Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB Great Electric Drive

Options

Comments

.............. even so they will still be far cheaper to run than an ice car.

All costs included and mileage dependent they will be far cheaper to run than some ice cars ;)

Folks who aren't badge snobs or reg snobs or tree huggers can get about very cheaply in an ice car if they want to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

That's the smallest solar thermal panel I've ever seen !

But isnt the gas boiler connected through the hot water cylinder? I can't see much of a saving if your heating is on it won't cost much to heat the hot water.

Where as solar P.V would save you more because you can use it more including to heat water if you wish.

There is no gas or heating used to heat the water.

The solar system does it all..

The house is also so well insuated throughout,that the heating is barely on,even in the wintertime.

Anyway,its going off topic now.

Regards.

paddy147 wrote: »
    So its just your personal thought and not a fact that more new cars will be electric in 2018 than petrol or diesel.............

Personal thought with some ifs thrown in too :)
    Not even remotely resembling a fact.

So its just your personal thought and not a fact that more new cars will be electric in 2018 than petrol or diesel.

BTW..if people cant pay or wont pay an expensive property tax,then how do you think they can or will be able buy a very expensive electric car?
    Are there goverment grants available for buying a new electric car?

I didn't say one way or the other did I ?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Personal thought with some ifs thrown in too :)
    Not even remotely resembling a fact.

What ?? what you talking about ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

There is no gas or heating used to heat the water.

The solar system does it all..

The house is also so well insuated throughout,that the heating is barely on,even in the wintertime.

Anyway,its going off topic now.

Regards.
    Sorry for dragging this back on the topic, but that is a solar thermodynamic panel , it basically gets a bit of heat from the solar and uses a heatpump to heat it up even more.
    Just thought id correct it in case people were wondering how such a small panel works for you. Its technically a totally different system to a standard solar panel setup.

Obviously the disadvantage is the heat pump uses electricity.

Sorry for dragging this back on the topic, but that is a solar thermodynamic panel , it basically gets a bit of heat from the solar and uses a heatpump to heat it up even more.
    Just thought id correct it in case people were wondering how such a small panel works for you. Its technically a totally different system to a standard solar panel setup.

Obviously the disadvantage is the heat pump uses electricity.

What no thread link??:)

Different forum on Boards,for anyone who wants to know what hes talking about.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056600822

Now back to this topic and the electric cars.

All costs included and mileage dependent they will be far cheaper to run than some ice cars ;)

Folks who aren't badge snobs or reg snobs or tree huggers can get about very cheaply in an ice car if they want to.

Rover, we've been here many times as you follow me from thread to thread to Hijack any threads I create or post in to purposely find any negativity in any Pro E.V comments I may have, It's tiring now...... really !

40 mpg is 14.16 kms /litre

so 1.70 per 14.16 kms.

that is more than what it costs to drive 110 kms in a nissan leaf on
    Night tariff leccy.

So if I do 35,000 Kms per year in an older 40 mpg car that means I would
    pay 14 /35000 = 2500 x 1.70 = 4250 per year in fuel.

Over 5 years that 21,250 Euro's

The cost of leccy is 508 Euro's based on the Leaf doing 110kms per charge.

110 kms /35000 = 318 charges x 1.60 per charge - 508 Euro's.

That's a lot of money I would rather put into a new car than have to drive older cars because the fuel is so expensive.

You see our bright Government don't understand that cars that are already super taxed if taxed higher will mean less people buy meaning less revenue.

IF they put E.V's into the band A category of 16% as it will be in January then it will add 4k to the leaf and that will probably hurt sales, however all other band A cars are going up also. So if the leaf costs 29,000 (again) then the Golf, focus, etc are also going up.

No one knows what will happen E.V's yet, but what they might do is eliminate the grant of 5000 Euro's still keeping them VRT free. The grants are keeping e.v prices artificially high in my opinion as car makers are the ones who really benefit.

One other think I can do is install a bigger battery on my leccy bike and not use the car at all locally, though local for me is a large area!

50 watt hrs per mile V 3kw per mile or so in a leccy car, :D

What no thread link??:)

Different forum on Boards,for anyone who wants to know what hes talking about.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056600822

Now back to this topic and the electric cars.

Thanks for the link but lets please keep this topic out of the thread, solar P.V is relevant but not thermal.

Thanks for the link but lets please keep this topic out of the thread, solar P.V is relevant but not thermal.

Eh,you are the one who mentioned solar thermal in the 1st place...(please read your past posts).
    So why originaly ask me questions about a gas connection and about the panel size,if you are now going to start complaining here because I posted a link to a "different part" of Boards.

But its ok for you to sprout on about property taxes and water meters in your posts here though,eh??:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Mad lad I don't follow you anywhere, I also said mileage dependent so didn't bother reading your speel specific to your individual situation.

is this have a go at mad lad day ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The heat pump transfers heat from one medium to another, it does not actually provide any heat itself to the water in this case.

With direct sunlight on it, it will work well, as the panel will be very hot, and the evaporating (boiling) refrigerant will absorb plenty of heat in this scenario.

It is hard to see that it can work well without sunlight, as in work cheaply. With no sunlight, it is working as an air source heat pump, but with a tiny surface area evaporator. This just cant extract anything remotely like the amount of heat as it can when hot in direct sunlight.

The electricity usage data for direct sunlight v night time v winter night time would be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

They'll more than likely introduce a very hefty electric car tax, both at purchase and motor tax wise. I believe there is something nice in the upcoming budget for folks running electric cars too, its tiny but the OTT reaction will be class if they bring it in.
    Anyone thinking property tax etc will allow folks to run EVa cheaply longterm is delirious.
    The current motor tax, excise duty, VAT, CO2 tax, etc. that Government collect is massive and I can't believe they will simply let it go, if we all switch to green electric cars that will cost very little to run.

Seweryn wrote: »
    The current motor tax, excise duty, VAT, CO2 tax, etc. that Government collect is massive and I can't believe they will simply let it go, if we all switch to a green electric cars that will cost very little to run.

Ah sure FG/Labour didnt hit people who tried to be more eco friendly and bought low emmision new cars.They didnt ramp up the tax on these cars.

Oh wait,they did.:rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

You're not the only one they do that to mad_lad. :-/

These days though I just find it amusing how offensive they find the presence of any remotely viable alternative to 100 year old technology.

Honestly lads, it's not like you're going to be forced to use them if you don't want to - I genuinely don't get not only why ye're so convinced that EV's won't gain significant market share in the short term, but why ye're so adamant that they shouldn't.

I've my 18k km service scheduled next Wednesday. On the sums of that mileage alone and factoring in finance and ESB, after my first 15 weeks of ownership I'm already ~€1k better off than I would have been with my old car.

They work - that's all there is to it.

.... I don't see how calling him on spoof and bullsh1t put forward as fact is seen as following him around etc, property tax etc might allow EVs to be as cheap as they are now if we all ran one.... Delerious ;)
    Are you still stopping for a recharge on your way home from work? If so that 70 euro a week is well deserved not to mention earned.

Can we all be friends again ? :D

Fact is nobody knows what the muppets in government will do. The only thing
    we half know is band A is going from 14-16 % and band A will probably end at 80 g/km co2.

I would have hoped they put an end to the ridiculous co2 taxation system.

EV's already pay just 3 euros or so less than a band A road tax.

Vrt is 14% so the government have a target of so many Evs by 2020 and adding vrt wont help achieve that.

So that would mean the leaf which was 30 k now 25,500 would go back to nearly 30 k.

I know if they add vrt I won't be paying 30 k for one. As I've said before I will never buy a new ice car again because I wouldn't give the government the vrt, same with an electric car if they add vrt I will never buy one new.

people are already paying 23 % vat, on a new car.

In the U.S the Leaf can be bought for around 20,000 Euros after incentives and even at that they think it's too expensive. And tha's when it cost 30 k here. One of the main reasons is they pay no sales tax in most states,,and certainly no vrt they wouldn't tolerate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭vinniem

Hi All, so does it look like the gov are going to reverse 0 % VRT on EC's in this coming budget? Is this a roumor or is it something they have put out there? Was playing with the idea of getting a leaf next year but if price shoots over 30K again then absolutley no way.

vinniem wrote: »
    Hi All, so does it look like the gov are going to reverse 0 % VRT on EC's in this coming budget? Is this a roumor or is it something they have put out there? Was playing with the idea of getting a leaf next year but if price shoots over 30K again then absolutley no way.

No one knows what will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

extremetaz wrote: »
    Honestly lads, it's not like you're going to be forced to use them if you don't want to - I genuinely don't get not only why ye're so convinced that EV's won't gain significant market share in the short term, but why ye're so adamant that they shouldn't.
    What do you mean by "significant market share"?

... And define short term too :)

Are you still stopping for a recharge on your way home from work? If so that 70 euro a week is well deserved not to mention earned.

Nope :D - there's a charger across the road from my office now.

So the only drawback I was having to deal with, no longer exists. :p

So that would mean the leaf which was 30 k now 25,500 would go back to nearly 30 k.

Actually the €25k bit was on account of a Nissan offer - they were matching the grant for summer. That offer's expired now so even with the grant the Leaf is back up to €30k
    What do you mean by "significant market share"?

anything above 10% of the national fleet.
    ... And define short term too :)

anything less than 5 years.

No chance unless you are going to include Hybrids, presumably you're not as they have an ICE.

No chance unless you are going to include Hybrids, presumably you're not as they have an ICE.

Reread my post - I never said they would - I highlighted your adamance that not only they wouldn't, but they shouldn't. In doing so by the way, I also invited justification for the latter. So.....

However, to satisfy your presumption, you're correct. IMO hybrids are a waste of time - you're better of with a clean diesel (and I should know - I owned a hybrid for 4 years).

(oh - and in case Opel are listening [I jest for comically challenged among us :rolleyes:], calling it a "range extender" doesn't make your car an EV - the Ampera is a bloody hybrid - stop marketing it as anything else!).

You're not the only one they do that to mad_lad. :-/

These days though I just find it amusing how offensive they find the presence of any remotely viable alternative to 100 year old technology.

I've my 18k km service scheduled next Wednesday. On the sums of that mileage alone and factoring in finance and ESB, after my first 15 weeks of ownership I'm already ~€1k better off than I would have been with my old car.

They work - that's all there is to it.
    Reread my post - I never said they would - I highlighted your adamance that not only they wouldn't, but they shouldn't. In doing so by the way, I also invited justification for the latter. So.....

However, to satisfy your presumption, you're correct. IMO hybrids are a waste of time - you're better of with a clean diesel (and I should know - I owned a hybrid for 4 years).

(oh - and in case Opel are listening [I jest for comically challenged among us :rolleyes:], calling it a "range extender" doesn't make your car an EV - the Ampera is a bloody hybrid - stop marketing it as anything else!).
    ...... Re read your own post :)

...... Re read your own post :)

...not getting you... :confused:

There's no statement in there that they will gain significant market share - I simply haven't ruled it out and was hoping you'd have an argument to backup your implications that they shouldn't achieve it.

Care to humour me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

It has an all-electric drivetrain, capable of running completely without fuel if you like (for short journeys - up to 80km if you drive carefully), with a petrol generator strapped on for extended range.

Most hybrids have both the electric motor and ICE attached to the drivetrain, so it makes sense for Opel/GM to differentiate.

• Advertisement

They suit you as you do lots of miles etc, you fail to realise most people don't, ten percent market share is Toyota territory. Manufacturers are still in many cases looking at hybrid technology, people have little faith in an adequate charging network being in place, also the range is sh1t at the moment.

Advertisement