Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your SINGLE favourite film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Lost in Translation.

Nothing has come close since I saw it seven years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

I Went Down

Okay maybe it is not the most glamorous of Irish films and it is not a big budget film but what it I love about it is:

Brendan Gleeson is amazing in it, he plays a dumb "know all" Dub (we all know a few) so well getting cliches totally arseways, making totally invalid points he feels are completely valid and has some amazing scenes ("Ya stupid little in the bath fella" springs to mind).

Tony Doyle (Tom French) is the greatest bullsh!t artist I have ever seen in a film. How often do we hear someone's side of the story in it's entirety on 3 occasions and each of them are complete and utter horseh!t! Fantastic character!

The plot is pretty good too, its only about small time gangsters with barely an arse in their trousers and each time I watch it I pick up on something new in it too. Definitely my favourite Irish movie and probably my favourite movie ever :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Im one of those that has a top 10 no particular order list of fave films..if i had to choose Id probably have to pick the shawshank redemption..its just a sheer classic! but i love the departed aswell and taxi driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

An easy one for me, has always been Pulp Fiction for as long as I remember. I just think it's an incredibly enjoyable film and I never get bored of it. (I do love pretty much all of Tarantino's films with the exeption of Death Proof which I thought was terrible!)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Sunjava

Once Upon A Time In The West....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Diddler82 wrote: »
    I Went Down

Okay maybe it is not the most glamorous of Irish films and it is not a big budget film but what it I love about it is:

Brendan Gleeson is amazing in it, he plays a dumb "know all" Dub (we all know a few) so well getting cliches totally arseways, making totally invalid points he feels are completely valid and has some amazing scenes ("Ya stupid little in the bath fella" springs to mind).

Tony Doyle (Tom French) is the greatest bullsh!t artist I have ever seen in a film. How often do we hear someone's side of the story in it's entirety on 3 occasions and each of them are complete and utter horseh!t! Fantastic character!

The plot is pretty good too, its only about small time gangsters with barely an arse in their trousers and each time I watch it I pick up on something new in it too. Definitely my favourite Irish movie and probably my favourite movie ever :confused:

best Irish movie ever imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

This is England
    That scene when Combo first enters. You've got the hatred (Combo and the other guy that came in with him), the ignorance, the people laughing along, and the people standing by, Woody, Lol et cetera. You really feel yourself drop throughout the course of that scene.

I can only imagine that this was the sort of scene in Germany in the late 1930s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Easy.

Goodfellas. Its the only movie Ive ever seen that is simply perfect. Plot, acting, dialogue, directing, characters. It has been my favorite movie for the last 20 years and nothing has come close to beating it.

Im all for personal opinion....but I dont know how anyones favourite film COULDNT be Goodfellas. The dialogue, the acting, directing.....it is all just too good. To think that it didnt win Best Picture is criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Very hard to choose but I'm gonna go with Almost Famous. Such a great movie with an amazing soundtrack, the Elton John- Tiny Dancer is amazing and anyone who has seen the movie will remember it. Amazing storyline aswell. Also excellent performances from Philip Seymour Hoffman and Kate Hudson. contains a young Zooey Deschanel and Anna Paquin so what's not to like. It always gives me a sense of Nostalgia when I watch it and I was born in the 90's so Ive no idea why.

Gone baby gone and Pan's Labyrinth are a close second and third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Usually anything with Robert de Niro or Tom Hanks.

But in the end it comes down to Midnight Run.

One of de Niro's first comedy films and probably his best, forget Meet the Parents/Fockers and that. This films always makes me laugh no matter how many times I see it.

Him and Charles Grodin couldn't have made the film more perfect. The constant fighting a bickering between the two is what made the film I thought. And Marvin (John Ashton) was just the cherry on the cake. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

If its measured by how many times we've seen the movie, Tommy Weiseau's masterpiece 'The Room' unfortunately wins by a country mile for me. :/

If its by potential multiple viewings, then it's the Bourne Supremacy for me.

I frickin love this trilogy, especially the second. Matt Damon is a tour de force of revenge, epitomized by the scene where he finds the CIA and Pamela Landy in Berlin before they even start properly looking for him.

Pamela Landy: What if I can't find her?

Jason Bourne: It's easy. She's standing right next to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

State Of Grace (1990)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Goodfellas, for the scene with the second half of Eric Clapton's Layla alone, never mind anything else in the film. It really is perfect.

It will eventually grow to become the Godfather as my favourite though, as soon I have had enough viewings for it to seep into my every pore. Vito Corleone, enough said.

Notable list of films I will ALWAYS watch:
    Big Lebowski, Once Upon a Time in America, Shawshank Redemption

Gone off Heat recently for the hammy relationship scenes, really made me cringe on a recent viewing, however Bank Scene is one of the greatest and always will be for me.

Original list? No. But I likes what I likes :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I see your cinematic classics and raise you:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5Pl_6yqjS3CY3Ub9RSjK7QInTkfxjGXibA9Y42w5dbSsEo5SZOJuTEx6N

There's no situation in which it's not appropriate...

Hungover - check
    Day time watching - check
    Night time - check
    Trying to bag a classy lady - check (show her your sense of humour and recite her some lines, "I want to be on you")
    Need a laugh - motherf*ckin' check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Favourite of all time has to be "The Train" (1964) - the best war movie ever made, gripping realism, great acting and made with the real things. No models or CGI here. This hammy Trailer doesn't do justice to it. Love to see it on a big screen again - ideas anybody?

My favourite Irish movie is either "The Field" or "The Commitments" - never can make up my mind. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

220px-A_night_at_the_roxbury.jpg

Judge me all ye want.

It's my all-time favourite.
    Soundtrack to my youth, full of cheesy eurodance and songs that make me nostalgic.
    Comedy gold, and it cheers me up instantly whenever I watch it.

I love lots of different types of movies, but this is the only one I'd save if all my DVDs were in flames. Well, this and Sparkhouse, but that's not strictly a movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭lawnmower_man

Im all for personal opinion....but I dont know how anyones favourite film COULDNT be Goodfellas. The dialogue, the acting, directing.....it is all just too good. To think that it didnt win Best Picture is criminal.

the soprano,s is superior to goodfellas on every level and the first two godfathers are in a different league , i like goodfellas but its a tad overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

the soprano,s is superior to goodfellas on every level and the first two godfathers are in a different league , i like goodfellas but its a tad overrated

This whole post is wrong.

My personal favourite, Forrest Gump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Was just going to say this.Such an epic movie.It has everything: Comedy,romance,drama etc.

I can watch it over and over again and it never gets boring.There's so many unbelievable quotes aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cat320

For me it has to be DOG SOLDIERS

Funny, good horror and entertaining, I will never tire of watching it!

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    This whole post is wrong.

care to elaborate as to why you disagree

i also like gump despite how manipulitive a film it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I'm stuck between LOTR as it's my favourite book or my absolute childhood favourite (don't laugh) Jurassic Park.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dr.Zeus

The Remains of the Day

Anthony Hopkins at his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Once Upon a Time in America.

Just such an epic movie....the scale of it blew me away the first time I saw it.

In fact, I think that's how I'll spend this evening. A few beers and a fantastic story spanning decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Once Upon a Time in America.

Just such an epic movie....the scale of it blew me away the first time I saw it.

In fact, I think that's how I'll spend this evening. A few beers and a fantastic story spanning decades.

I couldn't have put it better meself!

:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

heat

Dr.Zeus wrote: »
    The Remains of the Day

Anthony Hopkins at his best.

adore that film , hopkins gave the performance of his career ( foget silence of the lambs ) and was robbed by tom hanks for the oscar , emma thompson was also superb

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

The Sting...Newman and Redford in full swing and an awesome soundtrack!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

There was always something about The Truman Show I loved. Possibly because I'm a big fan of Carrey, and was refreshing and exciting to see him take on a serious role. But think it was the fact that this nice-guy protagonist had everything undeservedly thrown at him, while we as an audience where rooting him on to escape his fabricated life and to finally break-free and learn the truth at the end. Something in it that everyone can relate to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

the life and death of colonel blimp

blimp and a matter of life and death are constantly jockying for the first place spot in any list i'd make of my favourite films but being honest about it a matter of life and death only gets that close at all is because of david niven, blimp is just the perfect movie.

Hey, are you me? :)

Because you picked those I would have to say the Third Man. Great acting and I love the way Capra uses the darkness of Vienna. Made me visit Vienna years ago and take a ride on that Ferris wheel. :p

Advertisement