Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer - Revenue Commissioners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cat_123

Just wondering does anyone have the AP Job spec that was advertised on website. I got called for an interview but a couple weeks back my laptop decided to pack it in and have lost all my files saved :(:( I would really appreciate it if someone could post it here or PM me. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

Hi Cat,

Booklet attached, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 info2012

Does anyone have the information booklet for the AO competition? Would be really grateful if somebody could upload it here. Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pabo

cat_123 wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone have the AP Job spec that was advertised on website. I got called for an interview but a couple weeks back my laptop decided to pack it in and have lost all my files saved :(:( I would really appreciate it if someone could post it here or PM me. Thanks

How many got through or did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

pabo wrote: »
    How many got through or did they say?

I heard there's about 80 called from nearly 500 candidates.

Top half from interview form a panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I heard there's about 80 called from nearly 500 candidates.

Top half from interview form a panel.
    Is that for AP?

Seems a lot for only one or two jobs??

Any ideas on numbers called for AO and / or number of vacancies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cathen1

Do you reckon there is only 1-2 AP positions?

Is it only one interview for the AP role, the information booklet mentions the possibilty of a second interview with a presentation?

Zipppy wrote: »
    Is that for AP?

Seems a lot for only one or two jobs??

Any ideas on numbers called for AO and / or number of vacancies?

No-one knows with any certainty how many jobs there is - panels typically have a life of 2 years - how many people get called from it will depend on how many people are promoted, transferred or retire from AP positions in that period. Not all vacant roles will be filled, but managers further up (Principal Officers & Assistant Secretaries) will have to argue the business case for why they need an AP...

I don't specifically know anything about the AO, but having done it previously it's pretty much the same story as above, except that AO's will be coming in to replace vacated audit AO / HEO positions.

As regards the AO's for ICT&L they'll have a specific number in mind, as it's a different kind of area.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭cmdrpaddy

info2012 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the information booklet for the AO competition? Would be really grateful if somebody could upload it here. Thanks a million!

I'd really appreciate a copy of the application form too if anyone has it.

I have more hard disk space than I know what to do with and I somehow managed to delete my copy:mad:

Just to return to an issue raised earlier on this thread, which was a suggestion from some unsuccessful applicants that there must be an anti-female bias in Revenue's recruitment process, the opposite is actually the case; having gone away and rooted around here's a few facts:

In the first half of 2010 there was a round of promotions to AP from an internal competition. 15 women got promoted, and 7 men.

Around the same time there were new AOs hired from an open competition: 11 women and 3 men.

In 2011, there were 20 promotions to HEO: 13 women and 7 men.

There was also an open AP competition: 17 women and 5 men.

There were also 5 appointments at Principal Officer level. All 5 were women.

That's 83 appointments, 61 women (73.5%) and 22 men.

Can anyone spot which way the wind is blowing?! (I'm actually after depressing myself a bit now, think I might cross-dress for my interview...!)

• Advertisement

Just to return to an issue raised earlier on this thread, which was a suggestion from some unsuccessful applicants that there must be an anti-female bias in Revenue's recruitment process, the opposite is actually the case; having gone away and rooted around here's a few facts:

In the first half of 2010 there was a round of promotions to AP from an internal competition. 15 women got promoted, and 7 men.

Around the same time there were new AOs hired from an open competition: 11 women and 3 men.

In 2011, there were 20 promotions to HEO: 13 women and 7 men.

There was also an open AP competition: 17 women and 5 men.

There were also 5 appointments at Principal Officer level. All 5 were women.

That's 83 appointments, 61 women (73.5%) and 22 men.

Can anyone spot which way the wind is blowing?! (I'm actually after depressing myself a bit now, think I might cross-dress for my interview...!)

I'm thinking sex change :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gingerhousewife

Just to return to an issue raised earlier on this thread, which was a suggestion from some unsuccessful applicants that there must be an anti-female bias in Revenue's recruitment process...

If I recall correctly that suggestion was only made by one person, not "some unsuccessful applicants". Just to clarify that I for one never suggested that, nor gave credence to the suggestion.

Out of interest...looking at another thread on here brings up this question...

Will existing public servants by be liable to start on the new reduded pay rates (reduced by 10%)
    Also I would imagine that existing public servants who are on highrer salaries than the min point of scale will not be expected to lose money and revert to a lower payscale??

Same applies to AL ??

Anyone aware of any memos on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Out of interest...looking at another thread on here brings up this question...

Will existing public servants by be liable to start on the new reduded pay rates (reduced by 10%)
    Also I would imagine that existing public servants who are on highrer salaries than the min point of scale will not be expected to lose money and revert to a lower payscale??

Same applies to AL ??

Anyone aware of any memos on this?

When I applied for the last AO role, I queried this. I was told that existing civil servants will not be classified as new . I didn't query AL, as AO leave is definitely an improvement on the leave situation for EO !!

It was PAS who confirmed this.

They also confirmed that a Higher Diploma is given the same weighting as a degree. I know its too late to apply now - but I hope that this didn't discourage ppl with hdip's from applying :)

Interview and presentation loom for AO(ICT) ... any tips people ??

Interview and presentation loom for AO(ICT) ... any tips people ??

Be concise in the presentation, as little waffle or padding as possible (if you have throwaway comments or general comments the likelihood is they'll pick you up on them and bring you away from what you want to talk about). I don't know what the topics are but it should have a logical flow like Problem-analysis-proposed solution. Be prepared to defend whatever conclusions you come to, consider other possible interpretations of the info you present and how you would argue that your proposal / outcome is superior.

Both the presentation and the discussion of the competences in the interview need to be approached in the context of a scarcity of resources and how results can be delivered in an environment of scarce resources; ie try to show awareness of the bigger picture, the challenges facing the organisation and how your experience & skills equip you to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Can I ask what possibly is a dumb question...why on earth would you interview 80 people? Unless there are 10-20 positions. If this is for one or two posts it is a colossal waste of time.

Be concise in the presentation, as little waffle or padding as possible (if you have throwaway comments or general comments the likelihood is they'll pick you up on them and bring you away from what you want to talk about). I don't know what the topics are but it should have a logical flow like Problem-analysis-proposed solution. Be prepared to defend whatever conclusions you come to, consider other possible interpretations of the info you present and how you would argue that your proposal / outcome is superior.

Both the presentation and the discussion of the competences in the interview need to be approached in the context of a scarcity of resources and how results can be delivered in an environment of scarce resources; ie try to show awareness of the bigger picture, the challenges facing the organisation and how your experience & skills equip you to deal with them.

Excellent advice..many thanks...
    MadsL wrote: »
    Can I ask what possibly is a dumb question...why on earth would you interview 80 people? Unless there are 10-20 positions. If this is for one or two posts it is a colossal waste of time.

There were 15 AO (ICT) positions last year...no reason to think there's only 2 this time ...and that's not including the AO(audit) positions....plus a panle is formed so if you don't immediately get called, you could get a call in 6 months 12 months etc..

MadsL wrote: »

No-one can say for certain how many positions there will be at either AP or AO level, bearing in mind that the life of the panel will be 2 years. It depends on retirements, promotions and transfers during that period and how many positions Revenue can get sanction to fill from Dept of Finance.

But there'll definitely be more than just a handful; the top X amount will be called immediately, and then those further down the panel will be called as needed over the life of the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sunshine.99

Hi I have an interview for AO audit and compliance- no presentation... any interview tips anyone?

Many thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Poly Polo

Hi

I have lost the candiated information booklet for the AO position in Audit & Compliance(dont ask me how!!) any one have a copy would really appreciate it

Thanks

Poly Polo wrote: »
    Hi

I have lost the candiated information booklet for the AO position in Audit & Compliance(dont ask me how!!) any one have a copy would really appreciate it

Thanks

I would have thought most .presentations were over by now...whEn's yours?

No its not a presentation its an interview ! is for admin officer

No its not a presentation its an interview ! is for admin officer
    Sorry I meant interview...
    Only have ICT spec doc.... Apologies

Not to worry thanks for getting back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 16 biddyfly

Not to worry thanks for getting back to me

I have somehow managed to lose my copy also, so anyone out there who does have a copy of the AO audit and compliance booklet from way back in June could they please post it here or pm it??? would greatly appreciate...

Going to have another look and if I come across it I'll post it

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Going to try and upload this:
    Apologies if it doesnt work !

Thanks really appreciate this, thought there was more on it re skills etc for job but good to read through.

Any interview tips ou there??

Thanks really appreciate this, thought there was more on it re skills etc for job but good to read through.

Any interview tips ou there??

Your form has the stuff you're thinking of I'd say: above the space where you gave the examples of the competences, it explains the several areas involved in demonstrating the competence.

Best advice I can give is try to go through each example and figure out what you need to stress when discussing it in order to tick all of the boxes for that competence.

And avoid using "we", as they need to hear about what "I" did.

• Advertisement

Anyone know when results are expected for these competitions?

Advertisement