Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Oh god, the voice of that woman presenting the programme on tv3 at the moment has a really annoying voice. I think her name is Maura something. The remote is waaaaay over there!

the voiceover people on tv3 are appalling, I'd love a crack at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Niamh from fair city seems to do like all the voice overs on rte!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

EmilyO wrote: »
    We used to get the whole 'I better get an invite to the wedding' thing as well; I just found it funny! I'm only 20, they'll be waiting a good ten years for that invitation!

I was at my friend's (who is only 22!) wedding last weekend and there were so many young, as in early 20s, married couples! It was so scary! And when everyone heard how long my boyfriend and I have been together (5 and a half years!*) they all assumed that we were thinking about marriage and were fairly shocked to hear that we'd be waiting another 5/10 years before we even plan on thinking about it!

Luckily I don't get the same reaction here but things have been said before though I think they'd all be shocked if I did get married this young!

*I don't think I realised how long that was! I wrote down 4 until I had to recount!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Honey-ec wrote: »
    My friend caught her postman red-handed just posting the "We tried to make a delivery but missed you" card through her door when he hadn't even taken the box out of the van. She'd suspected him of doing it loads of times, so her glee when she finally caught him was quite something to behold.

In fairness, our postman is sound out, always has been really - if there is a package to be delivered, he normally sticks it into the old car at the corner of the house.
    Um, so, you know how I was on about Richard Schiff being in Galway last night?

I met him while I was in town about an hour ago. He walked past me on the street and I almost didn't say anything, because he was with his family, but I stopped him, said hello and shook his hand. Chatted very briefly about Galway (I apologised for the weather as it's pissing rain today!) and he said he's enjoying his time here, that everyone is really friendly (by which he probably meant completely nuts!).

I haven't stopped squeeeeeeeeeing since :D

I'm so jealous!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Did you get an autograph??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I'm so jealous!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Did you get an autograph??

Nah. No picture either. It wouldn't have been appropriate I felt. I felt bad enough accosting the guy while he was walking down the street on his holiday :o

I just hope I don't get a bump on the head anytime soon, memory is the only proof I have! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I have no idea who Richard Shiff is :o

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Nah. No picture either. It wouldn't have been appropriate I felt. I felt bad enough accosting the guy while he was walking down the street on his holiday :o

I just hope I don't get a bump on the head anytime soon, memory is the only proof I have! :p

I'd have had a season of the West Wing behind my back for him to sign :p I'd have asked him very nicely, if he wouldn't really mind to sign something for me, and thank him profusely afterwards :D In case you'd want to try and write him a letter, and say, I met you in Galway on 9th July, and didn't feel it appropriate to ask you for an autograph, you can write to him via these address http://www.fanmail.biz/56170.html

And now that he is in the Criminal Minds spin off, its all good :D

Acoshla wrote: »
    I have no idea who Richard Shiff is :o

Toby from the West Wing

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0771493/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Spiderman is awesome!! :D

[Mammy Rant]

And my mam is a psycho! :mad: she flew off the handle a few mins ago when i said i closed my bedroom window earlier. And she goes into this big rant saying how i have forbidden her from going into my room and that its her house and she can go into whatever room she wants! I never said such a thing and told her she's putting words in my mouth! So now shes in a huff bitching and moaning about me to dad!

Im getting so sick of living with her! I dont know how i can stick living with her for a year without trying to kill her!! Im getting so sick of her switching from hot to cold all the time!

[/Mammy Rant]

I'd have had a season of the West Wing behind my back for him to sign :p I'd have asked him very nicely, if he wouldn't really mind to sign something for me, and thank him profusely afterwards :D In case you'd want to try and write him a letter, and say, I met you in Galway on 9th July, and didn't feel it appropriate to ask you for an autograph, you can write to him via these address http://www.fanmail.biz/56170.html

Haha, that's mad!

I'm ok with just having met him, I think ;)

Acoshla: If you haven't seen the West Wing - watch it! I can lend you the box-set (if you take good care of it :) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Didn't have the best day and now I've been stung by a wasp. There's a nest of them in the bbq out the back and the landlord (who was here 5 minutes before said stinging occurred and said he'd sort it last week) hasn't gotten rid of it yet. Not amused. :mad:

Edit: And I just found out my grandmother is in the hospital. 2,000 miles away. Great. Just great. :(

20 Hours in America - Toby lost the bet with Josh and had to say it for the whole day - got forgotten by the motorcade in Indiana and had to rely on Donna to get them home, showed how highly intelligent people have little common sense, think the most poignant part of the episode is the speech after the pipe bomb, "the streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight"

Yeah, I'm kinda a big fan :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Means nothing to me, haven't seen the West Wing, I feel I wouldn't like it but that's based on nothing really :p

Squee I'm all excited, two of my best friends and me are all getting married 6 months apart next year (them both at the start of the year, me after), none of us were engaged this time last year so it's mad that we're all planning together. So much fun, even my boyfriend has gotten into googling venues to help the latest additions to our little group, team effort! :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,572 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I was at my friend's (who is only 22!) wedding last weekend and there were so many young, as in early 20s, married couples! It was so scary! And when everyone heard how long my boyfriend and I have been together (5 and a half years!*) they all assumed that we were thinking about marriage and were fairly shocked to hear that we'd be waiting another 5/10 years before we even plan on thinking about it!

Luckily I don't get the same reaction here but things have been said before though I think they'd all be shocked if I did get married this young!

*I don't think I realised how long that was! I wrote down 4 until I had to recount!

That's extremely young to get married! Tbh I think you're being far more sensible/realistic than those couples. My mum was 22 when she married my dad, but they're just very lucky it worked out. I can't imagine doing it myself like.

However, I may be guilty of planning my wedding, whenever it does occur :D

That's extremely young to get married! Tbh I think you're being far more sensible/realistic than those couples. My mum was 22 when she married my dad, but they're just very lucky it worked out. I can't imagine doing it myself like.

However, I may be guilty of planning my wedding, whenever it does occur :D

They were all English and American hardcore Christians and I suppose that it's normal for their circles. Though we did come across one guy who was giving out about how ridiculous it was that his 22 year old sister was already married but then he wasn't a "believer" though his family didn't know that!

I've heard so many comments from people here about my friend getting so young (one girl got very bitchy about it which I wasn't impressed by) but for her it is normal I guess. I can't say that I'd ever dream of doing the same but I know she's happy and they really are madly in love.

Still, I'm going to be at least 30 before I get married! If nothing else, because my career won't really give me that option until then!

awec wrote: »
    West Wing is probably one of the best TV shows ever made.

One of my favourite scenes:

Also the one where Toby finds out they want to nominate Mulready for Associate Chief Justice US Supreme Court. :D

Thats 20 hours in America as well - was a two part show :D

That was a great reaction : That the episode Supremes I think that they had Evelyn Baker Lang as window dressing :D Glenn Close to everyone else

Couple of favourite Toby moments - "I didn't realise babies come with hats :D" and the episode that may or may not be Debate Camp or the episode after it, where the whole staff wind Toby up that the president is shaky on his answers for the debate - completely wound him up :D

They were all English and American hardcore Christians and I suppose that it's normal for their circles. Though we did come across one guy who was giving out about how ridiculous it was that his 22 year old sister was already married but then he wasn't a "believer" though his family didn't know that!

I've heard so many comments from people here about my friend getting so young (one girl got very bitchy about it which I wasn't impressed by) but for her it is normal I guess. I can't say that I'd ever dream of doing the same but I know she's happy and they really are madly in love.

Still, I'm going to be at least 30 before I get married! If nothing else, because my career won't really give me that option until then!

Ah that makes more sense. When I was in college the first time, a 22 year old married couple from Tennessee (I think) lived in a 'couple' apartment on campus. They wouldn't want to be getting divorced, both in college together in a foreign country like.

But I guess it's not for anyone else to judge, if they're happy then let them away. Still, I hope they don't become another statistic. I'm going into the legal profession too; it'll be career first for a long time for us! But at least when the time comes we can afford to have awesome weddings :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Awkward moment awkward when you recognise real life people from the photo thread. *dons fake moustache, sunglasses, trench coat and asks you all to read my posts with a forgien accent*

Ah that makes more sense. When I was in college the first time, a 22 year old married couple from Tennessee (I think) lived in a 'couple' apartment on campus. They wouldn't want to be getting divorced, both in college together in a foreign country like.

But I guess it's not for anyone else to judge, if they're happy then let them away. Still, I hope they don't become another statistic. I'm going into the legal profession too; it'll be career first for a long time for us! But at least when the time comes we can afford to have awesome weddings :D

I hope they won't be! They really are a great couple!

As much as I love law and the work I get to do, sometimes it really is scary how long you have to work and study for and how much it costs before you're actually even qualified! And then you have to start working your way up to partner! But we WILL do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

WinterSong wrote: »
    :D I tried to sign in as almostnever earlier, couldn't understand why the system wouldn't let me in...

I'm studying through a combination of English and French, half and half when you take into account the language classes :) So French, Public International Law and law and the corporation are through French and the others are through English. Probably going to try to take a full French courseload the second semester if I feel able for it :)

Ah that's handy, eases you into it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I had a horrible day today. Don't think tomorrow will be any better.

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    I had a horrible day today. Don't think tomorrow will be any better.

Well it won't be if you expect it not to be. Give tomorrow a chance to prove otherwise, do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I'll try. I'm going in to Portlaoise to talk to people about the college situation. I can't be at home anymore, the atmosphere is so cold and it's really hurtful.

As much as I love law and the work I get to do, sometimes it really is scary how long you have to work and study for and how much it costs before you're actually even qualified! And then you have to start working your way up to partner! But we WILL do it!

Yeah it really is crazy how much hard work and study is involved in entering the legal profession - it justifies lawyers' wages :D

I still don't know if I'll go down the barrister/solicitor route, but you seem to work so hard at your chosen path, I'm sure you'll be very successful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Today just solidified the fact that I really, really don't like Dublin, for me.

Wet feet plus a very long day (although all of the culturey stuff was epic) plus getting up at five am for this...

And now, I am wired awake. Yay.

Pancake is gorgeous Ivy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Lucyfur wrote: »
    OMG BABY PANCAKE IS BEAUTIFUL:D:D:D

Yes indeed...but in times of cuteness it is important to remember the story earlier in the thread about a baby coming out sideways.

Sideways. SIDEWAYS :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Morning all!

All the house is sound asleep at this hour and I'm up rattling around. Bubble wrapping a few bits :) For some reason it feels Christmassy (I know forbidden word at this time of year) Time to get up and dressed to work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    Morning all!

All the house is sound asleep at this hour and I'm up rattling around. Bubble wrapping a few bits :) For some reason it feels Christmassy (I know forbidden word at this time of year) Time to get up and dressed to work :)

I've given up on the summer so I'm planning out Christmas already. Getting quite excited.

One of my ex's just got married to one of my friends. They live in another country and I have lost touch with them but still can't believe I didn't know it was happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Yeah it really is crazy how much hard work and study is involved in entering the legal profession - it justifies lawyers' wages :D

Yeah no it doesn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement