Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your SINGLE favourite film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

there is only one .....SCARFACE ...pacino at his most sadistic...all day baby alll muthafookin day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Goodfellas

ectoraige wrote: »
    It has to be Full Metal Jacket for me. The way it brings you through the evolution of a marine, from shaving heads through to the killing of the sniper at the end is masterful. The conclusion of Private Pyle's tale always leaves me reeling, only for it shift gear again as it brings us into Vietnam and eventually the darkness of combat. It has been my top movie for so long I can't remember what was my top movie before I saw it. Probably Bambi.

Brilliant movie classic , M.I.C.K.E.Y. M.O.U.S.E.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    There are a good few films that I could put into my top ten: Shawshank, Forest, Snatch, LOTR's, Usual Suspects, True Romance, Grosse Point Blank...

Grosse point blank on bbc one at 11.45 tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

The 1962 movie version of Cape Fear.

Robert Mitchum stars as the deranged stalker capable of anything, Gregory Peck as the lawyer desperate to keep his family safe. Mitchum exudes menace and threat, Peck exudes helpless fear.

A brilliant movie. Remade in '91 with Robert de Niro and Nick Nolte, and very good it was too but not as atmospheric as the original, and Nolte didn't quite match Peck's performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Giselle wrote: »
    The 1962 movie version of Cape Fear.

Robert Mitchum stars as the deranged stalker capable of anything, Gregory Peck as the lawyer desperate to keep his family safe. Mitchum exudes menace and threat, Peck exudes helpless fear.

A brilliant movie. Remade in '91 with Robert de Niro and Nick Nolte, and very good it was too but not as atmospheric as the original, and Nolte didn't quite match Peck's performance.

I liked that fact that DeNiro got his teeth shaved down for the part
    to make himself look more psycho in the remake.

What an actor!

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'm gonna say Full Metal Jacket, but tomorrow it'll have changed again.

The likes of Trainspotting, Pulp Fiction, any LOTR film and a handful of war films could be my favourite on any given day

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hart

Escape from New York. A B movie masterpiece. I never grow tired of watching it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Zeppy7

Dirty Dancing..

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Aliens

Just the perfect sci-fi action movie. I think I've seen it more than 30 times :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Klept0

Memento

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but I loved it. First time I watched this film my mind was blown, a really innovative take on storytelling with some brilliant twists and turns.

It's not the type of film you forget ;) (pun definitely intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Blade Runner.

Visually and aurally stunning, narratively flawed, well acted film about what it is to be human.

While I bloody LOVE Blade Runner, I recognise it's probably not the best film ever made. But it's definitely my favourite. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

Has to be Goodfellas. Everytime I see it, I think that it's the perfect film. Great acting, dialogue, score and directing. The plot is relatively simple but brilliantly executed and to think its loosely based on true events makes it even better. Joe Pesci's acting was superb, especially that "I'm funny how" scene where not just Ray Liotta's face filled with dread but everyone around the table too. Just powerful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I've been trying, but I honestly cannot do this. Every time I think of something, a few other films pop into my head..! :(
    However, I'm surprised not to have seen The Pianist mentioned yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Zeppy7

Life is beautiful.. cannot believe I forgot to top that above Dirty Dancing (my initial, flippant contribution) is at the absolute frontier for me.. poignant, tragic but above all, delicate..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Dodgeball. Obviously not the best film of all time but my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Usual Suspects.

Love it so much

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

The big lebowski

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭lc180

Almost Famous

By far Cameron Crowe's best work. Great is so many ways..
    It pains me that my friends have never seen or heard of this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Usually anything with Robert de Niro or Tom Hanks.

But in the end it comes down to Midnight Run.

One of de Niro's first comedy films and probably his best, forget Meet the Parents/Fockers and that. This films always makes me laugh no matter how many times I see it.

Him and Charles Grodin couldn't have made the film more perfect. The constant fighting a bickering between the two is what made the film I thought. And Marvin (John Ashton) was just the cherry on the cake. :pac:

Such a great great movie! "I got two words for you: 'Shut the f*ck up!!'" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It'd have to be the first dark knight for me, no question.

The Sting...Newman and Redford in full swing and an awesome soundtrack!

Good call. Butch Cassidy etc is another super movie with those two.

I used to think Jaws was my favourite film: no matter how many times I've seen it, if I catch it on TV I have to watch it through to the end! But Good Will Hunting is another film like that.

To pick one film as a favourite: Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭pah

The Matrix.

If only I could scrub the memory of the sequels from my brain, revolutions in particular.

pah wrote: »
    The Matrix.

If only I could scrub the memory of the sequels from my brain, revolutions in particular.

I liked the sequels , i enjoyed the different aspects from the matrix to the real world ,and jesus the fight sequence in revolutions was just amazing with the 1/4 million squiddys bloody fantastic ...but then you have to take in to account the Animatrix and the bridge short film ..final flight of the osiris...jesus im a nerd lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

A Beautiful Mind, just a masterpiece in every sense of the word, ive seen it probably 3 or 4 time and enjoyed it each time and i always feel really sad at the end when
    he just walks past the 3 of them with his award

i would also have said The Pianist, what a great film,

those would be my top 2 films of the 2000s, hard to think of better,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

This is Spinal Tap - I think it is the ultimate comedy, quotable beyond belief and and so many great great scenes..ive listen to the commentary countless time too and it is as good as the film too...just pure genius!

Martin Tufnel - "This goes up to 11.."
    Ian Faith - "Certainly, in the topsy-turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is often useful"
    David St. Hubbins - "Here lies David St. Hubbins... and why not?"
    Marti Di Bergi - "**** Sandwich"
    David St. Hubbins - "You know, several, you know, dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported."
    Nigel Tufnel - "It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

I could go on and on and on....

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

All the obvious ones have been mentioned,but I really liked U Turn- I only watched it again yesterday. Great cast: Sean Penn, Nick Nolte, Jennifer Lopez, Powers Boothe, Billy Bob Thornton, Jon Voight, Joaquin Phoenix, Claire Danes. Sean Penn freaking out at Joaquin Phoenix is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Lon.C wrote: »
    All the obvious ones have been mentioned,but I really liked U Turn- I only watched it again yesterday. Great cast: Sean Penn, Nick Nolte, Jennifer Lopez, Powers Boothe, Billy Bob Thornton, Jon Voight, Joaquin Phoenix, Claire Danes. Sean Penn freaking out at Joaquin Phoenix is brilliant.

Such a cast, never heard of this, with Ollie Stone directing I'll have to give it a look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 _coinin_

Im glad someone mentioned U-turn , its a great movie.

My favourite has to be Blade Runner, it is amazing. The details that went into making it. I love the tears in rain quote. I love the book too.
    My other favourite movie is Legend ....Tim Curry as the Dark Lord, that evil laugh :eek:

Advertisement