Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB Great Electric Drive

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

People in this country have a major hard on for diesel as if it was the best thing ever, I got the Prius about 3 k cheaper with a lot less miles than I would have got a crappy 1.6 diesel of the same year.

Yep,18mpg from a Prius is very effiecent indeed.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

paddy147 wrote: »
    So Top Gear didnt prove that an M3 was actually more effiecent than a Prius?

TOP GEAR!!!

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :rolleyes:

Get real!

vinniem wrote: »

Jaysus I didn't realise the leaf was back at 30 k!

If they bring Evs into the min Vrt band A of 15% that will bump it up to 34,500 euros. Or Zoe from 16,500 -18,975 Euros or much more if the eliminate the grant!

If they had left the leaf at 25k I would have considered it in about 2 years if the job works out but not at 30 k. And adding vrt means I refuse to buy new. And I wish nobody bought new cars, that would make them get rid of vrt quick enough!

At 23% vat cars are already taxed enough.

I've actually JUST become informed that the €25k offer ended with the sales of the last of the current batch of Leaf's - the word now is that although they're back up to €30k on the Nissan website there'll be none available until about November at which point they'll be coming from the Sunderland plant in the UK and the price will indeed be remaining at €25k.

Apologies for the confusion. :o

However - the sentiment expressed in you post above mirrors my own entirely - I'd never have gone for it at €30k and I don't imagine near as many others would have either.

extremetaz wrote: »
    TOP GEAR!!!

Get real!.

Well a verified 18mpg from a Prius isnt very effiecent is it??:pac:

Well 18mpg from a Prius isnt very effiecent is it??:pac:

ah here lad - you're only damaging your own credibility at this stage.

Nobody worth listening too cites Top Gear as a reference for anything.

You gonna try sailing across the channel in a converted pickup next are ya?

Gimme a break. ROFL. :rolleyes:

anyways, 10-10 'till tomorrow.

You gonna try sailing across the channel in a converted pickup next are ya?

Gimme a break. ROFL. :rolleyes:

Says the man who agrees and thinks 2014 will see Ireland "flooded" with 2nd hand Leafs and 2018 will be the year when electric cars outsell petrol and diesel cars in Ireland..:pac:

PS-I love how you edited your post and rermoved the word "verified" from my quote.

Sneaky,but not sneaky enough..

• Advertisement

Yep,18mpg from a Prius is very effiecent indeed.:pac:

64 mpg is what I get in mine, top gear is a show for a few laughs it isn't supposed to be taken seriously! And I hardly think clarkson takes it seriously either!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

If anyone thinks that there will be more leccy cars on the road than petrol or diesel in the next 5 year,then you really are living in dream land.

And as for the Irish market being "Flooded" with 2nd hand Leafs in 2014........

I notice the person who "stated" these "facts" has now disappeared of this thread and wont answer where he is getting his "facts" from.

Are we gone all shy suddenly then????

Oh aye, you certainly put me in my place, but I've just mustered up the courage to return now. Most people with a few brain cells would have realised I was stating an opinion rather than a fact. I doubt there are many people reading thinking jesus that lad must have a time machine to know something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

That's the sort of person who is opposed to electric cars. If Jeremy Clarkson said something it must be true.

delad wrote: »
    Oh aye, you certainly put me in my place, but I've just mustered up the courage to return now. Most people with a few brain cells would have realised I was stating an opinion rather than a fact. I doubt there are many people reading thinking jesus that lad must have a time machine to know something like that!

Well its absolutely amzing how you never posted anything like IMO,I think,I rekon,possibly,maybe and so on.......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80548051&postcount=263

Yet you made a clear and precise statement with very very specific information to which you were asked to provide /tell where you got your information from.

Oh and wellcome back.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

So Top Gear didnt prove that an M3 was actually more effiecent than a Prius?

TOP GEAR!!!

Get real!

Jaysus I didn't realise the leaf was back at 30 k!

If they bring Evs into the min Vrt band A of 15% that will bump it up to 34,500 euros. Or Zoe from 16,500 -18,975 Euros or much more if the eliminate the grant!

If they had left the leaf at 25k I would have considered it in about 2 years if the job works out but not at 30 k. And adding vrt means I refuse to buy new. And I wish nobody bought new cars, that would make them get rid of vrt quick enough!

At 23% vat cars are already taxed enough.

I've actually JUST become informed that the €25k offer ended with the sales of the last of the current batch of Leaf's - the word now is that although they're back up to €30k on the Nissan website there'll be none available until about November at which point they'll be coming from the Sunderland plant in the UK and the price will indeed be remaining at €25k.

Apologies for the confusion. :o

However - the sentiment expressed in you post above mirrors my own entirely - I'd never have gone for it at €30k and I don't imagine near as many others would have either.

I thought the Sunderland plant was not producing leafs until Q2 2013? But u got this official from Nissan?

• Advertisement

I thought the Sunderland plant was not producing leafs until Q2 2013? But u got this official from Nissan?

Mornin' all.

Just reread what I got on the back of the above and you're quite correct - I'd read it wrong.

Sunderland comes online in March alright - what got me confused was that we won't be getting any more leafs here until November. These will in fact be ex japan, not the UK as previously stated.

This info is from Nissan Park West, yes.

PS-I love how you edited your post and rermoved the word "verified" from my quote.

Sneaky,but not sneaky enough..

Right - and mad_lad made exactly the same edit a post later did he?!?

You're the only one editing your posts lad - I just take 'em as I find 'em.

Right - and mad_lad made exactly the same edit a post later did he?!?

You're the only one editing your posts lad - I just take 'em as I find 'em.

I never edited that post though (post 334),if you would actually look..;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....have I stumbled on to the set of the Paddy147/Extremetaz Show, or something........ ? :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Jesus lads enough of the bickering!

Duely noted.

'pologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

I just heard last night that my sister in law was selected. Her friend works wherever they were doing the selecting for this and told her to send in a video with her application. She did and got selected.
    I've told her I want a drive in the car. Very curious about electric cars tbh. Cant wait for a spin in it.

I just heard last night that my sister in law was selected. Her friend works wherever they were doing the selecting for this and told her to send in a video with her application. She did and got selected.
    I've told her I want a drive in the car. Very curious about electric cars tbh. Cant wait for a spin in it.

Isn't that typical, I bet everyone that got selected knew someone that worked on the selection team.

I would really like to see the videos that people sent in, I bet they were laughable and the selected probably haven't got a clue about the technology.

A bit like the dealers don't know it's a bad idea to keep them plugged in all the time keeping them at 100% charge for when someone comes to test drive, something they should NOT do.

I bet those selected won't have a clue about the 80% charge function and only using that unless they absolutely do need the range.

The whole application process for the "ESB E-car ambassador" was a complete joke!

............... the selected probably haven't got a clue about the technology.

I bet those selected won't have a clue about the 80% charge function and only using that unless they absolutely do need the range.

The whole application process for the "ESB E-car ambassador" was a complete joke!

Isn't it better if folks without a clue have them for a year, they'd be nice and impartial, they expect a car, if the thing turns out to meet their needs they'll be happy with it.

You're reckoning the process was a joke based on the post here??

A bit like the dealers don't know it's a bad idea to keep them plugged in all the time keeping them at 100% charge for when someone comes to test drive, something they should NOT do....

Sure they're demo models, they always get ragged etc, par for the course, dealers couldn't give a sh1t about them probably.

Isn't that typical, I bet everyone that got selected knew someone that worked on the selection team.

I would really like to see the videos that people sent in, I bet they were laughable and the selected probably haven't got a clue about the technology.

A bit like the dealers don't know it's a bad idea to keep them plugged in all the time keeping them at 100% charge for when someone comes to test drive, something they should NOT do.

They teach them how to use them and how best to charge them.
    I dont know how many people knew people doing the selecting, but if anyone thinks that anything happens without people knowing someone they are living in ignorance. Business is and has always been done based on who you know. Better the devil you know and all that. I know its not PC, but thats what happens in all walks of life.
    I wish I had a contact in there. If i had, I would have used them for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Really? You must be reading too much MNL, as clearly Nissan has a different opinion.

September1 wrote: »
    Really? You must be reading too much MNL, as clearly Nissan has a different opinion.

The dealers don't care about how long the battery lasts and sales are more important, they dont care how long youwill get out of the battery, they don't want someone getting into the car and seeing that it's telling them they have 40 or 50 miles range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Our Nissan Leaf is plugged in when we're not using it for the rest of the day, however it doesn't start charging until midnight and when it's full, it won't start charging again no matter how long we leave it plugged in.

The dealers don't care about how long the battery lasts and sales are more important, they dont care how long youwill get out of the battery, they don't want someone getting into the car and seeing that it's telling them they have 40 or 50 miles range.

I will check my manual to confirm this piece of information ;);)
    Our Nissan Leaf is plugged in when we're not using it for the rest of the day, however it doesn't start charging until midnight and when it's full, it won't start charging again no matter how long we leave it plugged in.

If you select time that is about 30-40 minutes after your planned departure time and no start time for timer, LEAF would automatically choose such moment to start charging that would allow it to reach desired charge just before departure. That means that your batteries would spend minimal time in high SoC and as added bonus they might be slightly warmer during journey which would increase range by reducing resistance.

That's fine if you intend to use it quick enough, but leaving it charged to 100 % as dealers do all day every day is bad for the battery. Even though it never really charges 100 % as,to 4.2 volts per cell it's still a bad idea as we don't really know for sure what it is allowed to charge to.

If you don't need the range then charge to 80 % as you will get far more cycles out of the battery that way.

If you are not driving the car for over a week and more, then it must be stored at around 60 % and unplugged from the socket.

Same with gadgets, mobile phones, IPads, etc never charge to 100 % or discharge below 10 %. If you need 100 % charge then you need it and that's fine.

The more you leave in the battery top and bottom the better, sure as batteries get better this won't be much of an issue, but you got to take care of your battery now if you want it to last over 60k miles.

Again, you don't need 100 % charge then use the cars charge to 80% function it's there for a reason, and that reason,isn't energy saving, it's battery saving. If you need to go somewhere suddenly then 80 % should still get you to a fast charger.

Ok I hope this has sunk in by now!

You can check your manual all you want but nothing escapes the fact that the more you leave in the battery top and bottom the more cycles you get from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If you select time that is about 30-40 minutes after your planned departure time and no start time for timer, LEAF would automatically choose such moment to start charging that would allow it to reach desired charge just before departure. That means that your batteries would spend minimal time in high SoC and as added bonus they might be slightly warmer during journey which would increase range by reducing resistance.

Sounds like a ball ache.

I'll stick with my Diesel for now :)

That's fine if you intend to use it quick enough, but leaving it charged to 100 % as dealers do all day every day is bad for the battery. Even though it never really charges 100 % as,to 4.2 volts per cell it's still a bad idea as we don't really know for sure what it is allowed to charge to.

If you don't need the range then charge to 80 % as you will get far more cycles out of the battery that way.

If you are not driving the car for over a week and more, then it must be stored at around 60 % and unplugged from the socket.

Same with gadgets, mobile phones, IPads, etc never charge to 100 % or discharge below 10 %. If you need 100 % charge then you need it and that's fine.

The more you leave in the battery top and bottom the better, sure as batteries get better this won't be much of an issue, but you got to take care of your battery now if you want it to last over 60k miles.

Again, you don't need 100 % charge then use the cars charge to 80% function it's there for a reason, and that reason,isn't energy saving, it's battery saving. If you need to go somewhere suddenly then 80 % should still get you to a fast charger.

Ok I hope this has sunk in by now!

This is far too complicated. I want a car I can just stick on charge when i come home and leave, even for a few weeks when im away and just drive when i need to.
    I might consider an electric car when that happens. These batteries seem to need more love and care than my granny does.

While I would dearly love one I wont buy one because of that. And certainly wouldnt dare buy a second hand electric car. God knows what the previous owner has done with the battery.

This is far too complicated. I want a car I can just stick on charge when i come home and leave, even for a few weeks when im away and just drive when i need to.
    I might consider an electric car when that happens. These batteries seem to need more love and care than my granny does.

While I would dearly love one I wont buy one because of that. And certainly wouldnt dare buy a second hand electric car. God knows what the previous owner has done with the battery.

It sounds like more hassle than it actually is, really.

Just think of it like this, you have to give an engine a lot of love and very expensive love at that, between maintenance and very expensive fuel. Batteries and e.v's in general don't need anything like that kind of expensive maintenance or fuel.

Once you buy an e.v really it's not difficult to remember how to look after your battery that doesn't need anything only cheap electricity.

The leafs battery bms will do a good enough job at looking after the battery, but there are simple things you can do yourself to make sure it lasts longer.

My bike battery needs lots of love as it has no expensive bms and I've 16 cells of lipo to look after :eek:

In fact the leafs bms won't have to do much at all if the battery isn't discharged too much and it would mean faster charging assit won't have to balance all the cells.

I will have no problem buying a 2nd hand leaf as there is a device you can get from the U.S that tells you exactly what life is left in your battery, even Nissan dealers don't have anything like it. It's called a "gid" meter. The leaf itself tells you to some degree if there is capacity loss.

There are leafs with over 40 k miles now in the U.S with no issues or loss of capacity which is encouraging and with no maintenance required.

If the leaf could do 100 real miles in winter at motorway speeds I'd have one myself, but we are not far away from that and we shal see what happens next year when they switch to hitachi batteries!

There will come a day in the not so distant future where batteries will be cheap enough so worn ones can be replaced cheaply as your old one has a lot of value still.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a ball ache.

I'll stick with my Diesel for now :)

It is trouble, but in general it is less trouble overall. If you upgrade one day to turbo diesel you could find that they also have all this rituals like cool down, checking oil level, driving faster to clear DPF etc

I will have no problem buying a 2nd hand leaf as there is a device you can get from the U.S that tells you exactly what life is left in your battery, even Nissan dealers don't have anything like it. It's called a "gid" meter. The leaf itself tells you to some degree if there is capacity loss.

Did Nissan confirm that GID are that? I recall that they like to vary it's relationship to charge left. You must be having access to manuals that are not only not given to owners, can you share this in PM?

Advertisement