Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your SINGLE favourite film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford <3.

The most amazing cinematographic experience imaginable. The acting, the setting, the scenery, the tension, the soundtrack. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Has to be Happy Gilmore ("who the hell is Happy Gilmore?")

Never fails to make me laugh, must have watched it 1000+ times at this stage. One of Adam Sandlers (few) genuinely funny films. And his girlfriend in it is in Modern Family and she actually looks younger and hotter years later...botox is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ChtuluDawn

Once Were Warriors.

So many reasons why it is my favourite.

Absolutely towering performances from everyone of the central cast,particularly Rena Owen and Temuera Morrison.

Brilliant and more importantly,believable dialogue throughout.

It has an ending that is as heartbreaking as it is uplifting.

Ive watched it at least 30 times and it never fails to bring a lump to my throat.

Its a movie that everyone should watch at least once in their lives.

Flawless imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The Matrix.

I went to see this 4 times in the cinema, having never even been to watch the same movie in the cinema twice before. It had absolutely everything I could have ever wanted in a movie and I still really enjoy watching it now. I also only saw one trailer, which helped, and I deliberately didn't read anything about it beforehand so didn't know what the expect. Amazing movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

High Fidelity.

Great soundtrack. Flawed lead character. Fantastic performances. Never tire of watching it. Funny and sad.

And there's some great T shirts in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Judged by how many times ove watched them its a toss up between aliens and last of the mohicans. Mohicans probably wins though.
    Honourable mention goes to Warrior. Any film that can make make the adrenaline flood at the violence then has my eyes leaking a scene later is masterful storytelling in my book.
    So one: Last of the mohicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

The Exorcist.Scariest film i've ever seen hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Soldier.
    Its just a guilty pleasure of mine for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

ChtuluDawn wrote: »
    Once Were Warriors.

Absolutely towering performances from everyone of the central cast,particularly Rena Owen and Temuera Morrison.

Ive watched it at least 30 times and it never fails to bring a lump to my throat.

Flawless imo.
    Great film.
    Make the man some f-ing eggs woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

This changes day to day and just isn't fair.

That said today its Back to the Future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Ok here goes..... Dumb and Dumber.

There are others as listed above that I love as pure cinema but when forced to choose a film that I could sit and watch at any!! time, I have to go with this.

Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels are perfect in it and while it may be toilet humour (literally), it is just so roll on the floor (I did) jaw achingly funny. I'm sitting here smiling as I type at remembered scenes, and isn't that what your favorite movie should be about, that just thinking about it makes you want to watch it again and again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Mcanoif

Grosse Point Blank - Just love John Cusack

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

SuprSi wrote: »
    The Matrix.

Fcuk, I'm changing my answer to The Matrix, I forgot about it there for some unknown reason. People have asked me this question before and The Matrix has always been my answer, so I won't change now.

It's just such a slick movie. I remember watching it the first few times and being blown away by the insistant grandeur of it all; the breathtaking visuals, sound, plot, everything. Computers and computer nerds hadn't looked this cool since Hackers, which is perfect in my eyes as it has been my line of study and work. I've also been told several times that I look like Keanu Reeves so that adds to the romanticism I have for it. Oh and as with Hackers it has an awesome soundtrack; RATM, Deftones, The Prodigy to name but a few. Brilliant. The Matrix, final answer. I'll even throw in a couple of these:

:cool: <-
    :cool: <-

*Edit* Holy shiiit, post number 111, it's a sign I tells ya!

Serenity.

Its just brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I still get shivers down the spine when I see this scene

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Serenity.

Its just brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I still get shivers down the spine when I see this scene

"bastards not even changing course" fantastic scene, I felt way more excitement watching Serenity, especially that exact scene than I did watching the Star Wars prequels. Serenity is everything fun action blockbuster sci-fi should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

"Star Wars "first film I ever went to on the big screen in the savoy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Princess Mononoke. Not only for being gorgeous to look at, epic, heartfelt, thrilling and profound but it's the film that got me into cinema to begin with. It's still also the prime example of how animation has the ability to transcend the constraints of live action too. Myazaki has made a lot of great films but this was his great masterpiece to me. Everything about it works. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Alien, Every time the credits go up I just think, Wow, that was a perfect movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Cinema Paradiso. Just. Yes.

Edit: Just saw the discussion bit. It's beautiful. There.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

A Bronx Tale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

ChtuluDawn wrote: »
    Once Were Warriors.

Flawless imo.

First time I saw Once Were Warriors, I completely blacked out for a good 5 minutesfrom the shock. I can't remember walking the distance from the cinema to where I was when I snapped back.

My favourite film of all times is Dead Poets Society.
    Imagine me, 18 years old, just discovering the whole "going to the movies" ritual, and this film completely taking me over. I spent half the film crying, saw it three times the first month - and at least another dozen times ever since - and still crying every single time.
    O captain, my captain. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Strangely attached to Into The Wild starring Emile Hirsch, who gives an amazing performance. Always partial to a true story but the loneliness of this one always gets me

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Carlito's way..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Cocoon wrote: »
    Carlito's way..

Absolute gem. I was flicking through the channels at the weekend in the break of something else I was watching and stumbled upon it around the halfway mark. Even though I've seen it about ten times I soon forgot the other yoke I was watching and was glued to Carlito's way until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Trainspotting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Just read this whole thread and can't believe no-one mentioned True Romance!... That or Once Were Warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

City of God- Brilliant film, first time i seen it was after it won best international film at the Oscars(i think)....different class in my opinion, fantastic storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Extremely difficult decision but if I really have to just pick one it'ld be:

Fight Club

I just love the concept, the philosophy, the plot, how the charecters of Ed Norton and Brad Pitt develop over the course of the movie, the ending with all the banks being blown up, everything!

And it has some of my favourite quotes. "Its only after you've lost everything that you're truly free!".

Matrix comes a very very close 2nd...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Moulin Rouge, just everything about it tbh, i never get sick of it! :)
    Amazing movie, lines and scenes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Gone With The Wind for me.

It's the film I've watched the most in my life and contains everything I love about film - Amazing performances from wonderful actors (was there ever a more beautiful heroine...), drama, romance, tragedy, all on a massive scale.

So many memorable shots... Scarlett making her way through thousands of injured and dying soldiers, the burning of Atlanta, the beauty of Tara, that 'As God is my witness' scene and Rhett's final parting shot to Scarlett.

Just perfect in every way.

Advertisement