Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

lucyfur and acoshla have given me some ammunition for the onslaught myself and my bf have been getting recently. We're 3 years together so people either lead with "when are you going to get married?" or "when are you going to have a baby?" I've started pretending I'm one of those people who treats their dogs as their babies just to shut them up, may now use "not the way we do it" :P :D
    God I would never ask the baby question, I wonder why so many people have so little tact! Really gets me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    One of my ex's just got married to one of my friends. They live in another country and I have lost touch with them but still can't believe I didn't know it was happening.

Doesn't bear thinking about! I would hate that.

dfx- wrote: »
    Yes indeed...but in times of cuteness it is important to remember the story earlier in the thread about a baby coming out sideways.

Sideways. SIDEWAYS :eek:
    Pancake popped out after only 15 minutes of pushing...and thanks to the miracle of epidural (I'll take ALLLLLL the drugs, thanks) I didn't feel a thing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    I'll try. I'm going in to Portlaoise to talk to people about the college situation. I can't be at home anymore, the atmosphere is so cold and it's really hurtful.

Jane, why don't you speak to your mum about all of this. Tell her how you feel, remain calm while you do it and don't shout. Or, write her a letter. She might not know how you're feeling and probably thinks she's doing whats best for you. Sounds like everyone is frustrated and under pressure, so many adults in one house like that is really hard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

EmilyO wrote: »
    Yeah it really is crazy how much hard work and study is involved in entering the legal profession - it justifies lawyers' wages :D

Yeah no it doesn't.

They don't all get as much as you think they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

@RQ - I tried and she wouldn't listen. If things don't improve I'm going to try the letter, thanks. Also, good luck today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Yeah it really is crazy how much hard work and study is involved in entering the legal profession - it justifies lawyers' wages :D

Yeah no it doesn't.

Well that's your opinion. Admittedly it is a profession associated with greed. But to do well in law is extremely difficult when one doesn't have family connections (like me), so it could take me years of dogsbody work and accumulating debt to get to a decent position. I'm interested in human rights advocavy; which can benefit people if I work hard enough to do my job right.

I'm not interested in an argument btw, I just felt that your comment warranted a reply.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Yeah no it doesn't.

Well that's your opinion. Admittedly it is a profession associated with greed. But to do well in law is extremely difficult when one doesn't have family connections (like me), so it could take me years of dogsbody work and accumulating debt to get to a decent position. I'm interested in human rights advocavy; which can benefit people if I work hard enough to do my job right.

I'm not interested in an argument btw, I just felt that your comment warranted a reply.

To add to this, even with connections it's hard work to do well. Not to mention the huge debt a trainee has to put themselves in to qualify while working on little to no money. And then there's the hours. No lawyer works a 40 hour week and that's it, all work huge hours and won't get overtime for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I actually had 8hrs sleep last night, so this is what not feeling like a zombie at work is like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

good luck today rq

feel like rubbish today, vitamins are now taken...

• Advertisement

I'm miserable at the moment. I'm tired of fighting. I'm trying to change it but I have no idea what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm miserable at the moment. I'm tired of fighting. I'm trying to change it but I have no idea what to do.

Move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I'm not having an argument either to be fair. All I'm saying is that as you know the law profession is not the only one where people work very hard and in most other cases come out with a lot less money.

I attended a tcd law party a few years ago where was shocked by the attitude of SOME of the students. One guy told me what I did was of no real relevance as his was the only field that mattered. His main argument being that he was going to earn a hell of lot more than me.

I was recently told on boards that unless you're getting paid it doesn't count, which really is highly insulting. I work 60+ hours in something that I love for very little money as do a lot of people including the 1000's of volunteers.

I'm not saying you don't have a right to paid well at the top, that's the level it's set at.

Just maybe I'm talking umbrage at the word justify.

Move out.

That's what I'm trying to do?

That's what I'm trying to do?

Do it quicker? You don't have to wait till you start college you could move out next week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Polloloca wrote: »
    Awkward moment awkward when you recognise real life people from the photo thread. *dons fake moustache, sunglasses, trench coat and asks you all to read my posts with a forgien accent*

I knew there was someone shady following me the other day

Do it quicker? You don't have to wait till you start college you could move out next week.

Where? And with what money? If you can tell me somewhere for free that doesn't requite a deposit of any kind I'm all ears. It's not that simple.

Where? And with what money? If you can tell me somewhere for free that doesn't requite a deposit of any kind I'm all ears. It's not that simple.

You get the dole right ?

You get the dole right ?

Yes.

I'm not rushing into something like this.

So you get what 188e a week? You could easily rent a room and still have money left over.

Not rushing? You are always saying what a toxic environment you live in and people here always tell you to move out.

It's not like the atmosphere has just developed over weekend - it's been on going for some time now.

What about moving into your boyfriends place? He spends a good bit of time with you in your home so why not go to his more often?

I had a similar problem in my house and I moved out. Couldn't really afford to eat well but I didn't care. I was out.

• Advertisement

So you get what 188e a week? You could easily rent a room and still have money left over.

Not rushing? You are always saying what a toxic environment you live in and people here always tell you to move out.

It's not like the atmosphere has just developed over weekend - it's been on going for some time now.

What about moving into your boyfriends place? He spends a good bit of time with you in your home so why not go to his more often?

I had a similar problem in my house and I moved out. Couldn't really afford to eat well but I didn't care. I was out.

No, €144 because I'm not over 24. Look if you're not happy with what I post, the just press ignore instead of attacking me. I am trying to move out, that's what going to college is about aside from the fact that the course will look great on my CV. Everything isn't always black and white for me or maybe you're just stronger than I am. I'm doing my best and if you're not happy with it I don't really care. As soon as September comes I'm gone.

I'm sick of trying to explain myself. It's meant to be a chat thread but you don't have to reply to every single little thing I post. I'm starting to understand all the closed accounts now.

No, €144 because I'm not over 24. Look if you're not happy with what I post, the just press ignore instead of attacking me. I am trying to move out, that's what going to college is about aside from the fact that the course will look great on my CV. Everything isn't always black and white for me or maybe you're just stronger than I am. I'm doing my best and if you're not happy with it I don't really care. As soon as September comes I'm gone.

I'm sick of trying to explain myself. It's meant to be a chat thread but you don't have to reply to every single little thing I post. I'm starting to understand all the closed accounts now.

Excuse me? I'm just trying to help you. I'm not attacking you.

And how dare you imply that I am the cause of other people closing their accounts. Bad form Jane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Excuse me? I'm just trying to help you. I'm not attacking you.

And how dare you imply that I am the cause of other people closing their accounts. Bad form Jane.

Don't think she was implying that at all. I think the point Jane is trying to make is that this is a chat and OT thread, to post about whatever is going on in your life, when people post here it doesn't necessarily mean they are looking for a response, just somewhere to get things off their chest and if someone is bothering you just stick them on your ignore list and you won't have to see what they're posting about.

For what it's worth I think some of the posters on this thread (not directing this at you SB) are unnecessarily harsh with Jane. Yes, she has a hard time at home and yes, there may seem to be a very easy solution to some of you but constantly telling her what she should be doing is the same as (what you perceive as) her constantly talking about the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

In fairness to Jane, she has taken big steps towards moving out and going back to college in September so I think it's only fair to cut her some slack.

Dolorous wrote: »
    In fairness to Jane, she has taken big steps towards moving out and going back to college in September so I think it's only fair to cut her some slack.

And fair play to her.

I did also suggest staying in her boyfriends house more often as to get away from that environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I want my friggin phone back NOW!

*wails like a baby*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I feel like I'm living with a 14 year old. Himself has taken a shine to Jessie J :rolleyes: Her music is woeful :(

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I want my friggin phone back NOW!

*wails like a baby*
    What happened to your phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

What happened to your phone?

I left it in a friend's apartment yesterday morning and they were working overnight last night so I couldn't get it back. Want to go over for it at lunch today but they're not answering their own phone now, the baxtards...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I'm finished work for the day *happy dance*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement