Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

delw wrote: »
    mcriot29 wrote: »
    Geoff sharp was correct for past few years
    He seems to think west europe will be hit hard this winter.
    As we will see a neg Ao this year
    You can view his 2010 forecast he was correct
    http://www.landscheidt.info/?q=node/189
    What did he say about last winter?
    He has that on his site he was correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

He has that on his site he was correct

Well James Madden says he was correct so there's always the possibility he's stretching the truth :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Christmas mornings don't get much better than this, 2009..
    VKyZnl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

^^ You mean Christmas 2010? Them were the days alright :)

rc28 wrote: »
    ^^ You mean Christmas 2010? Them were the days alright :)

No 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Wow I don't remember Christmas 2009 having temps during the day of -9c! I do remember that it got really cold around New Years though and then we had the January 2010 cold spell - which we thought was something...until November and December 2010! :D

Wow I don't remember Christmas 2009 having temps during the day of -9c! I do remember that it got really cold around New Years though and then we had the January 2010 cold spell - which we thought was something...until November and December 2010! :D

Well, it didn't stay that cold for the whole day because a warm front did come up across the country.

so for later in the day it was this
    56yegl.jpg

and it snowed away in Donegal that day, so it was a nice White Christmas. :)

Yes I should correct my original post when I said it doesn't get any better than this, (the following year it was colder!)

Pangea wrote: »

Well, it didn't stay that cold for the whole day because a warm front did come up across the country.

so for later in the day it was this
    56yegl.jpg

and it snowed away in Donegal that day, so it was a nice White Christmas. :)

Yes I should correct my original post when I said it doesn't get any better than this, (the following year it was colder!)
    That pic would look even better with jean byrne in it in her leather dress lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Christmas mornings don't get much better than this, 2009..
    VKyZnl.jpg

Frezing. Not quite cold enough for two Es but still cold!

That pic would look even better with jean byrne in it in her leather dress lol
    No problem :D
    Forecast from 4th January 2010
    Mm9pAl.jpg

Su Campu wrote: »
    Frezing. Not quite cold enough for two Es but still cold!
    Oh you want colder eh?

Forecast from 21st December 2010
    Day temperature
    AesRyl.jpg

Night
    zxiUXl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

bit of FI 12_384_preciptype.png?cb=573 and depth not much12_384_uksnowdepth.png?cb=573

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Sorry lads, there's no snow there, FI or not. :pac:

jimmy.d wrote: »
    bit of FI 12_384_preciptype.png?cb=573 and depth not much12_384_uksnowdepth.png?cb=573
    Is it even poss to have snow on the frist of oct at sea level doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭srmambo

Strange, the 12Z GFS charts on Weather Online don't show the chances of snow noted on the charts you have posted.

12100112_1512.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's very rare but not impossible. There was snow at low levels in England on 20th Septermber 1919.

Rrea00219190920.gif

But those GFS charts on the previous page do not show any snow, only rain. The air temps are 8 to 12 degrees there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Baibin Sneachta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Oh you want colder eh?

I screen grabbed a couple of met eireann forecasts during that spell just to keep them on record. You don't see a forecast like this everyday on their website: (from the 20th Dec 2010)
    220852.png

Met reports for midnight Christmas Eve 2010: Brutally cold everywhere:

220853.png

Epic spell of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

All this posts are getting my expectations up. Please continue.:D

I see a few trees yellowing now and the spider population seemed to have moved into my house.

Lots of spiders this year. I noticed the same in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Met reports for midnight Christmas Eve 2010: Brutally cold everywhere:

220853.png

I remember going to work with my brother, car door was frozen shut ! , Coming homes aswell too! , had to get deicer and all ha. -12 i remember the car saying it was outside. Nice and cool indeed! :D :pac: ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Joe Bastardi@BigJoeBastardi
    UK beware. a heck of a winter is lurking. Water temps resemble what is going on around Alaska pic.twitter.com/EKZBoarx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

And then the big thaw on 26th Dec 2010, went from -12C in south Dublin overnight to +12C. The massive icicles came crashing down that evening, and about 15 inches of lying snow and ice snow just dissappeared :eek:

Min wrote: »
    UK beware. a heck of a winter is lurking. Water temps resemble what is going on around Alaska pic.twitter.com/EKZBoarx
    Whats water temps in alaska got to do with us having a cold winter , does that mean a neg nao or what is joe b saying

36ar24.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Joe B got the Winter spot on over Europe last year! He predicted the worst of the cold over Eastern Europe and down into Greece and it happened! He singled out Ireland and that also happened!

pad199207 wrote: »
    Joe B got the Winter spot on over Europe last year! He predicted the worst of the cold over Eastern Europe and down into Greece and it happened! He singled out Ireland and that also happened!

Im not saying hes gonna be wrong..... its more of a " SUrely you cant be serious!? " haha

Ye he got last year pretty well covered, but for the US he kept going topsy turning on his thoughts. But ye, i certainly rather him saying that than the opposite! ha

Iancar29 wrote: »
    pad199207 wrote: »

Im not saying hes gonna be wrong..... its more of a " SUrely you cant be serious!? " haha

Ye he got last year pretty well covered, but for the US he kept going topsy turning on his thoughts. But ye, i certainly rather him saying that than the opposite! ha
    Iv heard that joe b is looking at a 2010 type event again but longer
    Piers is saying the same predicting it from nov to feb

Joe got the last two winters for Europe right in terms of where the major cold would appear as Pad said.
    I am unaware of his predictions before then.
    So for 2012/2013 it looks to be in this area again.

I look forward to what he puts out in the coming weeks and months for this part of the world.
    I think he is one of the more credible longterm forecasters.

Joe got the last two winters for Europe right in terms of where the major cold would appear as Pad said.
    I am unaware of his predictions before then.
    So for 2012/2013 it looks to be in this area again.

I look forward to what he puts out in the coming weeks and months for this part of the world.
    I think he is one of the more credible longterm forecasters.
    What has alaskas sea temp got to do with us having a cold winter

What has alaskas sea temp got to do with us having a cold winter

I think he is saying the sea temperatures are similar to those of Alaska and I guess he is predicting another severe winter for Alaska, which was exceptional last year.
    Sea temperatures to our north east seem to be the key area, but not sure on that, there are better people here to explain it than me.

• Advertisement

Btw we should delete this before the Papers see it!! ... :pac: :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement