Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

New Beirut album out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

New Ian Brown album out today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

The new Guided by Pearl Jam is kinda good but not great and thats the problem with most 'hyped'albums so far this year ..i fully expect the next idles album to be a bit cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

After a few more listens I now think the Deerhunter album is great. It's very slow and grey, but it works on you if you give it enough time, but I can see how many mightn't be able to get past that initial period of yeah whatever.

New Cass McCombs album sounds really good on first listen. His gig in Whelans a few years ago was some night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Acosta

Pye Corner Audio - Hollow Earth

Already sounds amazing after just a couple of listens.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Been listening to the latest RY X record Unfurl a lot over the weekend, would highly recommend this. Also listened to the new Woman's Hour record Ephyra and Methyl Ethel record Triage and on a first listen I'm really liking them both.

Banging tune ..not sure if the album is full of these but will certainly aquire it

Some really good records out last Friday. Abjects -never give up, Feels - post earth, Teeth of the sea - wraith, Adia Victoria - Silences, Gary Clarke Jr - This Land and the one I been listening to a lot in between all the above is Pom Poko - Birthday. I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Acosta wrote: »
    Pye Corner Audio - Hollow Earth

Already sounds amazing after just a couple of listens.

PCA are class. This is going on my list for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Getting a kick lately out of the album Mazy Fly by Spelling. Didn't know what to make of it at first, seemed a bit Portishead-lite or something, but it's weird atmosphere and surreal songs have grown on me after a while. The singer has a really cool soul singer voice and that mixed with off-kilter synth sounds is a good combo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

New National album coming May 17th

I Am Easy To Find tracklisting
    1. You Had Your Soul With You
    2. Quiet Light
    3. Roman Holiday
    4. Oblivions
    5. The Pull Of You
    6. Hey Rosey
    7. I Am Easy To Find
    8. Her Father In The Pool
    9. Where Is Her Head
    10. Not In Kansas
    11. So Far So Fast
    12. Dust Swirls In Strange Light
    13. Hairpin Turns
    14. Rylan
    15. Underwater
    16. Light Years

I’m loving Helado Negro’s new albums. It’s one of the most beautiful things I’ve heard in a long time. It sounds like what I’d imagine if Kevin Parker got free rein producing a Richard Hawley album.

Enjoying Broken Social Scene’s new mini album. It’s their first music that’s clicked with me in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Been listening to Beware of the Dogs by Stella Donnelly all weekend. Her singing voice and quirky lyrics are a winning combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

enjoying the new Cinematic Orchestra "to believe" album - worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Stephen Malkus new album is worth a listen, bit of electronica, bit of the usual

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

New National album coming May 17th

I Am Easy To Find tracklisting
    1. You Had Your Soul With You

That's all I had managed this week. Not filling me with confidence. Very samey and could have been plucked from the last album bh. Which I also didn't really dig.

TBH I would like them to feck off for a few years. They've been here way too often and the lack of quality in their releases is showing.

Plus them not playing "Mistaken for Strangers" every time I see them is now just a bad joke.

Its not perfect but priests mass seduction is worth having a listen ..political punk rock not many doing that ..also texas instruments is a gem of a track

A bunch of great records came out last Friday Witching Waves - Persistence, Ioanna Gika - Thalassa, Circa Waves - What's it like over there?, False Bliss - Ritual Terrains and of course the new Priests record.

Crows - Silver Tongues came out around the end of March and have listened the sh*te out of that. I think it will be in my top ten albums of the year for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

A bunch of great records came out last Friday Witching Waves - Persistence, Ioanna Gika - Thalassa, Circa Waves - What's it like over there?, False Bliss - Ritual Terrains and of course the new Priests record.

Crows - Silver Tongues came out around the end of March and have listened the sh*te out of that. I think it will be in my top ten albums of the year for this year.

Crows supported idles last week, thought they were excellent. Meant to grab the vinyl at the merch stand afterwards but forgot :o

Durand Jones and the Indications 'American Love call' out since early march has been getting tons of airplay in my gaff.

• Advertisement

Crows supported idles last week, thought they were excellent. Meant to grab the vinyl at the merch stand afterwards but forgot :o

Saw them there too, they were excellent. They're playing Kasbah in Limerick on the 26th of this month and the following night in SoundHouse in Dublin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Dogrel from Fontaines DC. It's very distinctively Dublin.

Amirani wrote: »
    Dogrel from Fontaines DC. It's very distinctively Dublin.

And resonating the world over ..87 on metacritic thats probably one of the highest ratings ever for a debut Irish album..

https://www.metacritic.com/music/dogrel/fontaines-dc

tr/st destroyer a masterpiece
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQGdhNISj7Y

tr/st destroyer a masterpiece
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQGdhNISj7Y

Nice shout, had forgotten about them (him)! Really loved the first album when it was out, the second one was not as memorable but still decent. Must check this one out.

Nice shout, had forgotten about them (him)! Really loved the first album when it was out, the second one was not as memorable but still decent. Must check this one out.

Seen them as trust years ago in workmans, was hoping he would hit Dublin on his recently announced European tour but not to be.
    Most of the shows sold out pretty fast.
    Enjoy the album!

Seen them as trust years ago in workmans, was hoping he would hit Dublin on his recently announced European tour but not to be.
    Most of the shows sold out pretty fast.
    Enjoy the album!

I was meant to see them as support to Yeasayer in Manchester in 2012 (was living in England at the time) but then Yeasayer postponed because one of them had a baby and when the gig was rescheduled it was Glass Animals (pretty much unknown at the time) who provided the support instead, who were grand except I had initially bought the ticket more to see Trust than Yeasayer so was kinda disappointing.

And I didn't even get to see all of Yeasayer's set as I had to leave early to get last train back from Manchester to Nottingham. Which of course was then delayed, meaning I could have stayed for the whole set and still made it. >_<;

I was meant to see them as support to Yeasayer in Manchester in 2012 (was living in England at the time) but then Yeasayer postponed because one of them had a baby and when the gig was rescheduled it was Glass Animals (pretty much unknown at the time) who provided the support instead, who were grand except I had initially bought the ticket more to see Trust than Yeasayer so was kinda disappointing.

And I didn't even get to see all of Yeasayer's set as I had to leave early to get last train back from Manchester to Nottingham. Which of course was then delayed, meaning I could have stayed for the whole set and still made it. >_<;

Do u like yeasayer? You mention them alot? I never got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Stealing Sheep album out last Friday, electro, wonky pop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

And resonating the world over ..87 on metacritic thats probably one of the highest ratings ever for a debut Irish album..

https://www.metacritic.com/music/dogrel/fontaines-dc

Probably because the Internet hardly existed back when Isn't Anything was released.
    Gave Dogrel a listen but I don't get the hype.

Advertisement