Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your SINGLE favourite film

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

The Third Man.

It's the atmosphere and deft cinematic touches, alongside some stellar performances with an apparently convoluted plot from the outset, that has me taking it off the shelf time and time again.

On another day, maybe Kind Hearts and Coronets would be one I'd choose, but that's not allowed here:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Its the shinebox scene which is my most memorable one.
    That and the "I'm funny how?" scene.

Yep, or (same scene) when the waiter gets glassed, and everyone in the restaurant just giggles and laughs with Liotta and Pesci, as if this sort of behaviour is just normal for a night out in a restaurant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Jaws – Seen it way too many times but never tire of it. The main cast is fantastic, rounding up locals to play the majority of the smaller parts added a sense of realism.

Endless patience Spielberg had to endure with the shark never doing what it was supposed to. The John Williams score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

du Maurier wrote: »
    The Third Man.

Found it to be one of the biggest disappointments since losing my virginity...not a bad film by any stretch, but not as great as everyone would have you believe...

Goodfellas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

Drive

Saw it for the first time 2 days ago, incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Found it to be one of the biggest disappointments since losing my virginity...not a bad film by any stretch, but not as great as everyone would have you believe...

I suppose many would utter the same about There will be Blood...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Memories of Matsuko

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i am an aliens obsessive but still have to go with Blade runner...a film i still get new things from every time i watch it

yeah that is my other top favourite but didn't want to be greedy

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Jaws – Seen it way too many times but never tire of it. The main cast is fantastic, rounding up locals to play the majority of the smaller parts added a sense of realism.

Endless patience Spielberg had to endure with the shark never doing what it was supposed to. The John Williams score.

its also one of the best examples on how to pace a three act film ever. probably the only time a crappy special effect not working has actually improved a film. instead of constant shots of a dodgy rubber shark they had to keep it hidden most of the time and it made the film into a unseen terror movie instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

There will be blood is definitely in my top 10, great story and my hands down favourite actor of all time. "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Yeah I've known people who found it boring, but these are the same people who enjoy watching Jason Statham "Films":eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Ace Ventura. The sequel gives it a run for its money but if I had to choose it would be the first one.

It's not really fair to mock Jason Statham - the guy is brilliant at what he does. Plus his movies are brilliant when you just want to turn off your head and watch **** explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yeah I've known people who found it boring, but these are the same people who enjoy watching Jason Statham "Films":eek:

Crank was awesome, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

The Man Who Wasn't There - Very underrated film imo. Definitely the pinnacle of both the Cohen's and Thornton's career up to that point. So well paced and Deakins cinematography is amazing in a gorgeous black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GiveEmHellKid

Probably a cliché answer, but Fight Club. The novel is just as good and Edward Norton is just an incredible actor. I love Fincher's take on it and how it kept true to the novel for the most part!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

Very hard to pick just one but House of sand and Fog is a great movie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

You must know the guy I work with whos fave actor is Statham. Ironically or maybe not, he hasn't seen Lock Stock, Snatch or The Bank Job.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Die Hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

The Fountain

The most beautiful piece of cinematography i've ever seen, even tho ive seen it probably 10 times i just watched the trailer there and it sent shivers down my spine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

American History X: Its just an epic film with a fantastic plot and amazing acting by the Ed Furlong (such a wasted talent) and Ed norton for me it delivers on all fronts. Amazing storyline, acting superbly shot and even though I know then ending and have seen it many times it still manages to get me everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Scarface.. Absolutely class film.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

charlemont wrote: »
    Scarface.. Absolutely class film.

I do love Scarface but I just think all this crap on Mtv Cribs etc has kind of taken a bit of the shine of the film. Amazing film and I love Pacino in it. But some of the fanfare for it can be cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

If had to pick just one I'd go with 'The Green Mile'. Brilliantly made and acted. Fantastic movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

Shawshank or Back to the future 1, can watch both no bother anyday of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Unforgiven, but Life Is Beautiful comes a very close second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Sugarlumps wrote: »

I love Jaws. The whole scene from comparing scars, onto tatoos, then quints USS indianapolis story is one of the best scenes ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I love Jaws. The whole scene from comparing scars, onto tatoos, then quints USS indianapolis story is one of the best scenes ever.

Fantastic film. Eminently re-watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Ostman

Alie....The Wrath of K....Juras....ARRGH!

Fine.
    Aliens, gotta go with Aliens.

Endless quotes, horrifying enemy, great action, Ripley rulez, great supporting cast (except the kid, ugh), and it ends with a chick in a mech suit kicking the crap out of a monstrous alien queen!
    How the hell do you improve on that?

If only they'd stop proving how they can make it worse.

Honourable mention to The Two Towers, and Gollum's surprisingly tragic story.

Advertisement