Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I get really confused when looking through here. Can someone tell me if its looking like we are going to be getting some snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Min wrote: »
    Joe Bastardi@BigJoeBastardi
    UK beware. a heck of a winter is lurking. Water temps resemble what is going on around Alaska pic.twitter.com/EKZBoarx

I'm not a fan of Big Joe, he lets his emotions take over when it comes to hurricanes and US winter weather. However, unlike the looney UK cold rampers that have sprung up over the last few years, he is a pro met with a degree in meteorology. So it's interesting to hear what he is saying, but still take it with a pinch of salt.

DylanII wrote: »
    I get really confused when looking through here. Can someone tell me if its looking like we are going to be getting some snow?

It's the 16th of September. Nobody knows the answer to that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I found the first decent one the CFS... hehehe ;)

400374_10151190661771718_541139019_n.jpg

Back to my Nice relaxing SUnday evening... oh and back into Rant away with some fun charts :)

Mesa likes trends

Frosty Halloween anyone? :)

220908.png

220909.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I remember going to work with my brother, car door was frozen shut ! , Coming homes aswell too! , had to get deicer and all ha. -12 i remember the car saying it was outside. Nice and cool indeed! ...

I live in halfway down a housing estate that is built on a very slight incline but was enough to cause nightmares while trying to drive the car out of it, and even worse when driving back into it. Slid into the edges of pavements more than once when trying navigate corners. Not to mention wore down tyres due to the amount of spinning just trying to get up the hill which had to be replaced at a pretty cost!

Best way drive get up a incline though in icy weather is to reverse slowly up it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

IrishGurll wrote: »

Very weird article. They got the name of the website wrong first of all, it's Netweather.tv not Netwatch.tv, and I don't see anywhere on Netweather mentioning snow for Ireland in December. The only long range thing I see on Netweather is...
    Winter - An Early Look
    December
    Confidence really is very low at this stage, but looking briefly to the start of winter the current expectation is for both temperatures and rainfall to be pretty close to normal for the time of year.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=longrange;sess=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

:rolleyes:
    God, it makes me angry to read such poorly researched tripe. I don't have the energy to do it, can someone send a firmly worded email to oisin.collins@joe.ie on behalf of everyone on the weather forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

LOL :L

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Min wrote: »
    Joe Bastardi@BigJoeBastardi
    UK beware. a heck of a winter is lurking. Water temps resemble what is going on around Alaska pic.twitter.com/EKZBoarx

After he tweeted this someone asked him was he predicting a bad winter in UK this winter and he came back and said the following -

" @jakeleopold
     @BigJoeBastardi
    Not really. It's been a weird year and way too early to be certain about most things..."

Newspapers are you reading?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

I reckon this Winter will be cool but not cold. Just boring most of the time.

I wish the Winters of 2010 (January and December) would happen every year but they dont.

I think this Winter we will see a lot of wind from the Northwest so there will be some wintry showers but no prolonged cold spells.

This is just my provisional forecast but I have to start somewhere. By mid October it will be clearer. Hopefully we will have a few storms to liven up the season.

The rest of September looks fairly boring with just cool nights and some rain but nothing out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

pauldry wrote: »

I'm assuming it can't be as boring as the last one - the most boring one I can ever remember. Mild,dull and dry. Which isn't all bad but this being Ireland, things tend to be balanced out over the year which meant another generally rubbish summer:(

pauldry wrote: »

I wish the Winters of 2010 (January and December) would happen every year but they dont.

I think this Winter we will see a lot of wind from the Northwest so there will be some wintry showers but no prolonged cold spells.

This is just my provisional forecast but I have to start somewhere. By mid October it will be clearer. Hopefully we will have a few storms to liven up the season.

The rest of September looks fairly boring with just cool nights and some rain but nothing out of the ordinary.

crystal-ball.jpg

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

posting in hope of good decent snow like 2010 style !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Best way drive get up a incline though in icy weather is to reverse slowly up it.

And have the lowest possible pressure in the tyres too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 scatch085

vicwatson wrote: »
    After he tweeted this someone asked him was he predicting a bad winter in UK this winter and he came back and said the following -

" @jakeleopold
     @BigJoeBastardi
    Not really. It's been a weird year and way too early to be certain about most things..."

Newspapers are you reading?
    If he said this then i find this strange as this it what he posted yesterday on his website weatherbell

The UKMET is more eastern trough... but not as much neg NAO as other modeling... but certainly is hinting at the cold. Notice also the southern jet it is developing into the southwest.

At least at this point its quite different

It is really be the way, cranking winter in the UK as most of the models are. This year I expect the Euro winter to be severe again regionally, but the west looks to be where its worst. Perhaps the 7-10 day means are a warm up for what is to come as more chill attacks england ( and of course we have the chill coming into the US.) Notice also how Nadine gets stuck int he Atlantic and a new typhoon appears to perhaps let us know whether another recurve is coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

scatch085 wrote: »
    If he said this then i find this strange as this it what he posted yesterday on his website weatherbell

The UKMET is more eastern trough... but not as much neg NAO as other modeling... but certainly is hinting at the cold. Notice also the southern jet it is developing into the southwest.

At least at this point its quite different

It is really be the way, cranking winter in the UK as most of the models are. This year I expect the Euro winter to be severe again regionally, but the west looks to be where its worst. Perhaps the 7-10 day means are a warm up for what is to come as more chill attacks england ( and of course we have the chill coming into the US.) Notice also how Nadine gets stuck int he Atlantic and a new typhoon appears to perhaps let us know whether another recurve is coming.

Mark Vogan

On twitter:
    Mark Vogan@MarkVogan
    Major heat is set to dominate ALL of W. North America from California to Alaska. Records are likely to fall much of the nxt 7 days!

Mark Vogan@MarkVogan
    As a consequence, the polar vortex will get split with very cold air dropping into 2 troughs 1) into Central USA 2) into UK/Scand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Nooooooooo....not Vogan again!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Su Campu wrote: »
    Nooooooooo....not Vogan again!!!!! :rolleyes:
    All vogan does is say what job b tweets etc , it seems vogans best friend is joe bs son

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I screen grabbed a couple of met eireann forecasts during that spell just to keep them on record. You don't see a forecast like this everyday on their website: (from the 20th Dec 2010)
    220852.png

Met reports for midnight Christmas Eve 2010: Brutally cold everywhere:

220853.png

Epic spell of weather.

indeed paddy one. it brings a tear to the eye to read through that forecast again. i remember thinking at the time, i'll be unlikely to see a forecast like it again(at least not until later this year,hopefully) if it does happen, i'll have no choice but to come back to Ireland:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Reading that forecast just sent a shiver down my spine!

What good times. We thought it would never happen but it did. Although maybe that's our lifetime cold spell over and done with!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mrweatherman

Just spoke to the dog there on the street and his in the same opinion that it will be a wet, very mild and boring winter like last year :-P

Jokes aside tv3 claim frost in parts thursday night rain in munster as norm sign of things to come

Jokes aside tv3 claim frost in parts thursday night rain in munster as norm sign of things to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Just been out for a few minutes in Dublin 12, it does feel very cold for this time of year...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Just been out for a few minutes in Dublin 12, it does feel very cold for this time of year...
    I hear the weather postman said it will be a normal winter this year no signs of any deep freeze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

mcriot29 wrote: »
    I hear the weather postman said it will be a normal winter this year no signs of any deep freeze

Fúck 'em! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭srmambo

Weathergossip state that the month of November will be a mild and wet month.

http://autumnireland2012.blogspot.ie/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement