Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Probably because the Internet hardly existed back when Isn't Anything was released.
    Gave Dogrel a listen but I don't get the hype.

Yes I did mean on metacritic specifically since I started using it in the internet era:) ..hozier debut 2014 79 ..many other Irish albums dont even get a mention .difference between good reviews and hype ..that said I still haven't heard it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

just listening to Pete Doherty & The Puta Madres

sounds really good on first listen!

very folky,lots of violins ,its great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

New Alduous Harding is gorgeous late night music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭mosstin

just listening to Pete Doherty & The Puta Madres

sounds really good on first listen!

very folky,lots of violins ,its great

The most pointless cock in the history of recorded music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

mosstin wrote: »
    The most pointless cock in the history of recorded music.

lol oh look ,someone who reads The Sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

lol oh look ,someone who reads The Sun

I can assure you that, as a true fan of Liverpool FC, there is no way in the world Mr. Mosstin would even pick up that scummy rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭divide_by_zero

New record by Lamb - The Secret of Letting Go is really good. I've been a fan for years and love this. Also Parekh & Singh new record Science City is worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

loving Derry artist SOAK's new album Grim Town. Addictive and lush pop and her amazing vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Acosta

''Laughing Matter'', the new album from Wand out last week. Very good, but not as good as some of their earlier stuff

I can assure you that, as a true fan of Liverpool FC, there is no way in the world Mr. Mosstin would even pick up that scummy rag.

IS RIGHT. ;)

• Advertisement

New album UFOF by Big Thief is out now. 'Capacity' was gorgeous and this sounds great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

New album by A Lazarus Soul is great. A real commentary on Ireland past and present

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Enjoying Vampire Weekend’s new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Welcome home by Hannah Cohen , I think it's stunning . Dreamy , can't stop listening

That BR album is so amazing its like being in the 90's again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I wasn't gone at it first, it felt a bit all over the place and kinda sappy, but it gets better the more you listen to it. Some great melodies and cool production throughout.

Love this tune-

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Genuinely I have no idea how anyone likes these. Absolute garbage for me.

lordgoat wrote: »

I heard a song on the radio thought it pretty good and suprised to hear it was vampire weekend ..don't know the song name though and the song above is not great I think a good video always help convey the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I heard a song on the radio thought it pretty good and suprised to hear it was vampire weekend ..don't know the song name though and the song above is not great I think a good video always help convey the message.
    You probably heard Harmony Hall, anyway here's my favourite song off the album. Going to see them in Trinity in July.

ShaneU wrote: »
    You probably heard Harmony Hall, anyway here's my favourite song off the album. Going to see them in Trinity in July.

Jaysus that's awful muck.

• Advertisement

That BR album is so amazing its like being in the 90's again

Hmmm....it's good but a long way behind the likes of this imo:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I can't really say anything about whatever they've put out prior to this. I never bothered listening to any of it properly. I heard that song A-Punk far too much for my liking and it did absolutely nothing for me and I just lumped them into the category of the overpraised.

But I did give this new album a chance and I'm glad that I did. I thought very little of it at first listen - seemed very lightweight really, but I like to listen to an album about three or four times before forming anything resembling a set opinion and while I think it's definitely too long as a whole - there's a few of the songs that could have easily been culled - and its outward "shiny" and polished quality could put a lot of people off, there's definitely something going on in a lot of the songs that keep me coming back.

There is a lot of depth and meticulous detail to the tracks. I love the song Flower Moon. It morphs and changes constantly over four minutes, with different melodies and voices coming and going, complementing each other and changing the feel and mood and there's loads going on instrumentally all the time, but it's subtle and rewards your attention. You can enjoy the song just for the melodies and harmonies, but if you really listen close the obvious craft and care put into the song is very satisfying to hear.

And the albums full of that. I also think it's interesting how the songs sound happy and pleasant, but the lyrics are quite dark throughout the whole thing.

Hmmm....it's good but a long way behind the likes of this imo:

I dont hear any difference really and that's a testment to them looking back on albums like No Control

is Anesthesia their best song ?

This is the one ..unusual vocals

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I am finding The National's new album I Am Easy To Find all sorts of meh. It's like a remix album with guest singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

All subjective I suppose. It's hardly "garbage" though, or rubbish as we say in Ireland.

I'm not a fan of Vampire Weekend, but interesting production and instrument treatments etc, and really good guitar stuff going on. The sum total wouldn't really be my cup of tea though bar a few songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I am finding The National's new album I Am Easy To Find all sorts of meh. It's like a remix album with guest singers.

Exactly the statement a mate made yesterday morning to me when he got listening to it.

First couple of tracks I had heard the last while sounded like Sleep Well Beast which did nothing for me at all anyway.

You could see this road and form coming on Trouble Will Find Me which is only half an album. They have no material at the moment. They need to go away for awhile and remember why Boxer, High Violet and Alligator were so goddam good.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Half an album! I know what you mean. I thought the same- that the first few high tempo tracks were great, but that the later slower ones like ‘Pink Rabbits’ and ‘I Need my Girl’ were pointless. I’ve since gotten to like them through osmosis.

Sleep Well Beast passed me by on the first few listens. A friend persuaded me to go to the Donnybrook gig last year. I listened to it a lot in the run-up and really got into it. I think ‘The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness’ is up there with anything they’ve written.

My initial verdict on the new album is meh, but I’ve learnt at this stage that they’re a real slow burn. I’ll certainly give it a good few more listens.
    You could see this road and form coming on Trouble Will Find Me which is only half an album. They have no material at the moment. They need to go away for awhile and remember why Boxer, High Violet and Alligator were so goddam good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Acosta

The new Death And Vanilla album, 'Are You A Dreamer' is pretty good.

And if like me you like your krautrock, then check out 'Sinie Sinie' from Ashinoa.

Advertisement