Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your SINGLE favourite film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Owryan wrote: »
    Grosse Point Blank.

Brilliant writing, awesome gun battles, and Dan Ackroyd is amazing.

yes he is :D and Jeremy Piven as the best friend "ten years!!! TENNN YEAAAARRS!"

cracking fight between Cusack and Benny "The Jet" (his real life martial arts trainer) as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Did we have this thread before?

Anyway it's an easy question..... Raiders of the Lost Ark, i'm possibly the biggest fan of this film on the planet.

Humour, action, adventure, romance, horror, fantasy, exotic locations, fantastic characters (both good and evil) and amazing soundtrack, the perfect film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Probaly goldfinger. I think it's the best bond film and also spy film ever. Classic villians, great soundtrack, pussy galore and sean Connery

FlashD wrote: »
    Did we have this thread before?

Anyway it's an easy question..... Raiders of the Lost Ark, i'm possibly the biggest fan of this film on the planet.

Humour, action, adventure, romance, horror, fantasy, exotic locations, fantastic characters (both good and evil) and amazing soundtrack, the perfect film.

challenge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Pulp Fiction, blew me away, nothing better before or since, imo.

/Thread.....:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Tango and cash.

Ive always thought it was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Easy.

Goodfellas. Its the only movie Ive ever seen that is simply perfect. Plot, acting, dialogue, directing, characters. It has been my favorite movie for the last 20 years and nothing has come close to beating it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

It's hard one for me as I adore a number of films like Snatch, Aliens, and my ultimate guilty pleasure that is Taken.

But if I had to pick one it has to be the usual suspects. Brilliant in almost every way and easily the best twist in movies IMO. LIke was mentioned above about the prestige on further viewings you notice little nods to the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Withnail & I.

Watch it once a year and never get sick of it. Shag all plot but the characters are just brilliant, almost every single one has at least one funny line/scene and the main characters never stop delivering.
    Whether you think Grant’s career since is pants or not, he could have retired after this role and still become a legend, it’s a remarkable performance.
    His and McGann’s characters are at times complete opposites but I can relate to both, don’t know what that says about me (And no, I’ve never been cornered by a raving homosexual)
    Always puts me in a good mood yet I still get saddened by the final scene. I discovered the film through friends and it always reminds me of good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

The Silence of the Lambs

EDIT: giving a reason why its my favorite movie to satisfy Johnny Ultimate on next page of thread.....Two words:

Goodbye Horses ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Godfather II. No matter how many times I watch it, or how often I revisit it, it'll always reveal something new.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

American Psycho for me. Christian Bales best film imo. He captures the insanity and coldness of Bateman so well. The supporting cast is excellent also, particularly Willlem Dafoe. It's equal parts hilarious and disturbing and it's infinitely quotable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

The only film i consistently watch every year:

Die Hard

Best action film ever IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Phazer

I could watch The Big Lewbowski pretty much on repeat for the rest of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Platoon, just got blown away by the realism of it. No other war film comes close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Unforgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

It's been in my top 3 since I first saw it when I was about 13, so Blade Runner.

And stop all this pussy-footin' "X or Y, unless Z " business, title clearly says SINGLE favourite film so man up and pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Shawshank Redemption, watching it makes me happy. There are no words to describe how much I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Owryan wrote: »
    Grosse Point Blank.

Brilliant writing, awesome gun battles, and Dan Ackroyd is amazing.
    krudler wrote: »
    yes he is :D and Jeremy Piven as the best friend "ten years!!! TENNN YEAAAARRS!"

cracking fight between Cusack and Benny "The Jet" (his real life martial arts trainer) as well.

Without a doubt, my favourite. Its infinately quotable. Great action, great comedy, great music, great dialogue. Its just perfect.

I flipping hate when you ask someone their favourite movie and they cant tell you.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Without a doubt, my favourite. Its infinately quotable. Great action, great comedy, great music, great dialogue. Its just perfect.

I flipping hate when you ask someone their favourite movie and they cant tell you.

I float betwen Raiders and Jaws, its one or the other, making a decision is like Sophies Choice.

GPB is great though, some of Aykroyds lines are fantasic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

The Searchers, grew up on a diet of John Wayne Westerns and its the one consistent movie I watch ever time its on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

So many and different every day- but if I had to pick one

Jean Cocteau's La Belle et la Bete .

Such originality and beauty -unsurpassed.

Started my love affair with French films in particular and foreign language movies in general .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Nothing will ever beat The Shawshank Redemption.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

People are always keen to tell you their top 5 "in no particular order" or mumble and mention about three films when you ask them straight out what their favourite film is. It's a very difficult thing to do, but I think everyone should be able to tell you what their favourite film is at any given moment. Maybe it changes from day to day or minute to minute, but you should have an answer ready when somebody jumps out of a train and throws the question at you.

Why the need to be so definitive? I imagine the odds of a hypothetical situation occurring where your life and death depends on you immediately citing your favourite film are rather low (and why would somebody jump out of a train? Seems foolish). TBH, there are so many films I love for such vastly different reasons - from the winning charm of My Neighbour Totoro, to the subversive joys of Eternal Sunshine, through an untarnished childhood fondness for Toy Story - to pick one as a more important experience seems... unfair and simplistic.

That said, the giddy, mind-opening experience of watching Persona for the first time is probably unequaled. There are a few films that I'd cite as particularly formative in my defining overall film taste, but watching Persona one summer night was revelatory in countless ways. A film almost fifty years old, yet its insanely themes, technical wizardry and powerhouse acting has lost not an inch of its power to provoke, wow and challenge. It's pure cinema, an a perfect example of how ambition and skill in every single aspect of the prouction is key to make a truly remarkable film. It's a film one can endlessly analyse both on its own terms and within the greater context of Bergman's filmography and emerge with great insight. That you can actively track Bergman's process to this and after this masterpiece is one of the greatest joys of all. It's influence on cinema - including overt references in everything from Mullholland Drive to Woody Allen's work - is a further gift, and it's a film that can help you understand and appreciate cinema to a much greater degree than 99.9% of other films.

It's not the only film that has come to define my love of cinema (particularly doesn't describe my passion for Asian cinema), but I guess if some psychotic asshole forced me to simplify it down to one title for some vague and nonsensical reason, Persona wouldn't be the worst choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Just one? Ok, hmmm, The Silence of the Lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

My favourite film is the one which is framed and hanging on my bedroom wall, The Goonies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh, and while I'm just going to leave this open because it's easier than locking it, give a reason or two at least. If you can't justify your favourite film, what the heck are you doing on a film discussion board :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Christiane F. Great film that you don't hear much about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

(and why would somebody jump out of a train?

Really? Happens to me at least once a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

For me it has to be The Last of the Mochicans.
    Day Lewis is an amazing actor and the fight scenes are very realistic.

I know we were only asked our favourite but Gladiator would be up there as well for me.

Advertisement