup, but think they have plenty of quality coming up through the ranks.
    Dev5976 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that was a poor St Michaels side they beat; Pretty certain that there's a lot of very good players in that side!

Also you have to credit Clongowes and St Michaels, and now Terenure somewhat also, on having not only excellent sides, but also the outstanding individuals in the competition over the past three or four years. 'Rock have certainly lacked individual players of the highest level in the last three years who can change the game like Leavy, the Byrnes, Quirke and Coughlan, Dardis and Brewer. I know it's a team game but its no different than Conway, Macken and Murphy making the difference in '09 with some other very good players around them also. A lot of times these things go in cycles and when a school have an excellent crop of players they are under pressure to win cup(s) as they can't necessarily see where the next one is coming from after that.

I'm being harsh on Rock no doubt but just have not been impressed with their teams recently. Maybe that's just me letting my Michaels bias cloud my judgement.

Apparently Belvedere have a good JCT coming up next year so hopefully we can see them regain their glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Clongowes v Terenure Kicks off tomorrow at 1.30PM in Clongowes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Apparently Belvedere have a good JCT coming up next year so hopefully we can see them regain their glory.

Would love to see that, rugby in that school really hit rock bottom when the Js were beaten by Wesley a few year's back. Hopefully they have a good team to reignite a bit of passion from the people running the college (as things across the board have been on the slide of late)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oldboy 92

Clongowes v Terenure Kicks off tomorrow at 1.30PM in Clongowes

Is that ko time right? On the Leinster ref page for a 2.30ko

Oldboy 92 wrote: »

Not sure. With the international at half five-half two would be cutting it tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Apologies if this was posted before
    I have done a search on boards and didn't find it but it's possible I missed it

Pic from todays Daily Mail

article-2230601-15EFB342000005DC-179_964x654.jpg
    'Scrum half': Blackrock College scrum-half Conor Crowley releases the ball after a ruck, during a Division 1A All-Ireland League rugby union match against Old Belvedere, in heavy rain on 5 February 2011, at Anglesea Road, Old Belvedere's home stadium. (Picture by Ray McManus won second prize in the Sports Singles category)

Just think it's a great photo, that's all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

mikemac1 wrote: »

Just think it's a great photo, that's all :)

Yeh it was posted when he won the award I think. Great pic tho, worth the post again!

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Yeh it was posted when he won the award I think. Great pic tho, worth the post again!

Great photo-but why is it on the schools rugby thread?..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Not worth starting a new thread over just one photo

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Oldboy 92 wrote: »

Definately a 1.30 KO, originally was meant to be 2.30 but then changed

Terenure beat Clongowes 35-7

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TtomRedCM

Michaels beat Belvo 17-15

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rugby97

AFAIK 'Rock have one of their "super teams" this year that have been unbeaten since fourth class, so they should be tough to stop.

In other news, Gonzaga beat CUS at junior and senior today.

They lost by 10 to rock a few weeks ago so they're not unbeaten

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rugby97

TtomRedCM wrote: »

I can see the Semi-Finalists being Rock, Belvo, Castleknock and Michaels.

With the winners Belvo, best outfit in years and are due a cup. Last win 7 Years.

What about Newbridge?! Last years beaten finalists?

Rugby97 wrote: »

What about Newbridge?! Last years beaten finalists?

They were beaten by Castleknock, 19-18 on wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dev5976

Rugby97 wrote: »

They lost by 10 to rock a few weeks ago so they're not unbeaten

How did Rock lose by 10 to Rock???

• Registered Users Posts: 12 southsea

Newbridge castlenock rock and michaels look a good bet for jc semis hard to look past Michaels for jc.As for league i can see roscrea beating wesley to reach quarters roscrea seem to have 3 good players that carry the whole team they werent far off newbridge the last day .Cant see bray betting Gearads their not far off nock or bridge cannot see anything but a team from section a winning league the standard seems to be way higher than b .But CBC seem to have 3 very good players carrying team like Roscrea but when they face nock or bridge I dont think they have chance.

• Advertisement

southsea wrote: »
    Newbridge castlenock rock and michaels look a good bet for jc semis hard to look past Michaels for jc.As for league i can see roscrea beating wesley to reach quarters roscrea seem to have 3 good players that carry the whole team they werent far off newbridge the last day .Cant see bray betting Gearads their not far off nock or bridge cannot see anything but a team from section a winning league the standard seems to be way higher than b .But CBC seem to have 3 very good players carrying team like Roscrea but when they face nock or bridge I dont think they have chance.

You must not have gone to any of Michaels two biggest games to date between Rock and Belvo in which both they were beaten. My opinion is a Rock vs Belvo final.

fox_1973 wrote: »
    Terenure beat Clongowes 35-7

Was that the first team? If so-thats some result for Terenure.
    Michaels beat Belvo 17-15

'Michaels must have been missing alot of players. I saw Belvo a few weeks ago get hockeyed by Terenure and they were awful.

'Michaels must have been missing alot of players. I saw Belvo a few weeks ago get hockeyed by Terenure and they were awful.

Michaels actually weren't missing any players I think, Belvo dominated in the scrum and were on top for many parts of the game, also the first try Belvo conceded was very soft, not to mention that Belvo missed a kick infront of the post to win the game

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Michaels actually weren't missing any players I think, Belvo dominated in the scrum and were on top for many parts of the game, also the first try Belvo conceded was very soft, not to mention that Belvo missed a kick infront of the post to win the game

Sounds as if Michaels aren't performing at the moment, but still are managing to win games to their credit. Are you sure they had a full team out ?

First 15 as far as I know, Terenure out-classed them

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭gfitz95

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Sounds as if Michaels aren't performing at the moment, but still are managing to win games to their credit. Are you sure they had a full team out ?

Michaels were missing 5 cup starters through injury aswell as taking the oppertunity to experiment a bit with their team through resting certain key players,still were expected to win comfortably but was a second poor performance in a row by them,still got the win though when they really shouldnt have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 southsea

Michael always come good when it comes to cup .But as always in the cup there can be a few suprises depending on draw .But as the standard goes this year jct teams seem to have some great players the standard looks higher this year than ever can only bode good for future.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

gfitz95 wrote: »
    Michaels were missing 5 cup starters through injury aswell as taking the oppertunity to experiment a bit with their team through resting certain key players,still were expected to win comfortably but was a second poor performance in a row by them,still got the win though when they really shouldnt have.
    Interesting. Fairly sure Michaels are playing 'Rock in a week or 2. Will be a great game to watch, especially since nobody is exactly sure how good 'Rock are.

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Interesting. Fairly sure Michaels are playing 'Rock in a week or 2. Will be a great game to watch, especially since nobody is exactly sure how good 'Rock are.

So so far this year 'Michaels have beaten Terenure, drawn with Clongowes and narrowly beaten Belvedere. Terenure have hammered Clongowes Belvedere and Blackrock, lost to 'Michaels and drawn with Castleknock and Blackrock have beaten Clongowes. 'Marys have also beaten Clongowes. Seems 'Michaels have a few injuries and have yet to really put a score on anyone whereas Terenure seem to be playing with a full deck apart from Stephen O'Neill. I would fancy 'Michaels to beat 'Rock but depends on their injury situation as to how much by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Ar_14

So so far this year 'Michaels have beaten Terenure, drawn with Clongowes and narrowly beaten Belvedere. Terenure have hammered Clongowes Belvedere and Blackrock, lost to 'Michaels and drawn with Castleknock and Blackrock have beaten Clongowes. 'Marys have also beaten Clongowes. Seems 'Michaels have a few injuries and have yet to really put a score on anyone whereas Terenure seem to be playing with a full deck apart from Stephen O'Neill. I would fancy 'Michaels to beat 'Rock but depends on their injury situation as to how much by.

From what I have been told the 'Michaels panel is missing around 14-15 players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement