Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB Great Electric Drive

Options
  • 07-06-2012 9:01pm

Guess who signed up ? ;)

One of the questions is how far is your daily commute, so I bet my 130 km commute is too much for them rather than the car. They wouldn't want too many miles on the car.

Herself has a 20 km commute a day so that would be far more attractive to them I bet even though the biggest saving would be for me who drives far more!

Would be great though! :D

Comments

For those who don't have a clue what the OP is on about..

http://www.esb.ie/electric-cars/electric-car-driving/the-great-electric-drive.jsp

Would you like to join our team of ecar ambassadors and drive an electric car for up to a year? Well here's your chance...
    ESB ecars has just launched The Great Electric Drive and is selecting members of the general public to take part in an electric car trial. We are looking for people with a range of different lifestyles to get plugged in and share their electric driving experience with us. So, if you're a car enthusiast, a technology whizz, a green-consumer, a business professional or think that your family would like to take part, just let us know why you are the ideal candidate. If you want the chance to join our team of ecar ambassadors and experience the thrill of electric driving, then this is the perfect opportunity for you!
    The selected ambassadors will trial one of the following electric car models; Nissan LEAF, Mitsubishi iMiEV and a Renault Kangoo Z.E. commercial electric van. Twenty people in total will participate in the year-long trial, four of which will trial an ecar for a year and sixteen people will trial the ecars for a period of three months each.

Oh Yeah thanks for that, I suppose a link would have helped! :D

... I reckon 'twas the excitement of it all swept you away :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Free use of a car all the same, might sign up for the laugh. ;)

RoverJames wrote: »
    ... I reckon 'twas the excitement of it all swept you away :pac:

sSig_heeheehee.gif

• Advertisement

Free use of a car all the same, might sign up for the laugh. ;)

You would burn it out just for the laugh and blame the battery!

sSig_lol.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

You would burn it out just for the laugh and blame the battery!

sSig_lol.gif

I've no issues with EV at all, don't feel it's quite there at the moment but sure things progress.

I've no issues with EV at all, don't feel it's quite there at the moment but sure things progress.

Well I'm not sure I could make the 130 km commute in the Leaf, but I'm sure I could persuade work to install a charger, the building consumes 14.5 Mega Watts so charging the leaf would be unnoticeable! If that was the case then happy days!

I have a 3 month contract that ends at the end of July. I long for a permanent contract but I got to take what I get, but if I get a permanent contract, I may consider the Leaf or Zoe! But until then it's the good old Prius, after the 3 months who know's what will happen!

Sure I might not be saving, but I'd rather spend more on the car than the fuel, the saving on the fuel would go a long way in paying the car!

Renaults soon to offer free battery rental for 2 years is an attractive offer, but I bet they have mileage restrictions, which is fair enough considering the loss they are taking on the batteries!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd love one just to see what they're actually like to live with. I agree with TT, I don't think they're there yet, but I'd be willing to give it a shot!

I don't usually drive to work, but I did today. The BMW is a lovely place to sit and listen to the radio, but I ended up driving all over Dublin today in work and it just bloody drinks petrol around town! No fun at all!

I'd love one just to see what they're actually like to live with. I agree with TT, I don't think they're there yet, but I'd be willing to give it a shot!

I don't usually drive to work, but I did today. The BMW is a lovely place to sit and listen to the radio, but I ended up driving all over Dublin today in work and it just bloody drinks petrol around town! No fun at all!

Indeed if you have to pay for the petrol it's no fun. I think that is where a lot of people will warm to electric cars. After all 60-100 miles is a lot of driving for a lot of people.

If companies installed charge points more people would buy electric cars if they can be guaranteed they could make the trip if travelling from say Carlow to Dublin. If you go to Luas there are charge points there already. It really makes for a cheap way to get to work and back. For anyone living and working in Dublin who doesn't use public transport they are a no brainer.

I can't see companies or private car park owners installing them without some kind of Government intervention and god only knows what they might charge for the electricity!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Have you seen the price for the new Nissan Leaf???:eek:

Duncan Stewart did a test with one a few months back on "EcoEye" on RTE1.

The car has a range of 160km and he drove it from Kerry to Dublin.

Kerry up to Dublin is alot more than 160km,so he would have to have stopped for a fair auld while to recharge it.

But "amazingly" Dunacan never mentions this important part in the programme.

Now go and work that one out.:pac::rolleyes:;

Duncan also "tested" the car around Mondello,and he was "amazed" by the Nissan Leafs handling and speed,especially through the corners.

Shame he was only doing around 30kph in the car.;):rolleyes:

I wonder how many 50 euro notes were in that envelope that Nissan Ireland may have given to him??.:pac:

Dublin to Kerry ? If there are a few fast chargers along the way there is no reason it can't be done!

As I keep saying, you buy a car that meets 90% of your driving not the 10% that it may or may not do!

I think I would be more than willing to fast charge a couple of times along the way. With the hugely reduced cost of driving on electricity I would be more than willing to make that small sacrifice. Nissan have stated clearly now that fast charging multiple times a day is no harm, and I've heard that on the American Leaf forum too, noting like releasing a car to the public for "proper" field testing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Just applied there, have a daily commute of 130k so it would be handy alright and interesting to try. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Just applied there, have a daily commute of 130k so it would be handy alright and interesting to try. Thanks OP.

A daily commute of a 130k? Where do you work? The moon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

ksimpson wrote: »

It must be a new moon, if its at 130k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

robbie7730 wrote: »
    It must be a new moon, if its at 130k.

Forgot the m lads, 130km :D

Forgot the m lads, 130km :D

I knew that. ksimpson was pretending he didnt:pac:

That's around the same distance as me.

I worked it out that fuel would cost me €12,750 over 5 years in the Prius. Excluding all the non work related driving.

To calculate driving on electric the same distance over 5 years we need to do some calculations.

€1.60 on night tariff electricity would get you between 70-100 miles in the Leaf depending on weather, accessories used etc meaning I May or may not make the full trip of about 80 ish miles a day. There are no fast chargers on route, the closest from Grange Castle Business Park being Topaz at Bewley's, Newlands Cross. If you pass there, or Belgard Nissan and are willing to spend 10-15 mins on a charger and save, then go for it!

Anyone that drives to Luas Red Cow, happy days, there are 4 charge points there already! :-) So a trip from Carlow to Luas Red Cow is more than achievable+ you can set your heater to warm up the car on cold winter evenings and it's nice and cosy when you get there! ;)

So Lets say I can make it. €1.60 per "full" charge per day =8 euro's a week compared to €51 or so in the Prius excluding the non work related driving we do. That is a substantial saving.

€8.00 a week over 5 years = €2,000. That's a saving of 10,750 over the 5 years!

If you need to charge at your destination it would cost around €3,000 euro's that figure is off the top of my head because the battery wouldn't be 100% drained and work places may or may not allow free charging or completely screw you for it not to mention the private car park owners.

The saving over fuel could go a long way towards paying for the car over the 5 years, you wouldn't be saving in reality if you had a 25,000 car such as the Leaf to pay for, but the saving on fuel would mean the car would really only cost 15,000 compared to a ICE car that costs 25,000 then you got to pay the over 12,750 as what it would cost me in the Prius, then that car would cost 25,000 + 12,750 for fuel = 37,750.

Those that drive 40-50 mpg cars would be paying much more over the 5 years for petrol or diesel thus saving far more!

If you get 45 mpg then to cover the same distance as me in the Prius would cost €15,869 - 2000 for electricity = 13,869, so that pays for half the leaf in a 45 mpg car!

45 mpg = 15.93 kms per litre divide by 160,000 kms = 1,93.4 litres x 1.58 for fuel = €15,869.

You always have the option of charging from renewable sources too, and the 3 grand a year that you would save on the electricity to charge the car would go towards paying off the solar or wind system!

"how do I charge using my renewable energy if I'm out during the day ?" I can hear you saying. That's very simple. You put it into the grid during the day and buy it back at night, the E.S.B being a very very very x 100000 cheap battery that doesn't need maintenance or die after 10 years!

In fact Nissan have in Japan a system where the Leaf will store energy for the grid, so instead of turning off wind turbines the Electric companies can dump that energy into electric car batteries and take it from them at peak times.

Sometimes I wish people would appreciate the effort I put into these posts! :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Hmmm.... Could you just park it up for the year and use it to p*ss in?

Shane732 wrote: »

And you're a moderator ? WOW!

• Advertisement

And you're a moderator ? WOW!

:D

Let's just say I'm not a fan of the Nissan Leaf.

In time the technology may well advance and we'll have something that's actually worth purchasing. At present there isn't a chance I'd consider getting out of what I'm driving and buying one of those yokes.

In time the technology may well advance and we'll have something that's actually worth purchasing. At present there isn't a chance I'd consider getting out of what I'm driving and buying one of those yokes.

That's fine, but why didn't you say that in the beginning instead of running yourself down with derogatory remarks ? Seriously there isn't any need for those kind of comments!

You may be well willing to pay for petrol or diesel but many others are not and even the Nissan Leaf has more than enough range for most people!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I applied. I'd love to try it for a few months or else my wife can use it for pottering around the suburbs.
    Free installation of a charge point will be no bad thing either.
    Handy selling point for the house!

That's fine, but why didn't you say that in the beginning instead of running yourself down with derogatory remarks ? Seriously there isn't any need for those kind of comments!

You may be well willing to pay for petrol or diesel but many others are not and even the Nissan Leaf has more than enough range for most people!

I wasn't aware that I had run myself down. Oh well, I guess in time I'll recover from the trauma this has caused me.

Lighten up - I'm the tax mod, I'm meant to be the boring one.

The Leaf would have enough range for me on a normal day. My round trip on a normal day is in the region of 40 miles. However, what happens on the day I need to go to a meeting or something?

Also it's performance is rubbish.

Or you could just use your toilet, no?

There wont be any advancement if people follow you`re suggestion.

Or you could just use your toilet, no?

I could but if I ended up with a Nissan Leaf for a year what else would I do with it?

There wont be any advancement if people follow you`re suggestion.

Inevitably there will be as in time we'll get to a stage where it won't be a viable option to continue using fossil fuels. For some that time as already come.

Personally I'd like to see liquid nitrogen being used.

Lets try keep this on topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

ksimpson wrote: »

That's not out of the ordinary of a lot of people, my daily commute is 160km, was thinking of applying but I don't think they'd take to kindly to me driving the car to it's limit each day :) wouldn't want to chance a detour

I wasn't aware that I had run myself down. Oh well, I guess in time I'll recover from the trauma this has caused me.

Lighten up - I'm the tax mod, I'm meant to be the boring one.

The Leaf would have enough range for me on a normal day. My round trip on a normal day is in the region of 40 miles. However, what happens on the day I need to go to a meeting or something?

Also it's performance is rubbish.

Really ? then read your first post in this thread, it hardly is a worthy contribution to the discussion!

The Leaf isn't supposed to be a performance car, remember the limitation to performance long range electric cars is cost.

The Tesla model S is supposed to have 350 miles or more. But at a prohibitive cost to most people! The sport version doing 0-60 in 4.5 seconds!

Again what makes sense is you buy a car that meets 90% or more of your driving needs, not the 10% or less it may not. That does not make sense.

What if I want to go on a long trip in an ice car and it won't start after not driving it for a few months because I drive the Leaf 99% of the time ?

• Advertisement

I could but if I ended up with a Nissan Leaf for a year what else would I do with it?
    You would`t piss into it, thats for sure. Not applying would be one way to avoid having one for a year though:pac:

Inevitably there will be as in time we'll get to a stage where it won't be a viable option to continue using fossil fuels. For some that time as already come.

Personally I'd like to see liquid nitrogen being used.

Advancement requires people with open minds probably.

Advertisement