Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Hagz wrote: »
    Jesus that's a recipe for disaster. 'Night fixtures', aka Pre-drinks for the recent departures.

Also, I would expect the crowd size to significantly diminish for the night-fixtures. Which will harm the whole schoolboy tribal aspect of the games.

How will it? The supporters from the schools will still be there. The schools will still herd them there as they do currently. At least 50% of matches fall outside of school time anyway as is (post 3 o'clock kick offs, Sunday Games, Finals on Patrick's week ect).

The Branch have already tried this with the League finals in December and January and the support was there.

I'm not sure I totally agree with it but it will only increase the crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Can't see this happening. Dragging school kids out at night? Doesn't make sense.

It's received a mixed reception from the schools as far as I know. However probably will go ahead, think it's a slightly strange decision but not a disastrous one, could potentially lead to a better atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

school kids have no problem being "dragged out" at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I'd like to see it tested out at least for a season to see how it goes. I went to the junior league final between Monkstown and Roscrea last year and there was a big enough response by past pupils and the students themselves.

Could also make it easier for parents of the boys to attend who might not be able to make it due to work commitments.

Sorry just to clarify, I think these are just proposed changes, ie. not set in stone just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 knightro

Yep St. Michaels College facebook page posted today the Leinster Rugby have announced that there will now be night fixtures in the Cup and there will be a separate draw after each round. Meaning no more pre determined 'easy' draws.

Hi, I would be interested to know what a training schedule looks like for the top teams please? ie do they train before and after school? how many times a week do the squad train and what about weights? thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tomsp

Marys beat Clongowes today by a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

themont85 wrote: »
    How will it? The supporters from the schools will still be there. The schools will still herd them there as they do currently. At least 50% of matches fall outside of school time anyway as is (post 3 o'clock kick offs, Sunday Games, Finals on Patrick's week ect).

I just can't see parents allowing their kids to go to a 6.30 kick off in Donnybrook unsupervised, and I certainly don't think they'll get up off their ass to take them. I'm talking about 12/13/14 year olds here.

I may be wrong though. But even then you have the added factor of kids losing interest come the evening time. The big schools motivate the kids right through the school day, doing warm up chants with them and lashing on face-paint as they leave the school grounds. With evening kick-offs the kids won't be coming straight from school, they'll be coming from their houses. I suspect a lot of the may not be motivated to bother going.

EDIT: Of course as others have said, it could draw more of the parents and past pupils. But I prefer the kids and the all round atmosphere they provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

tomsp wrote: »
    Marys beat Clongowes today by a point

That's a shock! Surely Clongowes were missing a few players ?

And on the topic of schools games at night, I think it's a silly move and will only decrease the amount of schoolboys attending the games, which is what it's all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

knightro wrote: »
    Hi, I would be interested to know what a training schedule looks like for the top teams please? ie do they train before and after school? how many times a week do the squad train and what about weights? thanks very much

Varies but you'd be looking at about 3 pitch sessions a week (which would include matches) e.g. Monday, Weds and Sat. Skill session and team run on Thurs or Fri (if match the next day) which are generally non contact. Weights before school twice a week (some players may also have cardio or rehab sessions in the morning too). Pre-hab at lunch twice a week. A futher skills session for backs and set piece session for forwards during the week too.

Early on in the season there's usually an extra fitness session in there each week but it varies greatly school to school and coach to coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 TtomRedCM

Proposed Changes to Leinster Schools Rugby Cups.

The Leinster Schools Committee of Leinster Rugby are seeking the views of schools for the following proposals.

- An open draw to take place after each round of the Senior and Junior Cups (like the F.A Cup).

- A family ticket to be introduced and the school boy/girl season ticket will be discontinued. A discounted family ticket is proposed for two adults and two children.

-Later kick off times for some matches in Donnybrook. These games would be played under floodlights.

-The Senior Cup Final is to be moved to Friday 15th of March with a kick off time of 7pm in the RDS.

-The Tallaght Stadium will be available for Cup Matches with possibly a Double Header as another option in this venue, allowing 4 teams to play on the same day with a mix of SCT and JCT matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I see the logic in it, gives the competition a wider audience to come along and watch, would be a great experience for the players. I can see the negative side too, but I wouldn't mind them giving it a go for a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

TtomRedCM wrote: »

- An open draw to take place after each round of the Senior and Junior Cups (like the F.A Cup).

This is the most interesting part for me. The last two seasons the draw has been very lopsided. So I guess an open draw does away with "sides" of the draw and only when the semi final draw is made will you know who you could potentially face in the final. Interesting stuff. You could still however have the two favourites meeting in the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rugby97

Decided I'd get in here ahead of everyone else. My enthusiasm remains undimmed for the holy grail of schools rugby after Michael's dismissed the naysayers and trumped over favourites Clongowes in the March decider.

Schools pretty much have already started training really with their weekly weights, fitness and tip activities.

Not too much activity to comment on for the moment but we'll see more as time progresses. Feel free to comment if you want to discuss squads, coaches, opinions on the season ahead etc..

My view: Terenure favourites but 'Rock, CWC and Michael's trailing close. Mightly 'Nure team could win it for the first time since 2002.

OFF TOPIC MOD NOTE:
    Anyone looking for info or wanting to discuss Provincial Schools rugby in general may find the correct thread by clicking here.

Who would you tip for junior cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rugby97

Who would you tip to win the JCT this year?and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

dp

Rugby97 wrote: »

Don't know anything about the Junior Cup this year but Blackrock are due a cup. Michaels have a strong team as usual few great players coming through. I'm sure that Clongowes have a decent outfit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

AFAIK 'Rock have one of their "super teams" this year that have been unbeaten since fourth class, so they should be tough to stop.

In other news, Gonzaga beat CUS at junior and senior today.

AFAIK 'Rock have one of their "super teams" this year that have been unbeaten since fourth class, so they should be tough to stop.

In fairness they've been seriously underachieving in junior rugby recently given their historical dominance of the competition. If they are a good team then next year the senior cup could be going to Rock since their current 5th years are quite good too I believe.

I just can't see parents allowing their kids to go to a 6.30 kick off in Donnybrook unsupervised, and I certainly don't think they'll get up off their ass to take them. I'm talking about 12/13/14 year olds here.

I may be wrong though. But even then you have the added factor of kids losing interest come the evening time. The big schools motivate the kids right through the school day, doing warm up chants with them and lashing on face-paint as they leave the school grounds. With evening kick-offs the kids won't be coming straight from school, they'll be coming from their houses. I suspect a lot of the may not be motivated to bother going.

EDIT: Of course as others have said, it could draw more of the parents and past pupils. But I prefer the kids and the all round atmosphere they provide.

They won't be unsupervised. The Schools have to take responsibility for the kids whilst they're at the games, it's just like it is during the day games. Teachers generally stand around and amongst the crowds. Plenty of schools bus the kids to Donnybrook as is. Again, there's never an issue with Sunday games or the latter games played on Patrick's Day with atmosphere so I think you're point is a bit moot. A night game would be very exciting if you were in the school, it won't take from it.

• Advertisement

Was just going over the League there, always a good competition. In each group afaik the top team goes into the semi final automatically with 2nd and 3rd playing a "quarter final" to get there.

In the Juniors it's nearly all sown up. Group A; Casteknock walked the group, 5/5. Newbridge will qualify as runners up. Wesley and St Gerards still have a game to play each and are battling for third position. Gerards will fancy themselves with High School up next who are bottom of the group, -148 points difference.

Group B; CBC dominated this group. 5 wins from 5 and a plus 180 points difference, they're probably favourites now for the whole competition given the strength of this group. Kings Hospital are dark horses though, they played a good game vs CBC by all accounts and will fancy themselves. Gonzaga and KH are battling to decide 2 and 3 in the group with one game to play each still. KH currently lead by 1 bonus point.

Roscrea, Pres Bray and Kilkenny are all out of the competition and will be in the Fr Godfrey Cup.

Atm it looks like a CBC/Casteknock final is on the cards.

At Senior level; Casteknock are again top of group A with 4/4 with a healthy points difference. Newbridge are second with 4/5 wins. Roscrea, Pres Bray and Wesley are battling for third position. St Gerards are bottom of the group with no win, a surprise really but it was inevitable they couldn't keep up their good Cup form of recent years.

Gonzaga top Group B. CBC are in second place with 2 less bonus points. CBC have beaten Gonzaga but had a surprising loss yesterday vs St Andrews away. Gonzaga and CBC will qualify, Kings Hospital and Kilkenny are battling for third place. Andrews are 1/4 and are out of it but can count themselves unlucky. They beat CBC and lost 2 games vs Gonzaga and KH by just a score. Andrews will fancy a good Vinny Murray Cup run I suspect.

Castleknock are heavy favourites for seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

In fairness they've been seriously underachieving in junior rugby recently given their historical dominance of the competition. If they are a good team then next year the senior cup could be going to Rock since their current 5th years are quite good too I believe.

'Rock won the Junior Cup in 2011?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

They won't be unsupervised. The Schools have to take responsibility for the kids whilst they're at the games, it's just like it is during the day games. Teachers generally stand around and amongst the crowds. Plenty of schools bus the kids to Donnybrook as is. Again, there's never an issue with Sunday games or the latter games played on Patrick's Day with atmosphere so I think you're point is a bit moot. A night game would be very exciting if you were in the school, it won't take from it.

All right, fair enough. By the sounds of it, i had a very different match day experience in my school. Sure we'll see how it pans out. Hopefully you're right.

All right, fair enough. By the sounds of it, i had a very different match day experience in my school. Sure we'll see how it pans out. Hopefully you're right.

I'm not saying it's a brilliant idea. I enjoyed the whole buzz of going to school on a Cup day and the build up then onto the match. If the night games are something like the Sunday ones; ie not regular, then the buzz remains. It's something different.

From the Branch's POV I can understand why they are looking at changing the final time. The last really well attended final was Blackrock-St Michaels final (the last one in LR). The competition needs to be spiced up a bit. A few years ago there wasn't a lot of top class rugby on in Ireland and it was the clubs/schools who got the attendances. The different rounds of the Cup attendances are holding up pretty well but the finals have gone down. The SC final was one where people even not associated with one of the schools wanted to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 John sergeant

Just heard Marys beat Clongowes yesterday. Dont think clongowes were missing many. Marys were missing 3 or 4. Marys also had 9 5th years and a 4th year playing for them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

Was just going over the League there, always a good competition. In each group afaik the top team goes into the semi final automatically with 2nd and 3rd playing a "quarter final" to get there.

Roscrea, Pres Bray and Kilkenny are all out of the competition and will be in the Fr Godfrey Cup.

The top 4 teams in each section go through to quarter finals so Roscrea are definitely not out of it yet. They would be fancied to beat Wesley in the last game and it isn't beyond all belief that Pres Bray would beat St Gerard's in a local derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TtomRedCM

I can see the Semi-Finalists being Rock, Belvo, Castleknock and Michaels.

With the winners Belvo, best outfit in years and are due a cup. Last win 7 Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ar_14

Pretty sure they have lost some games since fourth class but still a very good record. Michaels, rock and dark-horses Belvo are favorites apparently

milosh wrote: »
    The top 4 teams in each section go through to quarter finals so Roscrea are definitely not out of it yet. They would be fancied to beat Wesley in the last game and it isn't beyond all belief that Pres Bray would beat St Gerard's in a local derby.

Oh it's changed so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭gfitz95

Michaels are playing belvo in michaels this saturday at 2.30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement