Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Morning all. How are we today? Fell asleep texting bf last night. Woke up with the phone in my hand.. :o

Off for a walk now.
    Enjoy your walk!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have awoken with some sort of sinus plague :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

Thanks everyone. I'll be grand, I'm worried about my dad because he hasn't really taken it very well, he's going down today to see everyone though (they're all in Northern Ireland) so I think that'll help him. He went to see him on Monday night and apparently he was in lovely humour and quite calm so I think knowing that he went peacefully will be a great help to him too. I'm not sure yet if the funeral will be tomorrow or Friday, we'll all be heading down to that. :(

I had a really vivd dream last night that I was in Paris, when I woke up I was lying in bed without opening my eyes for a few minutes planning what I'd do today and where I'd explore but as soon as I opened my eyes I realised I was still in Ireland. It was the most realistic dream I had in a while and there were so many layers to it, it's definitely going in the dream diary!

My hand is doing a lot better today too, it still looks awful because of the bruises and stuff but I can use my hand a little now without it hurting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have had a headache since yesterday that is blowing any other headache I have ever had out of the water.
    I'm sweating but cold at the same time.

I'm always paranoid about headaches coz my family has a history of tumours and hemorrhages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

It depends on where the sorting office is. IIRC, post from Sligo gets sorted in Athlone. So if you post a letter in Sligo to your next door neighbour, it goes to Athlone and then comes back...

I once sent a letter from the postbox in college to a scholar who lived on campus by not only passing his apartment to get to the postbox but also passing him on the way. Once I put it in the box I realised I could have just given it to him or dropped it in his apartment rather than have it go to the sorting office and be distributed normally, we had great laughs over that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Sorry for your losses WinterSong and DasKitty.
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    I have had a headache since yesterday that is blowing any other headache I have ever had out of the water.
    I'm sweating but cold at the same time.

I'm always paranoid about headaches coz my family has a history of tumours and hemorrhages.

That's like me and clots, history of them in our family, when I was on the pill and on any flights I used to be convinced I'd get DVT, still a bit antsy on long flights, no matter how much moving I do. I know you can get clots at any time but the flights ups the stress in my head. When I was very fragile after being bullied in work I was flying to Vegas, by the time we got to New York to transfer flights I had a full blown pain and numbness down my right leg, completely invented by my brain, was freaking out.

Acoshla wrote: »

That's like me and clots, history of them in our family, when I was on the pill and on any flights I used to be convinced I'd get DVT, still a bit antsy on long flights, no matter how much moving I do. I know you can get clots at any time but the flights ups the stress in my head. When I was very fragile after being bullied in work I was flying to Vegas, by the time we got to New York to transfer flights I had a full blown pain and numbness down my right leg, completely invented by my brain, was freaking out.

As if flying isn't stressful enough as it is!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

@ bluewolf.

Those courses! :eek:

Sent the links to Mike and he's signed up for two now. I'm going to be a good girl and only choose one. Greek and Roman Mythology probably. I'm very interested in mythic structure since I've been writing. The hero's journey and all that. It would be nice to do some structured learning about it.

I did some cryptography in college. It was interesting and I didn't find it too hard, you should go for it. And sure if it's too much you haven't lost anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Das Kitty wrote: »
    @ bluewolf.

Those courses! :eek:

Sent the links to Mike and he's signed up for two now. I'm going to be a good girl and only choose one. Greek and Roman Mythology probably. I'm very interested in mythic structure since I've been writing. The hero's journey and all that. It would be nice to do some structured learning about it.

I did some cryptography in college. It was interesting and I didn't find it too hard, you should go for it. And sure if it's too much you haven't lost anything.

:D
    I love mythology too. I loved the greek ones in school, and loved the indian ones after. I will hopefully try to work some in when I write that feckin box novel

okay, once my exams are over in sept, i might sign up for one! yay! :D

it's awesome isn't it

i was kind of considering signing up for the lunchtime kettlebell classes in the wild geese gym near here ;s

And then there was the time when I was in said awful job I was being bullied in, whatever way I brushed off my right thigh it really hurt, I thought "Ow, did I bruise it?". Very gently touched where the searing pain was and found a lump :eek: An agonising rock hard lump. Called my mum, she said leave it for the day and see how it is tomorrow, then my leg genuinely started to go numb and tingly from my thigh down on the drive home, so she was like "Ehh, go to doctor so"!

Went to doctor, convinced it was a clot and I was dying, turns out it was a severe lipoma, as the doctor said an "excruciatingly painful example of one". Totally minor, but very painful! I was never as relieved in my life.

Incidentally it was caused by sitting for too long wearing very skinny jeans :rolleyes: The second time in a year they landed me at the doctors! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

cynder wrote: »
    Hard night at kickboxing last night, couldn't walk up or down the stairs, muscles in legs were shaking. It was a great session though, pushing harder now trying to build up my fitness and strength for hell and back in October....

whats hell and back ?:)

Ruh-roh.

I made the mistake of telling someone I'd look at a short story they'd written (outside of boards before anyone starts guessing!). They sent it on this morning and nothing at all happens in it. It's basically just two people who are going out having an inane chat and flirting with each other. 5K words of it and by the end you still have no idea what the characters are about other than they quite like each other. And it's mawkish; my eyes kept rolling of their own accord.

Now I have to tell the person what I thought and I don't know what to say. I can't even give feedback on grammar as it's pretty-much perfect in that regard.

halp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Sorry to hear about your losses Wintersong and Das *big hugs*.

I may have gone for coffee with someone at 5.30pm and not gotten home until 5.30am.... very random evening :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ruh-roh.

I made the mistake of telling someone I'd look at a short story they'd written (outside of boards before anyone starts guessing!). They sent it on this morning and nothing at all happens in it. It's basically just two people who are going out having an inane chat and flirting with each other. 5K words of it and by the end you still have no idea what the characters are about other than they quite like each other. And it's mawkish; my eyes kept rolling of their own accord.

Now I have to tell the person what I thought and I don't know what to say. I can't even give feedback on grammar as it's pretty-much perfect in that regard.

halp.

I suppose you could be polite about it somehow
    like... i don't get where it was going, i don't quite get the point, needs something to actually happen...
    duno :D

that or just be blunt and say: "It's basically just two people who are going out having an inane chat and flirting with each other."

for stuff i've reviews for boardsies i've politely torn things to shreds where necessary
    they want honesty and get it
    "this has way too much description/xyz" "this part makes no sense"
    duno if your friend will handle it or not though, you'd know best

Ruh-roh.

halp.

How about "Something's missing...oh yeah...the GOOD BITS!" :p

"don't quit the day job anyway"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Loads of hugs for Das and Wintersong xx

Bluewolf, thank you for the link :) At least if I don't get into any of the courses I want I'll have enough to keep me busy for ages,

So sick today, hiding on the sofa under a duvet for the day

Ruh-roh.

halp.

My sister does book reviews on her blog. Sometimes she gets advanced reader copies and is asked to review them from the author. She hates when the book is crap coz she feels mean when she's reviewing them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

OMG I want the puppy!!! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sorry to hear about your losses Wintersong and Das *big hugs*.

I may have gone for coffee with someone at 5.30pm and not gotten home until 5.30am.... very random evening :P

There the best kind to be honest

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Phone has now decided not to want to open messages! :mad:

Going to go through that site with free courses - found another site called openculture that looks similiar but has more courses as far as I can see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Woke up with The Coldsore That Ate The World this morning. So annoyed, as I have a date tomorrow night. I never even felt it coming; went to bed absolutely fine, woke up with what looked like extremely localised filler in my bottom lip.

I'm in a major huff now.

Ha ha!

I think I'll tell her that the message wasn't clear and could she tell me what it is so I can give her pointers on clarifying it.

Who knows, it could be a comment on the inanity of life...?

It's like when you sit on the train and the couple across from you are talking, but it's so boring that you stick in your headphones and look out the window. Then again you don't need to know anything about storytelling to have a bestseller these days.

She has taken grammar corrections very badly in the past from other people, so I reckon I was high when I agreed to this. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Fell while I was out walking earlier.. Ouchie. At least nobody saw me.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Agreed to let my best friend who is a beauty therapist in training practice intimate waxing on me. On the bright side, will be able to thwack her with my heavy cast if she hurts me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

WinterSong wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I'll be grand, I'm worried about my dad because he hasn't really taken it very well, he's going down today to see everyone though (they're all in Northern Ireland) so I think that'll help him. He went to see him on Monday night and apparently he was in lovely humour and quite calm so I think knowing that he went peacefully will be a great help to him too. I'm not sure yet if the funeral will be tomorrow or Friday, we'll all be heading down to that. :(

Hope you'll be okay for the funeral WS. It will be tough for your dad, but at least his last memory of your uncle is one of him in good spirits. The last time I saw my uncle before he died (cancer), he was doing his best to cheer us up but he was so weak; knowing he was losing the battle was taking its toll on him mentally too.
    *Hugs*

There is no nice food in my house and it's too miserable outside to go to the shops ...#firstworldproblems

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

8 badminton players have been disqualified from the Olympics cos they tried to through their group games - delighted

very disappointed for Eoin Rheinisch, missed a gate completely :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

very disappointed for Eoin Rheinisch, missed a gate completely :(:(

Heartbroken for him, he'd been going so well in previous rounds :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement